Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unpopular Opinions.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Sar_Bear

I have no sympathy for the KPMG girl. If it was someone from a less well off background not half as many people would jump to their defence.

"Hey I just met you,
    And this is crazy,
    But my daddy is loike totes one of the top earning portners in KPMG"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Sar_Bear wrote: »
    I have no sympathy for the KPMG girl. If it was someone from a less well off background not half as many people would jump to their defence.

"Hey I just met you,
    And this is crazy,
    But my daddy is loike totes one of the top earning portners in KPMG"

I've mixed feelings about her.

I agree with you that she'd have got dog's abuse if she were, for example, from the North side of Dublin and bragging about getting social welfare benefits. And I'm not sure the video'd be removed from so many sites so quickly.

On the other hand, I don't like to say too much negative about her because she's apparently only 16 (I'm not sure where this is coming from though, and she looks a lot older) and I presume the video was posted online without her consent.

I do think she's deserving of some criticism, but this being the internet, I can easily imagine it going too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

I feel unbelievably sorry for her. Any of us who drink have said/done stupid things under the influence.

Yeah she comes across as a bit of a pain, but absolutely does not deserve the publicity she's getting over it. Some of the stuff I have read that people have written about her is scandalous- they don't even know her. And even if they did, you still shouldn't say those horrific things.

I just hope she'll be ok- regardless of her age, I hope she'll be able to get over it without feeling too bad. Those who posted it up should be absolutely ashamed of themselves- silly and all as the girl may have been, they are a million times worse than her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

Bring back the death penalty....!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Mod

No more discussion of the drunk girl, please and thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

1ZRed wrote: »
    Sex and the city is the BIGGEST load of pure nonsensical shite I have ever had the misfortune of having exposure to, and this is coming from the perspective of a gay guy

I quite like it

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

I quite like it

I could just about stomach the series but the films... :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

Bring back the death penalty....!
    For the kpmg girl?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

So what if a few people got off some penalty points because they knew a friendly Guard, we'd all; given the chance do the exact same. Most of those giving out don't see anything wrong with adding a few extra chips or nuggets to their friends lunch while working.

john47832 wrote: »
    For the kpmg girl?

It wouldnt be the death penalty id give her, but i would play hide the sausage with her:D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭brandnewaward

kpmggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Sar_Bear

It wouldnt be the death penalty id give her, but i would play hide the sausage with her:D.

Dude... She's like 16...

Well im guessing she was of the legal age considering she was a little tipsy, and in what looked like a fast food place. Then again who knows, this is Ireland after all. Guess id just have to ID her first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

Well im guessing she was of the legal age considering she was a little tipsy, and in what looked like a fast food place. Then again who knows, this is Ireland after all. Guess id just have to ID her first.

Yes, here nobody drinks or enters fast food places before they're 18.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

john47832 wrote: »
    I thought it was the certain days that it was being flown
    Yeah this is why they're annoyed because it's not being flown 365 days of the year. It's not even their flag, if anything they should fly the Northern Ireland flag seeing as it's Great Britain & NI. Also the cheek of them thinking they can come down to Dublin to stage a protest, no chance it'll be peaceful, guarantee you all hell will break loose!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

KPMG girl was obviously very drunk and young. Hopefully this event will stand to her. She needs shift her pseudo elitist attitude, a KPMG partner my ass! That's being comfortable not wealthy. I hope Dad funds her college or whatever and she gets on ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

KPMG girl was obviously very drunk and young. Hopefully this event will stand to her. She needs shift her pseudo elitist attitude, a KPMG partner my ass! That's being comfortable not wealthy. I hope Dad funds her college or whatever and she gets on ok.

To be honest that post is elitest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Czarcasm wrote: »
    Ahh John, come on now! :D

Carrie was a freelance journalist who spent the ten years of the show writing about her lack of understanding of the opposite sex, and when she wasn't trying to latch on to gay men, she spent ten years chasing a man she called "Big", who showed little interest in her, only when it suited him?

Based on that premise alone I'd say she was more than just a bit dim, and as for the others, while professionally they may have been portrayed as capable, their personal lives were completely unrealistic, especially the swinging sexpot character that was Samantha! :D

For someone who hated it so much you sure did watch it a lot

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

For someone who hated it so much you sure did watch it a lot

Perhaps I'm showing a little bitterness at the fact my wife religiously watched this show for the ten years or so it was on, then the constant re-runs on comedy central, and just when you thought the nightmare was over, they squeeze the last out of the franchise by bringing out not one, but TWO god awful films, and are now in talks about a THIRD one!! :(

My wife watched it, I just happened to be in the room at the same time! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

My wife watched it, I just happened to be in the room at the same time! :D

Apparently the early seasons were quite good, however it supposedly "jumped the shark" later on, and was more noted for who was wearing what than wit.

• Advertisement

Nodin wrote: »
    Apparently the early seasons were quite good, however it supposedly "jumped the shark" later on, and was more noted for who was wearing what than wit.

That's pretty much it, the same as happened with Desperate Housewives- It lost it's way and was already going downhill in the third, fourth series. Then after the the writers strike when they shoved the storyline forward five years, that just killed it altogether. I'd say it's high ratings were maintained by viewer loyalty more than anything, because it certainly wasn't for the awful convoluted storylines!

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

This might be an unpopular opinion but i think Jimmy Magee is a poor commentator.I know everybody loves him as he's been to 10 olympics or whatever it is and yes thats impressive but hes just not a good boxing commentator or any sport he does.At the London olympics he was driving me mad as the score wasnt on the tv screens it only flashed up at the end of every round on the screen in the arena and the crowd would cheer yet Jimmy would still take an age to say what the actual score was.Also the 2 boxers would exchange a good few blows yet Jimmy would just mention one good punch,usually by the Irish competitor.Was'nt it the Bernard Dunne fight where Dunne got knocked out and Jimmy was silent for what seemed like a minute or 2,didnt say a word when he should have been at his most vocal.Incidently according to Wiki its Jimmy Magee,not Mcgee as i see in a few places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Never seen it spelt as McGee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Real Life

you would be surprised, i got caught out like that once

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Despite the recent tragic events, this type of fundraising is only there so some people can have free holidays paid for by everyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

stoneill wrote: »
    Despite the recent tragic events, this type of fundraising is only there so some people can have free holidays paid for by everyone else.
    From what I know, there is still a lot of expense for the climbers. Not sure scaling a mountain is a holiday either (in the "respite" sense of the word).

Sending students of for these help the third world holidays annoyed me whenever I seen them at college. The students picked were often over privileged kids who had not done a days work in their lives. They just saw it as a holiday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭LiamMc

Madam_X wrote: »
    From what I know, there is still a lot of expense for the climbers. Not sure scaling a mountain is a holiday either (in the "respite" sense of the word).

It's a walk up. Altitude Sickness is the greatest difficulty.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/7919100.stm

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Larkin00

I think travelers are bad people by nature. Its in there genes to steal and be a general nuisance. I'm in 6th year at the moment, in my whole 6 years any traveler who has came to my school has left after there Junior Cert and were just complete trouble the whole time they were there. I've never met a decent one.

I worked in a barbers last year which was in a area full of travelers and I saw it on a daily basis. They would come in, a group of say 5, one would come up talking to me asking prices or something another would be talking to the bloke cutting hair and the others would be mooching about looking for things to rob. The bloke who owned this barber shop was considering opening a second shop in a gym near a well known halting site and was discouraged by the owner of the gym because of the trouble he himself was having with them. These are just a few of my own experiences and I'm sure i'll get the usual "there's bad people everywhere regardless", there is bad people in all ethnic groups but not to the extent of the travelers. There reputation isn't unfair its completely justified.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Larkin00 wrote: »
    Its in there genes to steal and be a general nuisance. I'm in 6th year at the moment

How's the auld biology study going for ya, bud? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Larkin00

Not bad. We recently learned about how characteristics like being able to spot a nice reel of copper wire can be passed from generation to generation. :D

Never mind biology, I hope they're not taking Honours English for their Leaving Certificate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

so over mumford & sons, think most of their songs sound the same, same goes for the script!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

Not bad. We recently learned about how characteristics like being able to spot a nice reel of copper wire can be passed from generation to generation. :D
    Thats Chemistry pal...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Never mind biology, I hope they're not taking Honours English for their Leaving Certificate!

Yeah, because my post was completely devoid of punctuation and syntax. I'd better drop down to pass so :pac:

• Advertisement

I think travelers are bad people by nature. Its in there genes to steal and be a general nuisance. I'm in 6th year at the moment, in my whole 6 years any traveler who has came to my school has left after there Junior Cert and were just complete trouble the whole time they were there. I've never met a decent one.

I worked in a barbers last year which was in a area full of travelers and I saw it on a daily basis. They would come in, a group of say 5, one would come up talking to me asking prices or something another would be talking to the bloke cutting hair and the others would be mooching about looking for things to rob. The bloke who owned this barber shop was considering opening a second shop in a gym near a well known halting site and was discouraged by the owner of the gym because of the trouble he himself was having with them. These are just a few of my own experiences and I'm sure i'll get the usual "there's bad people everywhere regardless", there is bad people in all ethnic groups but not to the extent of the travelers. There reputation isn't unfair its completely justified.

Maybe drop to foundation level biology ;)

Yeah, because my post was completely devoid of punctuation and syntax. I'd better drop down to pass so :pac:

Not you Izzy, the poster before you who I would also hope isn't taking social studies as a subject, or whatever they're calling it these days, CSP?

I don't know how popular or unpopular this is going to sound but in my opinion the curriculum is seriously being dumbed down to accommodate todays students who just couldn't be bothered making the effort to study, and then complain about their "stressful" workload.

Not you Izzy, the porter before you who I would also hope isn't taking social studies as a subject, or whatever they're calling it these days, CSP?

I don't know how popular or unpopular this is going to sound but in my opinion the curriculum is seriously being dumbed down to accommodate todays students who just couldn't be bothered making the effort to study, and then complain about their "stressful" workload.

I completely agree. It should be made a lot harder plus there should be an entrance exam before each course like some other countries do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭oldscoil

Jedward are great role models for kids.

They are athletic, have positive attitudes, will try their hand at anything and they do not give a fcuk what other people think of them!

Actaully fcuk that, they are great role models for all of us!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

oldscoil wrote: »
    Jedward are great role models for kids.

They are athletic, have positive attitudes, will try their hand at anything and they do not give a fcuk what other people think of them!

Actaully fcuk that, they are great role models for all of us!

Yeah, either that or they'll do anything for money and fame?

Sometimes giving a f*ck is a good thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Not you Izzy, the poster before you who I would also hope isn't taking social studies as a subject, or whatever they're calling it these days, CSP?

It was always dumb, Everyone just has a romantic notion of having it much harder than the present generation. If your parents still have your old school books, go to their house and have a flick through them. You'll be amazed at how embarrassingly simplistic they were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

so over mumford & sons, think most of their songs sound the same, same goes for the script!

Every Mumford & Sons song ever made
    tumblr_mb6d56H1nk1ru01ys.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

It was always dumb, Everyone just has a romantic notion of having it much harder than the present generation. If your parents still have your old school books, go to their house and have a flick through them. You'll be amazed at how embarrassingly simplistic they were.

nope. i looked at some of the old 'whatever the hell it was called before it was called the leaving cert' papers back when i was in school in the late 90's. much much harder than anything I was doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭BeerSteakBirds

The Indians sure have kept their mouth shut about our medical treatment of women ever since their own widespread rape scandal revelations.

*unpopular opinion because of hypocritical moral relativism*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

In bullfighting, I root for the one with horns. Every single time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

The Indians sure have kept their mouth shut about our medical treatment of women ever since their own widespread rape scandal revelations.

*unpopular opinion because of hypocritical moral relativism*

:confused:

All men involved in the rape have been arrested and charged and will most likely be found guilty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

:confused:

All men involved in the rape have been arrested and charged and will most likely be found guilty.

I think he's referring to the fact that rape appears to be a massive social problem in India- since the story about the rape/murder broke, there's been a torrent of similar stories coming out. I think this might have been a watershed moment for them.

geeky wrote: »
    In bullfighting, I root for the one with horns. Every single time.

I agree after all the bull didn't choose to get in the ring. The man consented so it's his problem

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭MickFleetwood

led zeppelin aren't that great a band. :/ prefer The Doors immensely so.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

nope. i looked at some of the old 'whatever the hell it was called before it was called the leaving cert' papers back when i was in school in the late 90's. much much harder than anything I was doing.

I used to notice that too when studying past exam papers, this was in the mid 00s so it was probably the papers you had done for your LC that I was looking at. If the pattern has continued it must be a total doddle all together at this stage. :pac:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement