Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unpopular Opinions.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

PC CDROM wrote: »
    He was great in 12 Monkeys as well

Even if he was channeling Dennis Hopper's turn in Apocalypse Now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Cill94 wrote: »
    A lot of the foods that people gorge themselves on have MSG in them. I would think that is a big culprit for food addiction.
    I don't think you know what MSG actually is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Jimoslimos wrote: »

She probably does. It's used as a flavour enhancer and seems to be one of these causes that alternative medical practitioners rally behind without any real evidence to support their claims, which is a total surprise.

The argument online seems to be that MSG is used to fatten up rats for obesity trials, therefore it must be having the same effect on us humans. The fact that 20 mg of MSG to every 100mg of food is used on the rats is never mentioned which is in absolutely no way comparable to amount consumed by humans on a daily basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

Not a fan of Chris Rock at all. Some of his material is pretty good, but his delivery really puts me off. Not a big fan of the shouty, preacher-like style. I could never sit through a full show of that.

For some reason, Bill Burr doesn't really do anything for me. I've laughed a few times, but I would never pay to see him.

Louis CK and Dave Chappelle, I like some of their stuff. They're definitely two of the better ones. Chappelle's skit about celebrities from his For What It's Worth show is great. :D

Jim Norton's stand-up isn't great, in my opinion. He seems to do better on Opie and Anthony's show when he's just kicking back, having a bit of banter. His rehearsed material is not great, I don't think.

I would still prefer Dylan Moran to any of the above.

Humour is a pretty subjective thing, I guess.
    I'm buying you a pint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 103 ✭✭Jan Hus

It's doing them a disservice maybe by giving them false information, but child abuse? That seems a bit much. In fairness, all it takes is for the kids to grow up and read a book or watch a documentary or something and see that the moon landing wasn't faked. I would consider it more along the lines of child abuse to raise a child to be racist or Anti-Semitic or some such, like those children on the Louis Theroux documentary about Neo-Nazis - a woman was raising her children as white supremacists and wanted to keep them out of school for as long as possible so she could continue teaching them that apartheid was instigated by black people, and other such "facts". That, to me, is more like child abuse. Racist views are much harder to shake if they've been built into you from day one, and they're also far more dangerous. How is believing the moon landing was faked going to harm anyone? All it does is make the person who believes it look like an idiot.
    Besides, even if it is not true, instilling a dislike of the American government is doing them favour. We don't need any more American cultural imperialism over this side of the Atlantic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 103 ✭✭Jan Hus

It's doing them a disservice maybe by giving them false information, but child abuse? That seems a bit much. In fairness, all it takes is for the kids to grow up and read a book or watch a documentary or something and see that the moon landing wasn't faked. I would consider it more along the lines of child abuse to raise a child to be racist or Anti-Semitic or some such, like those children on the Louis Theroux documentary about Neo-Nazis - a woman was raising her children as white supremacists and wanted to keep them out of school for as long as possible so she could continue teaching them that apartheid was instigated by black people, and other such "facts". That, to me, is more like child abuse. Racist views are much harder to shake if they've been built into you from day one, and they're also far more dangerous. How is believing the moon landing was faked going to harm anyone? All it does is make the person who believes it look like an idiot.
    Besides, even if it is not true (which admittingly is probable), instilling a healthy dislike of the American government is doing them a favour. We don't need any more American cultural imperialism over this side of the Atlantic. Even my keyboard is part of a conspiracy to bring American bad spelling to Europe (it wanted to spell the favour above as "favor" - idiots)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Cill94

It's a flavour enhancing food additive, actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 130 ✭✭WanabeOlympian

Watching the news everyday is a waste of time. A weekly scan for 10 minutes of headlines on rte.ie is enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,908 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

I prefer when a movie is subtitled rather than dubbed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

Suas11 wrote: »
    I prefer when a movie is subtitled rather than dubbed.

Hardly an unpopular opinion, surely?

Hardly an unpopular opinion, surely?

I thought it was. Most people I know seem to dislike subtitles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

Suas11 wrote: »
    I thought it was. Most people I know seem to dislike subtitles.

Oh I know a lot of people hate subtitles but surely it's better than dubbed films where audio and video are out of sync

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,046 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I used to go into Xtravision a fair bit in the past and rent out films from the subtitled section, and the guy behind the counter would also say "you know that's subtitled" (even though it had a big SUBTITLED sticker on it.

I would say "yeah I know, and?". Once I even said ".. its ok I can read".

But I was often told by them the number of people who came back in and complained that the films were subtitled and wanted a refund! Hence why they had to put stickers on the front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

NIMAN wrote: »
    I used to go into Xtravision a fair bit in the past and rent out films from the subtitled section, and the guy behind the counter would also say "you know that's subtitled" (even though it had a big SUBTITLED sticker on it.

I would say "yeah I know, and?". Once I even said ".. its ok I can read".

But I was often told by them the number of people who came back in and complained that the films were subtitled and wanted a refund! Hence why they had to put stickers on the front.

Yeah, I used to work in Xtravision, and the amount of people that would return the dvds wanting a refund or free dvd because their dvd had been subtitled.
    Bloody idiots.
    What is the problem with subtitles?
    Some of the best movies out there have been foreign movies.
    And dubbing is just plain stupid looking - it makes serious films appear comical.

Oh I know a lot of people hate subtitles but surely it's better than dubbed films where audio and video are out of sync

I completely agree with you. Dubbed films always annoy me. However, it seems that a lot of people prefer to watched something that's dubbed rather than something that's subtitled.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Honestly if you have peripheral vision and are literate in at least a small way you shouldn't have problems with subtitles. The only excuse left against subtitled movies is blatant fear of anything foreign. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I don't get people who can't deal with subtitles. It's not that difficult to read words off a screen and follow the action at the same time. You'd swear it was some major multitasking by the way some people talk about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

If I wanted to read I'd have bought the book :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 71 ✭✭Skyfall

If you like GAA you are probably a scumbag

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Skyfall wrote: »
    If you like GAA you are probably a scumbag

Saturday night always bring out the fúcking trolls.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 71 ✭✭Skyfall

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Saturday night always bring out the fúcking trolls.

Its my opinion, its an unpopular one, isnt this a thread of "unpopular opinions"?

Sure look at your man who pulled another mans balls off with his bare hands?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Skyfall wrote: »
    Its my opinion, its an unpopular one, isnt this a thread of "unpopular opinions"?

Sure look at your man who pulled another mans balls off with his bare hands?

And that man is definitely representative of all people who like the GAA. That's a fact, you can't argue with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

john47832 wrote: »
    TRANSLATION: "I have a one track mind. :rolleyes: "

e_e wrote: »
    TRANSLATION: "I have a one track mind. :rolleyes: "

Can you back this analysis up with any kind of logic?

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭KenSwee

Yeah, I used to work in Xtravision, and the amount of people that would return the dvds wanting a refund or free dvd because their dvd had been subtitled.
    Bloody idiots.
    What is the problem with subtitles?
    Some of the best movies out there have been foreign movies.
    And dubbing is just plain stupid looking - it makes serious films appear comical.

Just off the subject I know but I have to tell you this. In Poland, they don't do subtitles or dubbing. A guy narrates all the script over the existing voice tracks.......every part of it.

In a foreign language? If you can't even read English subtitles off a screen, how are you gonna manage that?

In a foreign language? If you can't even read English subtitles off a screen, how are you gonna manage that?

The subtitles are in english, why would I be reading in a foreign language? You seem to be confused, have you put your clock back already and met yourself on the way forward?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

KenSwee wrote: »
    Just off the subject I know but I have to tell you this. In Poland, they don't do subtitles or dubbing. A guy narrates all the script over the existing voice tracks.......every part of it.

So you're saying they have to listen to female characters speaking in a man's voice? If that's true then that's fierce silly. Probably hilarious too.

The subtitles are in english, why would I be reading in a foreign language? You seem to be confused, have you put your clock back already and met yourself on the way forward?

You said that you'd rather read the book than read the subtitles. I'm saying that generally subtitles are used for films that are in foreign languages, so why would you read a foreign language book if you're not even bothered reading English subtitles?

Can't believe I had to explain that...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I support Vincent Browne's views of Israel. It's a crazy situation where a person can't criticise the state without being branded as an anti semite. The fact of the matter is that they have and continue to pose a problem in the area. We readily forget here in Ireland that Mossad used stolen Irish passports to commit a murder in Dubai, nothing was ever done about that, America told us to button it.

I'll speak about the Israelis freely and nobody will tell me any different. My main worry is that they'll spark the final great war.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

I'm not entirely comfortable with the sentiment, but I'm fully behind the fact that Vincent Browne has the right to say it without being labelled an anti-Semite.

He has not even said anything very offensive, let alone illegal.

The internet is over-rated.

You said that you'd rather read the book than read the subtitles. I'm saying that generally subtitles are used for films that are in foreign languages, so why would you read a foreign language book if you're not even bothered reading English subtitles?

But books are published in multiple languages. Why would I read a book in a foreign language, which I dont undetstand, when it is available in english?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

You take that back right now!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

I couldn't care less about people and their problems if they have nothing to do with me (ie: people i don't know and the third world).

Ireland should continue to borrow money to give to Uganda etc

Oh wait ......

You said that you'd rather read the book than read the subtitles.

You had to explain because you overlooked one crucial piece of information... Books are usually alternatives to watching films, not reading subtitles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

It's a flavour enhancing food additive, actually.
    And in what way does it contribute to 'food addiction' over say sodium chloride? Since that was your claim.
    A lot of the foods that people gorge themselves on have MSG in them. I would think that is a big culprit for food addiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

You had to explain because you overlooked one crucial piece of information... Books are usually alternatives to watching films, not reading subtitles
    But books are published in multiple languages. Why would I read a book in a foreign language, which I dont undetstand, when it is available in english?

Reading a book is an entirely different experience from watching a film, even one without subtitles.

Literature is also very English-centric: most books in any shop are written by English-speakers. There aren't so many non-English books that are translated, apart from very well-known ones like the Millennium trilogy.

All this of course is assuming that a particular foreign film is based on a non-English book that was translated into English.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

The typical short skirt and stilettos look girls wear on a weekend night is incredibly unattractive.

People who can strongly believe in a God but dismiss the possibility of life outside our solar system are small minded and naive.

• Advertisement

The typical short skirt and stilettos look girls wear on a weekend night is incredibly unattractive.

People who can strongly believe in a God but dismiss the possibility of life outside our solar system are small minded and naive.

People who can strongly believe in life outside out solar system and in stuff like parallel universes but dismiss the possibility of a God are small minded and naive?

People who can strongly believe in life outside out solar system and in stuff like parallel universes but dismiss the possibility of a God are small minded and naive?

Touche.

But many staples of Christian teachings have been proven to be false, whereas there is a very strong argument for life elsewhere in the universe. In my opinion, that isn't small minded and naive, that is being logical and rational.

I don't have the time to write a full argument, but Google this if you're interested.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

That all humans need to die soon or the entire ecosystem will be irreversibly destroyed.

"not a popular one SuperInfinity". :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭KenSwee

So you're saying they have to listen to female characters speaking in a man's voice? If that's true then that's fierce silly. Probably hilarious too.

Yes I am

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

I don't think it'll catch on

(I'm thinking 21st century Betamax)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

I don't think it'll catch on

(I'm thinking 21st century Betamax)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Cill94

And in what way does it contribute to 'food addiction' over say sodium chloride? Since that was your claim.

That wasn't my claim. I claimed that MSG makes food addictive and that it probably plays a large part in the food addiction that's becoming so prominent in society. Salt and sugar certainly play a part too.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 lidllady

Probably going to be lambasted for this but...i don't find fraiser very funny.I think the characters are likable and the storylines are usually quite interesting but i just find the jokes very predictable...am i alone in thinking this???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

lidllady wrote: »
    Probably going to be lambasted for this but...i don't find fraiser very funny.I think the characters are likable and the storylines are usually quite interesting but i just find the jokes very predictable...am i alone in thinking this???

No your not I know loads of people who don't like it, I think its hilarious. Will Ferrell is predictable, Frasier is entertainment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

Make sure the book you choose to read isn't subtitled so.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement