Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions about Ballyfermot.

Options
  • 14-11-2011 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭

Starting a night course in Ballyfermot Technical College tomorrow.

What buses go from town to Ballyfermot TC? How often do they run, and where in town are the stops? How long is the journey from town?

My course ends at 8.30pm. Is there anywhere decent within walking distance of the college that I could grab some dinner at after wards? Are there any good pubs nearby that I could watch the 2nd half of Dublin vs Estonia tomorrow night?

Thanks. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Are you talking about Ballyfermot College of Further Education?

Buses are here http://www.bcfe.ie/contact.php

Dublin -v- Estonia? :D Think Chasers would be the closest. As for grub, there's a chipper there which is lovely, just down from Chasers past Xtravision.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭dillo2k10

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Starting a night course in Ballyfermot Technical College tomorrow.

What buses go from town to Ballyfermot TC? How often do they run, and where in town are the stops? How long is the journey from town?

My course ends at 8.30pm. Is there anywhere decent within walking distance of the college that I could grab some dinner at after wards? Are there any good pubs nearby that I could watch the 2nd half of Dublin vs Estonia tomorrow night?

Thanks. :)

It only takes about 10-15 minutes on the bus.
    There are a few pubs within walking distance just walk towards the main street and you will see some.

About food Im just realizing there are no actual cafes in Ballyfermot. The Far East a Chinese/Indian restaurant is nice and the prices are alright. Most of the fast food places have decent food.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Thanks for all the tips and links.

Yep, am indeed talking about Ballyfermot College of Further Education. It's been 20 years since I was in third level education, so I was not aware that the college had been re named.

I live in the IFSC, on the Saggart/Tallaght Luas line. Was not aware the Luas would be an transport option for me. Would love to take the Luas there and back if possible. What station would I get off at, and how far of a walk would it be to the college?

Am looking for "real" food after the class, not fast food or chipper places. If none are available, fair enough. Would just like to know ahead of time what my options are.

Thanks again.

You can get off the Luas at the Kylemore stop and walk up Kylemore Road. However you'll be going past Labre Park which can be quite rough. It's not a route I'd walk at night but maybe it's just me. Even then, I only walk it on the opposite side of the road.

The main buses serving Ballyfermot are the 79/79A from Aston Quay or the 40 which you can get from O'Connell Street or College Green.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Handier getting the bus then the Luas,the walk from the Kylemore Luas stop down to BCFE would be a good 15-20 minutes.

The 40 or 79/a will drop you right outside the college.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

You could get 79/a to heuston and then get the luas. That's what I do most mornings going from ballyfermot to the point. Alternatively get the 18 and get the luas at kylemore although I'd say the 79 would be the quicker option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

The luas stop on Kylemore Rd is a very long walk to BCFC. Will take you at least 25 mins to walk!!!!
    What time are you tarvelling to Ballier at? (sorry if I'm late with this reply) this could also make the difference about what route to take.

The 79/79a stop at BCFC, they go via Kilaminham and some estates. 79a usually takes 20 mins....I usually find it quicker then the (78a/40)/ 79 especially in rush hour traffic! the 79/79a goes from Aston Quay (in front of Gypsey Rose)

Fowlers Grange Cross is just a 5 min walk from Tescos (college) for the match. Not sure what food you can get there in the evening!
    http://dublin.ratemyarea.com/places/fowlers-grange-cross-108325

The Laurence Lounge is also 2 bus stops 10 mins walk) away or you could catch the bus to Inchicore "Black Lion" for proper food! (that would be my recommendation if you have time).
    They like their footie in "The Laurence" though :D
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Laurence-Lounge/161853477158294

* N.B the 78a route from Aston Quay changed to a 40 last weekend. I can't seem to pull up the timetable to confirm that it stops on Aston quay like the 78a. The 78a used to leave from Aston Quay every 10 mins and stops outside BCFE

Thanks Sundew, lots of very useful info there. The course starts at 5.30, is I imagine I'll be traveling out there 5ish. The course ends at 9pm.

So from a safety point of view, I think I'll walk into town and get the 79 bus out to Ballyfermot. Then in the evenings when it's dark, get the 79 as far as Heuston and get the LUAS home to the IFSC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Thanks Sundew, lots of very useful info there. The course starts at 5.30, is I imagine I'll be traveling out there 5ish. The course ends at 9pm.

So from a safety point of view, I think I'll walk into town and get the 79 bus out to Ballyfermot. Then in the evenings when it's dark, get the 79 as far as Heuston and get the LUAS home to the IFSC.

You could also take the 78a into james st and get the same luas there at the hospital,Which ever Bus comes first you can get it even the 18.:)

Prouddub:
    Try and time the 79a instead of the 79 as it bypasses Kilmainham and possible snarlup going into Inchicore Village. The "a" uses the N4 so you should gain valuable time. You may hit traffic on the Kylemore Rd but you are so close to bcfe here that if you are going nowhere then jump off the bus and run :D

Didn't realize you were coming from the IFSC.....you could also get the luas to Heuston get a bite to eat in "The Galway Hooker" cross over to the bus stop in front of steevens Hos and catch your 79/79a from here.....depending on time.
    I'd be aiming to get the 4.20/4.45 79a ..if you get out there early you can check the pub out ;)

• Advertisement

Sundew wrote: »
    * N.B the 78a route from Aston Quay changed to a 40 last weekend. I can't seem to pull up the timetable to confirm that it stops on Aston quay like the 78a. The 78a used to leave from Aston Quay every 10 mins and stops outside BCFE

It doesn't serve Aston Quay anymore. It heads down D'Olier Street on to College Green and Dame Street (same as the 123). The route is unchanged from Thomas Street onwards.

Karsini wrote: »
    It doesn't serve Aston Quay anymore. It heads down D'Olier Street on to College Green and Dame Street (same as the 123). The route is unchanged from Thomas Street onwards.

Should clean up Aston Quay abit ;)

Thanks to everyone for the bus advice. It was very helpful.

Another Dublin bus question if I may be so bold.

Tomorrow, I need to get from Parnell Sq to The Barge pub beside the Charlemont Luas stop over at the Grand Canal. (Sorry, I don't know the name of the street, but I am told it is near Harcourt St.) What buses go from Parnell Sq to that part of town?

Going then (on foot) to a shop on Lr Camden St and then on to Ballyfermot. The 79 bus that I normally get to Ballyfermot goes along the quays. Do any other buses to Ballyfermot stop anywhere near Camden St?

Thanks again.

No buses going to Ballyfermot stop at Camden St or the likes. You'd have to walk up to Thomas St or somwhere to get the 78a.

From Parnell Sq to the Barge, walk to Townsend St, 44, 44b or 61 will leave you to Charlemont St which is where the Barge is.

Crap, so no north/south buses servicing that part of D2 stop at Parnell Sq? I'll be carrying a heavy box, so the walk from there to Townsend St will be a bit of a trek. Goshdarnit !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

I don't use Buses normally but I'm positive some buses go from parnell square via Georges st to Camden,123 perhaps??most buses that serve Rathmines/Ranelagh will go that route. Also,if you fancied a walk after Camden, you can get the 18 from Rathmines which will leave you in Ballyer.

122 goes from Parnell to Camden St, decent walk to The Barge from Camden St aswell.

Advertisement