Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Photowalk Cork anyone???

• 14-11-2011 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭

Hi all! Anyone interested in doing a photowalk in Cork? All suggestions of where to go welcome!!!!

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭colblimp

Me, me, me! :D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭foxy123

colblimp wrote: »
    Me, me, me! :D;)

kinda took it for granted you'd be going!!! :D:p

foxy123 wrote: »
    kinda took it for granted you'd be going!!! :D:p

Oh, did we now? Well I might not go now! :p

Oh, did we now? Well I might not go now! :p

:eek: :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

Im always up for one, but never seem to make them... maybe this time!

• Advertisement

that would be cool. if we could get a number of people interested and then organise day/time to suit everyone :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

Yeah, I'd be up for this.

It's been a while since I was on one, so I'd be looking forward to it.

Excellent, Buceph! Hopefully now things will start to roll and we'll get a good number like the first one.

Anyone any suggestions as to a location?

Town has been done, as has Kinsale. You've done Cobh so I wouldn't recommend that, although I'd imagine you'd know it best with your project. Crosshaven is pretty miserable in the winter and wouldn't make for the scenic photos if we're to get the harbour views.

Landscape type stuff I'd imagine would be out with the weather we're going to have. There's no real city apart from town for street stuff. I suppose if we look to see if there's any big event or fair on.

How about Youghal, or somewhere in that kind of area? There's also Ballycotton, the East Cork kind of area - that's pretty photogenic...

Or we could head in the West Cork kind of direction? we'll car pool, of course.

• Advertisement

I haven't done much in East Cork. And I've only been to West Cork (Schull, Baltimore, etc.) when staying on a boat, so I haven't done any inland travelling around there apart from getting to and from the place. I'd just be worried that if the weather is like it is today the photowalk would be a disaster. But if you think it'd work, go for it (once I can scab a lift.) I just wouldn't know of anything worth visiting by car.

You can scab a lift, no problem. Obviously on a day like today it would be a pretty pointless exercise, but there's bound to be some decent days in terms of weather coming soon that we could take advantage of.

OK, so maybe we should look at East Cork, I'll have a look on the old map and see where that takes us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I'm in! While town has been done, there are dozens of varieties that we could do. Given that it's winter, we could always start in the late afternoon while we have brightness, maybe hit a pub that has a platter/finger food, then continue out and take night shots.

Though given that each of the last several walks has comprised of myself, Lisa, and Andy perhaps I'm being a tad ambitious :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

I'd be interested if I was free on the date agreed..

Haven't done one with a group yet and really need to start knocking some use out of my camera :(

Subject of course to Colblimp not laughing at my efforts !! :D

I'd never laugh at your efforts, Doug - your pics are class!

I've never done landscapes of any description though despite constantly promising myself that I'd go out and give it a go. (Time is a killer for me :-( )

Hence I have every faith in my ability to give you a good laugh with my efforts!!

I'd definitely be interested in this if there is something arranged. I need a spur to get me going so if I had the time I'd love to go along.

Come along. Not only will it will be great photographically, it'll be a laff, too. It won't only be landscapes, but candids, documentary and loads of other stuff as well.

If I'm off on the date I'll definitely be there. Really need to get my arse in gear for stuff like that.

BTW, My favourite Dublin Marathon pic... I like it and had loads of people on to me about it -

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39020932@N05/6302389975/in/set-72157627904008211/

That's a great pic! It's so difficult to find a fresh way to take pics of runners, I produced a few good ones at Cork City Sports this year but it's not something I regularly do.

If you give me dates when you're available for the Photowalk, we could try and work with that. The only thing I'm sure of is that it'll be on a Sunday.

Thanks...
    No point in me giving a date or trying to work around me...You'd never get out!!
    I literally could only guarantee attendance on the day or 24 hrs in advance at the most. The joys of trying to do too much. :(
    I work every second weekend anyway so that instantly halves my availability.

Go ahead and try to sort something with the rest of the lads on here - if I can make it I most certainly will and would be delighted to do so.
    Once ye start throwing up dates I can start saying yay or nay.

Buceph, if I'm around there's no problem with transport if you're stuck.

• Advertisement

Any progress/interest in this guys?

OK guys, who's up for Sunday 15th January?

Once we get yes/no's we can sort out times and where.

That works for me anyway!

11811 wrote: »
    That works for me anyway!

Excellent - that's two of us, anyway! :D

Excellent - that's two of us, anyway! :D

Make that three of us! :D

Great, thats the ball rolling anyways!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Maybe - I'll only be back in the country the day before, after a pain in the ass travel itinerary home.

95% sure that I should make it.. have transport as well if anyone is stuck.

Maybe - I'll only be back in the country the day before, after a pain in the ass travel itinerary home.

Just do what you can, although it would be great if you could make it.
    95% sure that I should make it.. have transport as well if anyone is stuck.

That's excellent news.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 gpdv

Just spotted this. I might be interested too, depending on place and time, I live in a county, Sunday public transport is difficult :)

Any more plans on this Colblimp??

Next Sundays forecast here ; - http://www.accuweather.com/ukie/forecast-details.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=0&postalcode=cork&metric=1&fday=9

Looks like it'll be low cloud for the day but no rain forecast... That site is usually fairly accurate but you know our weather - it changes like the weather!!

gpdv wrote: »
    Just spotted this. I might be interested too, depending on place and time, I live in a county, Sunday public transport is difficult :)

Hiya, would be delighted if you could join us. the more the merrier. where abouts are you located? :)

Any more plans on this Colblimp??

Next Sundays forecast here ; - http://www.accuweather.com/ukie/forecast-details.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=0&postalcode=cork&metric=1&fday=9

Looks like it'll be low cloud for the day but no rain forecast... That site is usually fairly accurate but you know our weather - it changes like the weather!!

Thanks for the weather link! myself and Colblimp are still ok for Sunday, hopefully the weather will be good!!!! have you or anyone any suggestions of where to go? we were thinking kinsale, ballycotton, Crosshaven maybe? trying to think of other places!!! for those without transport we can meet in a central place. i also have transport so i can help with pickup and drop off.

Im easy about location, however I wont have any transport on the day. My own wheels will be out of action for the weekend. But I am based in the city center as such...

11811 wrote: »
    Im easy about location, however I wont have any transport on the day. My own wheels will be out of action for the weekend. But I am based in the city center as such...

Excellent, what about time? If we met by parnells place where flor griffins used to be?

• Advertisement

yeah that would be perfect, im fairly easy regarding time to be honest...

Should be ok for that as well hopefully.

I'm in Midleton area, first service on Sunday is around 9, so I thought in case you're meeting after 9.30 I might come too. If not then maybe next time :)

OK guys, I reckon if we can meet up around 1:00 on Sunday afternoon, that will give GPDV a chance to join us and we can catch the decent afternoon light, depending where we go.

So in terms of where we go, does anyone have any ideas/preferences? Foxy123 has mentioned Kinsale, Ballycotton and Crosshaven, but we obviously couldn't go to all three. So, anyone...?

Thanks! I can come earlier, at 9.30 or 11.30, it's getting dark at 5, if we meet at 1 would 4 hours be enough for everything? Travelling etc?

Is Fort Camden in Corsshaven closed? On their website it says it's closed:
    http://www.rescuecamden.ie/

• Advertisement

gpdv wrote: »
    Thanks! I can come earlier, at 9.30 or 11.30, it's getting dark at 5, if we meet at 1 would 4 hours be enough for everything? Travelling etc?

Is Fort Camden in Corsshaven closed? On their website it says it's closed:
    http://www.rescuecamden.ie/

Four hours is more than long enough. However, there's nothing stopping you arriving early if you so wish.

As for Fort Camden, it IS closed - it opens at weekends in the summer. Don't worry, you're not missing much, trust me!

Crosshaven sounds good to me.. Camden is closed at the moment afaik but we could save that for a day on its own at some stage.
    Just some ideas - Church Bay, Fennells Bay, Templebreedy (Church and Graveyard ruin), Weavers Point (Some ruins of old swimmng club there..) Cliff Walk and of course the Village itself - Boats, Pubs, Pier, Boatyard etc.
    Probably have to drive between a few points but I won't tell anyone if ye don't ;)
    At the moment I'm still 95% sure I'll be there - anytime would probably suit me.

P.S. A friend of mine that lives in Crosshaven has some local pics in his Flickr account here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ritchiek/page1/

Four hours is more than long enough. However, there's nothing stopping you arriving early if you so wish.

As for Fort Camden, it IS closed - it opens at weekends in the summer. Don't worry, you're not missing much, trust me!

:eek:
    Camden is a great spot. Spent many great summers down there playing soldiers in the tunnels. We always won the war and returned home 'tired but happy' !!!
    It's a huge site and only part of it has been renovated yet.
    Type in "Fort Camden" and just Camden on flickr to see some photos of the place.

We could do Crosshaven and the places you suggest - me and Foxy123 are there regularly as she lives nearby, and it's a great place. We could see if there's any ships arriving/departing so we could get pics of Roches Point. OK, Crosshaven and surrounds it is, then, subject to any other suggestions. :D

:eek:
    Camden is a great spot. Spent many great summers down there playing soldiers in the tunnels. We always won the war and returned home 'tired but happy' !!!
    It's a huge site and only part of it has been renovated yet.
    Type in "Fort Camden" and just Camden on flickr to see some photos of the place.

As well as being a photographer, I'm also a WWII Re-Enactor and spent a day there a few months ago - it's still being developed so it really is a work in progress.

We could do Crosshaven and the places you suggest - me and Foxy123 are there regularly as she lives nearby, and it's a great place. We could see if there's any ships arriving/departing so we could get pics of Roches Point. OK, Crosshaven and surrounds it is, then, subject to any other suggestions. :D

Caught this one passing by one day!! (2008, QE2s' last trip to Cork)

[IMG][/img]5348729567_60105c48f9_z.jpg QE2 by Twowheelsonly, on Flickr

See ye all at the weekend so.. I'll check back here later in the week to see a confirmed time.. I'll most likely have my van rather than the car so can take 2 people if anybody needs a spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 twomers

Ah cool. This weekend then? Where abouts? Transport might be an issue...

twomers wrote: »
    Ah cool. This weekend then? Where abouts? Transport might be an issue...

Sunday, 13:00 outside the old Flor Griffin shop on Parnell Place. Don't worry about transport, we have it covered. :D

All sounds good to me! see you all at 13.00 on Sunday so.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 twomers

And what's the venue then? There are multiple ones in the thread so I'm unsure :-)

• Advertisement
Advertisement