Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

help with dole

• 14-11-2011 11:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi,

I am currently a mature student but due to cuts in my grant i am unable to continue in college (Bills mounting up). So my choice is too struggle through college and get my degree and have bad credit rating, or leave now and go job hunting.

I am lucky because my old boss is able to hire me again, but not until january. I am wondering if i leave college now, would i be able to get the dole until January? I should have enough tax credits as i had a good paid job and worked many years before i left to go to college.

Thanks for your advice :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Lugh Ildanach

There are two possibilities depending on your PRSI record. To get Jobseekers Benefit you must have sufficient credits in the relevant years. They start with two years prior to the year of claim. So if you make your claim in 2011, they will first look at 2009. There are a number of different ways to make up the necessary credits, but if you have been out of the workforce for a while, then you may find that you don't have enough.

Check here to see if you have sufficient credits http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Schemes/JobseekerSupports/JobseekersBenefit/Pages/jb.aspx

There is also the issue of whether you have suffered a "loss of employment". This is another requirement of Jobseekers Benefit, and generally you must have suffered the loss of at least one day's employment within the past year to qualify. If you haven't worked at all over the past year, then you may fall foul of this rule.

If you don't don't qualify for Jobseekers Benefit, then you can apply for Jobseekers Allowance. This is not based on PRSI credits, and is means tested, so any other income that you or any spouse/partner have will be taken into account in assessing your eligibility.

For either payment you will need evidence from your college that you have left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

don't you have to wait three months after leaving a course to apply for JSA/JSB?
    maybe that's just for under 23's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭LovelyHurling

loribells wrote: »
    Hi,

I am currently a mature student but due to cuts in my grant i am unable to continue in college (Bills mounting up). So my choice is too struggle through college and get my degree and have bad credit rating, or leave now and go job hunting.

I am lucky because my old boss is able to hire me again, but not until january. I am wondering if i leave college now, would i be able to get the dole until January? I should have enough tax credits as i had a good paid job and worked many years before i left to go to college.

Thanks for your advice :)

Sorry if this is a terribly cynical answer but if I were in your position, and depending on the amount of time you have left remaining in college, I might be tempted to quit my course, be jobless for the rest of the academic year, and then complete my course whilst on Back To Education Allowance, which will allow you to work part time and retain your rent assistance payments as well as your basic JSA.

I know that's not a politically correct answer but I think it's a realistic 'lesser evil' solution faced by people in your sort of situation.

Advertisement