Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Teaching Subjects

• 14-11-2011 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi

I am just enquiring about secondary teaching.

If I have a degree in history and I also have a HDip and I am then qualified to teach History.

What happens if I want to teach other subjects - for example Geography - how do I go about teaching other subjects? Would I need a degree in Geography to teach it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭Rosita

missyver wrote: »
    Hi

1) If I have a degree in history and I also have a HDip and I am then qualified to teach History.

2) What happens if I want to teach other subjects - for example Geography - how do I go about teaching other subjects? Would I need a degree in Geography to teach it?

1) Assuming that by 'HDip' you mean PDE (Professional Diploma in Education - it has undergone two name changes since the days of 'H Dips') the answer is 'yes'.

2) Of course you would need a degree in Geography to teach it. Why should it be any different to History?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

go to www.pac.ie or onto www.teachingcouncil.ie and look for your degree under the degree recognition list and that will tell you what subjects you'd be qualified to teach upon completion of the dip.

If you want to teach another subject you need to have at least 54 ECTS credits in that subject. these are university credits under the EU system.

that's the best starting point for you. TBH the teaching market is so saturated I'd recommend getting another subject as you'll most probably always be completing with other teachers who have 2 subjects and therefore you won't stand a chance.

finally - just because the list on the 2 mentioned websites states what subjects you're eligible to teach, in reality that's not always the case. read the small print. you need 54 ECTS or 30% of 180 credit degree awarded to that subject. however, if its a pure history degree, it's probably just history so do research getting a 2nd subject.

HTH

Advertisement