Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unpopular Opinions.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

It was always dumb, Everyone just has a romantic notion of having it much harder than the present generation. If your parents still have your old school books, go to their house and have a flick through them. You'll be amazed at how embarrassingly simplistic they were.

Having almost had to coach my sister in law through secondary school, and now having a child of my own in the primary education system, I have seen how the curriculum was essentially dumbed down and jazzed up to "appeal" to children and adolescents in order to encourage them to learn and accomplish simple tasks, rather than actually challenge them to tax their brain any small bit and actually really learn something!

Most secondary school leavers nowadays barely have a grasp of the basics (reading, writing, arithmetics), and having helped out friends in third level courses studying business, economics and accountancy, to see them struggle with the most basic tasks, be it careless spelling mistakes, simple errors in addition and subtraction, etc.

And don't even get me started on having to read through reams of catscrawl handwritten thesis' - Jesus wept!

I was recently informed by their teacher that my child at six years of age had the reading comprehension of a sixteen year old. The first thing that occured to me was not that he was an exceptional reader, but that the rest of the class must be well below standard! In my opinion my child reads at the level ANY six year old should be at. My child learned their BOMDAS through Microsoft Excel so allowances could be made in that respect that not every child would have access to a computer outside school hours.

The lack of IT education in Irish schools is actually embarrassing, but that's an opinion for another thread!

/Rant.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Czarcasm wrote: »
    Having almost had to coach my sister in law through secondary school, and now having a child of my own in the primary education system, I have seen how the curriculum was essentially dumbed down and jazzed up to "appeal" to children and adolescents in order to encourage them to learn and accomplish simple tasks, rather than actually challenge them to tax their brain any small bit and actually really learn something!

Most secondary school leavers nowadays barely have a grasp of the basics (reading, writing, arithmetics), and having helped out friends in third level courses studying business, economics and accountancy, to see them struggle with the most basic tasks, be it careless spelling mistakes, simple errors in addition and subtraction, etc.

And don't even get me started on having to read through reams of catscrawl handwritten thesis' - Jesus wept!

I was recently informed by their teacher that my child at six years of age had the reading comprehension of a sixteen year old. The first thing that occured to me was not that he was an exceptional reader, but that the rest of the class must be well below standard! In my opinion my child reads at the level ANY six year old should be at. My child learned their BOMDAS through Microsoft Excel so allowances could be made in that respect that not every child would have access to a computer outside school hours.

The lack of IT education in Irish schools is actually embarrassing, but that's an opinion for another thread!

/Rant.

We don't have time for your IT mumbojumbo with all the jESUS stories on the curriculum don't you know???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

The Indians sure have kept their mouth shut about our medical treatment of women ever since their own widespread rape scandal revelations.

*unpopular opinion because of hypocritical moral relativism*

At least rape victims in India can get an abortion (if wanted)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭LiamMc

We don't have time for your IT mumbojumbo with all the jESUS stories on the curriculum don't you know???

Speak for yourself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

I believe that there is a significant rump of people in Ireland that set out to pay nothing and get /sponge as much as they can from the State.

They are adept at working the system and have all the latest gadgets / TV'S smsrt phones etc. but jib at paying the household charge or indeed any other charge.

I think Noonan was close to the truth when he said that people with Sky /UPC TV services should be able to cough up the household charge.

Unpopular ...mebbe....but ....???:confused:

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Unpopular opinion but this post is disgracful.

It's absolutely spot on pilgrim.....the man tells it as he sees it.....I would say it is very popular opinion.

Need more people like the guy Nally who topped the Frog Ward in self defence...then mebbe these savages would learn to respect the law...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭RaRaRasputin

Larkin00 wrote: »
    I think travelers are bad people by nature. Its in there genes to steal and be a general nuisance. I'm in 6th year at the moment, in my whole 6 years any traveler who has came to my school has left after there Junior Cert and were just complete trouble the whole time they were there. I've never met a decent one.

I worked in a barbers last year which was in a area full of travelers and I saw it on a daily basis. They would come in, a group of say 5, one would come up talking to me asking prices or something another would be talking to the bloke cutting hair and the others would be mooching about looking for things to rob. The bloke who owned this barber shop was considering opening a second shop in a gym near a well known halting site and was discouraged by the owner of the gym because of the trouble he himself was having with them. These are just a few of my own experiences and I'm sure i'll get the usual "there's bad people everywhere regardless", there is bad people in all ethnic groups but not to the extent of the travelers. There reputation isn't unfair its completely justified.

I don't see anything wrong with your opinion, but 6th year??? Seriously??? Good luck ireland...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tom_Cruise

It is true though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

I don't think it is. It reflects some of my own personal experiences

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

It's absolutely spot on pilgrim.....the man tells it as he sees it.....I would say it is very popular opinion.

Need more people like the guy Nally who topped the Frog Ward in self defence...then mebbe these savages would learn to respect the law...

Wait the man says travellers as a people are programmed genetically to steal. It's some of the worst tripe I have heard since south africa was ruled by racists.

I suppose you will say that pikeys are gentle caring people...with the menfolk moisturing every day and helping old ladies across the road ?

The women paragons of virtue and the kids well behaved with respect for authority and an insatiable thirst for knowledge ?

Tell me ....do you live in a land where there are lemonade springs and the bluebird sings on a big rock candy mountain ?

I suppose you will say that pikeys are gentle caring people...with the menfolk moisturing every day and helping old ladies across the road ?

The women paragons of virtue and the kids well behaved with respect for authority and an insatiable thirst for knowledge ?

Tell me ....do you live in a land where there are lemonade springs and the bluebird sings on a big rock candy mountain ?

No me and my friends aren't stupid enough to generalise though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

I believe that there is a significant rump of people in Ireland that set out to pay nothing and get /sponge as much as they can from the State.

They are adept at working the system and have all the latest gadgets / TV'S smsrt phones etc. but jib at paying the household charge or indeed any other charge.

I think Noonan was close to the truth when he said that people with Sky /UPC TV services should be able to cough up the household charge.

Unpopular ...mebbe....but ....???:confused:

I dont know anyone who didnt pay just because they couldnt afford it, people didnt want to be charged because they happened to own a house. People can afford a something which provides a service, not throwing money into a pot and see nothing for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,108 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I think that people who use the word "mebbe" on a regular basis should consult with a dictionary.

I also think that in most sports women should be forced to compete alongside men.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

Quazzie wrote: »
    I also think that in most sports women should be forced to compete alongside men.

Why?

Also, I know this is an unpopular opinions thread and I'm hardly crying about it, I'm not that sensitive to the opinions posted on here and I think it's a good idea for a thread. But the "opinion" posted about Travellers is ridiculous and just shows the nature of AH. If you replaced the word 'Travellers' with 'black people' you would be banned instantly. Hell, I got banned making a post which I think has been deleted now where I was sarcastically making generalisations about black people in a response to some anti-women sh1te. Just shows you can make generalisations on AH about certain sections of society (women, Travellers) but not others.

That's my unpopular opinion maybe :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

My unpopular opinion is that people nowadays are too scared to say what is really on their mind and that the politically correct brigade are in the minority but they feel comfortable in expressing their viewpoint.(as is their right, of course).

Another unpopular opinion of mine is that Dublin is a shoddy capital city and in need of a major make over...especially around the city centre.

Vested interests and a cabal of self styled experts in corduroy trews and elbow patch tweed jackets are preventing our capital from becoming a modern trriving city with plenty of tasteful high rise around designated areas in city centre.

Who are these people ...who appointed them ....what is their age cohort ?

I would like to know......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

Another unpopular opinion of mine is that Dublin is a shoddy capital city and in need of a major make over...especially around the city centre.

Vested interests and a cabal of self styled experts in corduroy trews and elbow patch tweed jackets are preventing our capital from becoming a modern trriving city with plenty of tasteful high rise around designated areas in city centre.

High rise buildings are a lot of things, but unless your in Dubai, they are certainly not tasteful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,108 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Why?

Because in a lot of the races for example the world record time would only just qualify a man to represent his country. They aren't stand out in their sport, just in their sex. Its sexist that they get to go to the Olympics where faster people than them can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Stimpyone

Has anybody mentioned that our national anthem is shockingly bad. Tune and lyrics are awful.

Probably wouldn't have been so bad if they'd left it in its original English format. At least then there would be a possibility that most of the population would bother to learn it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

Rump?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

1. They're nobody
    2. No-one appointed them
    3. They don't have an age cohort because...

4. You've just imagined them. They don't exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Where did he even indicate he thinks the above about travellers? Can it only be the above or the negative or something? :confused:
    I have no problem saying I think there is a lot wrong within traveller culture, and a high proportion of very anti social behaviour, but there are some very decent travellers, and to say it's in their "genes" to steal is just a lie and silly, even if many of them do - but it's not "in their genes".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

You mean google?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭BeerSteakBirds

At least rape victims in India can get an abortion (if wanted)

The whole topic is disgusting. However the point restated is that it is much harder to take criticism from a hypocrite even if that criticism could well be valid. It is impossible to take moral lecturing from a hypocrite seriously. In fact they do any issue a dis service simply by association.

You won't have Indians claiming to be better than us in how they treat our women AFTER the revelations about a deep rooted rape culture in their society but many of them were certainly giving that false impression. Even our own media were misrepresenting Indians to try give that impression. Reality cannot be hushed up for long. Consider a recent drug rape case in the courts and the nationality of the convicted. It's the pious perfect criticizer who I resent, not criticism itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Why?

Also, I know this is an unpopular opinions thread and I'm hardly crying about it, I'm not that sensitive to the opinions posted on here and I think it's a good idea for a thread. But the "opinion" posted about Travellers is ridiculous and just shows the nature of AH. If you replaced the word 'Travellers' with 'black people' you would be banned instantly. Hell, I got banned making a post which I think has been deleted now where I was sarcastically making generalisations about black people in a response to some anti-women sh1te. Just shows you can make generalisations on AH about certain sections of society (women, Travellers) but not others.

That's my unpopular opinion maybe :pac:
    Except that several people were banned.

My unpopular opinion is that you should all make the effort to read the forum charter before going off on racist rants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

The Clash are over-rated.

There, I said it!

/relief

• Registered Users Posts: 12,908 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

cantdecide wrote: »

There, I said it!

/relief

I don't know if I'd agree that they're overrated but the Ramones were a lot better.

humanji wrote: »
    Except that several people were banned.

My unpopular opinion is that you should all make the effort to read the forum charter before going off on racist rants.

"Not reading the rules is against the rules"

Unpopular Opinion: this is a sneaky rule

Only unpipular with mods...

Everyone should aspire to being exactly like Brian Clough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭LiamMc

Green isn't my colour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Dead?

Dead?

Made me lol!

No respect for the man here at all...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

There, I said it!

/relief

"The only band that mattered" is obviously going a bit too far and I say that as a huge Clash fan but tbh I don't know all that many people that listen to them. Maybe it's just my social circle.

Cold weather is wonderful...

• Registered Users Posts: 49 BusyMum12

Fat women are unattractive and not 'curvy' - they're fat.

Cous-cous aint nice at all. It aint potato and it aint rice, whats it trying to be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

BusyMum12 wrote: »

Couldn't agree more!

• Advertisement

Curvy is nice. Fat is not. Some can be moderately overweight and be 'fat' and some can be very overweight and be curvy. Depends on body type.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Real Life

Curvy is nice. Fat is not. Some can be moderately overweight and be 'fat' and some can be very overweight and be curvy. Depends on body type.

but what is curvy? most of the time people try to pass off obese as curvy.

Couldn't agree more!

Ohhh I dunno, me personally I prefer a bit more cushion for the pushin' myself! :D

Real Life wrote: »
    but what is curvy? most of the time people try to pass off obese as curvy.

As demonstrated above- It depends on who you ask! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭faccid

Bottle feedimg is best opotion. Why should the women ruin her boobs when she can just bottle. Man happy, baby happy and mammy doesn't need to wear clothes during sex to cover saggy boobs. Win win

Breastmilk is considered the most beneficial form of sustenance for a newborn, and if a mother can provide it (a lot of women find it too difficult/painful - but yay, at least their boobs stay looking good... ish... after the effect of pregnancy and birth on them) she's going to be more concerned about her newborn baby's diet than how her boobs look. Crazy, I know.
    Women often express their breastmilk into bottles for feeds later on but they're not always going to have the time and energy to perform that rather gruelling and longwinded task, so instead... just lob it in. Handy when you haven't had a proper sleep in weeks.

faccid wrote: »
    Bottle feedimg is best opotion. Why should the women ruin her boobs when she can just bottle. Man happy, baby happy and mammy doesn't need to wear clothes during sex to cover saggy boobs. Win win

Where DO you get your ideas? :pac:

Women don't ruin their breasts when breastfeeding, some women can certainly find it painful alright, I know my wife did initially, but saggy boobs and wearing clothes during sex?? You can't seriously be thinking that surely? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Madam_X wrote: »
    Breastmilk is considered the most beneficial form of sustenance for a newborn, and if a mother can provide it (a lot of women find it too difficult/painful - but yay, at least their boobs stay looking good... ish... after the effect of pregnancy and birth on them) she's going to be more concerned about her newborn baby's diet than how her boobs look. Crazy, I know.
    Women often express their breastmilk into bottles for feeds later on but they're not always going to have the time and energy to perform that rather gruelling and longwinded task, so instead... just lob it in. Handy when you haven't had a proper sleep in weeks.

I've 3 kids - tried to breastfeed first one - didn't work out. Didn't try with second two.
    Even without the breastfeeding, the toll of pregnancy has forced them towards the carpet!
    Waiting for a few extra grand to fall into my account one of these days so I can get a boob job.
    In reality, I probably won't get enough money until I'm 65 - I'll take pics of the surgeons shocked and disgusted face when I go in for you all :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 454 ✭✭Israel_Dagg

Find me a quote where the opposite is said.

Oh it's said all right on those naff women's magazines like Take A Break, and you know those Facebook quotes and updates about "real women", and then shows like Loose Women. But these hardly represent society in general. Most people know the above stuff is just deluded silliness.
    I'm not referring to women who have just a bit of extra weight by the way, but having stones to lose isn't anything to celebrate.

NSFW: Article contains pictures of naked ladies, morbidly obese naked ladies. Don't say you weren't warned!

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/features/4707120/Photographers-uses-obese-models-for-new-collection.html#ixzz2FgtRI1sn

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭faccid

My OH won't be breast feeding and thats for sure. I wouldn't take the chance! I'd rather she got c section but thats up to docs I guess.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement