Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to work enterprise allowance success?

Options
  • 14-11-2011 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭

Has anyone completed the Back to work enterprise allowance programme and had a good success story?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

I got a grant from the BTWEA from January to September this year for my start up business, it was a great help, and I'm doing pretty well now. *touches wood* I only started last year so it's still very early days but I'm doing better than I ever thought I would, especially this soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

I tried this about a year and a half ago when I was starting my business, the only outcome was that I absolutely wasted 6 months of my life filling out reams and reams of paperwork for a pathethic "file" on me in the Dept. of Social Protection, to keep the public sector beancounters in there in their overpaid jobs.

OP, take my advice and have nothing to do with this scheme, or indeed any government department when starting up a business. The most valuable personal assets and attributes that you possess as an entrepreneur, attributes like your passion to start a business, your energy, your patience, your vision for your idea, the drive that you have to turn your vision into a reality, every one of these things will be completely run down by time wasters in the Dept of Social Protection and in any government department. The people you will be dealing with in there, they couldn't give a fiddlers f*ck about you or your idea, all they care about is turning up and doing as little as they can to stay employed, making sure their arse is well and truly covered by their big file that they will have you filling for them with letters, declarations, all sorts of rubbish, you will actually think you are getting somewhere, only to be told at the end of the day that due to some obscure rule, you don't meet the eligibility criteria, when the fact all along has been that they don't have the money to support new business enterprise, because this government has adopted a policy of bailing out investors (bondholders), of private enterprises that failed years ago (Anglo and the rest of them).

I posted some experiences up here on this forum at the time of dealing with the public sector and their supposed support for enterprise and people who wanted to start up businesses and create new jobs. The best decision I made was to have nothing else to do with them, they are creatons who shouldn't be let next nor near anything to do with job creation.

Talk about two different replies!!

Acoshla wrote: »
    Talk about two different replies!!

Seriously, I didn't just post that after a bad day today, I posted extensively at the time about the sheer frustration I was strugging to cope with at the time I was going through this stuff.

What ended up happening, is that without me even noticing it, I was spending more and more time after being drawn into what I could only call a hopeless web of absolutely needless beaurocracy within the Dept. of Social Protection, where my day was spent generating more and more paperwork for their file, at the time I started calling this mindset I had run into, "for the file", because no matter what I gave them, they wanted more, "for the file".

Then a few months later I was told that due to cutbacks, their fund had run dry. This is where the smart money was, leaving a guy on 188 Euro a week indefinitely, than helping him get off the dole.

And while all this was going on, I found that my head was being utterly wrecked with the sheer amount of lies and spinning that was going on through the political train wreck that this country at the moment, with politicians coming out and saying support was there when it very clearly wasns't, as I said, the smart money was leaving on you on 188 Euro a week for as many years as you want.

Then I got the seed capital I needed and I never looked back, problem sorted, all I wanted to do was get off the dole and after dealing with Dept. of Social Protection, 3 government ministers, a government chief whip, FAS, Dept. of Enterprise Trade & Employment, County Enterprise Board, etc, etc, etc.

The truth was, and still is, that they the smart money in this country is on leaving you on the dole on an entirely open ended basis, as I said at the time, you'd get more thanks for turning up once a month to sign on, not making a nuisence of yourself, keeping your mouth shut and staying on the dole.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭dbran

Hi

I was on a short term enterprise allowance which is similar to the back to work allowance a couple of years ago. I did not have a problem with filling in forms at all. Business is growing and it was a useful crutch to help me when I was in the networking stage and looking for new clients.

I meet a lady in the local employment partnership. I had to fill in a simple business plan and a TR1 to register for taxes. Not things that you shouldn't be doing anyway if you are hoping that your business will be a successful one.

I also got a €1000 off some software that I needed to get.

Helfireclub, maybe things have changed a lot since then but you sound like you are on a bit of a rant to be honest.

Kind Regards

dbran

• Advertisement

I had one meeting to discuss me possibly getting it, filled out my business plan with some help from the guy I met, then I had a few months of a wait due to mistakes in Social Welfare, but then I got a weekly payment for 12 months. I had two phonecalls to see how I was getting on and that was it, very unobtrusive, no forms to fill at all other than the Revenue application stuff. Maybe it depends on the business and and amount of funding you're receiving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

I was on it for a year and ahalf, til I realised my business was bust and I had no money coming in. First year was grand you have the full dole to help you along, but year two when my business dried up I was getting 140 a week, credit union debt and credit card debt to pay the rent. I was informed by the dole office I wasn't entitled to come off the scheme. This dragged me a further 6 months in debt until I contacted a radio station with my grievance, From there on to citizens advice who told me get up there to the dole office, sign off the scheme straight away and sign on as the dole office is spoofing me.

I did, then had to go to my cwo to get money which I've been receiving since the start of August. The dole office approached me in middle of October about getting on to the dole. Asked me for everything so they could do a full audit on my books. Credit card statements for the past year, credit union loan applications, bank account statements for the past year, what car do I drive, what year, make, model (a 99 citroen), receipts for the child maintenance I pay weekly all handed in, still waiting a month for the social welfare inspector to give the go ahead to get the dole. The social welfare inspector is a new one sent from the department to investigate claims, part of the new wave of distrust from the department towards people who tried to make a go on their own. My meeting with her I was treated like a criminal, frowned at for 50 minutes, ruthlessly asked personal questions.

So to sum it all up if your business doesn't work out be prepared for a nightmare to creep up on you..

dbran wrote: »
    Hi

I was on a short term enterprise allowance which is similar to the back to work allowance a couple of years ago. I did not have a problem with filling in forms at all. Business is growing and it was a useful crutch to help me when I was in the networking stage and looking for new clients.

I meet a lady in the local employment partnership. I had to fill in a simple business plan and a TR1 to register for taxes. Not things that you shouldn't be doing anyway if you are hoping that your business will be a successful one.

I also got a €1000 off some software that I needed to get.

Helfireclub, maybe things have changed a lot since then but you sound like you are on a bit of a rant to be honest.

Kind Regards

dbran

Naturally, I couldn't disagree more. I tried to apply for that 1.5K in support and was told that they hadn't a cent left in their fund to support anyone trying to get off the dole, so the clear conseqence of that decision was that I was costing the state (188 Euro * 52 weeks) = 9,776 Euro a year.

If you call this support for job creation, I have to clearly disagree with your analysis. Then someone in the family agreed to lend me the 1.5K I needed to get started off and I've not looked back since, shipping out a minimum of 1K a day in sales now, 3K plus on a busy day. Go figure that one out...

padma wrote: »
    I was on it for a year and ahalf, til I realised my business was bust and I had no money coming in. First year was grand you have the full dole to help you along, but year two when my business dried up I was getting 140 a week, credit union debt and credit card debt to pay the rent. I was informed by the dole office I wasn't entitled to come off the scheme. This dragged me a further 6 months in debt until I contacted a radio station with my grievance, From there on to citizens advice who told me get up there to the dole office, sign off the scheme straight away and sign on as the dole office is spoofing me.

I did, then had to go to my cwo to get money which I've been receiving since the start of August. The dole office approached me in middle of October about getting on to the dole. Asked me for everything so they could do a full audit on my books. Credit card statements for the past year, credit union loan applications, bank account statements for the past year, what car do I drive, what year, make, model (a 99 citroen), receipts for the child maintenance I pay weekly all handed in, still waiting a month for the social welfare inspector to give the go ahead to get the dole. The social welfare inspector is a new one sent from the department to investigate claims, part of the new wave of distrust from the department towards people who tried to make a go on their own. My meeting with her I was treated like a criminal, frowned at for 50 minutes, ruthlessly asked personal questions.

So to sum it all up if your business doesn't work out be prepared for a nightmare to creep up on you..

This sounds true to form, as I said, you'd get more thanks for not bothering your arse with any of it and staying on the dole.

They have a scheme for you starting up your own business, they say there are supports there, that are not there at all, then when they send you on your way with no supports and you fail, they laugh at you coming back in the door again, when the truth is that you have been completely set up for failure in the first place.

Make no mistake about it, the attitude from the governing elite in this country (politicians and the civil servant beancounters who actually run the place), towards people who try to start up a business in this country is as utterly dysfunctional a mindset as you are likely to see from any human being.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 lumjm

Well iv been on it for about a year now, its hard going setting up, i've put alot more money in than im gettin out of it but I suppose thats to be expected when starting up. But the above poster is right everything in this country seems to favour you sitting on the dole because its less hassle for them. The rest of the posts frankly have me scared, I dont know how it will go next year, I think when the allowance runs out and if Im not making enough myself, Im not entitled to anything from SW because Im self employed. Am currently looking for part time work so I can get off the scheme. No way would I try to get off scheme and get on dole thats asking for trouble!

• Advertisement

lumjm wrote: »
    Well iv been on it for about a year now, its hard going setting up, i've put alot more money in than im gettin out of it but I suppose thats to be expected when starting up. But the above poster is right everything in this country seems to favour you sitting on the dole because its less hassle for them. The rest of the posts frankly have me scared, I dont know how it will go next year, I think when the allowance runs out and if Im not making enough myself, Im not entitled to anything from SW because Im self employed. Am currently looking for part time work so I can get off the scheme. No way would I try to get off scheme and get on dole thats asking for trouble!

And the truly sickening thing is that the political class of this country will convince you that there is actually support there for small business start-up's.

They have deluded themselves, and will try to tell you with a straight face, that the banks are lending to start up's and that there are other "schemes" in place to support those who have the courage and the conviction to start up a job for themselves at the moment.

Then people are all shocked and surprised when the numbers on the dole are going up month after month after month and the economic growth figures are revised downwards again and again and again?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Bedroom_Coder

I had an meeting today with the Local Partnership that runs this scheme in my area. Tbh, it went very well . I've received education grants and other help in the past from the same crowd. Always found them to useful, even if it's just advice. I haven't put in my application yet (finalizing my B.plan etc so it's the best it can be, next few weeks I will though so hopefully all goes well. I'll let you know how easy/awful the process is for me.

HellfireClub: Can I ask, did you go through a partnership or were you dealing directly with Social Welfare /DoP?

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

I kinda need advise.Im on it. No grant available - wellthey would pay 200 towards a new printer if I needed it. I havent actually even been changed over onto it .... Today I got offered a full time job. Not huge money by any great shakes but more than I think my OPF & my business is profiting a week. So my q is can I continue on & take the job or will it effect everything totally & would be more hassle than it worth paperwork wise. I dont mean more hassle going to work - WOuld love it TBH. But not if they are going to suddenly come back in a years time & say I owe them a mint in back money ... Im totally confused TBH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 lumjm

@lucy 2010, you cant take a fulltime job while on the scheme of course, you have to call them and come off the allowance. Unless this job is paying you for the services your business provides, as in invoicing you for whatever the work is.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Dhoff

I have been unemployed now for over one year and im thinking of setting up a business. I worked as a Civil Engineer but now cant even get a work placement or internship.

My friend in asia buys goods directly from manufacturers and sells them to businesses throughout asia. He does pretty well from this.

I would like to buy goods from him and hopefully sell them on ebay and such online sites here and in the UK. Maybe open a shop on ebay and start my own website.

Would it be possible to keep my social welfare payments through the starting a business scheme. Has anyone been allowed to keep their benefits for an online service. I know they factor in what the potential is for employing people in the future but for this business it would really be a one man band for a few years.. Would they think that this is too much of a risk to fail so it would be declined..

Could someone give me any advice on how I might put my business plan to them or what questions they would ask me...

Thanks, all comments welcomed

• Registered Users Posts: 16 kdb14

I found the enterprise allowance scheme fantastic, it was a great support when I set up and I haven't looked back since. i had heard a lot of horror stories about people getting tremendous amounts of hassle and reams of paperwork but I went in with a positive attitude and I found it very straightforward and simple.

I had some paperwork to fill out, obviously you have to answer questions about what you wanted to do and how you thought it would work, had the business plan to fill out, didn't like the guy in the larkin centre who was to help fill out the business plan (was over an hour late and smelt of booze!) but it was all pretty straight forward. I told the woman who had referred me to the larkin centre for advise about the experience there and she apologised and said she'd look into it.

I never felt that anyone was out to trick me or give me a hard time. I got the call to say I had been approved and was wished the best of luck and advised that if the business wasn't working out towards the end of the scheme (before the scheme finished) to get in contact with them to come off it and back into the jobseekers. They said that it's smoother to do it that way than have the scheme run the complete course, have them sign you off it and then have you coming back asking for help.

Absolutely go for it would be my advice! I think the experience that you have with them is a mirror of your attitude towards them!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 livefreeinuk

well said

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 389 ✭✭micromary

I know the guy in question who u advised reaked of booze in the Larkin Centre! To be honest even though I was told fill out the form I would not meet the criteria as I have way enough savings. Therefore I sent the forms back to them. It was no use wasting my own time.

Totally agree Hellfireclub re central government however in helping small businesses get set-up and create jobs. They are a disgrace and have not a clue. Richard Bruton shud go on a jobbridge scheme for his own job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 nutritionplus

I have just started this, Well in the first 3 weeks was fairly straight forward and easy enough setting it up. Tho the last two weeks i got payment of 61.70 into my account went into welfare office couldn't figure it out neither could my contact who put me on the scheme but this week got my full 185 tho still means i lost over 240 over the two weeks that i'm never getting back. Also putting in my grants for equipment needed to set up my business was told would be quick and easy, Put in my first claim 3 weeks ago and still waiting to get payment and another had to go though last week. In total waiting on approx 1600 and as i have put everything into this and got screwed for two weeks i'm stuck waiting on this claim to come through before i can open my shop. I am onto them every day and nobody can find anything out. My advice yes this can be good scheme but budget into your plans that you will be waiting on them and don't believe what they tell you about being able to rush through your applications or you will get caught out. Will update again when get more progress

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭HairMare

Hi there congrats on getting payment approved, keep hounding your enterprise office that dishes out the grants - as they may try to say retail ventures not covered, and that its un fair on other retailers etc. they have a word for it, displacement i think. apply for as much as poss. similar happened me when i switched from jobseekers - lost a weeks money they didnt know why either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

HairMare wrote: »
    similar happened me when i switched from jobseekers - lost a weeks money they didnt know why either.

Did you ever get it back?

Did you ever get it back?

No, best that I could make out was when payment switched over, payment day for me changed, and pattern of days paid, ie btwea seem to pay a week'm in arrears,which dole doesnt. Sw office couldnt figure it out any ways so I lost out. Was so glad to get btwea that I didnt care,but was beans on toast that week

• Registered Users Posts: 2 nutritionplus

No was no chance here of getting any lost payments back either so that 240 something euro is gone forever.
    And still chasing up departments to get my grants paid out and my Local "Higher Executive Officer" i was dealing with all along has stopped replying to my e-mails and calls. I even just tried ringing the accounts department in Dundalk as was told that is where all the grant payments come through and after being switched for one person to the next about 8 times the last guy who i think i actually woke up and he just started laughing saying "I dno" So these are the people i am relying on, Great. There is around 1700 in grants i'm waiting on and have more to apply for to reach my 2500 limit. I may not sound like a lot but as i was unemployed for year before this an put every penny i had that being 10000 approx which is not much to start a shop with as nearly 6k of that was on stock and did all shop fitting and everything myself but now i am skint and just had to order stock with my last 200 euro so i have about 15 for the week. It is not right that they can put this much pressure on somebody who is just trying to make something for themselves.
    They told me no problem grant should be paid out following week so i stupidly believed them. First lesson learned in business "Trust Nobody" and rely on "Nobody"

No was no chance here of getting any lost payments back either so that 240 something euro is gone forever.
    And still chasing up departments to get my grants paid out and my Local "Higher Executive Officer" i was dealing with all along has stopped replying to my e-mails and calls. I even just tried ringing the accounts department in Dundalk as was told that is where all the grant payments come through and after being switched for one person to the next about 8 times the last guy who i think i actually woke up and he just started laughing saying "I dno" So these are the people i am relying on, Great. There is around 1700 in grants i'm waiting on and have more to apply for to reach my 2500 limit. I may not sound like a lot but as i was unemployed for year before this an put every penny i had that being 10000 approx which is not much to start a shop with as nearly 6k of that was on stock and did all shop fitting and everything myself but now i am skint and just had to order stock with my last 200 euro so i have about 15 for the week. It is not right that they can put this much pressure on somebody who is just trying to make something for themselves.
    They told me no problem grant should be paid out following week so i stupidly believed them. First lesson learned in business "Trust Nobody" and rely on "Nobody"
    Summer hols would have slowed it all down too.hopefully you get sorted soon and best of luck with shop

Advertisement