Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Any one with 1st Gen iPod Nano? - you might be entitled to a replacement from Apple

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,578 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I still haven't received mine yet. Hmmm...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭dubmick

I sent mine back over a week ago but the status on the apple site says that the box has shipped. No sign of them receiving the nano.

Anyone get one back yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

dubmick wrote: »
    I sent mine back over a week ago but the status on the apple site says that the box has shipped. No sign of them receiving the nano.

Anyone get one back yet?

Mine has been at Step 3 for a couple of weeks. Supposedly it could take 6 weeks in total.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 92 ✭✭pippam

My iPod is in perfect condition, no scratches on it, was always kept in a case. But it stopped working a couple of years ago and I never got around to getting it fixed. Makes sense now that the battery probably fried as it was a defect. Got the UPS envelope yesterday, rang them up and arranged a collection. Took 2 weeks and 1 day before the envelope came. I'd say it will take a good while before it gets sorted.

Has anyone received the box to return their nano?

I received it, but it's only a padded envelope. Surely the nano would end up damaged in transit!

Apparently they ran out of boxes due to high unexpected demand. So their sending padded envelopes out instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87 ✭✭elleelle19

My iPod is still in perfect condition, I hope it doesn't get damaged in transit because they sent me just a crappy padded envelope :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,484 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

pippam wrote: »
    Apparently they ran out of boxes due to high unexpected demand. So their sending padded envelopes out instead.

So they might concievably also run out of 1st gen Nano replacements - woohoo!

If someone receives the replacement, will you let us know what it's like please. Thanks

coylemj wrote: »
    So they might concievably also run out of 1st gen Nano replacements - woohoo!

I don't think their actually replacing them, their refurbishing them. Replacing the battery and the case, doing a check that it runs ok and sends it back.

pippam wrote: »
    I don't think their actually replacing them, their refurbishing them. Replacing the battery and the case, doing a check that it runs ok and sends it back.

homer-doh.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭kinetic

Mine went off in the plastic bag yesterday

Does anyone know if you can you drop it off to the UPS place in Lombard St. off Pearse St? I haven't phoned them yet.

I know you can get them to collect but I don't fancy being a prisoner in my house for half a day, have gone through that with UPC a few times in the past few months!

coylemj wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you can you drop it off to the UPS place in Lombard St. off Pearse St? I haven't phoned them yet.

I know you can get them to collect but I don't fancy being a prisoner in my house for half a day, have gone through that with UPC a few times in the past few months!

I think you can specify what time they can collect it. Also, they can collect it from your work. But I'm more than sure that you can drop in in their depot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

antodeco wrote: »
    Got an email from them there. It won't be replaced if its in anyway damaged. Basically, if it was still under standard warranty. No smashed screens I'm afraid!

My nano was pretty perfect, just one button you had to press a bit harder to get to work. Hope that doesn't count as damaged

It's off in the post now anyway. Anyone got theirs back yet?

I'd love if they replace it with a gen 1. I don't want a ipod "breaks-when-you-drop-it" touch. I want to be able to stick it, go running and change songs easily, not sweat up the touch screen (I also have a touch)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Got another question... where do I go to check the status of my nano? Been wondering around the apple support page for a while now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevin2me

gubbie wrote: »
    Got another question... where do I go to check the status of my nano? Been wondering around the apple support page for a while now

Hey I got my UPS parcel 2 weeks ago, yet to send off , sending tomorrow
    Apple sends you email with full link when you registry or can log in with:
    https://selfsolve.apple.com/repairstatus/

My Case still open, so still safe to send,
    if apple support case is closed ask for second UPS parcel, otherwise you'll run into issues.

Kev

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭lisaj

Sent mine off the other day, took a picture of it working first as well, just in case! On the apple repair site, it just says that they've sent off the packaging, the problems haven't been diagnosed yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Mine is dead in a drawer somewhere... Might chance it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

Tallon wrote: »
    Mine is dead in a drawer somewhere... Might chance it

Tallon, you'll be glad to hear that anybody who didn't jump the gun and send it back straight away will be getting a brand new 6th Gen Nano!

Macrumors Link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Nice, :)

• Advertisement

Nooooo.... I love my 1st gen nano. The 6th gen's are so flimsy. I think the click wheel is so much better than a touch screen for use out running and in the car etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Tallon, you'll be glad to hear that anybody who didn't jump the gun and send it back straight away will be getting a brand new 6th Gen Nano!

Macrumors Link

Same as that - i only heard about this yesterday. Did a bit of rooting about last night and pulled out my 1st gen Nano. Stuck in the serial number in the Apple replacement site - sorted..... looking forward to getting my new replacement Nano :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Wetai

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭kate.m

Despite getting the bag thing a month ago I just called ups there. I checked online and the repair status was still open.

I Was kind of afraid of them Charging me if they discover the battery isn't the problem, now I don't mind. Just have to wait on ups to collect it, the guy on the phone didn't understand me, probably has the wrong phone number but the address is grand....couldn't understand when he said it would be collected...Long 6 week wait...

Edit: hmm the addresss must have been ok, 2 and a half hours later they collected it. :) that was quick...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

That's flawed logic because if you are only sending it back now, you are joining the back of a very long queue. It's possible they'll have time to restock whatever 1st gen components they are short of and then resume sending back 1st gen refurbs.

Has anybody actually received an iPod back from Apple yet?

My repair status says "Issue identified" and "Product replacement pending", so we'll wait and see. As soon as I get it back I'll let ye know!

That's flawed logic because if you are only sending it back now, you are joining the back of a very long queue. It's possible they'll have time to restock whatever 1st gen components they are short of and then resume sending back 1st gen refurbs.

Just because you didn't think of it doesn't make it 'flawed' logic!

They might have hit the end of the line as far as 1st gen components go in which case they will have to junk the returned models and replace them with later models which are in stock.

Sending mine back today. Fingers crossed it will be a 6th gen model.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭raytaxi

Mine was sent back on 30 Nov and says Product replacement pending since 12 December with no change since then.

• Advertisement

raytaxi wrote: »
    Mine was sent back on 30 Nov and says Product replacement pending since 12 December with no change since then.

I'm going to put an optimistic interpretation on that...

They've run out of 1st gen components so they can't repair your nano, hence it's been stalled since Dec 12th. The Christmas market obviously gets priority (sell a new nano for cash or give it to you for free - no brainer) but as soon as we're into 2012 you'll get a shiny new 6th gen model.

Anyone who disagrees is a bah humbug!

Advertisement