Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any one with 1st Gen iPod Nano? - you might be entitled to a replacement from Apple

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,486 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Original 1st gen Nano unopened, he will get that some day, maybe a tad optimistic at the moment.

In collectible terms it will eventualy be up there alongside an unopened Corgi James Bond Aston Martin DB5.

Looks like people who sent them back early will get 6th gen nanos, but by now they'll have tonnes of old 1st gen in stock and ready to refurbish so I wouldn't count on latecomers getting 6th gens.

That doesn't make sense, some people have been waiting two months now so why would Apple send out brand new nanos to the first wave and then let everyone else wait for their models to be refurbished?

According to US discussion forums, Apple sent back refurbished 1st gen models to the fools people who returned therir nanos early but they're now sending out 6th gen models. Clearly they have exhausted the supply of batteries or whatever parts were being used to refurbish the old models.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Siog-Alainn

I sent mine with UPS on 6th December and the status says product replacement pending since 21st December. Getting impatient now, it was my only iPod :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Mr Velo wrote: »
    And you're confident that they have tonnes of old 1st gens back in stock why exactly?? I fully expect to receive a 6th Gen TBH.
    They have tonnes of 1st gen in stock because people have been sending them back for the last 6 weeks.
    coylemj wrote: »
    That doesn't make sense, some people have been waiting two months now so why would Apple send out brand new nanos to the first wave and then let everyone else wait for their models to be refurbished?

According to US discussion forums, Apple sent back refurbished 1st gen models to the fools people who returned therir nanos early but they're now sending out 6th gen models. Clearly they have exhausted the supply of batteries or whatever parts were being used to refurbish the old models.

-First they gave refurb 1st gens that they had in stock already (prior to announcement of recall). They always have a small stock of refurbs of every model.

-They ran out of existing 1st gen refurbs, or could not refurbish the incoming ones quick enough, so to avoid prolonged delays they sent back 6th gens as an interim measure.

-By now they have a stock of old 1st gens building from people who sent them in. And they have had time to start refurbishing them. Its very likely they will resume using them as replacements at some stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

They have tonnes of 1st gen in stock because people have been sending them back for the last 6 weeks.

-First they gave refurb 1st gens that they had in stock already (prior to announcement of recall). They always have a small stock of refurbs of every model.

-They ran out of existing 1st gen refurbs, or could not refurbish the incoming ones quick enough, so to avoid prolonged delays they sent back 6th gens as an interim measure.

-By now they have a stock of old 1st gens building from people who sent them in. And they have had time to start refurbishing them. Its very likely they will resume using them as replacements at some stage.

Nah... think that's guff mate.
    As i said, i'm fully expecting a 6th Gen :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭stacexD

Can someone tell me the procedure sending it back?
    After you put in the serial number is there any more questions asked or is that it?
    For instance if it wasn't your ipod would you be able to send it back?

Glass half empty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

They've had mine since the 17th December, getting a little impatient now.Don't care what they send back at this stage, just want something for those long bus rides!

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,578 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Saruwatari wrote: »
    They've had mine since the 17th December, getting a little impatient now.Don't care what they send back at this stage, just want something for those long bus rides!

Get in the queue! Mines 15th November :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65 ✭✭qork

I sent two of them back, on the 12th and 15th of November, have been checking daily on the status, and today, the 12th of November one has this status:
    6 January 2012: Replacement Product Shipped
    Shipped via UPS

Q.

Just got an email from Apple, serial number confirms a 6th Generation iPod Nano on the way!!
    Q.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

Email from apple confirming a new Nano 6th gen is in the post. This is really sweet because my old Nano had a smashed screen.

This is brilliant

Mine was delivered by UPS, same as above, silver 8GB 6th gen. Turnaround of about 7 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭drive3331

Registered for recall on the 14th of November
    Just got an email today confirming 6th generation replacement has been shipped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

yep mine is on the way to, i'm amazed they are replacing it tbh with the state of the 1 i sent back to them,

Anyway looks like they are moving fairly quickly with replacements for ireland now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭whippet

just got my mail too .. confirmed 6th Gen silver nano on route via Tamworth in the UK !!!

nice one !

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭raytaxi

Got email as well due to be here tuesday.If details are right i can even get extended warranty (brother in new york has had 2 replace already)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

When did you guys send yours off to Apple?

It was collected 26 November, they got on 30 November and site updated as received on 12 December. January 6 its on its way back.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

You're forgetting the reason why they issued a recall in the first place. The batteries. So while they might have lots of units, they might not have new batteries to put in them. I imagine it would be cheaper for them to send a refurb 6th Gen then to order a limited manufacturing run for new batteries.

Plus, from reading some of the threads about the recall, the state of some 1st gens going back would prob mean they are beyond economic repair even if they had batteries to put in them.

Anyway, 6th Gen nano on the way to me. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭puffmullett

How long did it take for Apple to send you the box/envelope for return? I've been waiting a week

• Advertisement

irlrobins wrote: »
    You're forgetting the reason why they issued a recall in the first place. The batteries. So while they might have lots of units, they might not have new batteries to put in them. I imagine it would be cheaper for them to send a refurb 6th Gen then to order a limited manufacturing run for new batteries.

Im not forgetting that at all, I had my unit sent back before this thread even started so im fully aware of the battery issue.

Like I said already, I suspect they ran out of components to refurbish the 1st gens as quickly as they were getting them in. The major componenets needed to refurbish it are the battery or the outer casing.

And that's why they started sending back 6th gen models instead, as an interim measure, to keep things moving.

But whatever component they were short on, they will have had ample time to get more in stock. There is no time limit on this recall (that im aware of), people are going to be sending them in for months to come.

It won't cost them much if anything to order a run of batteries, because the supplier of the original defective battery will foot the bill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68 ✭✭Rein-in

How long did it take for Apple to send you the box/envelope for return? I've been waiting a week

Around 10 days. They're getting a lot returned now, so it could be a bit slower. Then about a 6-week turnaround.

For those who know that they're getting 6th Gen Nanos, how can you tell? Is there a way to check the serial no. online? My replacement has shipped and I'd just like to know what I'm getting!!:) They've given me the replacement serial no.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

It won't cost them much if anything to order a run of batteries, because the supplier of the original defective battery will foot the bill.

If the production line isn't setup to produce that type of battery anymore the setup costs would be quite high, especially given a short run. The supplier might have agreed to foot the bill for the 6th gens in lieu of this.

Anyway, whether people get a 1st or 6th gen is mute. At least we won't have worry about our pockets catching fire... ;)
    Is there a way to check the serial no. online?
    Enter it here: http://support.apple.com/specs/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

I know it's great that they are replacing these for free, but I don't really want the 6th Gen Nano....too small and have a feeling it'll get lost easier!

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭tigershould

found an old 1gb nano that i was meaning to sell on adverts !

sent off for my apple box.

cant wait for my new 8gb Nano watch :p

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Fiesta

Posted 1st Gen Nano via UPS on the 30th of November....just received a new 6th Gen Silver Nano!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

Just got an email, 6th gen 8gb sent off today, woohoo!

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,578 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Got my email earlier. Was posted this morning and is already in Dublin. UPS are awesome :D

Mine arrived this evening 8gb Silver nano, just setting up now.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Sent mine back last Thursday with UPS.
    Status has changed on Apple Repair Status today - "product replacement pending".
    Status 2 was "issue identified"... so looks like i'm getting a new one anyways. Whether it's a 6th gen or not - remains to be seen.

Advertisement