Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unpopular Opinions.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Important facts like Sex = Baby? It's not rocket science like.
    I know it's a way of life for them but if I was in their position there's no way I'd make it a way of life for someone else. To have a child in such complete and utter poverty is selfish.

Put yourself in their shoes and tell them "no sex for the rest of your lives unless you want to chance having a baby".

I'd say your hand would get boring fairly quickly and you'd have a litter of children around you soon enough :P

Course the "up the bum, no harm done" rule would do fecking wonders out there though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

1ZRed wrote: »
    Put yourself in their shoes and tell them "no sex for the rest of your lives unless you want to chance having a baby".

I'd say your hand would get boring fairly quickly and you'd have a litter of children around you soon enough :P

Course the "up the bum, no harm done" rule would do fecking wonders out there though!

There's loads of things you can do without penetrative sex. I'd gladly give up sex if it meant my future kids weren't going to starve to death as I looked on helplessly in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

There's loads of things you can do without penetrative sex. I'd gladly give up sex if it meant my future kids weren't going to starve to death as I looked on helplessly in fairness.

When you're lying there with a warm body beside you you're not going to be picturing some saucer eyed urchin with holes in their clothes and an empty belly. At least I hope not.

Shryke wrote: »
    When you're lying there with a warm body beside you you're not going to be picturing some saucer eyed urchin with holes in their clothes and an empty belly. At least I hope not.

Well they should imo. Cause that's what they're going to be left with. Sex isn't worth that much suffering at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

The Godfather films are boring and over-rated

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Well they should imo. Cause that's what they're going to be left with. Sex isn't worth that much suffering at all.

But raping the babies cures AIDS

You'd want to give it up altogether if you had anal as your sole substitute. Don't know how that slipped my mind considering, but it would be a HIV disaster zone with no protection used.

It would still be very difficult to get somebody to think past that. Your hormones are very strong things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

We have seen historically and all across the world, birth rates and populations are in correlation with access to education (particularly for women), and wealth, prosperity and industrialisation. Birth rates drop when there is education and industrialisation, which can be seen in the UK, US, and even here in Ireland. High birth rates are a symptom of poverty. It's human nature and pretty instinctive really - have more children because of the mortality rate, and have a better chance of producing a child which will be a genetic improvement and maybe they will be able to do the kind of work that will bring more income into the household. Also, more children means more hands to help out. We don't think of this because we live in the developed world and we don't rely so much on our own farming and such to survive, we just walk down to the shop and buy whatever we need.

And this isn't even getting into the rape crisis in parts of Africa.

Looking at it from the perspective of the educated, prosperous developed world and saying 'oh, just stop having children will you?' is not really seeing it at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Kungfu

Language schools that have a rented office space hardly bigger than your average living room but a list of foreign students longer than your arm. I reckon they accept the enrolment and lessons fees and churn out the certs to foreign "students" here on study only visas but actually working illegally. Another thing is those Madras (not sure if that is correct spelling?) the Muslim "schools" that you never see any kids going in or out of and you never see the door open. Al Qaeda meeting houses?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Kungfu

Nothing to do with what I just said but has anyone noticed the number of cars you see going around at night with no lights on? Is the recession so bad that they can't afford light bulbs?

• Advertisement

We have seen historically and all across the world, birth rates and populations are in correlation with access to education (particularly for women), and wealth, prosperity and industrialisation. Birth rates drop when there is education and industrialisation, which can be seen in the UK, US, and even here in Ireland. High birth rates are a symptom of poverty. It's human nature and pretty instinctive really - have more children because of the mortality rate, and have a better chance of producing a child which will be a genetic improvement and maybe they will be able to do the kind of work that will bring more income into the household. Also, more children means more hands to help out. We don't think of this because we live in the developed world and we don't rely so much on our own farming and such to survive, we just walk down to the shop and buy whatever we need.

And this isn't even getting into the rape crisis in parts of Africa.

Looking at it from the perspective of the educated, prosperous developed world and saying 'oh, just stop having children will you?' is not really seeing it at all.

Help them do what? If there was anything to hunt or grow they wouldn't be starving. And if you're having kids so that they'll walk 13 miles to a well everyday for water and back, then that's selfish. I learned in Junior Cert geography that they have lots of kids as a kind of 'insurance policy,'
    to look after them when they old; also selfish.

I know it's not as easy as saying 'stop having kids.' But do they have to have so many? And I know the thing about less education = more kids but it seems like a cop out excuse imo. And I know they're not to blame for their own misfortune but it just seems ridiculous to me to keep having kids in such horrible conditions. I just can't grasp it and I suppose I never will :p

Boombastic wrote: »
    But raping the babies cures AIDS

Surprised you didn't get an infraction for that.

Laughed anyway :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 22 seamie87

Of the ones I'm allowed express.

I wouldn't feed fizzy drinks to a pig.
    I am not a gaelgoir but I think that if Ireland had maintained the Irish language it would be a better place.
    I like and get on quite well with french people.
    I don't like fatwomen, and if we're being honest very few people do.
    I am a culchie and I prefer southside dubs to northside dubs.

seamie87 wrote: »

I am not a gaelgoir but I think that if Ireland had maintained the Irish language it would be a better place.

I'm a northsider and I prefer the majority of southsiders to the majority of northsiders too.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭KenSwee

I much prefer this..

To this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

KenSwee wrote: »
    I much prefer this..

To this

I don't know who those ladies are - one has a distinctly Traveller quality going on, the other looks like an exotic dancer aboard a space barge of some sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,926 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Yamanoto wrote: »
    I don't know who those ladies are - one has a distinctly Traveller quality going on, the other looks like an exotic dancer aboard a space barge of some sort.

Both pics are of Christina Aguilera

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

do you mean fat women, or are fatwomen like a group of rotund female superheroes? like a bunch of middle aged women in weightwatchers, but who watches the fatwomen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Help them do what? If there was anything to hunt or grow they wouldn't be starving. And if you're having kids so that they'll walk 13 miles to a well everyday for water and back, then that's selfish. I learned in Junior Cert geography that they have lots of kids as a kind of 'insurance policy,'

I know it's not as easy as saying 'stop having kids.' But do they have to have so many? And I know the thing about less education = more kids but it seems like a cop out excuse imo. And I know they're not to blame for their own misfortune but it just seems ridiculous to me to keep having kids in such horrible conditions. I just can't grasp it and I suppose I never will :p

How is it a cop-out excuse? Women are uneducated about their bodies in these countries and have no knowledge of birth control options, much less access to them. Often it's not just a case of refusing to have sex either, especially in countries where violence against women is so prevalent and gender equality is pretty much non-existent. There are reasons why it happens, and it's happened pretty much every where across all cultures at some point or another. The main problem is that African economies are just not growing fast enough, and if they do start to improve, the fertility rates will drop. We've seen it happen before.

It's probably worth noting too that a lot of African countries are not constantly suffering from drought and famine all year round every year. It is possible to harvest the earth. Also, a lot of these food shortages are being exacerbated by conflict. So maybe what they really need to do is put down the fcuking guns?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Whenever someone complains about "liberals" I imagine them speaking in the shrillest West of Ireland accent imaginable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

When somebody complains about conservatives i usually expect them to have an annoying US/UK hybrid type of Irish accent

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

kupus wrote: »
    When somebody complains about conservatives i usually expect them to have an annoying US/UK hybrid type of Irish accent

Tbf, one of the parents is American & I have lived in the UK for the past 12 or 13 years. What's great here (or in London, at any rate) is that nobody gives a damn about your accent :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

old hippy wrote: »
    Tbf, one of the parents is American & I have lived in the UK for the past 12 or 13 years. What's great here (or in London, at any rate) is that nobody gives a damn about your accent :D

Hmm, funnily when i lived in London I was turned down for a promotion on account of the fact that i was "too northern". Had i been "too jamaican" or "too french" it would have been classed as racist, but not because I was from the north of England.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

summerskin wrote: »
    Hmm, funnily when i lived in London I was turned down for a promotion on account of the fact that i was "too northern". Had i been "too jamaican" or "too french" it would have been classed as racist, but not because I was from the north of England.

It's certainly discrimination. Admittedly, there was this one time I applied for an on air gig & the chap I spoke with told me his boss preferred Southern English accents as opposed to my own brand of radio speak.

Ironically, he was a Canadian :D

Unpopular opinion:

Africans, why don't you build your villages closer to the well? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Unpopular opinion:

I said the same to someone before, but they told me there's all sorts of gang problems and politics between tribes or something that prevents that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

KenSwee wrote: »
    I much prefer this..

To this

Less photoshop?

I said the same to someone before, but they told me there's all sorts of gang problems and politics between tribes or something that prevents that.

This might be something that I'm not supposed to be saying, but I have a freind who went out there doing voluntary work. And while the volunteers would be digging the african men would sit around laughing and shouting stuff like "are you his woman" to the fella who would be in the thick of it.
    It came out of them thinking that digging wells and such was womans work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

This might be something that I'm not supposed to be saying, but I have a freind who went out there doing voluntary work. And while the volunteers would be digging the african men would sit around laughing and shouting stuff like "are you his woman" to the fella who would be in the thick of it.
    It came out of them thinking that digging wells and such was womans work.

Did your friend previously work for the corporation?

• Advertisement

john47832 wrote: »

No.

No.

I was thinking the relationship between the shovel and the digger may have been inherited, and correctly observed by our african friends...

Unpopular opinion:

Or dig their own one :L I always wondered that too :L

All grants and charity money should be stopped going into africa,
    the only people who get it are the warlords, who then flog it off for double the price to the poorest, same with medicine.

the only people who get it are the warlords, who then flog it off for double the price to the poorest, same with medicine.
    Are you saying theyre subcontracting the charity work?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Ethiopia
    population mid 80s - time of BandAid and Bob Geldof - 30 million
    Today - 90 million

Keep sending the money!

• Advertisement

Are you saying theyre subcontracting the charity work?

Yes John that is what Im saying, They have to pay off gangsters in whatever disaster hit area they happen to be in:
    http://www.trust.org/alertnet/blogs/alertnet-news-blog/is-the-media-getting-tougher-on-corruption-in-aid/

Also heard from word of mouth but Im sure you wont believe that nor would I expect you to.

The only thing that can help Africa is education not charity, but since too many people and too many organizations make a lot of money out of charity that wont happen.
    There is a great saying "give a man a fish and he is hungry a day later. Teach him to fish and he is set for life."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Important facts like Sex = Baby? It's not rocket science like.
    I know it's a way of life for them but if I was in their position there's no way I'd make it a way of life for someone else. To have a child in such complete and utter poverty is selfish.
    Well you're not in their situation so you haven't a clue really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

The wire is better that the sopranos

The wire is better that the sopranos

Now that's hardly an fringe opinion.

Lots of people have good judgement.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Everything being done with Africa only makes the place worse. Donating clothes was a big thing, but all that did was destroy local clothes industries in different regions destroying what economy was there.

The pain during child birth is vastly overrated...

The pain during child birth is vastly overrated...

Good to know the sex change went well Jane, John! :D

Madam_X wrote: »
    Well you're not in their situation so you haven't a clue really.

Doesn't matter whether I'm in their situation or not, I can still have and opinion on it.

Now that's hardly an fringe opinion.

Lots of people have good judgement.

Not necessarily a fringe opinion. I would have thought it was a minority opinion though.

Good to know the sex change went well Jane, John! :D

Tis surely true, I mean if it was really that painful then they wouldnt go through it...

Tis surely true, I mean if it was really that painful then they wouldnt go through it...

Please tell me you're just trying to get a reaction!

Please tell me you're just trying to get a reaction!

Unpopular opinions usually do get some kind of reaction, are you in the popular opinion camp in this instance?

Unpopular opinions usually do get some kind of reaction, are you in the popular opinion camp in this instance?

Whether opinions get a reaction or not is not the point.
    There is posting a genuine opinion and happening to get a reaction, and there is posting an opinion you don't really hold just to get a reaction.
    The latter is what I was referring to.

If that was an indirect question then the answer is yes, I do hold this opinion, unpopular as it is...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement