Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

removing tiled floor

• 15-11-2011 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

Hi all, just bought a house and am starting to redecorate etc. the kitchen diner is currently all tiled floor, i intend to split it and put laminate flooring down in the diner side. i am using a kango with a blade to remove the tiles, but a lot of the mortar is staying on the concrete floor. any tips on the best way to remove this. thanks for your time in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

You just scrape as much of it as you can away. Some people use a lighter drill like an sds drill so it does not bounce as much.

However do not be surprised if you need to level the floor or lay a thin sheet of ply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Personally would use an SDS drill with the widest attachment they have in the hire shop - failing that a bolster chisel and hammer also works - depending on the size of the area. A kango is a bit of overkill for a job like this and more difficult to control.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭baldshaunieb

Thanks to both for your comments, had to use a kango - floor area too big to use anything smaller - I have an sds drill and did consider it, glad i didn't! Am using the sds to sort out any remaining rough patches.

Advertisement