Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Disc mower out there?

• 15-11-2011 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi all,

I'm going to purchase a new 3 point linkage mounted, disc mower before the end of the year.

So what is the best mower on the market. I'm considering Taarup, Kuhn and Vicon at the moment. Also the Lely mowers seem to be very popular.

I would appreciate any information you might have on these mowers, including any problems/faults that you may have encountered.

Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

kuhn is the best i would say

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Swinefluproof

Have a Claas Disco 240, bout 7 years old never had a problem. Got a contractor model though with a heavy duty bed. Heard good things about Lely though

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Haven't got one but I hear lely are v easy to drive and change blades on. Any mower is a good one until it hits the first rock/bar etc.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭JOAT

We have a Krone for the last 4 years. does a lot of work and never one bit of bother with it. Had a smaller version for about 8 years before that and never had a problem either. Only reason we got rid of the first one was due to the sheer amount of work it had done, it was starting to get a bit shook and as well it was only around 6 feet wide!! Have a neighbor that is on his 2nd Kuhn mower. And with this lad any machine that is still in one piece after a year, really shows its worth as he is a wreck with machinery. Has his current one for about 3 years and havent heard of any problems. So they must be made of pretty serious stuff to have lasted this long with him!! :rolleyes: Couldn't recommend our own Krone highly enough tho. Very easy to run and maintain and will stand up to the odd knock if it hits something

• Registered Users Posts: 22 golfcruiser

JOAT wrote: »
    We have a Krone for the last 4 years. does a lot of work and never one bit of bother with it. Had a smaller version for about 8 years before that and never had a problem either. Only reason we got rid of the first one was due to the sheer amount of work it had done, it was starting to get a bit shook and as well it was only around 6 feet wide!! Have a neighbor that is on his 2nd Kuhn mower. And with this lad any machine that is still in one piece after a year, really shows its worth as he is a wreck with machinery. Has his current one for about 3 years and havent heard of any problems. So they must be made of pretty serious stuff to have lasted this long with him!! :rolleyes: Couldn't recommend our own Krone highly enough tho. Very easy to run and maintain and will stand up to the odd knock if it hits something

Ya I have been driving a krone conditioner mower myself for the last 3 years for a silage contractor and the only problems we had was with the axels, tire wear and cracking panels. All problems that would not be relevant with a disc mower anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Figerty

Bought a Lely Splendimo 5'6 two years ago for a Ford 4000. Tractor is well able to handle it.

It doesn't gear trains the whole way down it has a a drive shaft which appears to be easier to drive, and should something go wrong only the section need replacing not ripping the entire gear train.

Changing cutting blades takes seconds.
    Easy put on, take off of the three point linkage and control, can cut on with the blade up atany abgle up to 90 degrees to the ground..should you want to.

I'm not doing huge hours on it but I know my Engineering and this a well made machine. I don't know if its better than other machines, but it's a good one.. reminds me to put it in for the winter..

I still have the finger bar for really bad ground!

Figerty wrote: »
    Bought a Lely Splendimo 5'6 two years ago for a Ford 4000. Tractor is well able to handle it.

It doesn't gear trains the whole way down it has a a drive shaft which appears to be easier to drive, and should something go wrong only the section need replacing not ripping the entire gear train.

Changing cutting blades takes seconds.
    Easy put on, take off of the three point linkage and control, can cut on with the blade up atany abgle up to 90 degrees to the ground..should you want to.

I'm not doing huge hours on it but I know my Engineering and this a well made machine. I don't know if its better than other machines, but it's a good one.. reminds me to put it in for the winter..

I still have the finger bar for really bad ground!

Very good, they're definetely a very popular machine. Have a fingerbar at home ourselves but think it's time to trade up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭flatout11

anything with a khun bed in them, the new jf models use the khun bed aswell with independant bearings, TBH i wouldnt be going over 8ft with them, i think any longer than this is too much of a strain on the mower bed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Grecco

Thinking of getting the splendimo-classic myself. Anyone have one of these? or know the price?

http://www.lely.com/en/forage-harvesting/mowing/rear-mowers/splendimo-classic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,979 ✭✭✭straight

I can recommend the 8 foot kuhn with the heavy duty bed. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭poor farmer

Currently have 8' kuhn its pretty good .Used to have a vicon
    I think the vicon is better, 3 blades on each disc and the blades are stronger than kuhn blades

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Rollant46

I would reccomend a vicon disc mower as it has 3 blades to each drum and is alot easier to run than a kuhn or a lely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Grecco

Rollant46 wrote: »
    I would reccomend a vicon disc mower as it has 3 blades to each drum and is alot easier to run than a kuhn or a lely.

What price are they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Rollant46

ya something like dis disk mower we have accept ours is 5'6''. not too sure what there worth new ours was bought second hand!!
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/machinery/2526937

Rollant46 wrote: »

Going to go with the Vicon I think

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭warfie35

Hi all,

I'm going to purchase a new 3 point linkage mounted, disc mower before the end of the year.

So what is the best mower on the market. I'm considering Taarup, Kuhn and Vicon at the moment. Also the Lely mowers seem to be very popular.

I would appreciate any information you might have on these mowers, including any problems/faults that you may have encountered.

Thanks

Bought a 7 foot kuhn heavy duty this, very happy with it, lely ok but have a grease bed, dries up over time etc, kuhn have oil bed, if up grading few years time get more for kuhn in a trade in, best of luck with your choice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Going to go with the Vicon I think

We have a Vicon for the last 7 or 8 years. Its an 8ft model. Used to work it on a MF168, and it was well able for it. It cuts about 100 acres per year and its still quite fresh. Only part that i ever had to put into it was a bearing in one of the spinners after I hit a stone with it. I spray it with burned oil every year which keeps it fresh and prevents it rusting. I expect to get a good few more years out of it.

It has an oil bath as opposed to the lely which has a grease bath. Its pretty similar to the lely in all other ways though.

Wouldn't rule out a Kuhn either. They're supposed to be made of very tough stuff - but they are very expensive!!

Advertisement