Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unpopular Opinions.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Is Kilkenny a city?

No its not, population is too small. Although if you say this to an actual Kilkenny person, they'll start harping on about cathedrals and tradition and high kings as the reason why

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

No its not, population is too small. Although if you say this to an actual Kilkenny person, they'll start harping on about cathedrals and tradition and high kings as the reason why

Yeah but I think there is something about a royal charter back in the time of King James or something. So legally it is.

Neeson wrote: »
    Yeah but I think there is something about a royal charter back in the time of King James or something. So legally it is.

Thats the one! I knew there was some ridiculous reason why

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Once a major town has a cathedral it gets city status. And yes I'm from Kilkenny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

It would be horrible to live anywhere in Ireland other than Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Aye, the heroin is terrible everywhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

Aye, the heroin is terrible everywhere else.

and we dont have chuggers out on the bog, sucks to be here. :(

lol, it just dawned on me that chuggers are worse than junkies....

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Duzzer

If hitler had finished his plan the world would have been a more peaceful place today

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

Why out of interest.

Dublin is the place to be the rest of ireland is basically a wasteland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Duzzer wrote: »

Dublin's a sh*thole.

Dublin's a sh*thole.

Generates the ecomomic activity needed to keep the country going. Where are you from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,048 ✭✭✭✭bnt

bgrizzley wrote: »
    lol, it just dawned on me that chuggers are worse than junkies....
    What if the Chuggers are also Junkies? Do we call them ... Juggers? Chunkies?

For the last three years, I've watched the Super Bowl game live. I've found American Football at that level to be rather interesting, a cross between Chess and a strategy board game. I'm no fan of big men in tight clothes, but the camera rarely gets close enough to bother me. :o

Ye Hypocrites, are these your pranks
    To murder men and gie God thanks?
    Desist for shame, proceed no further
    God won't accept your thanks for murder.

―Robert Burns

Generates the ecomomic activity needed to keep the country going. Where are you from?

Born and raised in Dublin and live in Galway. (not right now)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

My cunt, my choice!!

Born and raised in Dublin and live in Galway. (not right now)

So your in Spain then? Galway is alright for tourists thats about it. Subsistence economy there.

So your in Spain then?

Yep, but we shouldn't derail the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Yep, but we shouldn't derail the thread.

Did someone say hat off????

So your in Spain then? Galway is alright for tourists thats about it. Subsistence economy there.

It's still a better place to live than Dublin. Like I say, Dublin's a sh*thole. Some of the worst kinds of people I've ever encountered have been in Dublin, and I've felt safer walking around New York than I have around parts of Dublin.

• Advertisement

I live in the countryside of Dublin so have the best of both worlds. Not stuck in the bog don't have to emigrate to get the job I want. A lot of boggers make the mistake of thinking that Dublin county is one big city full of junkies. I forgive you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

I take it you've lived in all the other 25 counties at one time or another then?

I take it you've lived in all the other 25 counties at one time or another then?

I've worked for years all around the country. Not one county I haven't spent a good bit of time in. Well qualified to talk on the subject.

I live in the countryside of Dublin so have the best of both worlds. Not stuck in the bog don't have to emigrate to get the job I want. A lot of boggers make the mistake of thinking that Dublin county is one big city full of junkies. I forgive you.

A lot of Dublin people make the mistake of thinking that anywhere outside of Dublin is "the bog" and all its people are "boggers". :confused:

I've worked for years all around the country. Not one county I haven't spent a good bit of time in. Well qualified to talk on the subject.

What is it you do for a living?

What is it you do for a living?
    Your oul wan as we say in dublin. Joke! Dont worry about that. People are nice but there is nothing happening outside of Dublin.

A lot of Dublin people make the mistake of thinking that anywhere outside of Dublin is "the bog" and all its people are "boggers". :confused:

Funnily enough, it's those people who seem more insulated than the people they're denigrating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

People who live in Dublin and bang on about how everywhere else is a bog are idiots and probably haven't left the place since 1900. Absolutely everywhere in the country has nice places, shitty places and places are just kind of there, Dublin included. Sure, you got the Liffey, isn't it beautiful how it smells like every addict in the city takes a dump in it as they pass into unconsciousness. Isn't O'Connell Street fantastic, with all the people who try to walk right through you and the huge amount of scumbags milling about. Isn't Temple Bar the most amazing place, how it's almost impossible to get through because there's what seems like fifteen people crammed into every square metre. I especially love how everything costs so damn much, that's always a favourite. All that from the county of my birth and so, so much more!

Funnily enough, it's those people who seem more insulated than the people they're denigrating.

Boggers is a handy catch all for me but seriously when you go to towns outside of Dublin you really notice how some towns are controlled by a few gombeen business families and people. I use to get country people saying to me how come they can't get some one from here to do what your doing. My answer was always was because no one here does it so they have to get me in!

KKkitty wrote: »
    Once a major town has a cathedral it gets city status. And yes I'm from Kilkenny.

Letterkenny, Cavan, Monaghan and Longford have cathedrals and are major towns. Let's just stick with the king James reason.

• Advertisement

People who live in Dublin and bang on about how everywhere else is a bog are idiots and probably haven't left the place since 1900. Absolutely everywhere in the country has nice places, shitty places and places are just kind of there, Dublin included. Sure, you got the Liffey, isn't it beautiful how it smells like every addict in the city takes a dump in it as they pass into unconsciousness. Isn't O'Connell Street fantastic, with all the people who try to walk right through you and the huge amount of scumbags milling about. Isn't Temple Bar the most amazing place, how it's almost impossible to get through because there's what seems like fifteen people crammed into every square metre. I especially love how everything costs so damn much, that's always a favourite. All that from the county of my birth and so, so much more!
    Dublin has countryside too. Did the priest tell you that Dublin is one big city? He's wrong you know

There are some aspects of Dublin that are fine and I don't mind visiting to see family that are still there, but I will never live there again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 343 ✭✭Sorcha16

EDIT: Brain Freeze :)

Dublin has countryside too. Did the priest tell you that Dublin is one big city? He's wrong you know

I'm actually from Dublin, and didn't go to a Catholic school. Don't believe the hype, Duzzer, everywhere is just as bad as everywhere else.

Apart from Tipp' Town, which is the worst.

I'm actually from Dublin, and didn't go to a Catholic school. Don't believe the hype, Duzzer, everywhere is just as bad as everywhere else.

Apart from Tipp' Town, which is the worst.

So the vicar told you?

So the vicar told you?

Officially trollin'. You can't come up with any reason other than "I know where stuff is!" and vague references to things you can get in Dublin that you can't anywhere else, at all, in the entire country. Moving on.

Officially trollin'. You can't come up with any reason other than "I know where stuff is!" and vague references to things you can get in Dublin that you can't anywhere else, at all, in the entire country. Moving on.

Okay. I've worked all around the country and some of my findings are as follows;

Sligo- depressed town with about 3 pubs that do okay during the week Monday to Friday. Compare this to Dublin pubs.

Mayo- wasteland with maybe one town that does okay economically.

Leitrim-

Kerry- tourist place. With a lot of shamsters trying to be stereotypical Irish country people from Darby ogill complete with sham stories and accents.

Cork- mini Gpo and customs house. Nice tribute to Dublin city.

Waterford- all they have here now are blahs. Waterford crystal is essentially closed now. There was a day when the who's who of Waterford were glass blowers. Used to make me laugh.

Okay. I've worked all around the country and some of my findings are as follows;

Sligo- depressed town with about 3 pubs that do okay during the week Monday to Friday. Compare this to Dublin pubs.

Leitrim-

Kerry- tourist place. With a lot of shamsters trying to be stereotypical Irish country people from Darby ogill complete with sham stories and accents.

Waterford- all they have here now are blahs. Waterford crystal is essentially closed now. There was a day when the who's who of Waterford were glass blowers. Used to make me laugh.

lol, at least they had you, for a while...

bgrizzley wrote: »
    lol, at least they had you, for a while...

Ha true. I reckon I could have transformed these places with my Dublin rhetoric :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

There was a day when glass blowers were earning £2k+ a week around 1990, they singlehandedly kept the town afloat because they spent every penny they had localy. No wonder they were well known.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Letterkenny, Cavan, Monaghan and Longford have cathedrals and are major towns. Let's just stick with the king James reason.

Longford lost its city status a few Christmases ago with the burning of the cathedral. They'll get it back soon though.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭tjones64

people what describe themselves as 'libertarian' are generally disgusting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

insulated ? What with dry lining or something ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Clowns, as an O'Connor I still consider myself Irish royalty. We with Rory were the last High Kings of Ireland. I'd love to go and take claim of our seat once again at Tara. :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

Longford was never a city.

You need 2 cathedrals to make a city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

CaraMay wrote: »
    Longford was never a city.

You need 2 cathedrals to make a city.
    Who claimed Longford to be a city?

The one that gets me is Kilkenny. It's a town. If its a city, then so are Tralee, Athlone, Sligo and Dundalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

grenache wrote: »
    Who claimed Longford to be a city?

The one that gets me is Kilkenny. It's a town. If its a city, then so are Tralee, Athlone, Sligo and Dundalk.

They had a football team in the LOI called Kilkenny City at one point. I remember being taught in secondary school that KK was a city. I'm from neighbouring Tipperary so naturally I want to debunk this claim. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

deisedave wrote: »
    Why out of interest.

Just my own opinion. I've spent time in other parts of Ireland that are absolutely beautiful and I've enjoyed my time there but would hate to spend more than a few weeks/months at a time there. I'm not exaggerating I would shoot myself if I had to live somewhere else that wasn't at least commutable to Dublin.

Dublin has the highest population - I like being surrounded by lots of people. There's always something going on in town, lots of people to meet from all over Ireland and the world, lots of different nationalities and cultures. Dublin has some of the best education facilities, venues for sporting events, lots of gigs and comedy nights on, loads of pubs/clubs, the people are great craic (not a fan of culchie accents they would drive me nuts if I was only surrounded by them), the city itself is beautiful I think (I know lots will disagree but just my opinion), the architecture, the transport network (is sh1t but better than the rest of Ireland), the jobs (lol). Also on a more personal note, it is better for LGBT life and that is important to me.

On the downside, Dublin does have a lot of scumbags but you get them everywhere and I've never had any major trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Sky King wrote: »
    'Hi I'm just back from Thailand where I bought these beads and did lots of drugs.

I met loads of other people buying beads and doing drugs and went on the same day trips and drank in the same bars as them.

I'm like, so open minded? You should really go. Then you'll understand.'

Sounds like good fun to me. In my own experience who spout pretentious nonsense when they return home after a bit of travelling were spouting pretentious nonsense about something else before they left and sure enough will be spouting it in a years time about something else. People just talking about it is hardly annoying though. If I haven't seen someone in ages and they have just travelled the world I am usually pretty interested in hearing about.
    mel1 wrote: »
    All of these opinions suck, nothing controversial!

is it because we might get banned for speaking our mind?
    If hitler had finished his plan the world would have been a more peaceful place today

There you go

Leitrim-

Your description of Kerry pretty much applies to the main street in Killarney and nowhere else. As far as the Kerry accent goes, it is what it is. I got a fair bit of stick for it when I first moved to Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Christmas is an over commercialised false horrible time of the year with ****e weather

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement