Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meal supplements

• 14-11-2011 11:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭

So my boxer who is almost 14 months old is currently on Arden Grange. I'm really happy with him, shiny coat, no farts etc. However as a college student I find it quite expensive to buy, I get it from zooplus and it ends up being around €40 a bag, a great deal really. But I am waiting for my grant to come back, so I was just wondering if there was anything I could buy to supplement maybe a couple of meals a week just to make it last that bit longer. He currently gets 2 large bones a week. I was thinking of buying raw fish.Anyone have any ideas or thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

When things are tight I suppliment my dogs food with things like boiled kidneys (horrible smell when cooking them) which I've sometimes gotten free from the butches, try your local butcher to see if they have any offal they need used up as offal should be cooked on the day it's purchased they sometimes need to get rid of the stuff maybe go in just before they are closing up.

Stewing steak and other stuff as well, whatever is on offer on the day at the butchers. You can buy a bunch of chicken legs and boil them even the free range ones are cheap enough and then just strip all the meat off the bones and throw the bones away.

I also use tinned makerel, boiled rice (rice is dirt cheap) and cooked frozen peas and cooked carrot (bags of carrots are dirt cheap). Oh and some vets do what they call dog mince for dogs as well.

Courgette is another veg you can use.

If I boil up stuff for them I sometimes add some fresh parsley and I keep the boiled veg or chicken water/stock and on cold days especially they have a nice warm soup.

Oh and if you have left over bananas that need using up you can make doggy banana bread or if you have a few eggs some scrambled egg..no need to add butter just a titch of milk.

Advertisement