Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any source for the javax.comm package?

Options
  • 14-11-2011 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm wanting to start on a private project that requires reading from and writing to the serial port. I want to use this project as a vehicle for learning Java.

Having read a few tutorials etc. I set about looking to download the actual javax.comm API package from Sun. Unfortunately I have had absolutely no luck finding it! The Oracle site that details the package has no link to the feckin download (unless I'm blind) and I found a couple of forum posts from people having similar trouble finding this jar.

Does anyone have a source? Can it really be as hard as I'm finding to locate it?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

it's probably part of the JDK!? 3rd from the end on this link
    http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html

Or you can browse the code here
    http://www.java2s.com/Code/JavaAPI/javax.comm/Catalogjavax.comm.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I can't find it in the jdk. I have jdk1.6.0_24 installed and attempting to import javax.comm.* or any individual classes therein fail(s) to resolve. From my reading of it, it is not included in the jdk but is an extension to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭lynchie

If ur are working on windows then afaik the javax.comm extension doesnt have a working implementation of the interfaces for windows. It only provides solaris / linux implementations. If you just want to work with Comm IO I suggest you use the rxtx library for java. Its API is somewhat compatible with the javax.comm interfaces.

Cheers lynchie, I will be using Linux for this stuff. If absolutely no source for javax.comm can be found, I'll have to use RXTX (though from what I've read it might be a better option anyway as Sun (now Oracle) have seemingly pretty much ignored the javax.comm package for years.

Do you have any experience with it?

Can you not see the source on the second link I provided?

• Advertisement

croo wrote: »
    Can you not see the source on the second link I provided?
    Maybe I'm being stupid but all I see are various examples of using the javax.comm package but not the actual classes??

murphaph wrote: »
    Maybe I'm being stupid but all I see are various examples of using the javax.comm package but not the actual classes??
    No, it's not you it's me. I didn't look close enough... I had thought it was source for the classes not examples. Sorry.

croo wrote: »
    No, it's not you it's me. I didn't look close enough... I had thought it was source for the classes not examples. Sorry.
    No probs, thanks for trying to help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭lynchie

murphaph wrote: »
    Cheers lynchie, I will be using Linux for this stuff. If absolutely no source for javax.comm can be found, I'll have to use RXTX (though from what I've read it might be a better option anyway as Sun (now Oracle) have seemingly pretty much ignored the javax.comm package for years.

Do you have any experience with it?

Yeah I used it on windows a few years back for a number of projects. Never had an issue with it and worked flawlessly for us.

Advertisement