Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unpopular Opinions.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Get the irony of the above?

Let me help you there chief, pot, kettle.

Irony is when you post in a thread called "UNpopular opinions" and then get post of the day for the huge numbers of thanks you get! :D

Because that's all should happen if the thread were to run the way you put forward- reams and reams of "This is what I think" posts, and no way to gauge their unpopularity or otherwise, because by definition the "Thanks" button, like facebook likes, is the easiest way of showing you agree with the opinion put forward, and the more thanks or likes you get, the more it becomes confusing as to whether your opinion was actually unpopular, or a hell of a lot more popular than you thought! :D

gbee wrote: »

OOOPPs! Big big no no here. They can't possibly allow anything that does not have evidence to back it up surely.

Belief is just not enough.

You do understand the difference between ones personal beliefs, and what is contained within the curriculum, right?

OT- Stop embarrassing yourself. Enough is enough already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,711 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Czarcasm wrote: »

Being proud of history is an interesting one because you have the likes of American Schools whose pupils recite the pledge of allegiance to the flag every morning, and the English well they have their pledge of allegiance to their queen. Irish schools don't have that same patriotism instilled in them, because we never won feckall! :D

Even the French though are funny about this one- they are a proud and arrogant nation, but it was only recently a pledge of allegiance was suggested (a suggestion didn't go down well either! :D).

Contrary to popular belief, it actually has, and many times in fact, because now it has to accommodate other denominations, minorities, ethics; you ask the question further down as to why philosophy is not a core subject in schools, but it always has been, we just call it religion. I remember when I was in school- philosophy, free thinking and discussion was encouraged. Even moreso now it's integrated into the curriculum. We're still not at the level of the likes of the UK and the US or France because we have predominantly been a catholic country, whereas other western countries were a mix of cultures, and so their national curriculums were changed to accommodate for other cultures and religions decades ago.

I'd have to agree with you on this one in fairness. As much as I love Irish, the reason so many hate it is because it IS indoctrinated and learned by rote in most schools. I just happened to get lucky in that my Irish teacher was passionate about the language itself, and went above and beyond the scope of the curriculum. Just be thankful the curriculum changed a few years back and you didn't have to indulge in the miserable sufferings of Peig! :D

If you want to encourage your child to think for themselves, that has to start in the home, you can't possibly say schools are churning out numptys and indoctrination is to blame. The apple doesn't usually fall far from the tree! :pac:

To unite a few points: bare in mind that in some parts of the US creationism is taught as fact.

I disagree with you about religion, certainly when I went through it (early 90s). Why, when having an abortion "debate" was Roe v. Wade never brought up? Admittedly by a catholic nun, but balance is balance. And thee is a massive difference between religion and ethical philosophy.

Agree with you on the last point to an extent: but if your child is educated by the state, said state at least has the repsonsibilty for balance. And again, why are more expressive subjects - not just philosphy, but also art (and by art, I mean cinema, dance, visual art, music, etc.) and how use different media to express themselves not on the curriculum?

Because we live in a conservative environment where people are taugh what to think and not these and are liberal subjects whcih teach people how to think.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Because we live in a conservative environment where people are taugh what to think and not these and are liberal subjects whcih teach people how to think.

I agree. School is not education, or more precisely, state school is not. A very valid point about the arts, it is quite an expense to explore these fields outside the basic curriculum.

I personally of a know of a few exceptions locally, nonetheless your point holds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

NIMAN wrote: »
    The Big Bang Theory TV show is seriously unfunny.

I'm with you on this one. The worst thing is when people think it's a comedy for intelligent people cos the dickhead main character makes jokes about shíte like gravity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

Cienciano wrote: »
    I'm with you on this one. The worst thing is when people think it's a comedy for intelligent people cos the dickhead main character makes jokes about shíte like gravity.

I don't think the comedy is for intelligent people but the references certainly are. There's no way in hell I would get half of them if I wasn't studying Science. Not that I think Big Bang Theory is in any way funny though :pac:

To unite a few points: bare in mind that in some parts of the US creationism is taught as fact.

Ikky I gotta be honest- you're all over the place!
    I disagree with you about religion, certainly when I went through it (early 90s). Why, when having an abortion "debate" was Roe v. Wade never brought up? Admittedly by a catholic nun, but balance is balance. And thee is a massive difference between religion and ethical philosophy.

Roe v. Wade? Perhaps because American constitutional law has nothing to do with Irish constitutional law? Not to mention that Harvard grads still argue over Roe v. Wade, so can you imagine how it would be interpreted by a bunch of 15 year olds? It might come up in the American classroom alright, but over here the X case and it's repercussions might be more relevant.
    Agree with you on the last point to an extent: but if your child is educated by the state, said state at least has the repsonsibilty for balance. And again, why are more expressive subjects - not just philosphy, but also art (and by art, I mean cinema, dance, visual art, music, etc.) and how use different media to express themselves not on the curriculum?

They ARE on the curriculum, there's just not as big a focus on them in Ireland. Ireland though, to refer back to your original point, is not representative of western world educational systems as a whole. In the Netherlands and Austria for example, their curriculum is very much focussed on arts and culture. German and Eastern European curriculums are very much focussed on languages and technology. Ireland again fails very much in this regard.

That's more due to the fact though that the curriculum adapts to meet the needs of society, and Irish society has had a massive upheaval in the last 20 years. That's why you notice the delay moreso in Ireland than you would in other countries, because the curriculum has been slow to catch up to the changes in society, and the money just isn't there at the moment to fund a complete change in the educational system overnight unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

Anyone who thinks Big Bang Theory is not funny should have their internet connection forcibly removed from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,711 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Ikky I gotta be honest- you're all over the place!

Roe v. Wade? Perhaps because American constitutional law has nothing to do with Irish constitutional law? Not to mention that Harvard grads still argue over Roe v. Wade, so can you imagine how it would be interpreted by a bunch of 15 year olds? It might come up in the American classroom alright, but over here the X case and it's repercussions might be more relevant.

They ARE on the curriculum, there's just not as big a focus on them in Ireland. Ireland though, to refer back to your original point, is not representative of western world educational systems as a whole. In the Netherlands and Austria for example, their curriculum is very much focussed on arts and culture. German and Eastern European curriculums are very much focussed on languages and technology. Ireland again fails very much in this regard.

That's more due to the fact though that the curriculum adapts to meet the needs of society, and Irish society has had a massive upheaval in the last 20 years. That's why you notice the delay moreso in Ireland than you would in other countries, because the curriculum has been slow to catch up to the changes in society, and the money just isn't there at the moment to fund a complete change in the educational system overnight unfortunately.

Roe v Wade is very important in an ethical debate. It had massive implications not just in the context of abortion but also in the contexts of womens' human rights and privacy. Should these rights be universal? Or just based on nationality? Very relevant if you're going to argue that religion is a good substitute for ethics and philosopy. And you don't have to go massively deep into it - if a 15-year old is old enough to have an abortion (or be a father for that matter) they are certainly old enough to debate the issue. That or abortion shouldn't be brought up in the classroom in the first place.

Fair enough on the Irish v Western education point. I'm not as knowledgable on the systems you mentioned, but I was thinking more in lines of English-seaking systems.

I would like to think that we are movign in the right direction. I don't have kids or know much about more modern education, but I know one or two teachers and they still have very conservative outlooks. I hate to think it's out of nessecity.

• Advertisement

Roe v Wade is very important in an ethical debate. It had massive implications not just in the context of abortion but also in the contexts of womens' human rights and privacy. Should these rights be universal? Or just based on nationality? Very relevant if you're going to argue that religion is a good substitute for ethics and philosopy. And you don't have to go massively deep into it - if a 15-year old is old enough to have an abortion (or be a father for that matter) they are certainly old enough to debate the issue. That or abortion shouldn't be brought up in the classroom in the first place.

See THAT might qualify as an unpopular opinion Ikky because the American judicial system wouldn't have any relevance to Irish law, and call it a hunch, but a lot of Irish teenagers if you mention the X case, let alone Roe v Wade, would stare back at you with a blank expression and wonder what the hell you were on about. It can be hard enough for them to wrap their heads around contraception, let alone concepts like abortion! You just happen to be crediting most teenagers with your level of intellect and maturity, but remember what you and your friends were like as teenagers- your interest in sex didn't extend much beyond the physical act, never mind the ethical considerations of the possible consequences.
    I would like to think that we are movign in the right direction. I don't have kids or know much about more modern education, but I know one or two teachers and they still have very conservative outlooks. I hate to think it's out of nessecity.

I think people are just people Ikky tbh. I know plenty of liberal thinking people who just happen to BE teachers, and then I know plenty of conservative people who again just happen to BE teachers. Some people will just treat teaching as a profession, and will just about impart the bare minimum curriculum requirements, but some teachers are passionate about imparting their knowledge because they are passionate about the subjects they teach and are passionate about seeing their students do well.

Those are the kind of teachers I like because they inspire their students, and engage with them on a level where someone who is just doing it for the money wont, and the students become less interested in the subject as a result of an apathetic teacher. You get those in every educational system though worldwide, not just in western society.

See THAT might qualify as an unpopular opinion Ikky because the American judicial system wouldn't have any relevance to Irish law, and call it a hunch, but a lot of Irish teenagers if you mention the X case, let alone Roe v Wade, would stare back at you with a blank expression and wonder what the hell you were on about. It can be hard enough for them to wrap their heads around contraception, let alone concepts like abortion! You just happen to be crediting most teenagers with your level of intellect and maturity, but remember what you and your friends were like as teenagers- your interest in sex didn't extend much beyond the physical act, never mind the ethical considerations of the possible consequences.

But why not? I argue that they have the capacity (to debate) but are not receiving the education.
    I think people are just people Ikky tbh. I know plenty of liberal thinking people who just happen to BE teachers, and then I know plenty of conservative people who again just happen to BE teachers. Some people will just treat teaching as a profession, and will just about impart the bare minimum curriculum requirements, but some teachers are passionate about imparting their knowledge because they are passionate about the subjects they teach and are passionate about seeing their students do well.

Those are the kind of teachers I like because they inspire their students, and engage with them on a level where someone who is just doing it for the money wont, and the students become less interested in the subject as a result of an apathetic teacher. You get those in every educational system though worldwide, not just in western society.

Have to confess some ignorance here: what's a "BE" teacher...?

I take your point, though, but as was my initial point, it's the curriculum rather than the teachers. The teachers hands are a bit tied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

BE=be I'd say.

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    BE=be I'd say.

:o

But why not? I argue that they have the capacity (to debate) but are not receiving the education.

I take your point, though, but as was my initial point, it's the curriculum rather than the teachers. The teachers hands are a bit tied.

Ha! Sorry Ikky, the "BE" was meant for emphasis as in "to BE a teacher", but both your points tie in nicely to each other anyway- the reason they are not receiving the education is not because of the curriculum, it's because some teachers lack the passion to go beyond the curriculum! It's not that their hands are tied, it's that they really just couldn't care less about what they do, they lack the passion and drive to inspire their students and encourage them to think for themselves. The best teachers will always encourage a child to think for themselves, regardless of the curriculum. Their students do better because they are inspired to learn more, and because they are interested in the subject, they take in more and form a broader point of view and do better in tests because they have a better understanding of the material than a student who learns by rote.

The worst teachers will just about cover the curriculum and give their students the answers to bump up their test scores. The uninspired students will become lazy and will take what's given to them without question and without understanding, and because they don't understand, they don't take anything in. They become closed off to learning concepts and will just "learn by rote so they're able to quote", so to speak.

Think about it- we all had our favorite teachers in school; were they the teachers who inspired us and were passionate about their subject, or were our favorite teachers the ones who let us mess and horseplay and generally doss through the whole class?

As I just wrote that last paragraph I could still remember the teachers that inspired me to go outside the curriculum and learn more. I struggle to remember the teachers who were so apathetic that I had to go outside the curriculum out of necessity to teach myself the subject!

Ha! Sorry Ikky, the "BE" was meant for emphasis as in "to BE a teacher", but both your points tie in nicely to each other anyway- the reason they are not receiving the education is not because of the curriculum, it's because some teachers lack the passion to go beyond the curriculum! It's not that their hands are tied, it's that they really just couldn't care less about what they do, they lack the passion and drive to inspire their students and encourage them to think for themselves. The best teachers will always encourage a child to think for themselves, regardless of the curriculum. Their students do better because they are inspired to learn more, and because they are interested in the subject, they take in more and form a broader point of view and do better in tests because they have a better understanding of the material than a student who learns by rote.

The worst teachers will just about cover the curriculum and give their students the answers to bump up their test scores. The uninspired students will become lazy and will take what's given to them without question and without understanding, and because they don't understand, they don't take anything in. They become closed off to learning concepts and will just "learn by rote so they're able to quote", so to speak.

Think about it- we all had our favorite teachers in school; were they the teachers who inspired us and were passionate about their subject, or were our favorite teachers the ones who let us mess and horseplay and generally doss through the whole class?

As I just wrote that last paragraph I could still remember the teachers that inspired me to go outside the curriculum and learn more. I struggle to remember the teachers who were so apathetic that I had to go outside the curriculum out of necessity to teach myself the subject!

Still brings me back to the original point: put things like philosophy on the syallabus and the lazy teachers have nowehre to go. Job done :D. Good points though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 298 ✭✭IrishExpat

I honestly do not have a problem with auto-tune. Wouldn't mind hearing a few old Bob Dylan numbers given this treatment. That man could write, but not sing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

IrishExpat wrote: »
    I honestly do not have a problem with auto-tune. Wouldn't mind hearing a few old Bob Dylan numbers given this treatment. That man could write, but not sing.

Ah now come on!! Bob Dylan could sing. It's not a mainstream style of singing, but it's a style that perfectly fits his songs. "A voice like sand and glue," as David Bowie put it so well.

Why not also replace the Beatles' scouse accents with nice estuary ones, and replace all of Joe Strummer's vocals with those of a moppet from the X-Factor?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Paul Simon's music is heavily over-produced...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Ikea's Ballymun store induces hypomania. Great place to spend a Sunday afternoon but jaysus help you- it is an assault on the senses.

I also like Brendan O' Carroll's line of work. Then again, I also count "White Chicks" among my favorite comedy movies so you know I have no taste! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

IrishExpat wrote: »
    I honestly do not have a problem with auto-tune.
    Yeh it's just a sound effect like lots of other sound effects which are deemed fine. The problem with it is its over-use. It does sound dreadful if it comprises most of the song. But used a small bit it can sound fine IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Madam_X wrote: »
    Yeh it's just a sound effect like lots of other sound effects which are deemed fine. The problem with it is its over-use. It does sound dreadful if it comprises most of the song. But used a small bit it can sound fine IMO.

It does nothing for me. I'd rather listen to a bum note here and there if the song's worth singing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

You dont need to exercise or do a crazy diet to lose weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

I have no patience for people paying for a sandwich with a credit card at the till.

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    I have no patience for people paying for a sandwich with a credit card at the till.

Or ordering one of theis flash coffees that take abotu 5 minutes to make when there's only one cashier behind the desk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

That's only when it's used with that obvious setting, most of the time it's not a sound effect and you wouldn't even notice it there, it's just used to make people who can't sing sound like they can. There are no human imperfections in recorded music anymore because of it, and people don't need talent to be famous singers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Watched 5 series of Breaking Bad waiting and waiting and waiting to see this magnificent show that boards.ie TV forum was raving about.
    Meh, I'm done. Won't be watching anymore, very poor show in my opinion.

The most racist people I know are Spanish. Good few in the office and I'd be in front of HR if I dared to say the stuff they come out with.
    Maybe they see nothing wrong with what they say? Racist chanting at football grounds in UK and Ireland is largely gone but seems to be an issue still in Spain.

Alan Kelly TD from Tipp was in the newspapers claiming he recieved death threats.
    Labour Party TD and Minister of State Alan Kelly has revealed that he had to call in the gardaí after receiving a death threat in the post.

The sinister incident was a very frightening experience for the minister and his family, he disclosed to The Guardian this week.
    http://www.nenaghguardian.ie/news-detail.php?article=6GKANQ
    As a local that story is pure lies and when the real reason for this dispute comes out in the next month or two he will be destroyed and not get reelected.
    Think Pat Kenny and claiming land you do not own ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Watched 5 series of Breaking Bad waiting and waiting and waiting to see this magnificent show that boards.ie TV forum was raving about.
    Meh, I'm done. Won't be watching anymore, very poor show in my opinion.

Very poor? Its not even close to that, best thing on tv at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Suits is the best thing on TV at the moment :)

Spunge wrote: »
    You dont need to exercise or do a crazy diet to lose weight.
    Yeh you can lose weight simply by changing your eating habits but a crazy diet isn't required. Some discipline is though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

once you get past his weird desire for rewriting irish history and his unhealthy fascination for the cumbags known as IRA...
    Kevin Myers is a great journalist and makes you think....if only there was other journalists around like him instead of the agenda driven drivel the rest write.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Homeland is shíte.

Every episode is Claire Danes crying and making a ugly gurning face. The plot doesn't budge and does nothing to make you want to watch the next episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Homeland is shíte.

Every episode is Claire Danes crying and making a ugly gurning face. The plot doesn't budge and does nothing to make you want to watch the next episode.

+1 lasted 2 episodes of the first series

but then i'm enjoying re-runs of voyager on cbs action

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,210 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Breaking bad is average, lost interest after episode 4 of Series 1.

[SIZE="1"]but then i'm enjoying re-runs of voyager on cbs action[/SIZE]

Speaking of which, you'll have seen the re-runs then of star trek the original series on the same channel.

Aside from a psychedellic and theatrical perspective, I don't get what all the fuss is about. It's bloody cringeworthy, but I can't stop watching it! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Thats when it starts getting good! well its good from the opening of season 1 but it just gets better and better.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭RebelRed90

Your loss. Big Bang theory is absolute tripe, if it didnt have a laughing track in the background it would be cancelled after a few episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭joe stodge

Females who post pictures of themselves on Facebook wearing a pair of glasses with the caption, I'm such a nerd.

NO, NO your not. You're a whore who found a pair of glasses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

RebelRed90 wrote: »
    Your loss. Big Bang theory is absolute tripe, if it didnt have a laughing track in the background it would be cancelled after a few episodes.

I thought the Big Bang Theory being ****e was a popular opinion. I actually think it's not that bad. It's not the best show I've ever seen and I don't find it outrageously funny, but it's quite easy to watch. I think the guy who plays Sheldon is quite a good actor too. He single-handedly carries the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

The Gathering helps to perpetuate the stereotype of us being a bunch of spud-munching drunkards. If they called it "2013: Year of the Diaspora", I'd have no problem with it.

• Advertisement

The Gathering helps to perpetuate the stereotype of us being a bunch of spud-munching drunkards. If they called it "2013: Year of the Diaspora", I'd have no problem with it.

I can't stop the cringe :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Drinking for the sake of drinking is stupid and a waste of money.

Not having a Pádraig Pearse/Michael Collins/Wolfe-Tone/Daniell O'Connell day but having an Arthurs Day.

Dismissing anything "non mainstream" and pretending to see merit in Justin Bieber or whatever in order to appear anti "hipster"... is just as pretentious and smug as being a "hipster".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Dismissing anything "non mainstream" and pretending to see merit in Justin Bieber or whatever in order to appear anti "hipster"... is just as pretentious and smug as being a "hipster".

I had to laugh at dreary old Johnny Marr "banning" David Cameron from listening to The Smiths :D

Which one is trying to be the hipster, there, I wonder?

Exactly. Although dont call my beautiful johnny dreary! :mad:

:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Exactly. Although dont call my beautiful johnny dreary! :mad:

:pac:

Sorry, I meant "dreamy" ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

joe stodge wrote: »
    Females who post pictures of themselves on Facebook wearing a pair of glasses with the caption, I'm such a nerd.

NO, NO your not. You're a whore who found a pair of glasses.

Does this happen a lot on FB? Genuinely curious! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

old hippy wrote: »
    I had to laugh at dreary old Johnny Marr

YOU TAKE THAT BACK!!!! :eek::P

I wasn't their biggest fan or anything (had to google Johnny as I only remembered Morrisey :o) but were The Smiths not huge in the 80's or thereabouts?

I just remember when my elder sister wasn't tormenting my parents by singing Madonna's "Like a Virgin" out loud (she was about 17 at the time), she was listening to The Smiths on her walkman! :pac:

Justin Bieber though? Jaysus... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

So youre saying, anti hipster aint cool, and hipster aint cool - you cant take everything away, ye have to leave something or there will be nothing left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭ShowMeTheCash

Democracy!!! People on a whole are stupid.... I say we should move to a Dictatorship!

No more, asking questions, arguing blah blah blah... Just someone going, right this is what we are doing! Deal with it! :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement