Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unpopular Opinions.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Parents need to stop blaming teachers (obviously criticism in some circumstances is valid) and actively start helping their kids learn whether it be reading a book with them every night or checking over their homework.

Learning is not something which starts at 9.30 and stops at 3.00. It is up to parents to place a greater interest in their children's education. Intelligence is malleable and children should know this from a young age and should be encouraged for their effort. It's not a call for summer schools but it is a call for parents to at least make an effort with helping their children to learn especially at primary school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,432 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    Parents need to stop blaming teachers ([SIZE="1"]obviously criticism in some circumstances is valid[/SIZE]) and actively start helping their kids learn whether it be reading a book with them every night or checking over their homework.

Learning is not something which starts at 9.30 and stops at 3.00. It is up to parents to place a greater interest in their children's education. Intelligence is malleable and children should know this from a young age and should be encouraged for their effort. It's not a call for summer schools but it is a call for parents to at least make an effort with helping their children to learn especially at primary school.

Agree 100%

But I will say it should not be left upto the parents to pick up the pieces from bad teacher who are earning a very good wage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,711 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Well if my posts are BS then you obviously know it all and don't need answers.

Very immature.

Thought you said you would have "no problem discussing this"?

If asking you for clarficiation and elaboration of a few points you made is "immature" then what exactly passes for "discussing this" in your book?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »

Thought you said you would have "no problem discussing this"?

Where exactly is this "bad teaching" you talk of?

I have no problem discussing it with person willing to have Civilised argument so something from your posts you have not done. I was not first person either to point out that you quoted posts incorrectly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,711 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I have no problem discussing it with person willing to have Civilised argument so something from your posts you have not done. I was not first person either to point out that you quoted posts incorrectly.

I see. The use of the word dosser I explained and stand by, and called a truce over; so may I ask where you think I have been uncivilised?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

He doesn't have a point, his post was bull****. Not particularly you first line - sorry for the misunderstanding.

I still think he raised a good question. Nothing to do with teachers salary or any of that craic, more the level of Irish most students have. I don't agree that it's the teachers fault, how can 90% of teachers be bad at teaching this specific subject?

I think it's ridiculous that after 15 years of school, how many hours dedicated to Irish, that most [\I] people have an incredibly poor level of Irish.

My anecdotal evidence, for all it's worth, is people are much more comfortable and enjoy their European language choice that they only learned for 5 years. That indicates are serious problem for me and I think the way Irish is taught, not the teachers fault, but everything about the teaching of Irish needs to be overhauled. The 'fun' side of learning a language needs to be brought in, not the ramming of words and phrases.

After 15 years, we should be able to translate Ulysses into Irish!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 97 ✭✭Jazzmaster

Noone involved with the GAA should be allowed to use the word "guy". If you want to use it then f off and play rugby.

Rasheed wrote: »
    I still think he raised a good question. Nothing to do with teachers salary or any of that craic, more the level of Irish most students have. I don't agree that it's the teachers fault, how can 90% of teachers be bad at teaching this specific subject?

Why is it this specific subject, though? Why, if the teachers are to blame, are they ablet oteach every other subject perfectly okay?

That is the only problem I had with his post: he wasn't commenting on the state of the language, he was attacking teachers. Proven by the fact that he later said English was also taught badly and yet being completely unable to say why. Blaming this on teachers' salaries is bull****.

Everything else in your post I agree with.

Why is it this specific subject, though?

That is the only problem I had with his post: he wasn't commenting on the state of the language, he was attacking teachers. Proven by the fact that he later said English was also taught badly and yet being completely unable to say why. Blaming this on teachers' salaries is bull****.

Everything else in your post I agree with.

I'm honestly baffled at the the level of Irish with most students and I'm putting myself in that category too, since so much time goes into teaching it. No other subject seems to produce as much hatred when learning it! I talked many times with my teacher friends regarding it and they can't answer it either.

It's just a pity, I do think it's lovely to be able to speak/ read it.

I'm honestly baffled at the the level of Irish with most students and I'm putting myself in that category too, since so much time goes into teaching it. No other subject seems to produce as much hatred when learning it! I talked many times with my teacher friends regarding it and they can't answer it either.

It's just a pity, I do think it's lovely to be able to speak/ read it.

Can't stand it meself, but that's neitehr here nor there :D.

There are two probelms
    1 - The syllabus. It's not really geared towards learning to speak a language, it's more of a subject that is used to pass tests.
    2- Society. Kids simply don't have enough of an outlet outside of school to use it and therefore they see it as useless. The use maths, they use English, the even use geogrpahy and history every now and again, but rarely if ever Irish.

• Advertisement

There are two probelms
    1 - The syllabus. It's not really geared towards learning to speak a language, it's more of a subject that is used to pass tests.
    2- Society. Kids simply don't have enough of an outlet outside of school to use it and therefore they see it as useless. The use maths, they use English, the even use geogrpahy and history every now and again, but rarely if ever Irish.

Definitely agree with the syllabus being at fault and that the only plus people see in Irish is points in the leaving and the society with having no place to be encouraged to speak it.

I don't know about the useless part, yes it's useless on a global scale but I haven't used geometry or a lot of that kind of blasted maths in my every day life!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

There are two probelms
    It's also crazy that you have to have it to access certain courses. Why on earth is it necessary to have Leaving Cert Irish to do an engineering course which is basically maths and science? :confused:

Definitely agree with the syllabus being at fault and that the only plus people see in Irish is points in the leaving and the society with having no place to be encouraged to speak it.

I don't know about the useless part, yes it's useless on a global scale but I haven't used geometry or a lot of that kind of blasted maths in my every day life!

Ah, now, I never said it was useless - I said primary school kids see it as useless! It's all very well having this debate with me, but how do you convince a 10-year-old kid that it has value outsiee of the classeoom?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭dizzywizlw

Parents need to stop blaming teachers (obviously criticism in some circumstances is valid) and actively start helping their kids learn whether it be reading a book with them every night or checking over their homework.

From my experience (as one who was read to and encouraged as a child) learning rarely starts at 9 and runs until 3

I can name on one hand the number of non incompetent teacher at my old schools of 40+ teachers. Parents aren't doing their jobs true enough in many cases but teachers and the syllabus are utter ****. Look at French and German ffs and compare it with European learning of English or indeed maths, chemistry, history.

Talking about firing lazy civil/public servants, cast an eye on the DOE first.

If I dont do my job right in the morning then I get sacked. I dont get a year to prove myself. I dont see why teachers should not get same treatment.

I had a German teacher for 5th and 6th year who basically had more interest in talking about the Soaps on the night before and dont get me started on the amount of times she came in with Hangover. How I did Higher Level Paper was not down to her and in fairness I cant go asking my Dad or Mother to teach me when they have no word of it. 10+ years on and she is still there.

Blame Parents if Children are not doing homework or being lazy, but you cant expect them to do something that they cant do and if teacher cant do it in first place.

Ah, now, I never said it was useless - I said primary school kids see it as useless! It's all very well having this debate with me, but how do you convince a 10-year-old kid that it has value outsiee of the classeoom?

Very hard. Again the syllabus needs to be looked at I suppose, to make it fun rather than 'you have to learn this amount of verbs' and as you said, that they'd be able to converse in it rather than just be able to write about 'scamall sa spéir' and 'thit mé as mo róthar' that seem to be in every essay and letter I wrote in primary and secondary!

If I dont do my job right in the morning then I get sacked. I dont get a year to prove myself. I dont see why teachers should not get same treatment.

They do. You make it a lot simpler than it actually is also. If you don't do your job in the morning you will get a warning. If you do it repeatedly you will be sacked. Teachers face the same consequences and it is one of the reasons the Teaching Council was set up for.

Schooling has changed massively, and currently is undergoing a huge change, since the majority of people who posts on boards went to school. There seems however to be a discord in the communication of these changes and people same to be applying the same standards of a bygone age.

dizzywizlw wrote: »
    From my experience (as one who was read to and encouraged as a child) learning rarely starts at 9 and runs until 3

I can name on one hand the number of non incompetent teacher at my old schools of 40+ teachers.

You must have had a lot of teachers during secondary school if you know all their teaching capabilities.

You must have had a lot of teachers during secondary school if you know all their teaching capabilities.

Had 15 different on junior cycle 10 in transition year and 5 different in senior cycle.

I would call that a statistically sound sample.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 62 ✭✭mewithoutyou

I really hate when people shun me when I describe black people as being black. A black person is a black person, end of. This isn't racist it is simply just stating the obvious.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Hating the current government involves little to no thought, it's just a "Durrrr... they're in power, we must be hostile to them" kinda thing. All these calls for a decent government (by people not doing an iota themselves) - no matter who's in government, there'll be the same hostility to them. Rebellious teenager mindset. And if you challenge this lack of thought, you're automatically a FG supporter. Well I'm not, and never have been. What do the naysayers suggest? Nothing. Because they always expect other people to suggest alternatives. They moan about "the Irish" being apathetic, oblivious to the irony of them being part of that very group they decry.

The current government was handed a basketcase (much of it caused by ordinary people), the problems stem from before they entered government, but it's so easy just to whinge...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

Ryanair should be heralded as Ireland greatest success story. I fly with them 6-8 times a year as does my girlfriend and neither of us has ever had a complaint to make.

The reason for this is realising there are rules in place when flying Ryanair that must be followed. The majority if not all complaints people make surround mistakes that the passenger themselves have made.

It bugs me beyond belief that people complain about Ryanair constantly in what must be a monkey see monkey do way as a typical nation of begrudgers.

This ladies and gentlemen is my unpopular opinion, one I know is shared by a lot more people than will admit it.

There are merits to the Ryanair business model, but in some people's opinions (people who are not begrudgers and not the types to blame everyone else but themselves) it has its flaws too.

Another unpopular opinion:

Calling Ireland a "nation of begrudgers" is lazy and unfair and a lie. Naturally those who say it (usually Irish people) aren't including themselves.

Madam_X wrote: »
    There are merits to the Ryanair business model, but in some people's opinions (people who are not begrudgers and not the types to blame everyone else but themselves) it has its flaws too.

Another unpopular opinion:

Calling Ireland a "nation of begrudgers" is lazy and unfair and a lie. Naturally those who say it (usually Irish people) aren't including themselves.

well I've had a vast amount of arguments with people giving out about ryanair, and every single time it starts with, i was only 5 minutes late or ends with and they forced me to check the bag because it wouldnt fit...

imo there are many people who simply enjoy having a good complain about something that they believe everyone else wants to complain about.

i'd be very surprised to hear of a vast quantity of complaints against ryanair for something that was within their control...sure ive had a flight delayed...but sure every airline does that. the vast amount of complaint come from issues which are the customers own fault.

El Spearo wrote: »
    imo there are many people who simply enjoy having a good complain about something that they believe everyone else wants to complain about.
    I agree with that. E.g. those complaints on Facebook to a company's page with thousands of drones liking it without having a clue of the full story, when it could well be the fault of the customer themselves, as well as being not entirely true. But you just get all these sheep seeing a complaint and jumping on the bandwagon, because they enjoy moaning and heckling basically.

I think sometimes though, Ryanair abuses its "no nonsense" policy. It's not in a company's interest to be completely inflexible.

well I've had a vast amount of arguments with people giving out about ryanair, and every single time it starts with, i was only 5 minutes late or ends with and they forced me to check the bag because it wouldnt fit...

i'd be very surprised to hear of a vast quantity of complaints against ryanair for something that was within their control...sure ive had a flight delayed...but sure every airline does that. the vast amount of complaint come from issues which are the customers own fault.

"They NEVER told me I had to print of my own boarding pass" followed by, "why doee it cost 40 euro to print off one peice of paper?!"

No idea, but thank you for subsidising the cost of my flight :).

I think sometimes though, Ryanair abuses its "no nonsense" policy. It's not in a company's interest to be completely inflexible.

well it works well for them. and when i hear someone say i would never fly ryanair again etc. a part of me says thank god, one less complainer.

like they think they have conquered ryanair by spending more on flights...like i realise my opinions are ridiculously strong, to the point where i have actually developed brand loyalty towards ryanair.

anyway, just wanted to get this off my chest because it really really bugs me! figured this thread was the place. :P

its even got my into verbal fights with family members because i follow the ryanair approach of 'yes, but technically you were in the wrong'

im sure someday i will be in the wrong myself, and on that day i will blame myself and not ruin some poor persons day in the airport.

i can only imagine how much of ryanair staffs 'bad attitude' comes from customers being a holes.

well it works well for them. and when i hear someone say i would never fly ryanair again etc. a part of me says thank god, one less complainer.

like they think they have conquered ryanair by spending more on flights...like i realise my opinions are ridiculously strong, to the point where i have actually developed brand loyalty towards ryanair.

anyway, just wanted to get this off my chest because it really really bugs me! figured this thread was the place. :P

Every airline has a certain standard of poor delays etc but when it happens Ryanair they get the usual crap cause it's seen as a joke of airline.

It ain't and far from it but people want to grumble about something.

The prices of Trains and standard of fares are far worse then any airline but few have said anything on this.

• Advertisement

Every airline has a certain standard of poor delays etc but when it happens Ryanair they get the usual crap cause it's seen as a joke of airline.

It ain't and far from it but people want to grumble about something.

The prices of Trains and standard of fares are far worse then any airline but few have said anything on this.

another thing ive noticed is people complaining about the cleanliness factor...ryanair are considerably cleaner than any other transport ive taken, and thats not factoring in the fact they are undergoing extremely heavy usage.

also i think that a mars muffin and pringles for €4 was a good price :P

Any of ye ryanair lovers have been stranded in an airport because ryanair cancelled your flight?
    I have. They stranded me and 200 others in the middle of France. Plane never took off and only 60 lucky people had the opportunity to get a free flight to Liverpool (IN ENGLAND...WHEN THE CUSTOMERS DEPARTED SHANNON!)
    no compensation was given because apparenty it was too wet for our plane to land..therefore "out of their control"
    The other people who didn't fly to Liverpool either got a train to Paris to fly from there or waited a few days for the next flight home.

All costs, incl hotel stays and taxi transfers were borne by the customers because they didn't pay for ryanair insurance. We were lucky enough to have holiday insurance which we claimed some of the expenses back

Any of ye ryanair lovers have been stranded in an airport because ryanair cancelled your flight?
    I have. They stranded me and 200 others in the middle of France. Plane never took off and only 60 lucky people had the opportunity to get a free flight to Liverpool (IN ENGLAND...WHEN THE CUSTOMERS DEPARTED SHANNON!)
    no compensation was given because apparenty it was too wet for our plane to land..thrrefore "out of their control"
    The other people who didn't fly to Liverpool either got a train to Paris to fly from there or waited a few days for the next flight home. All costs were borne by the customers because they didn't pay for ryanair insurance.

and i can guarentee somewhere in there people were complaining with redrage missing their chance to simplify the situation. again the example i want to give is that this is one case...how many times have you flown with them? the shear volume of ryanair flights versus complaints i would imagine is very very very good.

I've flown probably upwards of 25-30 times and the worst thing to every happen was i forgot that i had apple juice in my bag one time so the air port security took it off me...actually thats not ryanair that security...and my own fault....the worst thing was they didnt have steps at the back of the plane..though thats probably the airports fault.

bezka wrote: »
    no compensation was given because apparenty it was too wet for our plane to land..thrrefore "out of their control"
    The other people who didn't fly to Liverpool either got a train to Paris to fly from there or waited a few days for the next flight home. All costs were borne by the customers because they didn't pay for ryanair insurance.

I have but I have also been stranded with about 15 others then again I had a job for 2 years where I travelled world so I saw good bad and ugly and Plane dependent.

and my final large point to make is the safety record. Ryanairs business plan means they upgrade their planes more than anyone...so the next time you worry about not making a landing when its too wet, maybe be happy they had the sense to avoid 'get it there' syndrome.

and i can guarentee somewhere in there people were complaining with redrage missing their chance to simplify the situation. again the example i want to give is that this is one case...how many times have you flown with them? the shear volume of ryanair flights versus complaints i would imagine is very very very good.

I've done 2 successful return flights plus the half one I've already mentioned.
    I get the point your making about people getting punished for being ignorant of the rules. Honestly though, we had followed all these little rules. Ryanair were just being obnoxious and that is why I can feel sympathy for people when their flight goes arseways completely due to ryanair.

The week after we got home other people on the flight were on Today FM ranting about it. It was a genuine case were it was ryanairs fault.

Saying that though, they are a company I admire for the reasons you have mentioned. You just really gave to be in a situation were they treat you like crap to understand.

• Advertisement

and my final large point to make is the safety record. Ryanairs business plan means they upgrade their planes more than anyone...so the next time you worry about not making a landing when its too wet, maybe be happy they had the sense to avoid 'get it there' syndrome.

If I could thank twice.

I remember flying into Tbilisi airport in Georgia and wondered how I did not end up a statistic one time.

I have felt uncomfortable on many airlines and no flight involved Ryanair.

I understand there have been horror stories, but i guess what I want to do it publicise the better stuff. Me and my girlfriend of over two years couldnt be only for ryanair fly to every single place we need to be to see each other (were long distance).

When people complain over not printing their boarding pass, or give the attendants crap over their handbag not being a bag which it is, and i owe ryanair so much, it infuriates me.

I understand they obviously do have a few situations they've let people down but being honest, againt when weighed up against the shear volume of passengers they carry...some of the crap they get is totally unjustified...like have you seen the websites and books against them...its farcical.

Their baggage policy is an utter piss take, end of.

Mrs Browns Boys is for retards.

Their baggage policy is an utter piss take, end of. pretty much the same as everyone else's by this stage.

Agreed on both counts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

All costs, incl hotel stays and taxi transfers were borne by the customers because they didn't pay for ryanair insurance. We were lucky enough to have holiday insurance which we claimed some of the expenses back

So you didn't buy insurance but Ryanair should pay anyway? If they started paying for this stuff people would take the piss. They should be forced to give each passenger a maximum of 50-60 euro per night, after that you're on your own. The people that moan about this are usually the types that will spend the night in a 5 star hotel after getting a taxi, when there's probably very good public transport, and try charge it all to the airline. Wasn't Ryanair's fault a volcano in Iceland went off, why should they be fleeced because of it?

• Advertisement

Their baggage policy is an utter piss take, end of.

I'm begging you to elaborate.

Brother in law said it very well lately...

you wanna get from A to B in comfort and even a little help with your bags, you get a taxi and pay for it.

you wanna get from A to B on a shoe string, you take the bus.

Competitors vs Ryanair.

Not picking on you dizzy, but I really wish people would stop saying 'retard'.
    It's a horrible offensive term.

Not picking on you dizzy, but I really wish people would stop saying 'retard'.
    It's a horrible offensive term.

i was going to second that until i realised i couldnt go a day without saying it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Words are only offensive if you decide to take offense to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Nonsense.

First of all, offense is a feeling. Unless you're feigning it for some reason, you don't choose to feel it.

Second, the extreme post-structuralist approach some users take to words, that they have no inherent meaning, and each individual applies their own meaning to words, is a bit ridiculous, and I strongly suspect it's only adopted to excuse acting the d*ck.
    The meanings of words are flexible of course, but most meanings are agreed upon over long periods of time, and certain words accrue negative meanings a person can't fail to know.
    It's therefore very easy to almost always choose a less-offensive term, particularly given the huge vocabulary of English.

Why don't you go to an area with lots of black residents and start throwing around the word "ni**ger?" I'm sure people will stop being upset once you explain to them that they're only choosing to be offended by a perfectly innocuous word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

2 and a half men is absolutely brutal. Not a bit funny.
    The only time Brendan Grace was ever funny was in Fr. Ted. He has been doing the same stupid 'jokes' for the last 30 years.
    The Irish version of Family Fortunes is the most cringey show I've ever seen.
    That Westlife fella on The Voice has a head that id never get tired of punching. How is he a credible artist? He's a backing singer in cover version group who makes the tea and buys the biscuits when the group are on tour.
    Hardcore Apple v Android fans need to cop on and get a life. Come on lads, it's a phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

MJ23 wrote: »

Hardcore Apple v Android fans need to cop on and get a life. Come on lads, it's a phone.
    Android is not actually a phone, just sayin

Bollox. It you said any other 'offensive' word e.g. N*gg*r or knacker, when referring to travellers, you'd be ate alive here. And there are about five more words pertaining to race or sections of society that would have you banned if you dare type them. Or fūcked from a height by many posters.

But people can say retard, spastic, handicap all they like. And it drives me fūcking crazy. They are offensive and most people know that. If you don't, and someone gives you a gentle reminder and you still use them, you're pure ignorant. I know they weren't seen as a big issue in times gone by, but they are now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,715 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Hating the current government involves little to no thought, it's just a "Durrrr... they're in power, we must be hostile to them" kinda thing. All these calls for a decent government (by people not doing an iota themselves) - no matter who's in government, there'll be the same hostility to them. Rebellious teenager mindset. And if you challenge this lack of thought, you're automatically a FG supporter. Well I'm not, and never have been. What do the naysayers suggest? Nothing. Because they always expect other people to suggest alternatives. They moan about "the Irish" being apathetic, oblivious to the irony of them being part of that very group they decry.

The current government was handed a basketcase (much of it caused by ordinary people), the problems stem from before they entered government, but it's so easy just to whinge...

I think it has something to do with the fact that people on between 100 and 200 k are finding new ways to tax people on low and middle incomes.

If they showed example and cut their own wages then people would be more willing to put their shoulder to the wheel and get us all out of this mess we are in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Android is not actually a phone, just sayin

It's a Linux-based operating system designed primarily for touchscreen mobile devices such as smartphones and tablet computers

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement