Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

signing on for half weeks work

• 14-11-2011 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭

i recently started in a new job but until mid december im only goin to be working half weeks. someone mentioned to me that i would be able to sign on for any full days that i dont work. could anybody clarify this and potentially point me in the right track as to how to go about it??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

I assume your talking about Job Seekers Benefit.

If your days at work are reduced (temporarily)

If you normally work full-time

If you normally work full-time but short-time working is introduced by your employer you may get Jobseeker’s Benefit. Reduced working hours on a temporary basis is called systematic-short time working. You will get Jobseeker's Benefit for the days you don't work provided you meet the other conditions that apply to Jobseeker's Benefit, for example, you must not work more than 3 days per week.

For systematic-short time workers the social welfare week is based on 5 working days. For example, if your days of work are reduced to 3 days per week, you will get Jobseeker's Benefit for the other 2 days. This means you will get two-fifths of the normal amount of Jobseeker's Benefit. A case study showing you how to calculate the length of time a systematic short time worker can get Jobseeker's Benefit is available.

You will continue to pay PRSI in the normal way. However, Jobseeker’s Benefit is not taxable if you are systematic short-time working.

If you normally work part-time

If you are a part-time worker and your days of work are reduced temporarily the social welfare week is based on 6 working days. For example, if your working pattern is reduced from 3 days (Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday) to 2 days (Monday and Tuesday) per week, you will get Jobseeker's Benefit for the other 4 days once you satisfy all the conditions.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/social_welfare_payments_and_work/jobseekers_benefit_and_work.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭Noo

I have a similar-ish question regarding part time work and JSA.
    I live with my parents and recently got the minimum JSA through means testing (a whole €40). Anyways I might be getting offered some part time work soon (2/3 days a week) so i followed this to see what would happen my JSA:
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/reference/worksheets/worksheet_jobseekers_allowance_and_income_from_work.html

I'll be earning about €200 a week so i didnt get past the second step. Obviously i dont mind losing my €40 as i'd much prefer the €200 a week :D What i am asking is if i go to the social welfare will i be told to sign off? I dont know how long the work will be for but its not something long term and i'm dreading the thought of having to ask my parents for bank statements and pay slips etc again to be means tested for the 3rd time in less than 2 years when i know very well i'll be getting the minimum as I have done every other time i've been on JSA.

Advertisement