Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I looking for a polar hrm?

• 15-11-2011 12:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭

I need to get myself a good HRM.

I love my garmin 310xt, but to be honest it just seems to suck for running with. On the bike its great (speed/power/hr), and in a triathlon it's always spot on come the run, but for run training it gives me terrible HR data (will spike up to 200bpm and stay there) and takes an age to actually get reception which means I end up doing the run without getting any gps/pace data anyway. I've tried a few different hr straps, tried using an fr60, and cycled through a variety of tshirts and tops to make sure nothing is causing interference - but the data rarely comes up right.

For a long time I was using the gps on the 310xt to give me my current pace or measure distance, but most of my run training is by HR zone now anyway, and I just dont trust the data from the garmin for this.

Is polar still the way to go for a sold hrm, and are they still crap at giving good gps data? My old ancient polar hrm couldn't download any data to a computer, but I never distrusted the HR data. For intervals etc. now I'd like to get some data off the watch to upload/review on trainingpeaks, and set some intervals by hr.

Its going to feel very exposed losing distance/pace info form my runs, but I think its time to take a punt and drop that data so that im hitting sessions as planned.

Anyone got any recommendations? Christmas is coming which means there's an inevitable voucher for amazon.com from work :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

If you have bought the premium hrm with Garmin, you can purchase the Polar strap and it slots in nicely. I dont know if its as good as a Polar but it sorted out the spiking for me, far better than the garmin anyways and is only about 13 euros - which will give you more purchasing power from your Amazon voucher for the sub 10 attempt :D

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=73058350

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

kingQuez wrote: »
    Anyone got any recommendations? Christmas is coming which means there's an inevitable voucher for amazon.com from work :D

Work extra hard for the next few weeks, you might get enough to pay a chunk off the 910.

Does the HRM only spike on the run and not the bike? Does it work properly if you do a brick session?
    takes an age to actually get reception which means I end up doing the run without getting any gps/pace data anyway.

I dance around outside the house waiting for my satellite signal(I'm impatient and I like to put on a show), or I stick it out on the windowsill while I'm getting changed so it has the signal by the time I'm leaving. Glad it's not just mine that takes ages to get it's signal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

...and takes an age to actually get reception which means I end up doing the run without getting any gps/pace data anyway.
    You really have to keep the watch stationary to lock on to those satellites. If you start running, you'll be waiting ages for it to lock-on.

I've given up completely on trying to get any reliable data from a Garmin HRM. They just suck. As a consequence, I don't use the HR data while running any more (but look at it afterwards, after deleting/ignoring the data for the first mile). I know Abhainn has been known to wear two watches in a race (one for HR and one to record the GPS data).

I had no problems with the cheapo Polar HRM I used to use, but it only gave you 'real-time' data, rather than recording a stream of data, but might meet your needs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

On the getting reception - leave the watch outside the back door before you go to change your clothes and it'll have reception in a few minutes. Or, switch on the watch when you can during the say or on your way home for work and this will mean it will find the lock again quicker (i.e if you have found a lock outside your house at 6pm and then switched it off again, it will refind a lock at 8pm much quicker than if it had been off since the previous day)

For the HR strap - if you really have trouble getting it to read correctly, consider using eletrode gel. Usually the garmin HR monitor has trouble getting a stable HR until you start sweatging which can be a mile or 2 into the run. I wet the strap before putting it on but sometimes this will try out before I've started sweating so doesn't work. I've found the battery in the monitor only lasts about 200 hours of use also so maybe you need to change the battery.

I've found though that once the monitor has sweat (or electrode gel) it reads quite stable and is certainly good enough for HR zone training.

yes put a bit of water on the hrm strap on the sensor parts before starting. if the battery is running out you will get really bad hrm data so change it if that's happening. maybe try the polar strap otherwise.
    for gps lock put watch outside for a min/two whilst getting ready for run. if it's a cloudy day and or in built-up area may take longer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

I need to get myself a good HRM.

I love my garmin 310xt, but to be honest it just seems to suck for running with. On the bike its great (speed/power/hr), and in a triathlon it's always spot on come the run, but for run training it gives me terrible HR data (will spike up to 200bpm and stay there) and takes an age to actually get reception which means I end up doing the run without getting any gps/pace data anyway. I've tried a few different hr straps, tried using an fr60, and cycled through a variety of tshirts and tops to make sure nothing is causing interference - but the data rarely comes up right.

For a long time I was using the gps on the 310xt to give me my current pace or measure distance, but most of my run training is by HR zone now anyway, and I just dont trust the data from the garmin for this.

Is polar still the way to go for a sold hrm, and are they still crap at giving good gps data? My old ancient polar hrm couldn't download any data to a computer, but I never distrusted the HR data. For intervals etc. now I'd like to get some data off the watch to upload/review on trainingpeaks, and set some intervals by hr.

Its going to feel very exposed losing distance/pace info form my runs, but I think its time to take a punt and drop that data so that im hitting sessions as planned.

Regarding the GPS - update the firmware, Garmin introduced some bugs that slowed the satellite acquisition process.

Polar strap with a Garmin centre piece is good.

What I've discovered recently is that the strap is only have the process.

The same strap can result in readings 2-3 bpm different between devices - different devices do different data cleanup, smoothing and averaging. Polar S625x appear to do some sort of 1-2 second rolling average, SRMs give instant responds (not always good), other devices do different things. HR measured at the ear lags loads.

Garmin didn't *get* HR and their straps show this. the new premium is better bit its not perfect.

The differences between bike and run are probably down the the static build up being more while running than cycling.

Basically use a Polar strap.

Also some Garmin 310xts were "duds" on GPS locks, I returned one and got a new one because of it.

You should be able to get a lock, in clear skies in seconds. I know I do now. I didn't and own a few garmin footpods when I bought as a workaround.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭ger664

I have a Polar 300SX with foot pod. HR is excellent, foot pod required calibration but is accurate once correctly calibrated. I also have an Aldi HR watch which used to give error and spikes but if you spend ~€10 in your chemist and get some ECG Gel it works a lot better, might be worth a try with the Garmin Strap.

ger664 wrote: »
    I have a Polar 300SX with foot pod. HR is excellent, foot pod required calibration but is accurate once correctly calibrated. I also have an Aldi HR watch which used to give error and spikes but if you spend ~€10 in your chemist and get some ECG Gel it works a lot better, might be worth a try with the Garmin Strap.

KY-Jelly works too to lube the straps but can pose awkward questions if it is found in your bag by your OH..............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

Niceone, thanks for the various suggestions; I'll try a polar strap before I do anything more drastic :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Hey folks, just to add petrol to the discussion.

I have always used Polar HRM until I got a Garmin 305 and became fixated by GPS and mapping. This year I went back to Polar when they introduced the RCX5 and bar the separate GPS unit I think Polar have it sussed.

The only thing missing from the mapping facility is showing the elevation but this I understand is down to the software on the website rather that the unit.

There are many things on the watch which are similar to the 305 / 310 range and I suppose a comparison table would be ideal. It could be a face off situation where "mine does this, does yours?" becomes the dominant phrase.

If anyone wants to see some of the training files I am happy to share. It might be an interesting table to build through all the different HRM's that are in use by the ARTists. Who is the table king or queen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 clewless

The Polar RCX5 looks like an amazing bit of kit - would love one but abit pricey at the moment

Advertisement