Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unpopular Opinions.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    Louis Ck, Bill Burr, Jim Norton, Dave Chappelle, Chris Rock
    > Any UK or Irish stand up.

Not a fan of Chris Rock at all. Some of his material is pretty good, but his delivery really puts me off. Not a big fan of the shouty, preacher-like style. I could never sit through a full show of that.

For some reason, Bill Burr doesn't really do anything for me. I've laughed a few times, but I would never pay to see him.

Louis CK and Dave Chappelle, I like some of their stuff. They're definitely two of the better ones. Chappelle's skit about celebrities from his For What It's Worth show is great. :D

Jim Norton's stand-up isn't great, in my opinion. He seems to do better on Opie and Anthony's show when he's just kicking back, having a bit of banter. His rehearsed material is not great, I don't think.

I would still prefer Dylan Moran to any of the above.

Humour is a pretty subjective thing, I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Doug Stanhope is my favourite comedian of all time,with Stewart Lee a distant second.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Doug Stanhope is my favourite comedian of all time,with Stewart Lee a distant second.

Stewart Lee is so great, and his material gets plagiarised quite a bit too. People would just never know because he hasn't made it nearly as big as the people who rip him off.

Stanhope has some good stuff, for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Try making a "controversial" post over on a forum like Christianity.
    You'll be branded a troll and receive infractions and bans.
    Is this not a limitation of free speech???
    Any specific examples? People with unchristian views on hot-topic subjects like abortion, homosexuality, casual sex and the like, can and regularly do post their opinions on the matter. You're also free to argue against the existence of the Judeo-Christian God, any inconsistencies within scripture (as you may see it), and issues of morality, on the various megathreads that are in place to avoid cluttering on the forum.

If by "controversial" posting you mean barging in and calling Christians deluded sheep who believe in fairies, then yeah, I guess you'll receive infractions and bans. Which doesn't seem all that unreasonable to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Video games are becoming more and more boring the last few years. Most are the just the same generic shooter over and over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

1ZRed wrote: »
    Video games are becoming more and more boring the last few years. Most are the just the same generic shooter over and over.

And they're sooo complicated now! Tried to play CoD the other day (first time ever) and I hadn't a clue what I was at! What happened to 2D platform games like Mario and sonic? :(

And they're sooo complicated now! Tried to play CoD the other day (first time ever) and I hadn't a clue what I was at! What happened to 2D platform games like Mario and sonic? :(

Surprised you couldn't pick it up after 5 minutes, had you stuck at it. All it is is kids and cheaters that play it. You're better off without :p

Surprised you couldn't pick it up after 5 minutes, had you stuck at it. All it is is kids and cheaters that play it. You're better off without :p

I went on and these kids started shooting me and then I was dead. Bullies :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Chris Ryan

I don't hate Justin Bieber or One Direction, I hate the screaming teenage girls that like them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

Shooters are best bro, nothing beats gunning down you're fellow man.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Splagmata

Boards.ie is under moderated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

Boards.ie moderators are overpaid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Those ice cold pints are terrible, bud and heino. They're so cold that there's no taste off them, and after a while your hand gets sore holding the freezing pint.
    Get rid of this fad please. I like to be able to taste my beer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭oldscoil

Modern hip hop is horrible horrible music sang by complete scumbags.

Erykah Badu claimed:
    "hip hop rules the rule, if ya go t’ Japan everybody bobbin’ they heeed righ’ now”
    I think that’s what she was saying, for an educated person she had decided to forego pronunciation and speak with a drawl of inbred imbecile from a backwater swamp.
    And maybe Hop Hip is the most popular music worldwide but Baywatch was the most popular TV show. So popularity “that’ done mean sheeeet,”

The media never has a bad word to say about Jay Z.
    Why is this?
    It’s like if you say you don’t like Jay Z, you are a WASP.
    He is a good song writer but he is more of a capitalist than Carter Pewterschmidt.
    He’d cut your throat for a dollar.

Fiddy Cent and these other clowns (OFWGKTA etc) openly preach horrible attitudes to homosexuality and they are continuously given platform to do this. (Rolling Stone Magazine etc)
    Why is this allowed happen?
    Forty years ago African Americans were tormented in America, and racist is still strong.
    But with these bunch of fascists fukcers, it’s no problem.

The sooner people wise up to these complete cnuts the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

I agree with you that modern mainstream hip hop is absolute garbage of the highest order. 'Artists' like Nicki Minaj, Rick Ross, Drake, Lil Wayne, etc should be shipped to a desert island and left there for their crimes against hip hop.
    oldscoil wrote: »
    Fiddy Cent and these other clowns (OFWGKTA etc) openly preach horrible attitudes to homosexuality and they are continuously given platform to do this. (Rolling Stone Magazine etc)

50's a dick no doubt but didn't OFWGKTA's Frank Ocean become the first ever artist of this genre to admit to being openly gay?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,926 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Modern mainstream hip hop is horrible horrible music sang by complete scumbags.

Fyp

I liked the old internet dial-up noise

That's not entirely true. Jay Z and Kanye West, among loads of other high profile rappers, have openly shown their support for Frank Ocean, the first openly gay rapper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭oldscoil

That's not entirely true. Jay Z and Kanye West, among loads of other high profile rappers, have openly shown their support for Frank Ocean, the first openly gay rapper.

They have supported him, and even that bunch of demented cretansOdd Future, supported him as an individual,but their attitudes to homosexuality is pretty clear.

http://globalgrind.com/music/hip-hops-history-homophobia-list-videos

Despite being supportive of the gay community, Kanye West dropped a few bars that could be considered homophobic on Jay-Z's 2009 "Run This Town."
    Kanye spit:
    "It's crazy how you can go from being Joe Blow
    To everybody on your dick, no homo"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 BusyMum12

I think certain social welfare payments should be cut and others axed completely.

*Runs*

They have supported him, and even that bunch of demented cretansOdd Future, supported him as an individual,but their attitudes to homosexuality is pretty clear.

http://globalgrind.com/music/hip-hops-history-homophobia-list-videos

Despite being supportive of the gay community, Kanye West dropped a few bars that could be considered homophobic on Jay-Z's 2009 "Run This Town."
    Kanye spit:
    "It's crazy how you can go from being Joe Blow
    To everybody on your dick, no homo"
    That's an interesting article and I'm aware of that rap/hip-hop still is largely homophobic but there seems to be some progress being made to address it. It might be slow, but it's at least going in the right direction in comparison to how homophobic it used to be in the past.

Fact of the matter is, being gay is not always easy, but being black and gay is much harder because of the stereotypical pressures "to be a man" in the black community.

I knew about that part in Run This Town, and it doesn't offend me. You can't exactly throw down on Kanye for his remarks in 2009 when he made his support of Ocean public in 2012, because attitudes can change. Obviously I'm not saying his past actions are admirable either.
    If someone of a high profile in the music industry comes out and it changes how people view homosexuality as a whole, and tackles the stigma, then I don't think what they said in the past isn't as important because what matters is how they view it now. To change a negative mind set is always a pretty strong thing to do.

I think for the most part, the rap/hip-hop industry is largely homophobic, I'll agree, but if there's a change happening and things are improving then I think that should be acknowledged and praised.

You made the point that they support him alone, but Jay Z has spoken about this topic in general about the fact that by sharing his "secret", Ocean made a positive contribution to humanity.
    After Ocean came out, rapper Jay-Z wrote a moving essay to the young singer thanking him for coming out. He praised Ocean for sharing “one of the most intimate things that ever happened to you – falling in love with someone who wasn’t brave enough to love you back.” The rapper said that by sharing his “secret,” Ocean made a positive contribution to humanity. But the rapper didn’t stop there. He also acknowledged how Ocean’s racial and regional background made his decision to come out all the more special in comparison to the coming out of a public figure such as CNN anchor Anderson Cooper, who announced that he was gay came out just before Ocean made his disclosure. Jay-Z wrote: “You are a young Black man from New Orleans who fled your still struggling city. You didn’t arrive in Los Angeles with generational wealth and privilege, only the beautiful lyrics and melodies that danced through you and your dream of making it in a music industry whose sand castles were crumbling.”

So I think credit should be given where it's due when efforts to abolish homophobia are being made, and people are becoming aware of the issue first hand, and are changing their negative attitudes towards it.
    It might not be quick progress, but it's progress nonetheless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 103 ✭✭Jan Hus

BusyMum12 wrote: »
    I think certain social welfare payments should be cut and others axed completely.

*Runs*
    Well I don't. Social welfare stimulates the economy and probably is the only reason we are not back in 1932

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

I think College Fee's should be Re-introduced for Family's that can afford them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Real Life

Why is this allowed happen?
    ofwgkta have gay members in the band

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

BusyMum12 wrote: »

*Runs*

I don't think that's as unpopular as you think-I certainly agree with you and think a lot of the supplementary benefits should be cut too

Every child has 2 parents and unless one of them is dead, they should pay for their children - that'd be the first one I'd cut

Second - for the long term unemployed..just cut, cut cut!!

and people should be made earn their dole by contributing to their community

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Fat ginger chicks are sexy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

john47832 wrote: »
    Boards.ie moderators are overpaid

do they get paid much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Real Life

nocoverart wrote: »
    Fat ginger chicks are sexy!

i agree with the bolded part

Jan Hus wrote: »
    Well I don't. Social welfare stimulates the economy and probably is the only reason we are not back in 1932

Social welfare prevents time travel?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Jan Hus wrote: »

social welfare stimulates the economy as much as cilla black stimulates human rights.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

pmcmahon wrote: »
    social welfare stimulates the economy as much as cilla black stimulates human rights.

Well if they stop having money to spend, its not going to help the economy, is it?

do they get paid much?
    30 per hour for standard mod. And anything up to 100 per hour for cat mod

Overpaid?

Unpopular opinion: Adults in Africa or Any other part of the world who live in poverty and have children are the most selfish people on Earth. Why in the name of Christ do they breed in such conditions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Unpopular opinion: Adults in Africa or Any other part of the world who live in poverty and have children are the most selfish people on Earth. Why in the name of Christ do they breed in such conditions?

Agree.

Why can't they be sent out a few containers full of Johnny bags? Those poor people, living in sweltering heat, with nothing to eat.

My unpopular opinion for today.........
    Fellas over the age of 40 who wear jeans are ridiculous looking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

You shouldn't be mean to ugly people. I'm fairly ugly and it can be quite tough out there been judged and treated a certain way because of the way you look. This is an unpopular opinion because admit it or not most people give the ugly ones a hard time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Furious_George

I have the unpopular opinion that people in this forum dont need to mention the bloody bondholders on every fcuking thread in ah for the last two fcuking years.....and before anyone points out my join date i have voluntarily quit boards about 4 times in lst 4 years in anger at the stupidity displayed by the likes of the people who keep mentioning the baxtardn bondholders. Aaaaaaaaaaarrrrrggggh we know it is a **** situation but it has nothing to do with baxtardn threads on the price custard creams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

nocoverart wrote: »
    You shouldn't be mean to ugly people. I'm fairly ugly and it can be quite tough out there been judged and treated a certain way because of the way you look. This is an unpopular opinion because admit it or not most people give the ugly ones a hard time

That makes me sad :(
    -That you think of yourself as an ugly person.
    It's all subjective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

Well your lucky to live in an enviroment where education has taught you important facts, most people in poverty do not have that luxury and as much as it is poverty to you and i it is a way of life for them.

Not so long ago the world had that image of Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

They are randy bastards with no contraception. The men find it difficult to pull out in time.

That makes me sad :(
    -That you think of yourself as an ugly person.
    It's all subjective.
    Unpopular Opinion: Ugliness is not actually subjective, its like pregnancy, either you are or you arent based on known scientific rules of physical features...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Unpopular Opinion: Ugliness is not actually subjective, its like pregnancy, either you are or you arent based on known scientific rules of physical features...

Scientific research has shown that we are more attracted to symmetrical faces that fit neatly into the golden ratio but that doesn't take into account personal preferences or our relationship to the person. So someone I think is beautiful could look like a cow to you and vice versa.

Scientific research has shown that we are more attracted to symmetrical faces that fit neatly into the golden ratio but that doesn't take into account personal preferences or our relationship to the person. So someone I think is beautiful could look like a cow to you and vice versa.
    Personal preferences or relationship to the person just allow us to overlook ones ugliness, they do not make that person any more beautiful...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Personal preferences or relationship to the person just allow us to overlook ones ugliness, they do not make that person any more beautiful...

But I'm going to place my personal preferences over objective correlates of beauty so it doesn't really bother me whether science deems me and my wife ugly or beautiful. We both find each other attractive and that's the important thing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

MJ23 wrote: »
    My unpopular opinion for today.........
    Fellas over the age of 40 who wear jeans are ridiculous looking.

In that case, I'm ridiculous looking & proud :D

Also known to wear bandanas, sandals, loud shirts when the mood suits... who want's to grow old gracefully, anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

You got any tie dye in there old hippy? I'm picturing some sort of gerry garcia type bad ass mother-fúcker!:D

I think College Fee's should be Re-introduced for Family's that can afford them

A small tax on unnecessary apostrophes would probably cover most of the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

CopperFaceJacks is the worst nightclub in Europe

You got any tie dye in there old hippy? I'm picturing some sort of gerry garcia type bad ass mother-fúcker!:D

LOL! The only tie dyes I had were ones I actually made as a kid! Long gone. I did own a "Blues for Allah" T shirt around 20 years back :D

iDave wrote: »
    CopperFaceJacks is the worst nightclub in Europe

I remember when it used to be a hot bed of lust and booze

• Advertisement

billybudd wrote: »
    Well your lucky to live in an enviroment where education has taught you important facts, most people in poverty do not have that luxury and as much as it is poverty to you and i it is a way of life for them.

Not so long ago the world had that image of Ireland.

Important facts like Sex = Baby? It's not rocket science like.
    I know it's a way of life for them but if I was in their position there's no way I'd make it a way of life for someone else. To have a child in such complete and utter poverty is selfish.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement