Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unpopular Opinions.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Czarcasm wrote: »
    I wasn't their biggest fan or anything (had to google Johnny as I only remembered Morrisey :o) but were The Smiths not huge in the 80's or thereabouts?

I just remember when my elder sister wasn't tormenting my parents by singing Madonna's "Like a Virgin" out loud (she was about 17 at the time), she was listening to The Smiths on her walkman! :pac:

Justin Bieber though? Jaysus... :(

The Smiths were the biggest band from Manchester in the 80s. Apart from Joy Division/New Order, The Stone Roses etc.

A lot of people didn't get them and only in later years realised that they weren't a band of misery guts and were in fact, a genius band esp with the songwriting talents of Marr/Morrissey. Best partnership since Lennon/McCartney.

It wasn't until they released their last couple of LPs that I finally realised how brilliant they were. I even liked Morrissey's early solo stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

Democracy!!! People on a whole are stupid.... I say we should move to a Dictatorship!

No more, asking questions, arguing blah blah blah... Just someone going, right this is what we are doing! Deal with it! :)

unfortunately this bit usually means a bag of quicklime and a shallow pit...

...having said that, many dictatorships end with a politician dangling from a rope, so thats nice...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

old hippy wrote: »

The Smiths were the biggest band from Manchester in the 80s. Apart from Joy Division/New Order, The Stone Roses etc.

A lot of people didn't get them and only in later years realised that they weren't a band of misery guts and were in fact, a genius band esp with the songwriting talents of Marr/Morrissey. Best partnership since Lennon/McCartney.

It wasn't until they released their last couple of LPs that I finally realised how brilliant they were. I even liked Morrissey's early solo stuff.

The Charlatans, Happy Mondays, Inspiral Carpets, Depeche Mode, do any of those bands sound familiar?

I just asked my wife there, she's into all that music, I'm more into the smashing pumpkins, radiohead, foo fighters.

Actually now there's an opinion now I think of it that might not go down well-

Nirvana were the most over-hyped ball of shìte!

(Except for the MTV Unplugged version of David Bowie's "Man who sold the world", still didn't go anywhere near the original though! :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

old hippy wrote: »

To be honest, although I'm sad that it ended the way it did with The Smiths (all the fighting and court battles and everything, a sour end to it all), I'm glad that they finished before they had time to outstay their welcome. They're one of the very few artists out there that have a pretty much perfect discography, as far as I'm concerned.

And I love the Morrissey/Marr partnership much more than Lennon/McCartney. As great as Lennon/McCartney was, there's something really special about The Smiths, for me. It's an amazing meeting of lyrics and music, where they really compliment each other and it's difficult to imagine those lyrics without Marr's guitar work and vica-versa. It was just the perfect match, and I don't think Morrissey has ever or will ever make anything as good as what he created with Johnny Marr, no matter how much he thinks he has or will. It's a shame he seems to repeatedly shun Marr's attempts at an olive branch. While I wouldn't be keen on a Smiths reunion, it would be kinda cool if they reunited onstage as a one-off or Marr appeared on a Morrissey album or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Ed Sheeran isn't good. He's really really ****ing boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Speaking of the 'Madchester' music scene Oasis weren't the working class muck savages they were made out to be in the media. Noel Gallagher had been around the block with the Inspiral Carpets and he knew the business well before he signed his first contract at 27 years of age. He produced songs which defined a section of the 90s generation, in person he's a very interesting person to listen to, very articulate.

The Roses and Smiths were also great but don't dismiss Oasis, listen to their full back catalogue before casting judgement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭neaideabh

The wire was not that good... At all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Spielberg is a horribly overrated director.

Hemingway is a horribly overrated writer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Shawshank redemtion is fvcking ****!

Speaking of the 'Madchester' music scene Oasis weren't the working class muck savages they were made out to be in the media. Noel Gallagher had been around the block with the Inspiral Carpets and he knew the business well before he signed his first contract at 27 years of age. He produced songs which defined a section of the 90s generation, in person he's a very interesting person to listen to, very articulate.

The Roses and Smiths were also great but don't dismiss Oasis, listen to their full back catalogue before casting judgement.

I have to be honest, I did just that in my earlier post! :D

My wife has their back catalog alright but I never liked their music, she considers Oasis indie, to me they were Britpop, but I feared if I said I preferred to listen to Blur in among all these music greats, I'd be told GTFO in no uncertain terms! :pac:

Does that prove or disprove MX's point? Because I didn't really understand when hippy started talking about johnny marr, the reference to the smiths threw me right off when they were a huge band at the time. I didn't know there had been a resurgence in their popularity! :o

I'm confused :(

• Advertisement

I have to be honest, I did just that in my earlier post! :D

My wife has their back catalog alright but I never liked their music, she considers Oasis indie, to me they were Britpop, but I feared if I said I preferred to listen to Blur in among all these music greats, I'd be told GTFO in no uncertain terms! :pac:

Does that prove or disprove MX's point? Because I didn't really understand when hippy started talking about johnny marr, the reference to the smiths threw me right off when they were a huge band at the time. I didn't know there had been a resurgence in their popularity! :o

I'm confused :(

You were right Oasis were Britpop, the Stone Roses released their first album via Silvertone an 'Indie label'. Music is subjective I don't want people to lie about liking a band but I do feel respect is deserved for Oasis. Unusually I found I loved everything from that period, Blur included. 'Coffee and TV' is one of my favourite songs ever.

You were right Oasis were Britpop, the Stone Roses released their first album via Silvertone an 'Indie label'. Music is subjective I don't want people to lie about liking a band but I do feel respect is deserved for Oasis. Unusually I found I loved everything from that period, Blur included. 'Coffee and TV' is one of my favourite songs ever.

Best keep that to myself- happy wife, happy life :D

*walks milk carton across the breakfast table while humming "coffee and tv"* :pac:

Brilliant video :D

Best keep that to myself- happy wife, happy life :D

*walks milk carton across the breakfast table while humming "coffee and tv"* :pac:

Brilliant video :D

Great song and vid, I'm actually watching it right now. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭neaideabh

Snowie wrote: »
    Shawshank redemtion is fvcking ****!

You're just a troll!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

People have become obsessed with documenting themselves and every little detail of their lives through facebook and twitter when the only reasons such social networking sites still exist are for stalking, bragging, venting about shít nobody cares about and allowing chicks a space to upload dozens of pictures of themselves for the aforementioned stalkers.

If I had actually gone to the bother of developing a picture of my dinner and showed it to all my friends a few years back, people would have thought that I was mentally ill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

Siuin wrote: »

If I had actually gone to the bother of developing a picture of my dinner and showed it to all my friends a few years back, people would have thought that I was mentally ill.

Well, personally, I would prefer a slideshow and/or power-point presentation of your week's dinners. You get more out of it that way.:pac:

Unpopular opinion: yes work colleagues, your children are not half as interesting as you're making them out to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

Have heard enough of Adele. Skyfall makes my ears bleed :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,432 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

When you go to school for 15 odd years and can't put 2 sentences together in Irish then you have to question Teachers wages.

Not just them but also certin other jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

neaideabh wrote: »

You're just a troll!

No I ain't it's unpopular opinions...I don't like the movie it's crap one mans struggle in prison for a crime he didn't do he breaks out and puff.

Please tell me why part of that movie is great?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Have heard enough of Adele. Skyfall makes my ears bleed :(

its the only one of her songs I like, surprised its not about James Bond dumping her :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Snowie wrote: »

No I ain't it's unpopular opinions...I don't like the movie it's crap one mans struggle in prison for a crime he didn't do he breaks out and puff.

Please tell me why part of that movie is great?

It was pretty funny when he got bummed by the sisters though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

^ I think she sounds like shes just whining...argghhh!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

When you go to school for 15 odd years and can't put 2 sentences together in Irish then you have to question Teachers wages.

I wouldn't question the wages as such. Teaching done properly is a very difficult job which requires real dedication. The good teachers deserve what they get.

I would make it a lot harder to qualify to teach, at primary and secondary level though. Too many teachers qualify without really knowing their area or how to teach and manage young people, or all of the above.
    I've met quite a few primary teachers in particular who have just been plain stupid, giving the good ones a bad name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,711 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

What you're actually saying here is that you think teachers are lazy dossers. Which, although massively unfair, is, unforunately, not an unpopular opinion.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »

What you're actually saying here is that you think teachers are lazy dossers. Which, although massively unfair, is, unforunately, not an unpopular opinion.

I don't agree with the blaming teachers altogether, but he has a point that after 15 years of schooling, we should have a high fluency of Irish.

Nearly every child hates learning it and it really needs to be looked at. I've a few primary school teacher friends and they can't even get excited about teaching it, how is a child suppose to get a desire to learn it? It's a pity, I still think it's a lovely language, although quite useless in the global scale.

• Advertisement

No, that is not what I am saying which is massively unfair to put words into people mouth, but thanks for trying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

It's that Irish is horribly, horribly taught in schools, the cirriculum is decades out of date, pigeon phrases to get you through your oral exams and looking out for words you'll recognise without knowing what the rest of the sentence means.

Irish shouldn't be compulsory, it'd be nice to know it fluently but in a global scale its useless, its spoken by a tiny percentage of a country that has less people in it than most major European cities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,711 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Rasheed wrote: »
    I don't agree with the blaming teachers altogether, but he has a point that after 15 years of schooling, we should have a high fluency of Irish.

Nearly every child hates learning it and it really needs to be looked at. I've a few primary school teacher friends and they can't even get excited about teaching it, how is a child suppose to get a desire to learn it? It's a pity, I still think it's a lovely language, although quite useless in the global scale.

It's bull****, sorry.

The probelm is the syallabus, and the fact that it puts too much priority on literature and not actually learnign how to communicate in it, as weel as social factors, such as lack of outlets.

Everything in your second paragraph points at this.

Also, if teachers wages are the problem, how do you explain the fact that most primary school kids are a lot stronger in other subjects, despite having the same tecaher?

No, that is not what I am saying which is massively unfair to put words into people mouth, but thanks for trying.

My apologies "overpaid" dossers would probably have been more accurate. If not , then you too can explain to my how primary kids manage to learn other things from the same teachers? And how reducing wages would improve standards in Irish specifically?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Today's Unpopular Opinion.

Not being allowed to talk about safes

That is all.

• Advertisement

My apologies "overpaid" dossers would probably have been more accurate. If not , then you too can explain to my how primary kids manage to learn other things from the same teachers? And how reducing wages would improve standards in Irish specifically?

Care to explain where I mentioned the word "Dosser"?

Never said that.

Stop putting words into peoples mouths. Its little immature.

Care to explain where I mentioned the word "Dosser"?

Never said that.

Stop putting words into peoples mouths. Its little immature.

You said they weren't earnign their wages, did you not? What's the difference?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Or spell in English?

Not the teachers fault - I blame the parents who don't foster or back up what's taught in school.

You said they weren't earnign their wages, did you not? What's the difference?

Its not just Irish though. In my opinion certain other subjects like English are poorly taught too.
    Or spell in English?

Not the teachers fault - I blame the parents who don't foster or back up what's taught in school.

Maybe even where to place a full stop;)

Its not just Irish though. In my opinion certain other subjects like English are poorly taught too.

Then why did you specify Irish? I put it to you that it's because Irish is failing and you thought that would make teachers look worse? (And that's not putting words into your mouth!)

The idea that you are now trying to put the blame for the alleged poor teaching of all subjects (which isn't even the case) at the teachers' door really only strengthens the idea that you think teachers are overpaid "dossers".

It's bull****, sorry.

The probelm is the syallabus, and the fact that it puts too much priority on literature and not actually learnign how to communicate in it, as weel as social factors, such as lack of outlets.

Everything in your second paragraph points at this.

Also, if teachers wages are the problem, how do you explain the fact that most primary school kids are a lot stronger in other subjects, despite having the same tecaher?

What's bullshiit?

I think the syllabus has too much emphasis on the literary side of Irish but you can't go completely to the other side either. It needs to be a happy balance. A new lease of life needs to be injected into Irish, if its going to be taught at all. This goes for both teachers and students. The days of hammering verbs into students are over.

As regarding the teachers salary, I never mentioned in my post so I don't get what point you're trying to make.

What's bullshiit?

I think the syllabus has too much emphasis on the literary side of Irish but you can't go completely to the other side either. It needs to be a happy balance. A new lease of life needs to be injected into Irish, if its going to be taught at all. This goes for both teachers and students. The days of hammering verbs into students are over.

As regarding the teachers salary, I never mentioned in my post so I don't get what point you're trying to make.

His opinion, and the idea that the teachers are to blame for failing Irish standards (your opening line).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

I wouldn't question the wages as such. Teaching done properly is a very difficult job which requires real dedication. The good teachers deserve what they get.

I would make it a lot harder to qualify to teach, at primary and secondary level though. Too many teachers qualify without really knowing their area or how to teach and manage young people, or all of the above.
    I've met quite a few primary teachers in particular who have just been plain stupid, giving the good ones a bad name.

Its going to take 5 years to get a B.ed (secondary) soon and the PDE is going to take 2 years on top of an undergraduate degree.

Then why did you specify Irish? I put it to you that it's because Irish is failing and you thought that would make teachers look worse? (And that's not putting words into your mouth!)

The idea that you are now trying to put the blame for the alleged poor teaching of all subjects (which isn't even the case) at the teachers' door really only strengthens the idea that you think teachers are overpaid "dossers".

I dont know what to say. I really dont.

You really are trying to clutch onto this "Dosser" word. Why? I dont have any idea.

I would have no problem discussing this, but you seem to be looking for argument and for that reason I am out.

and yes you still are putting words into my mouth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭space_man

poor people are poor because they are not very clever.
    i know this to be true. you only have to talk to any poor person to realise it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

space_man wrote: »

You must be poor so :(

:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭dizzywizlw

Other way around...

His opinion, and the idea that the teachers are to blame for failing Irish standards (your opening line).

My opening line is bullshiit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,118 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Define poor?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

You don't even have to talk to you to realise you're not very clever. Your ignorant attention seeking posts in various threads are confirmation enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Define poor?

Here you go
    Straight from Combat Poverty
    In Ireland, 11 basic items are used to construct the deprivation index:

Without heating at some stage in the last year
    Unable to afford a morning, afternoon or evening out in the last fortnight
    Unable to afford two pairs of strong shoes
    Unable to afford a roast once a week
    Unable to afford a meal with meat, chicken or fish every second day
    Unable to afford new (not second-hand) clothes
    Unable to afford a warm waterproof coat
    Unable to afford to keep the home adequately warm
    Unable to afford to replace any worn out furniture
    Unable to afford to have family or friends for a drink or meal once a month
    Unable to afford to buy presents for family or friends at least once a year

http://www.combatpoverty.ie/povertyinireland/measuringpoverty.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭dizzywizlw

Here's one

People who spell their name as gaelige when their birthcert is in english are pretentious twats.

I dont know what to say. I really dont.

You really are trying to clutch onto this "Dosser" word. Why? I dont have any idea.

I would have no problem discussing this, but you seem to be looking for argument and for that reason I am out.

and yes you still are putting words into my mouth.

You said overpaid and implied not doing their job. This, to me, implies dossing, but we'll agree to disagree on the word dosser and go back to the oher points you'd have "no problem discussing".

1 - In what specific way are teachers responsiible for poor standards of Irish?
    2 - You say "Englsih is also being badly taught". Can you verify this?
    3 - In what specific way are teachers responsible for poor standards of English?
    4 - Do you know how much a primary school teacher earns without having to look it up?

My opening line is bullshiit?

He doesn't have a point, his post was bull****. Not particularly you first line - sorry for the misunderstanding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

dizzywizlw wrote: »
    Here's one

People who spell their name as gaelige when their birthcert is in english are pretentious twats.
    It's supposed to be unpopular opinions :p

• Advertisement

You said overpaid and implied not doing their job. This, to me, implies dossing, but we'll agree to disagree on the word dosser and go back to the oher points you'd have "no problem discussing".

1 - In what specific way are teachers responsiible for poor standards of Irish?
    2 - You say "Englsih is also being badly taught". Can you verify this?
    3 - In what specific way are teachers responsible for poor standards of English?
    4 - Do you know how much a primary school teacher earns without having to look it up?

He doesn't have a point, his post was bull****. Not particularly you first line - sorry for the misunderstanding.

Well if my posts are BS then you obviously know it all and don't need answers.

Very immature.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement