Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

back to the electric fence post question

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Not having seen the post on the rebar for fence posts I'll just blast on anyway :rolleyes:

Rebar will prob cost about €1 a meter
    Insulators about €0.60 each plus some shipping

White plastic fence posts can be bought at €1.20 each

Any reason you wouldn't get these..?
    I find them great, easy moved and found if they fall over in long grass...
    You can have a second strand of wire too for the same price...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fodda

Screw-in insulators from the co-op cost about 3.40 euro for 25....thats about 0.14 cents each.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭NewBeefFarmer

bbam wrote: »
    Not having seen the post on the rebar for fence posts I'll just blast on anyway :rolleyes:

Rebar will prob cost about €1 a meter
    Insulators about €0.60 each plus some shipping

White plastic fence posts can be bought at €1.20 each

Any reason you wouldn't get these..?
    I find them great, easy moved and found if they fall over in long grass...
    You can have a second strand of wire too for the same price...

you see, ,, your thinking just like myself. . cost wise yes, what im buying now, Pigtails 10 of them for €18. .
    white stakes ur talking about 10 for €15.
    i have about 60 pig tales and 20 white ones. the pigtales are better alright. as the white ones can crack and will brake up with frost sunlight etc. . but neither of these are good enough even if u have the slightest cruve. . i have al mine in straight lines. . no pressure on them at all. . if its a turn, i have a timeber post. .

i was completly put off bying a 5 ft stake for €2.25 , just seems too much money for what i want it for. .

I notice the pigtales rust easy at the bottom. .

fodda wrote: »
    Screw-in insulators from the co-op cost about 3.40 euro for 25....thats about 0.14 cents each.

are they the same thing as above. the blue one? same idea like?

anything but the blue one is suppose to be crap. .
    and while having the best stake in the world can be great. .. having a substandard insulator would annoy me. . they break up easy. ..

blue one does look the job though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

I found what someone here recommended.

http://www.chelfordfarmsupplies.co.uk/farm-shop/electric-fencing/insulators/rutland-round-post-screw-on-insulator-20.html

for use on re-bar.

i know a few of you here have converted all wooden posts to this system.

I have 2 questions.

while i would have strainers in corners etc. . if the boundary had a very very slow curve in it, would the rebar be ok, (i suppose hammer enough in to the ground and it will. . . . i think id have no problem with padocks..

and secondly, how much is a length of rebar, i saw here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056306913
    that he was getting 5-6 posts per 6m length of re-bar.
    how much is a 6meter lenght?. . .

seriously considering this, as everthing needs re-doing on the fence side. im moving temporary posts at the moment till i make my mind up!..

I think it was me who recommended the rebar.

Strainers at the corners will be suitable. 1/2 inch rebar will have no problem taking small corners - even a 90 degree if you want it.

We have been using rebar for posts for 25 years. Most of the original posts are still in use. We have had to replace some of the insulators recently. The last rebar posts that I made up cost Eur1.30 each - Eur1.10 for the steel and 40c for the insulator. Local co-op was selling crappy plastic posts with a metal end on them for Eur1.40 too. We've tried and tested them, they go brittle after about 5 years and some of them break with any stress.

Rebar is a minimum 25 year job. It allows for you to easily remove and relocate the posts, but it is also a very strong post for holding up wire.

Check ebay for to make savings on insulators!!

• Advertisement

reilig, thanks, it was u i think that mentioned it.

can u tell me the cost of the rebar, and do u buy it in certain lenghts and cut it up. . . ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭polod

Is 'rebar' the steel used for reinforcing concrete ? ...How do you fix the insulator to it ?

are they the same thing as above. the blue one? same idea like?

anything but the blue one is suppose to be crap. .
    and while having the best stake in the world can be great. .. having a substandard insulator would annoy me. . they break up easy. ..

blue one does look the job though

Similar or same to these http://www.gallagherireland.com/fence_component.aspx?mktprodid=4783

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

polod wrote: »
    Is 'rebar' the steel used for reinforcing concrete ? ...How do you fix the insulator to it ?

It is yeah.
    The insulator is a specific design to fit over a bar and screw tightens to hold it in place. See Pic.

Sorry about the quality of the pic, on thumbnail it looked fine.......But it gives an idea.

they look a good job bizzum, would they take a good 90 degrees bend no bother ?

• Advertisement

polod wrote: »
    they look a good job bizzum, would they take a good 90 degrees bend no bother ?

No. Probably not. Excellent at 180 degrees though!

Bizzum wrote: »
    No. Probably not. Excellent at 180 degrees though!

:D il not bother making up a few so :D

Reilig how long were the posts to give you ?? how high a fence?

Also because it is steel bar do they work loose easier in the ground than wooden posts or do you over come this by knocking them deeper in the ground?...........I am thinking of a more permanent set up.

Also because it is steel bar do they work loose easier in the ground than wooden posts or do you over come this by knocking them deeper in the ground?...........I am thinking of a more permanent set up.

In our case, we have some permanent fencing like this. Once it's in relatively straight lines with good strainers each end it's perfect.

Put in two good strainers, good tight wire, insulated re-bar, walk away and forget about it! Simple!

Bizzum wrote: »
    In our case, we have some permanent fencing like this. Once it's in relatively straight lines with good strainers each end it's perfect.

Put in two good strainers, good tight wire, insulated re-bar, walk away and forget about it! Simple!

Yeah strainers are the strength of any fence alright but i am just trying to work out cost savings over wooden posts.

How long were your steel bars to give you 4.5ft above ground?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Guys, What happens if an animal jumps up on one of these rebars?
    Would it not be worthwhile welding a small length to the top, say even 4". It would stop it going into the animal.
    It would be easier to pull them outta da ground too.

Also, where can you get the proper steel wire, as in all steel, for a fence, not the cheap white cord stuff?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Posts are around 4ft. Driven 6 inches into the ground and you have a 3ft 6" fence. They don't work loose in the ground at all.

I have them up along reps hedges so that I can take them down easily to run the hedge cutter on an annual basis.

NewBeefFarmer I don't have up to date prices for rebar, sorry.

Advertisement