Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Living in a rural area

• 14-11-2011 11:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Is there any scheme set up for people living far away from the social welfare office and post office?
    I've been signing on for a couple of months now, living about 7 or 8km away from the post office with no bus services, the social welfare office is about 20km then, but there's a bus from the village where the post office is.
    My father was unemployed and is starting a job tommorrow and I just realised I've no way of getting up to sign on or collect my money.
    I'm under 24 so really not getting enough money to get taxis in and out and I don't know the neighbours very well, and have no other family around.
    I can drive but no car at the moment

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭hawthorne

Sorry- no sheme.
    I was in the same situation. SW office 25 kms away, no car. Had to use the bicycle, a bus and train and was gone for the best part of the day. No refund, no free ticket.
    Welcome to the pain everybody has to share....well- some anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

If you live more than 10 miles from the SW office, you usually would only be signing on every 12 weeks (see below), which would cut down significantly on the journeys. Also, remember that SW payments may still be in the PO on a Saturday morning (assuming it's open) when your father may be able to give you a lift. Ask at your PO if it will still be there on Saturdays.

In some cases you may sign on more or less frequently. Usually if you live up to 10 miles from the nearest Social Welfare Local Office you will sign on every 4 weeks. If you live over 10 miles from the nearest Social Welfare Local Office you will sign on every 12 weeks.http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/unemployed_people/signing_on.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks for the help guys..
    I have to sign on Tuesday so I'll find out about the 12 weeks then, I assume you just ask in the sw office, without having to go to the cwo or anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭hawthorne

Great- it was not possible in my time to sign on every 12 weeks. I had to go every 4 weeks. Good news.

Advertisement