Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doctor Who - Hollywood Film?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

It seems Moffat has cleared up any confusion and stamped his authority on any future film:
    Speaking in the latest issue of Doctor Who Magazine (442), Doctor Who Showrunner, Steven Moffat had the following to say regarding the recent Doctor Who movie rumours:
    "The very brilliant David Yates was talking off the cuff and a little prematurely: there simply are no developed plans for a Doctor Who movie at the moment. But it's an incredibly exciting idea to get that magic blue box flying across our cinema screens, so stand by for further developments.
    However, if and when the movie happens, it will need to star television's Doctor Who - and there's only every one of those at a time. And it would need to come out of the same production operation that makes the series. Doctor Who is a vitally important BBC brand with a huge international audience and not even Hollywood can start this one from scratch.
    So sorry if there's been any confusion, but on the plus side it has reminded us all what an exciting prospect this could be. Whatever happens, the BBC and BBC Worldwide will work together to ensure that we don't just get a movie, we get the movie everyone wants. But keep asking me about it - maybe I'll surprise you with an answer!"
    + Subscribe to Doctor Who Magazine viaUnique Magazines.

http://news.drwho-online.co.uk/Moffat-Clarifies-Doctor-Who-Movie-Rumours.aspx

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,899 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Hollywood has started Batman and Superman from scratch ? So I d'ont know what he is talking about.

The real main problem is that USA took Torchwood and screwed up a great programme, and they could do the same with Who.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The mythologies and media are completely different though - Batman / Superman are comics that have been running non-stop every week for about 60/70 years. I can't imagine how those characters would have survived without reboots.

Besides, Doctor Who doesn't need to be rebooted - this is why we have regeneration in the first place, to completely sidestep the desire to arbitrarily reset the narrative on a whim. In fact, that this thread exists is because of RTD's neat reintroduction of the show to a TV audience unfamiliar with the show's history - a movie with the current crew wouldn't be that hard to accomplish.

And having watched the godawful Star Trek reboot over Xmas, there's no way in hell I want some starry-eyed Hollywood producer pawing all over another well-loved TV franchise.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

ebbsy wrote: »
    Hollywood has started Batman and Superman from scratch ? So I d'ont know what he is talking about.

The real main problem is that USA took Torchwood and screwed up a great programme, and they could do the same with Who.

It's easy to look at the dark knight and forget American TV and movies have nearly killed batman, twice over.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I hate bumped threads from years ago, but figured it made more sense to bump this than start a new thread: seems that among the documents posted on Wikileaks relating to the Sony Studios hack, includes information relating to the studio's attempt to make a Dr. Who film. Sounds like Moffat & co. are the biggest blockers to this, and I gotta be honest would be on the side of the production team on this.

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/leaked-sony-emails-reveals-doctor-who-movie-plans-73062.htm

• Advertisement
Advertisement