Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Must... not... buy... new... hardware!

Options
  • 14-11-2011 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭

Specs in signature, should I upgrade to a 2500K?

I'd get, what, €300-320 for CPU/motherboard/RAM on Adverts? Overclockers have the lot for €360+delivery, Dabs for €390. Would I get that much? Should I wait?

I hate when this happens...

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Serephucus wrote: »
    Specs in signature, should I upgrade to a 2500K?

I'd get, what, €300-320 for CPU/motherboard/RAM on Adverts? Overclockers have the lot for €360+delivery, Dabs for €390. Would I get that much? Should I wait?

I hate when this happens...

If you could get €300-320 for it on adverts then yes:

Item|Price
    Total build cost: €331.48 + €30 shipping
    Intel Core i5-2500K Box, LGA1155|€183.70
    ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3, Sockel 1155, ATX|€116.27
    8GB-Kit G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9|€31.51

€40-60 for about a 10-15% increase in performance after overclocking. Also the benefit of SSD caching. Reinstalling all your stuff would be a pain though.

However I don't think there's a lot of demand for the LGA1136 stuff given how good Sandy Bridge is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

There's no point in waiting IMO as there's always something else round the corner, saying that I don't think you'll get that kind of money on adverts as sandybridge can be had for not a whole lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Well, given that the RAM I have still goes for €90 new, the board is €240 and the processor is €250, I don't think €300 is much to ask. You might be able to get a 2nd gen setup for a bit more, but the RAM is faster (for what little it'll do in games, it helps with other stuff, just not stuff anyone here is likely to use) and the board has a few things most SBs don't (10 SATA ports, dual LAN, etc.)

@ deconduo, I was actually thinking of the UD3P. I've heard a few bad things about the ASRock Extreme boards as far as OCing goes. (Bearing in mind that if I do do this, I'll be going for 5GHz+)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

With the hardware in your sig, could you hold for 4 months for Ivy Bridge?

That's what I'm thinking. I was planning on getting the 2500K now, with the intension of going to IB when it came out. Going now rather than later would mean less of a loss on my current hardware when sold, but then I figured I might as well wait for IB motherboards, PCIe 3.0 (even though it's not really needed, but hey), and more importantly, improvements to SRT (hopefully).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

That's what I'm thinking. I was planning on getting the 2500K now, with the intension of going to IB when it came out. Going now rather than later would mean less of a loss on my current hardware when sold, but then I figured I might as well wait for IB motherboards, PCIe 3.0 (even though it's not really needed, but hey), and more importantly, improvements to SRT (hopefully).

Thats my plan aswell...Immad to upgrade the system but 4 mths aint long to wait and during the interim will be going water very similar to your set up(phobya 1080) but with 4x 180 fans @700 rpm...nice and quiet with very little differance in cooling compared to 9x 120mm fans...

just have to wait for the xmas bonus from work...:cool:

dwighet wrote: »
    Thats my plan aswell...Immad to upgrade the system but 4 mths aint long to wait and during the interim will be going water very similar to your set up(phobya 1080) but with 4x 180 fans @700 rpm...nice and quiet with very little differance in cooling compared to 9x 120mm fans...

just have to wait for the xmas bonus from work...:cool:

I'm only using 4x120mm fans as well. What ones were you looking at? (I've used quite a few "quiet" rad fans at this point.)

You're cooling CF 6990s, right? You may need a fan or two more for that, I'm not sure.

I'm only using 4x120mm fans as well. What ones were you looking at? (I've used quite a few "quiet" rad fans at this point.)

You're cooling CF 6990s, right? You may need a fan or two more for that, I'm not sure.

cf 6970`s they are....have a look at this is you havnt seen it...
    http://www.youtube.com/user/TimeToLiveCustoms#p/u/10/Am7ypdKUgfU

Its a good reveiw....Sold me...

Yup, I've seen that. It's a nice radiator alright, but it's a bit of a pain to bleed. Mine took a full day.

What fans were you looking at for it, by the way?

Yup, I've seen that. It's a nice radiator alright, but it's a bit of a pain to bleed. Mine took a full day.

What fans were you looking at for it, by the way?

4x these fans

And this Adaptor to suit the 4x 180mm fans

Im still working on the pump and waterblocks for the 6970`s...going for the xspc raystorm for the cpu..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Are these new cpu's definitely only four months away?

Four months? I heard Summer 2012. Honestly I haven't looked into IB at all really. I had my heart set on 2011.

@dwighet: Ah, I thought it was 4x120. You'll be grand in that case. My setup (4x120) cools what I have perfectly, so 4x180 will be a piece of cake.

Four months? I heard Summer 2012. Honestly I haven't looked into IB at all really. I had my heart set on 2011.

@dwighet: Ah, I thought it was 4x120. You'll be grand in that case. My setup (4x120) cools what I have perfectly, so 4x180 will be a piece of cake.

Cheers mate....
    It aint cheap but will be nice and quiet and keep the impotant parts cool so they can be working hard overclocked and chewing up the ESB bill like they should:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

54kroc wrote: »
    Are these new cpu's definitely only four months away?

No. :D

wikipedia wrote:

Advertisement