Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying speakers for MP3 player - advice needed!

Options
  • 14-11-2011 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

I'd like to buy speakers for my MP3 player. I'd like good quality output - not tinny, cheap, shallow sounding output. I know that MP3's are relatively (compared to records, tapes) limited in the quality they can achieve, so there's no point spending 1000's on speakers.

So, can anybody recommend speakers that can bring out the full potential of MP3s?

Opinions please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

What bit-rate do you have them ripped at? While it's true that low quality mp3s (128 kbps & below) do sound crap when played through a decent speaker system, go for a high bitrate & you should be grand. Do you want a one box solution or would you be prepared to get an amp & speakers. If the latter & if mp3s, rather than vinyl or cd will be your sole source then maybe look at a simple set up like a "t-amp", like this
    and some cheap Mission Bookshelf Speakers, generally available for about €100-150 or so, I think Richer Sounds should have them or look on Superfi.co.uk, you'll often find good deals for them or similar on Adverts.ie, so you could get them even cheaper.

If you want the one box solution then there's some good docks out there if you can afford it - the Bowers & Wilkins Zeppelins are probably the best if a bit pricy - last I checked they were going for around €399 anywhere in Dublin that had them, though you'd probably find them for cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭conorcan2

Thanks custardpi, that sounds like an educated opinion. My main concern was cashing out for speakers that would produce no discernible improvement in sound richness. I'm not just looking for loud music.

I'll research those resources you sent me, cheers.

Advertisement