Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steyr or tikka

Options
  • 14-11-2011 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

I hope to be in the market for a tikka t3 varmint or a steyr pro hunter heavy barrel in .300WM early next year...

What are ye're thoughts on which is the better rifle??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

Tikka hands down!

I suppose I should elaborate.

Prohunter is a well buit rifle and will be fine for hunting, but the Tikka will be that little bit more accurate. One reason they make them affordable is that they are all manufactured as long actions and then a block of plastic in the magazine is added for each calibre. With a long action like a 300 win mag this is no downfall.
    Spare magazines will be a bit cheaper too.

The only thing the Tikkas fall down on is the plastic bits on them. That being said I've not come across any Tikka owners that were unhappy with their rifles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭tomcat220t

Tikka all the way ......accurate and affordable ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Hibrion wrote: »
    That being said I've not come across any Tikka owners that were unhappy with their rifles.

Say hello to me then :D

My first rifle was a Tikka T3 Varmint that could shoot around corners, and down into dens like a laser guided bomb :D :rolleyes: It was extremely ammo fussy, it would only shoot one under an inch and that was bulk pack Federal.

I missed more foxes etc with that damn thing than if I had my eyes closed.

Funnily enough the night before I got rid of it I head shot two foxes. So I suppose even a stopped clock can be right twice a day.

I had it a year, tried different scopes, as many different weight, brand, and tipped ammo as I could get my hands on. The thing was a pig.

All that said, the above is just a rant against that particular rifle and it's Friday afternoon/Monday morning barrel. If I were to buy another Tikka, I would buy a Tactical. Though I did handle a Hunter and that's a very nice rifle I thought.

That's interesting, John. You are actually the first one I've known :O

Was it a 223? I have to say I;d go for a long action if I was getting a Tikka. The hunters are a nice rifle. I handled one recently in 30-06. Although I don't like the plastics, they make for a very light rifle.

What did you get instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Hondata92

I have to say I;d go for a long action if I was getting a Tikka.

I think hibrion means if he was going for a long action he would go tikka

There are others to consider but from your choices Tikka is the one to go for unless a sako 75 comes up at the right price

• Advertisement

If you can get a good sako second hand, which you should at the moment, go for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Lads, realistically, in a .300 win mag, there aren't going to be too many second handers around, so choice is going to be limited there. Of the two, I reckon it's a toss up. Both are great guns, both are relatively light for their builds. I'd probably lean towards the Tikka myself, just because I'm more familiar with them and it should shoot lights out. That said, I believe John Lambert may be looking to shift a .300 win mag, but I'm not sure what the build is. It might be a custom. Couldn't hurt to have a look for the money anyway. Anything else is likely going to have to be ordered in.

I think East Coast Dog and Gun has a few 300 win mags second hand. There are always some large calibres in the gun room there.

I think East Coast Dog and Gun has a few 300 win mags second hand. There are always some large calibres in the gun room there.

Yeah? Hmm... I do like my big boomers. May need to take a stroll.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Hondata92

Lads, realistically, in a .300 win mag, there aren't going to be too many second handers around, so choice is going to be limited there. Of the two, I reckon it's a toss up. Both are great guns, both are relatively light for their builds. I'd probably lean towards the Tikka myself, just because I'm more familiar with them and it should shoot lights out. That said, I believe John Lambert may be looking to shift a .300 win mag, but I'm not sure what the build is. It might be a custom. Couldn't hurt to have a look for the money anyway. Anything else is likely going to have to be ordered in.

From what ive seen theres a good few big cal's from different manufacturers sitting on shelves waiting to be sold

Reading between the lines what your saying is "John Lambert has a custom .300 win mag for sale at a good price"

Is he looking to sell it or "shift it" BIG difference

Shame its not a 7 rem mag (depending on action/barrel), might have an interest in one.

• Advertisement

I'll be honest, reason I'm not being specific is it's all hearsay and I don't know enough of the details. I believe it was a gun of his own, rather than shop stock, I think it might have been custom, and the price I heard for it is a good one (Don't think it'd be fair to stick up a hearsay price). I don't even know the specs of the gun. For what it's worth, anything the 7 mag can do, the .300 can do too, with the added facility of pushing the 200gr bullets out there. I would say however that the 150s and 160s out of the 7 are maybe a bit more sensible for deer here than the typical stout 180s from a .300 mag.

Was it a 223?

What did you get instead?

Yep, .223 with 1:8 twist.

I got the Remington VLSS .223 that I have now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

john you must have had a monday morning gun by the sounds of it . i have owned and used tikka's in various calls and found them all superb shooters.

to the op. i owned a tikka t3 tactical and i would rate them very highly and i would have one again in the morning, a great rifle. i would love one in 300 win mag.

i also owned a steyr prohunter and it was a cracking rifle with one flaw. the fore end on the stock where the bipod attached was a bit flimsy and would touch the barrel if you put any weight on it. ie. shooting from bipod. i have heard that the newer ones dont suffer this problem but it is worth checking it out before buying. simply hold the rifle in your hand and see if you can move the front of it. if so then it is going to cause you problems.
    dont get me wrong i love steyr in fact i sold my prohunter and bought a steyr elite to replace it.

its also worth looking at the ssg line from steyr they have a heavy barrel as well.

anyway hope this helps

happy hunting

I think the gun of John Lambert's you are thinking of, IWM, is a 338 lapua. It's sitting on the shelf because of the silly rules and difficulties of getting a restricted cert in Wexford.

IWM, it might be worth a ring to see what's there in East Coast Dog and Gun, but there are no lefties for us lot :(

Tac, what's the 300 win mag for?

Are you happy with the Remmy, John? Was it a good change?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Do you see how.many foxes he shot with.it?

I think he will say yes lol

Do you see how.many foxes he shot with.it?

I think he will say yes lol

I suppose you're right there! Stupid question. John seems to be to foxes what St. Patrick was to snakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Tackleberry.

I would have to say Styer as after a troublesome Sako and tikka now sharing the bed, I don't know if they are made in the same place but the Sako a 243 gave me trouble never could keep a zero, it took a bedding job to sort it but the point being they are saposed to shoot great out of the box (and it was new).
    My Styer Scout a super light rifle amazes me it fired forty rounds at a f class 300 meter target and all were kill shots 6"groupish never heated up to a point were shots went a stray, best rifle Ive ever owned for hunting deer, I have never heard a bad word about a New Styer.

Yeah I like it, it does what I need it to which is all I want in anything. I changed the trigger, had it bedded and got it screw cut to make life a little bit easier. But it shot very well out of the box for me.

Remingtons are good with a little work. I put a Timney in my 308 and it made a big difference.

Can't argue with that setup in 223 for foxing anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

I would have to say Styer as after a troublesome Sako and tikka now sharing the bed, I don't know if they are made in the same place but the Sako a 243 gave me trouble never could keep a zero, it took a bedding job to sort it but the point being they are saposed to shoot great out of the box (and it was new).
    My Styer Scout a super light rifle amazes me it fired forty rounds at a f class 300 meter target and all were kill shots 6"groupish never heated up to a point were shots went a stray, best rifle Ive ever owned for hunting deer, I have never heard a bad word about a New Styer.

no offence but what kind of scope did you have on your sako, and did you have it mounted properly.

you never heard a bad word about a steyr. ask anyone that has a steyr prohunter.

i have owned a steyr prohunter and a tikka, and still own an old sako and a steyr. out of the 4 the only one i had an issue with was the steyr prohunter.

just so you know 6" group = 2moa. most cheep factory rifles woild be 1.5moa or less. the rifle the op is asking about should be less than 1 to 1/2 moa capable, which would be equal to 1.5"-3" at 300

poulo6.5 wrote: »
    no offence but what kind of scope did you have on your sako, and did you have it mounted properly.

I was going to ask this myself. Loosing zero is more to do with mounts and scope than anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭silverfox1

to the op i'd have to suggest a tikka. i have two, a t3 light and hunter and both are great shooters. i dont have any experience with steyr though. i'd have to agree with tac on the sako. i bought a 75 hunter a couple of years ago and it was a great looking rifle but wouldn't group for anything. it got the best of ammo scopes and mounts and still no good. changed it for a tikka supervarmint and that was a different story. absolute tack driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭sikastag

Tikka without a doubt.

Own tikkas and sakos. Never had any problems of any sort.

Never owned Steyr for the simple reason that ive seen three synthetic prohunters with wonky fore-ends that at best needed a good sanding out to 're-float' the barrel. Reason enough for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Tackleberry.

poulo6.5 wrote: »

you never heard a bad word about a steyr. ask anyone that has a steyr prohunter.

i have owned a steyr prohunter and a tikka, and still own an old sako and a steyr. out of the 4 the only one i had an issue with was the steyr prohunter.

just so you know 6" group = 2moa. most cheep factory rifles woild be 1.5moa or less. the rifle the op is asking about should be less than 1 to 1/2 moa capable, which would be equal to 1.5"-3" at 300

The scope at the time was a burris with optilok rings and mounts and yes it was mounted corectly.
    did you own your prohunter from new and what was your issue? is it a prohunter issue only?
    my sako was the finnlight and it was a gunsmith that bedded it, i sold this rifle after i bought the styer as i was never happy with it, a friend bought it and he had the same problems( we nearly fell out over it as at the time i just taught it was me that was the problem, and no one likes buying a lemon ) and it was he who gave it to the gunsmith.but its ammo fusy.
    As for moa quoting what a rifle is capable of is fine but someone has to shoot it well, my point was that with the styer scout being the light barrelled rifle i have ever seen, and after fireing 40 rds within 40 mins i was very happy as the heating of the barrell did not have as much affect as i would of taught it would of.
    And i will add I just sold a TRG22 and it shot sweet, but im gussing were talking hunting rifles and the Styer is the best hunting rifle ive owned yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

I had a Sako 75 that was incredibly accurate @200 yards with 108 and 120 grain rounds.
    Synthetic Stainless.
    I shot my first deer in the head with it back 5 years ago or so at 172 yards.

Only reason I changed?
    Price of ammo (and Rifle Colour)

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Tac

I think the gun of John Lambert's you are thinking of, IWM, is a 338 lapua. It's sitting on the shelf because of the silly rules and difficulties of getting a restricted cert in Wexford.

IWM, it might be worth a ring to see what's there in East Coast Dog and Gun, but there are no lefties for us lot :(

Tac, what's the 300 win mag for?

Im gonna use it for Boar...am defo leaning towards the Tikka..

Tac wrote: »
    Im gonna use it for Boar...am defo leaning towards the Tikka..

For boar, you might like a faster handling gun. Have you thought about just having one built on the likes of a Sako action? Nice bit of weight there to tame recoil and keep the gun balanced. Sauer makes a great handling rifle too. Get a Sako in .30-06, have it re-chambered and the bolt face opened up. If you get a decent price on a second hand one (though the Sako barrels are relatively short) the extra work would only cost a couple of hundred. That or get a cheap older Sako, new barrel or surplus former factory barrel at 24", bolt face opened, good to go.

A 30-06 or even a 308 will be plenty for boar. Where are you going on the shoot?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Tac

Thanks for all the advice lads. i hope to use it for boar in germany / croatia. i have a Sako 85 stainless finnlite in .300wm. its a great gun but i find im steadyier with a heavy barrelled rifle..and also its just a straight forward substitution, as .308 and .30-06 "on paper" are considered bigger rounds, and therefore a new firearms aplication applies...so il stick with the .300wm. hope to go to scotland at some stage with it too..

Advertisement