Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Any one with 1st Gen iPod Nano? - you might be entitled to a replacement from Apple

• 14-11-2011 9:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭

it seems that apple are recalling some their 1st generation nano's !!!

news report of recall

I've one that is still in occasional use .. and just went through the apple support page and should be expecting a replacement shortly !!! fingers cross it's a newer generation.

https://supportform.apple.com/201110/

i'll let you know how I get on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

just got that email myself - i bought two at the time - one for me and one for hubbie. Have been through the support process and it says they are sending out a special box to return mine in and then i'll get replacements - sweet!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭dr strangelove

you mean it's legit?

crap, back to the spam email folder.......

you mean it's legit?

crap, back to the spam email folder.......

yip - its legit!! am delighted - i still use mine and the battery is done - it'll only last about 30mins after being fully charged - was saving for a new one for myself - so so chuffed!

from stories from others, apple seem to pretty good about replacing faulty goods!

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,578 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Got the email myself. Battery doesn't last at all, and it's scratched to bits. Going to check shortly if it's one of the ones!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭dubmick

Apple are sending me out an envelope to return it. Very interested to see if they replace it with the latest model.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

Mine doesn't work anymore as the screen cracked. Does it say anywhere that it must be undamage or not working ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 280 ✭✭Rodar08

Sweeeet!! :D I just filled in the form and am now patiently waiting on the special package to send my 5 year old nano back for a new one :D

I'm also dying to know which iPod they'll send back .. do you reckon it'll be the same one, 1st gen model? Aah come on now Apple, you admitted yourself it's got a dodgy battery. Compensation, worry, sentimental attachement to our old iPod Nano's etc. etc. surely all that counts for an ugrade... and the wee 1st gen iPos nano's are like soooo 5 years ago :D:D

pleaseletitbeanipodtouch pleaseletitbeanipodtouch pleaseletitbeanipodtouch ... then Merry Christmas ME!!! Woo!:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭kate.m

I've an iPod nano (my first iPod) and the battery is wrecked so it only works when plugged into a charger and for a few minutes after I plug it out...I'm almost certain it's 1st generation....am I entitled to send it back? I don't mind if im not - have my itouch. :) thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

I can always say my screen got broken in the post?

Hope they even take broken ones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68 ✭✭Rein-in

kate.m wrote: »
    I've an iPod nano (my first iPod) and the battery is wrecked so it only works when plugged into a charger and for a few minutes after I plug it out...I'm almost certain it's 1st generation....am I entitled to send it back? I don't mind if im not - have my itouch. :) thanks

Just stick the serial number into the Apple support page (linked in the OP) and if it's one of the recalled devices they'll send you the box for it and repalce it. They don't say what they'll replace it with, just "a replacement iPod". It could be a refurbed unit.

Looks like my seldom (never) used Nano is going to be replaced. I hope they don't inspect them first; it's not in great condition! Still works though.

• Advertisement

Rein-in wrote: »
    Just stick the serial number into the Apple support page (linked in the OP) and if it's one of the recalled devices they'll send you the box for it and repalce it. They don't say what they'll replace it with, just "a replacement iPod". It could be a refurbed unit.

Looks like my seldom (never) used Nano is going to be replaced. I hope they don't inspect them first; it's not in great condition! Still works though.

They said they're sending me a box and I'd receive a replacement afterwards...if this actually happens I'll be VERY happy. I dropped and cracked my itouch last thursday (it still works - just has a 3 crack lines and the corner doesn't look good..) and I'm afraid using it will mean further damage - so a replacement ipod would be amazing. The cost to repair it is 90e (ireland) and over 110e if I send it to apple - and I'm in the process of saving so that won't happen.

Like you I hope they don't inspect them!

I'm not expecting it tbh -

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Aww I lost mine a few years ago :( I loved that thing! What if I send the original box and receipt would that suffice? :pac:

Sweet! Am being sent out a package for mine. Should be interesting to see what happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

Still have mine and use it religiously (my brother too), lotta battle-damage as to be expected from having it over five years but it still works grand minus low battery life. Chuffed to hear about this! :D

I wouldn't get hopes up about it being a newer model we get returned, but then again if the battery's fecked in all of the first generation models they'd hardly go out of their way to remake em with a proper battery, would they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭yomamasflavour

According to Mashable.com They're replacing them with 1st gen ipods.
    Apple told Mashable it will be replacing recalled first-generation iPod Nanos with first-generation Nanos, not the new ones many had hoped would be sent.

Mashable talked with an Apple spokesperson on the phone, who confirmed the company will be sending first-generation iPod Nanos to those whose serial numbers match the units with defective batteries.

Though considering batteries don't have a shelf life of 5 years, even if they had a stockpile of 1st gen ipods they'd have to replace the batteries in them.

So I imagine they will merely refurbish used ones and send them instead?

Though where do they even get the batteries to do that, they're hardly going to start manufacturing new 1st gen compatible batteries especially?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Saw this and wondered how much they fetch on Fleabay. Found two listings with Questions for the Seller

"Can you tell me the Serial Number"

AND HE GAVE IT TO THEM!! :rolleyes:

They buy it, return it to Apple and get a possibly new Generation. :rolleyes: Silly Seller.

According to Mashable.com They're replacing them with 1st gen ipods.

Though considering batteries don't have a shelf life of 5 years, even if they had a stockpile of 1st gen ipods they'd have to replace the batteries in them.

So I imagine they will merely refurbish used ones and send them instead?

Though where do they even get the batteries to do that, they're hardly going to start manufacturing new 1st gen compatible batteries especially?

ah shame - should've known it was too good to be true!!!

Got an email from them there. It won't be replaced if its in anyway damaged. Basically, if it was still under standard warranty. No smashed screens I'm afraid!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭yomamasflavour

Although there was nothing in the email that I received, according to people on the US apple support forum the emails they received included a clause
    If Apple determines, while inspecting your product, that service is needed due to the failure of parts that are neither supplied by Apple nor Apple-branded, Apple may return the product to you without servicing it, and may charge you the diagnostic fee plus applicable sales tax.

Which seems a bit like a scam, send in your faulty ipod and if it has some other problem we won't fix it, but will charge you $100 for looking at it.

Ridiculous considering that's not far off the cost of a new 6th gen nano.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It's not a scam. That clause is to discourage people from sending them broken ipods and wasting their time. They are actually trying to protect themselves from being scammed by chancers who fancy getting a new iPod for free by sending in their old one that got run over by a bus or some piece of broken crap they bought off eBay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭JimiMac

Has anybody received the box yet - I'm still waiting. I think you could be waiting a number of weeks for the replacement after returning the box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,484 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

JimiMac wrote: »
    Has anybody received the box yet - I'm still waiting. I think you could be waiting a number of weeks for the replacement after returning the box.

Our initial diagnosis indicates that because your product replacement will likely be covered by the warranty, an AppleCare Protection Plan, or another Apple repair or exchange program, there should be no charge to you. If we have questions or concerns regarding the repair coverage, we will notify you.

Within ten business days, you should receive the return instructions for the original and shipping materials for you to use. Please don't use any other package, because if the original is damaged in shipping as a result of improper packaging, it will not be eligible for service and will be returned to you unrepaired. Do not include any other items, such as the power cord, as they will not be returned to you. The ship time to Apple will be approximately two business days. Apple will send you an email when your product reaches the repair center.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭lisaj

Mine has been working fine, haven't had any problems with it at all and I actually really like the design of the first gen nano. I filled in the form yesterday evening, so just waiting on the box now, who's going to say no to a new ipod in exchange for the one I got for Christmas in 2005!?
    The new generation nano's are pretty cheap so maybe they might send one of those, I don't reckon they're as hardy though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭Type 17

They mention that if your iPod is personalised (engraved), that you will receive a non-personalised one back, so it appears that you will get someone else's refurbished one - they'll replace the battery, wipe the memory, test the rest of the components, and replace the outer casing with a new one, so it'll feel like a new device, but it will still be a 1st-gen Nano - you won't be getting a current-gen one.

Mines engraved. Once I have one that has a lasting battery I'm happy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭dubmick

They are replacing them with 1st generation nano's :(

http://t.co/gtQq639D (mac rumours link)

Wait...if i send my iPod back and they decide the battery isn't this reason it's not working properly..I've to pay?! Second thoughts now....might just use that money to repair the screen in my itouch...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

JimiMac wrote: »

Yes, I received my box a few days ago. It comes with a UPS return bag, you just call them and they pick it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 ILoveBargains

Has anyone received the box to return their nano?

I received it, but it's only a padded envelope. Surely the nano would end up damaged in transit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

Come on second gen . . . .

Advertisement