Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what winter colour plants

Options
  • 14-11-2011 10:39pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭

well, i finally got around to tidying up the garden, cutting back the summer plants etc.

the garden looks completely bare and brown.

so am looking for some ideas to bring some winter colour to the garden.

the garden is kinda of cottage style, i like things just grown randomly and big rather then neat little beds.

unfortunately, everything i have planted are summer annuals so the winter gardne is horrible and bare.

any ideas would be much appreciated.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Pansies do quite well over the winter for a bit of colour?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,448 ✭✭✭✭looksee

In terms of flowers you are limited to pansies, primulas, winter heather and the small cyclamen for the moment. You could look at small shrubs with light green and variagated leaves. There are a few other things that flower in winter but they tend to take a couple of seasons to establish. Berginia is one, nice pink flowers. Also put some spring bulbs in (very soon! I still have a bag of daffodils which will be too late if they don't go in soon).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

red stemmed dogwood - cut them down every spring for a beautiful red display through the winter.
    Viburnums still look good now, and anything/everything you can find with berries on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Rinker

irishbird wrote: »
    well, i finally got around to tidying up the garden, cutting back the summer plants etc.

the garden looks completely bare and brown.

so am looking for some ideas to bring some winter colour to the garden.

the garden is kinda of cottage style, i like things just grown randomly and big rather then neat little beds.
    unfortunately, everything i have planted are summer annuals so the winter gardne is horrible and bare.

any ideas would be much appreciated.:)

I’m a big fan of the cottage garden style too. I’d advise you to plant some grasses. They look great at this time of the year and give great structure throughout the winter. They are really useful in cottage style gardens for planting between other flowering plants- They hold them up and give a very natural look. There are so many to choose from in many colours and heights- a great source for grasses and other cottage garden plants is Mount Venus Nursery in Rathfarnham. (I doubt they have any pansies though-yuck)

The cottage garden style is closer to a natural look than many other styles, providing a haven for wildlife. I’d go for natural looking plants rather than variegated plants or winter bedding. You want plants blending through and growing over one another. Bulbs can work well in these schemes as do hellebores( winter roses)

As previously recommended the dogwoods give great colour. Other plants have interesting shapes like the contorted hazel yew or are winter flowering like witch hazel. You should also consider evergreen shrubs such as miniature pine (pinus Mugo), box or yew. They can be clipped to a variety of shapes.
    Also remember that its not really necessary to cut back the summer plants. Dead plants are a natural part of the lifecycle of the garden and can add to its beauty.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Winter flowering Dianthus.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

If you have the space, Himalayan Birch give wonderful structure and good winter colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 morg

Hi,
    A nice shrub this time of year is Skimmia japonica 'Rubella'.Dark green foliage with large clusters of red flower buds. There is another Skimmia available that has a nice scented flower but I forget the name.I know Gardenworld Nurseries have them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭swifts need our help!

There are many Skimmias available but remember you need a male plant also because not all are self fertile.

Leucotheas look great and change their leaves from green to red as the temperatures fall

Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭pinky 06

Helleborus are beautiful this time of year! Will fit in with your cottage garden style perfectly.

Advertisement