Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steyr or tikka

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Tac wrote: »
    Thanks for all the advice lads. i hope to use it for boar in germany / croatia. i have a Sako 85 stainless finnlite in .300wm. its a great gun but i find im steadyier with a heavy barrelled rifle..and also its just a straight forward substitution, as .308 and .30-06 "on paper" are considered bigger rounds, and therefore a new firearms aplication applies...so il stick with the .300wm. hope to go to scotland at some stage with it too..

Maybe just throw a new barrel on the Sako 85? Would probably work out the same price as a new rifle or considerably better, and you then have a gun you're used to the feel of that suits you better. 24" medium-heavy sporter should be plenty of weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

You should get a substitution on a 300 win mag to another large 30 cal no problem. How will you be shooting while over there? Is it form a high seat or driven? A lot of shoots in Germany won't let you on with a synthetic stocked rifle; I know, go figure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Hibrion wrote: »
    A lot of shoots in Germany won't let you on with a synthetic stocked rifle; I know, go figure.

What? :pac: That's bloody ridiculous! :pac: I now have seen one better than the no semi auto at (some) clay shoots!

I know. It's pure madness. But that's the way some of them are. Was having a chat about boar shoots in a local RFDs last weekend and this came up. A lad went to Germany with a lovely 6.5 x 55, nothing wrong with the cal, but when they seen the stock they told him he couldn't use it.
    He still got to shoot though. They loaned him a full stock Steyr Mannlicher in .270 for the day.

It makes absolutely no sense, but it's better to know and ask before you get there.

I used to get the same treatment at some clay shoots when I turned up with evil, black, semi auto Mossberg :O
    The funny thing is, I get just a many weird looks with the SxS now!

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Tac

Thanks for all the advice lads. i hope to use it for boar in germany / croatia. i have a Sako 85 stainless finnlite in .300wm. its a great gun but i find im steadyier with a heavy barrelled rifle..and also its just a straight forward substitution, as .308 and .30-06 "on paper" are considered bigger rounds, and therefore a new firearms aplication applies...so il stick with the .300wm. hope to go to scotland at some stage with it too..

Maybe just throw a new barrel on the Sako 85? Would probably work out the same price as a new rifle or considerably better, and you then have a gun you're used to the feel of that suits you better. 24" medium-heavy sporter should be plenty of weight.

Defo dont think the 85 will take a heavy barrel. although its a fine rifle id just prefer a heavy barrel win mag. i hav a sako 75 varmint in 6,5x55 and its a fine rifle. it suits me.

• Advertisement

Why don't you take the 6.5x55 with you on the boar trip? It's a fine calibre.

True. its a great calibre alright, but the win mag i think is safer for the driven hunt, harder hitting and also more range from the high seat.
    Its lookin highly likely that ill get a T3 varmint when i sell the Sako.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Hondata92

For what it's worth, anything the 7 mag can do, the .300 can do too, with the added facility of pushing the 200gr bullets out there. I would say however that the 150s and 160s out of the 7 are maybe a bit more sensible for deer here than the typical stout 180s from a .300 mag.

Look at the ballistics and look at international F class, the .300 win mag doesnt even come into it.

Is there any factory ammo available that runs the 200gr??

Hondata92 wrote: »
    Look at the ballistics and look at international F class, the .300 win mag doesnt even come into it.

Is there any factory ammo available that runs the 200gr??

Neither does the 7 rem mag. There are 200gr bullets in factory loads in .300 win alright. They're hunting cartridges, not serious target rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭tomcat220t

Neither does the 7 rem mag. There are 200gr bullets in factory loads in .300 win alright. They're hunting cartridges, not serious target rounds.
    I agree ,both calibers are best suited hunting ....neither are going to be accurate or consistent enough for F-class.That said the 7mm wsm ..ect are top dog for F-class not the 30 cals.

• Advertisement

A 308 might be a good all round option. You can go up to 200 grain and there is still small recoil. I've used 200 grain winchester silver tips before and they were fine.
    Recoil might be a factor for you in getting a second shot off on a driven hunt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

I'm rebarrelling my .308 to a 1/10 twist to be Super accurate with 150-200 grain ammo.

.308 on a Boar is well fit for deep penetration and energy.

If it's specifically for boar, why don't you go for one of the old favourites, like the 9.3x62? It's still perfectly good as a 200-250 yard deer round, big heavy bullet is well loved on driven hunts and it's an old favourite in Africa too if you got over there. It's a not a .270 so it's not going to shoot crazy flat the way the .300 mag will for long range shots on deer on open hillside here, but if you've got the 6.5 you're probably comfortable enough judging drift and drop anyway for that stuff. The 9.3 would do better in a shorter barrel than the .300 mag, perfect around 22-23" and offer at least as much thump on the far end (Probably far more with the slow 286gr bullet) for no extra recoil on your end, and less blast too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Easier, Licence, Use and buy ammo for .308.

Need to be used to a rifle to be able to hit boar @100 yards, not fire 3 - 4 rounds per year.

Need to be used to a rifle to be able to hit boar @100 yards, not fire 3 - 4 rounds per year.

He's been shooting a .300 win for a while. The 9.3 or anything similar isn't going to be a huge learning curve. If he re-barrels his Sako 85 in it (And it will certainly take a barrel a contour or so heavier with minimal work to the barrel channel) he's got a rifle he's familiar with. Order ammo in bulk and get what you want to run through it, with the barrel chambered and throated for it. Boar ain't small and driven shoots are typically a lot closer than 100 yards. Handling is everything, not accuracy. As to round count, if he's been feeding a .300 win, he'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Hondata92

tomcat220t wrote: »
    I agree ,both calibers are best suited hunting ....neither are going to be accurate or consistent enough for F-class.That said the 7mm wsm ..ect are top dog for F-class not the 30 cals.

I should have worded my post better :o:o

What i was trying to say is the 7mm is ballisticaly better than the 30cal weight for weight and even when compared to heavier 30cal rounds.

If both the 7rem mag and the 300 win man are compared at 1000yards the 7rem mag is better due to a higher bc (for factory ammo)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭323

Fantastic caliber that hits way above its size & paper ballistics. Was surprised when a friend in Denmark, 30 odd years at boar and a 6.5x55 fanatic, told me he stopped using it for Boar, to many going huge distances after well placed shots. Uses either his 308 or 9.3mm when going after boar.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

He's been shooting a .300 win for a while. The 9.3 or anything similar isn't going to be a huge learning curve. If he re-barrels his Sako 85 in it (And it will certainly take a barrel a contour or so heavier with minimal work to the barrel channel) he's got a rifle he's familiar with. Order ammo in bulk and get what you want to run through it, with the barrel chambered and throated for it. Boar ain't small and driven shoots are typically a lot closer than 100 yards. Handling is everything, not accuracy. As to round count, if he's been feeding a .300 win, he'll be fine.

Am going to look into rebarrellin the Sako.. any idea's on who to ask about it?

Am going to look into rebarrellin the Sako.. any idea's on who to ask about it?

Fergal Whyte in Athlone would be the man to talk to. The 9.3 looks like a great choice. You'll need to get a new bolt face made up (Smaller head than the .300 mag) or a new bolt ordered, but it shouldn't be much hassle. If you re-barrelled the 6.5 you wouldn't need the bolt face work as it's the same size.

thanks for that. i have Fergals number now so ill be in touch with him. Will probably stick with the Winny if i can...fond of that calibre.

• Advertisement

thanks for that. i have Fergals number now so ill be in touch with him. Will probably stick with the Winny if i can...fond of that calibre.

No problem, and no work required there bar the replacement. Great choice.

have started a new thread on rebarelling the 85.. pics up too.

Advertisement