Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dropping out of commerce for engineering

Options
  • 15-11-2011 12:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

I am seriously considering dropping out of commerce in ucd for engineering as commerce grads are a dime a dozen and the course is not as technical as I thought it would be. My career prospects would not be great as a bcomm grad, and I enjoy maths and have got all A's in maths modules in commerce. Also I would enjoy engineering as from a young age I have always took things apart and had construction sets, mechano etc. and enjoy knowing how things work. One problem is though that I dropped down to ordinary maths for the leaving as I thought I would need high points without knowing exactly what I wanted to do.. I also didn't pick physics as I only picked one science subject-biology, purely because it was easy and I wanted to maximise points/ workload ratio.
    Advice please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭kate.m

Hi,

First off - I don't *think* you can transfer this year for the main reason that (from my own experience with TCD) when considering transfer applications - LC points and requirements are strictly followed - so not having HL maths would stop you...then again UCD might have different rules so ask your tutor or admissions. IF it's possible to transfer and they ignore the whole maths requirement issue (which I doubt they will) then you probably have to apply for a transfer - I don't know if you've left it too late for a 1st year transfer or not - I've heard they allow you to transfer from SF of one course to JF of another. (from 2nd year of old course to 1st year of new course)

You could repeat maths for the LC this year, and then appy via the CAO next year OR you could apply next year via the CAO to a college that does engineering without the HL maths requriement (there's an engineering course in D.I.T that doesn't require it...not too sure...)

I wouldn't be too dismissive of a commerce degree - from what I learnt at the open day last year it's now a 3 year course (I think!) but the idea is that you do a graduate degree in a speciality area such as finance or economics. That's what I was told anyway :)

Other than that if you're sure engineering is what you want go for it. Good Luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 derealmoister

Well I'm actually doing business and law, which is 4 years and the law side doesn't have much going for itself tbh...

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Equium

One way to get around the maths requirement is to do an ordinary degree (3 year course) in your preferred stream of engineering (civil, mech, electronic, etc.). With a high enough mark you can transfer into an honours degree programme upon graduation, with 3rd year the most likely entry point. Please note, however, that engineering is now a 5 year course... If you take the aforementioned route you are talking about a six year commitment.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭kate.m

Well I'm actually doing business and law, which is 4 years and the law side doesn't have much going for itself tbh...

Can I ask what degree you get with business and law? Is it a Degree in commerce Or law?

I only know about commerce. is your course it 3 or 4 years?

Have you decided what you will do?

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Noodleworm

You really can't say you'll be good at a subject based on what you've done in secondary as its so different. I know a guy in my class who was terrific at engineering in secondary, went to do it in college and absolutely hated it. Moved to multimedia instead, which he'd never done before and loved.
    You could look into sitting in on engineering lectures in your college?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 derealmoister

Maybe because engineering in college is more about maths/physics/chemistry than just knowing how things work and the application of science, which the lc engineering is mostly about? My degree is in both comm and law - 4 years

Advertisement