Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unpopular Opinions.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Cill94

If you're very overweight, exercise is a lot more tough.

As for the junk food thing, oh man, you don't understand eating disorders, do you?

Again, the excuses.

Yes it's a lot more tough if you're overweight, that doesn't mean that it's impossible. If you're really committed to losing the weight then you'll be willing to go through some pain and discomfort. I used to be very out of shape too and I know others who were and we would all now agree that we just made excuses about it being hard, not being naturally athletic etc. Just take up a sport. Weightlifting is great for bigger guys/gals.

Don't understand which part: that they don't have the willpower to not buy the junk food? Or that if they really get a craving they will go out to Mc Donalds or order something in? I understand that, but I also think that a large extent of that is people being psychologically weak and falling back on it being a medical condition like anyone with an addiction does. There is still responsibility involved on the part of that person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

Cill94 wrote: »
    Again, the excuses.

Yes it's a lot more tough if you're overweight, that doesn't mean that it's impossible. If you're really committed to losing the weight then you'll be willing to go through some pain and discomfort. I used to be very out of shape too and I know others who were and we would all now agree that we just made excuses about it being hard, not being naturally athletic etc. Just take up a sport. Weightlifting is great for bigger guys/gals.

Don't understand which part: that they don't have the willpower to not buy the junk food? Or that if they really get a craving they will go out to Mc Donalds or order something in? I understand that, but I also think that a large extent of that is people being psychologically weak and falling back on it being a medical condition like anyone with an addiction does. There is still responsibility involved on the part of that person.

I'm not overweight and I exercise, so no excuses here. Who would I be excusing exactly? I am a former bulimic though.

The push to buy food to binge on was a compulsion for me, it didn't matter how later it was at night, if I wanted to binge, I would go out and find the food. I would later purge it. Binge-eating disorder is like this, but without the purging bit. It's a difficult mindset to extricate oneself from, it's almost obsessive-compulsive. It's hard to understand if you don't suffer from it. It's easy to understand why someone might get caught up in the binging side but pass on the purging bit. Making yourself throw up is unpleasant, as I well know, so many wouldn't be able to make themselves do it. You won't do enough exercise in a day to work off this massive excess of calories. And anorexia would be a no go for many people. I will always have bulimic tendencies, they are very hard to fight, but I'm coping well after receiving help.

Obviously there are overweight people who have no such malady but I'm convinced it's more common than people think.

And "psychologically weak"? Yeah, I think that's what they used to say about sufferers of depression. For fuuuuuck's sake.

I'm not overweight and I exercise, so no excuses here. Who would I be excusing exactly? I am a former bulimic though.

The push to buy food to binge on was a compulsion for me, it didn't matter how later it was at night, if I wanted to binge, I would go out and find the food. I would later purge it. Binge-eating disorder is like this, but without the purging bit. It's a difficult mindset to extricate oneself from, it's almost obsessive-compulsive. It's hard to understand if you don't suffer from it. It's easy to understand why someone might get caught up in the binging side but pass on the purging bit. Making yourself throw up is unpleasant, as I well know, so many wouldn't be able to make themselves do it. You won't do enough exercise in a day to work off this massive excess of calories. And anorexia would be a no go for many people. I will always have bulimic tendencies, they are very hard to fight, but I'm coping well after receiving help.

Obviously there are overweight people who have no such malady but I'm convinced it's more common than people think.

And "psychologically weak"? Yeah, I think that's what they used to say about sufferers of depression. For fuuuuuck's sake.

I never said you were making excuses for yourself, but you are for other people.

Fair enough it must be very tough to just say no to food if it's a mental compulsion you have. I still believe it can be overcome, as your experience with bulimia suggests.

Anyway, my original post was referring more to the vast majority of people who are fat for reasons other than because of mental disorders. I think the kind of person you're talking about is in the minority.

Anyway, my original post was referring more to the vast majority of people who are fat for reasons other than because of mental disorders. I think the kind of person you're talking about is in the minority.

Equating food addiction to other addictions is troublesome, as food is someone we need so we can't excise it from our lives.

I don't know if the numbers would be that insignificant. If someone is mindlessly stuffing themselves, something HAS to be up. Addiction is very likely too, as sugar is very addictive, but like I said, it's trickier to deal with than other addictions.

If someone is mindlessly stuffing themselves, something HAS to be up.

A lot of the foods that people gorge themselves on have MSG in them. I would think that is a big culprit for food addiction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

1ZRed wrote: »
    Brad Pitt's Chanel ad shows off his raw acting ability, and it also shows off what a useless actor he is.

Overrated actor/man

Pitt is a great actor, it'd be easy for him to take light romcom roles but he doesnt, The Assasination Of Jesse James? Tree Of Life? Fight Club? all excellent performances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tom_Cruise

john47832 wrote: »
    You didnt rate him in Meet Joe Black?

I thought he played death very well

Meet Joe Black consists of watching Brad Pitt acting like a retard who escaped from an asylum, especially the part where he discovers peanut butter.

A lot of the foods that people gorge themselves on have MSG in them. I would think that is a big culprit for food addiction.

I'd put sugar up there with it in the additiveness stakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

Tom_Cruise wrote: »
    Meet Joe Black consists of watching Brad Pitt acting like a retard who escaped from an asylum, especially the part where he discovers peanut butter.

He was playing death personified - impossible to say he didnt play it perfectly

• Registered Users Posts: 35 OisinS94

Black people are getting more and more sensitive.

Also I believe communism is better than democracy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

OisinS94 wrote: »
    Black people are getting more and more sensitive.

Also I believe communism is better than democracy.

Do you go around pinching black people and seeing how much it hurts, comparing your notes year by year?

Do you go around pinching black people and seeing how much it hurts, comparing your notes year by year?

Either that or he has just noticed the sales increase in mousturizing products amongst African Americans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

And I would take from the names you mentioned, but Gaye for instance contributed to his output, the most recognised song he himself formalised was Sexual Healing.

This is probably my naked nostalgia but these acts were the real thing, they were part of the business. It's quite difficult to describe what is currently happening in the industry, as far as I'm concerned they've sailed it down the river with ugly personalities and attitude. To bring it back to Rihanna, she is a a bad tempered broad with limited talent, she doesn't deserve it....It used to mean something to have a number one.

My mistake on Gaye.

Totally agree about Rihanna. I find her astronomical success baffling. Like you say, a horrible personality and very limited talent. But then this seems to be the trend across the board in mainstream music, for the most part. While there is great music being made today and loads of great artists out there, the most successful popstars are truly awful people, as far as I can see. When you consider the biggest personalities in music of the past - Morrissey, Robert Smith, Kurt Cobain, Janis Joplin, Billie Holiday and so on, these are artists that people can actually identify with. When you compare them to the likes of Rihanna or Katy Perry or Chris Brown and the likes, it's no wonder that kids are so f*cked up these days. They have no one to relate to. Not in the mainstream anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 BroBeans353

I'm kind of glad Kurt Cobain died because if that never happened Dave Grohl probably would have never made the Foo Fighters and instead would have continued being the drummer of an extremely average rock band (Bar two or three good songs)

I'm kind of glad Kurt Cobain died because if that never happened Dave Grohl probably would have never made the Foo Fighters and instead would have continued being the drummer of an extremely average rock band (Bar two or three good songs)

If Nirvana are average, that must make the Foo Fighters the absolute dregs.

Nirvana > Foo Fighters

And it's not even close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

If Nirvana are average, that must make the Foo Fighters the absolute dregs.

Nirvana > Foo Fighters

And it's not even close.

bullsh!t... Nirvana are one of the most overrated bands ever imo. Nothing more than above average.

Pearljam >>>>> Nirvana.

Couldn't call myself a huge fan of either band, but Nirvana are definitely better, and the fact that Dave Grohl now gets to be the frontman of his own band isn't really a good reason to be glad that someone is dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

I reckon Foo Fighters would've happened regardless.

If Kurt hadn't checked out in such an OTT fashion I'm pretty sure he would've just disbanded Nirvana anyway and gone and played guitar with Hole or someone else. Leaving Dave to do his own thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Very unfair assessment. They were a band with only 3 studio albums (Incesticide being a B side album) but yet they made a long lasting impression on the music scene. They reinvigorated the industry at the time in America and were the bridge between the dire 80s and 90s.

Magill wrote: »
    bullsh!t... Nirvana are one of the most overrated bands ever imo. Nothing more than above average.

Pearljam >>>>> Nirvana.

Well, it's all subjective so, no, it's not bullshít. I'm not a huge fan of Nirvana but I don't think they were overrated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Real Life

Magill wrote: »

Pearljam >>>>> Nirvana.

but he never said nirvana were better than pearl jam, just better than foo fighters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 778 ✭✭✭jessiejam

If that was an indirect question then the answer is yes, I do hold this opinion, unpopular as it is...

And might I ask how in the name of fuk do you have any idea how painful childbirth is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Real Life wrote: »
    but he never said nirvana were better than pearl jam, just better than foo fighters.

I know, i was just being a tit.

Nirvana are crap
    Foo Fighters are crap
    Pearl Jam are crap

jessiejam wrote: »
    And might I ask how in the name of fuk do you have any idea how painful childbirth is?

Sorry missus, that was about 10 pages back and I'm afraid you might be a little too uptight for this conversation so I must abstain...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Nirvana are crap
    Foo Fighters are crap
    Pearl Jam are crap

No.

No.

Tis true...

1D rule :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Tis true...

1 Direction is it?!
    Yeah, Niall Horahan is so dreamy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Setting a rule that employees must have a doctors cert for a sick day will not drive down absenteeism, it will drive it up

People spent 50 euro or so with the doctor and for that kind of money they will take off another day

Some rules have to be set by a business but a cert for one day does not work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

jessiejam wrote: »

He doesn't. He's just posting an unpopular and idiotic opinion. He's almost certainly never even attended a live birth, barring his own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

In fairness, 1D aren't awful. I like that song 'you don't know you're beautiful.' such a tune :L

Pherekydes wrote: »
    He doesn't. He's just posting an unpopular and idiotic opinion. He's almost certainly never even attended a live birth, barring his own.

:rolleyes:

idiotic is subjective Pher - Did you go to mass this morning?

:rolleyes:

idiotic is subjective Pher - Did you go to mass this morning?

And why would I go to mass, John?

And a man having an opinion about the pain of childbirth is, in my opinion, idiotic.

And why would I go to mass, John?

I'm thinking you might need to enrich on your spiritual enlightenment, by doing so you may even notice that God gave man a sense of humour
    And a man having an opinion about the pain of childbirth is, in my opinion, idiotic.

Everything is idiotic my friend... A broad form of intelligence is required to see this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 778 ✭✭✭jessiejam

I'm thinking you might need to enrich on your spiritual enlightenment, by doing so you may even notice that God gave man a sense of humour

Everything is idiotic my friend... A broad form of intelligence is required to see this

Your original post is idiotic. Its far from a broad form of intelligence you have posting things that you have no idea about, that is unless you remember your own birth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭cometogether

Nirvana are crap
    Foo Fighters are crap
    Pearl Jam are crap

Correct

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭cometogether

Tis true...

The entire planet would be better off with One Direction's complete and utter demise

Haven't you read the bible? God is a cruel, xenophobic misogynist, with absolutely zero sense of humour.

His slaughter of the innocents is particulary illustrative.

Haven't you read the bible? God is a cruel, xenophobic misogynist, with absolutely zero sense of humour.

I didnt say he had one himself..

The good fellows on the Christianity forum would be only too helpful to explain this...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

I think raising kids to believe that 9/11 was an inside job by the US government, or that the moon landing was faked, is a form of child abuse.

I also think women & men should have to undergo an evaluation before allowed to have kids. The evaluation would primarily be psychological. If they fail the child should be terminated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Real Life

and to top it all off hes a fictional character

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Tis true...

I find it ironic that "1D" is short for both One Direction and 1-Dimensional - the latter perfectly sums up their "music".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

Important facts like Sex = Baby? It's not rocket science like.
    I know it's a way of life for them but if I was in their position there's no way I'd make it a way of life for someone else. To have a child in such complete and utter poverty is selfish.

Educated people have more of a chance at rational thought, your looking at this through western eyes and all the benefits that this entails, also religious beliefs have a huge factor in unprotected sex leading to child birth and also HIV and other such things and when your relying on instincts and not education then you are entering murky waters.

And also i doubt as hard as you may try that you can imagine what its like to be in their position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Tis true...

One direction.

The reason we should have killed Justin Bieber before he laid eggs

[-0-] wrote: »
    I think raising kids to believe that 9/11 was an inside job by the US government, or that the moon landing was faked, is a form of child abuse.

It's doing them a disservice maybe by giving them false information, but child abuse? That seems a bit much. In fairness, all it takes is for the kids to grow up and read a book or watch a documentary or something and see that the moon landing wasn't faked. I would consider it more along the lines of child abuse to raise a child to be racist or Anti-Semitic or some such, like those children on the Louis Theroux documentary about Neo-Nazis - a woman was raising her children as white supremacists and wanted to keep them out of school for as long as possible so she could continue teaching them that apartheid was instigated by black people, and other such "facts". That, to me, is more like child abuse. Racist views are much harder to shake if they've been built into you from day one, and they're also far more dangerous. How is believing the moon landing was faked going to harm anyone? All it does is make the person who believes it look like an idiot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭PC CDROM

krudler wrote: »
    Pitt is a great actor, it'd be easy for him to take light romcom roles but he doesnt, The Assasination Of Jesse James? Tree Of Life? Fight Club? all excellent performances.

He was great in 12 Monkeys as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

X factor is the biggest amount of injurious nonsense I've ever seen, even worse than bieber

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    X factor is the biggest amount of injurious nonsense I've ever seen, even worse than bieber

Probably not an unpopular one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

I also think women & men should have to undergo an evaluation before allowed to have kids. The evaluation would primarily be psychological. If they fail the child should be terminated.

Entering your kids into a beauty pageant is worse.

Who gets to decide who has sex and who doesnt?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

1ZRed wrote: »
    One direction.

The reason we should have killed Justin Bieber before he laid eggs

Fúck you 1ZRED, i've just spit water all over my monitor right in front of my boss from laughing at this!
    I think raising kids to believe that 9/11 was an inside job by the US government, or that the moon landing was faked, is a form of child abuse..

Bringing them up to believe that an invisible carpenter zombie monitors not only their deeds but even their thoughts and will send them to a furnace for all eternity for doing any one of a quite large list of arbitrary, and often times, quite natural and healthy things, is far worse in my opinion!

Presumably so that people who think things like this are filtered out of the gene pool!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement