Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unpopular Opinions.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Suas11 wrote: »
    He was in the books.
    No he is not. The only elves mentioned as individuals are the Elven King, the Captain of the Guards and the Butler and they aren't even given names in The Hobbit book. All the rest are just "elves" doing stuff like feasting, rafting and eventually fighting. Of course it is reasonable to expect the son of the elven king to be present during the period the Hobbit is set so I can see why Jackson included him. The whole Tauriel thing however, I just......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

homershoutingatnerd.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

No he is not. The only elves mentioned as individuals are the Elven King, the Captain of the Guards and the Butler and they aren't even given names in The Hobbit book. All the rest are just "elves" doing stuff like feasting, rafting and eventually fighting. Of course it is reasonable to expect the son of the elven king to be present during the period the Hobbit is set so I can see why Jackson included him. The whole Tauriel thing however, I just......

I was in primary school when I read the hobbit so can't remember a lot of it but Tauriel wasn't in it right? Pointless love interest between 2 people that's as likely as Gandalf and Smaug

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

I was in primary school when I read the hobbit so can't remember a lot of it but Tauriel wasn't in it right? Pointless love interest between 2 people that's as likely as Gandalf and Smaug

Smaug is gay?!? :eek: :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

I thought smaug was a place. Shows how much attention I paid to that film :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

All this back and forth reminds me of Clerks 2. :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKbyWSwd7hk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

There's really not that much difference between Lyons and Barrys tea.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Dolbert wrote: »

I agree. Also, I struggle to taste the difference between Coke and Pepsi. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Dolbert wrote: »
    Wilberto wrote: »
    I agree. Also, I struggle to taste the difference between Coke and Pepsi. :eek:
    What is wrong with you people? Next you'll be telling me that there's no difference between Chef and Heinz tomato sauce :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

There's a huge difference between coke and pepsi! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

If your phone is not set to silent in general public the ringtone is going to make you look like a fupping Muppet to everyone else if it is left ring for more than 5.00 seconds. Well I say so myself.

Links234 wrote: »
    There's a huge difference between coke and pepsi! :eek:
    The same applies to Fanta and Club Orange

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Don't get me started on pubs/bars that don't stock Lucozade. Then they try to pawn that cheap-ass Club Energise bollocks off on you. Stick it where the sun don't shine, Pedro..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

UFC is shíte. People paid a bloody fortune to go in and watch that, and the main fight was over in like 2 minutes. For jaysus sake. I stuck it on the telly out of interest.

Fúck that. Give me a good, old fashioned boxing match any day of the week.

UFC is bullshít.

EDIT: also, to add this. That Brazilian that McGregor was fighting couldn't kick snow off a rope. So was a bit pointless, to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

DazMarz wrote: »
    UFC is shíte. People paid a bloody fortune to go in and watch that, and the main fight was over in like 2 minutes. For jaysus sake. I stuck it on the telly out of interest.

UFC is bullshít.

Boxing can be over that quickly as well. There was an undercard, so the crowd did get to see a bit of action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

For me, its rocket science how there are still people who don't support LBGT rights. To say a gay person shouldn't be allowed love or have children (by adoption or however artificial means) is like saying an individual with Asperger's shouldn't be allowed to own a house. Its a denial of basic human rights based on unchangeable characteristics.

Part of the reason our world is so interesting is because of the intricacies of humanity, and the fact it fosters all kinds, different sexualities, different abilities and talents, different skin colors, the list is endless. And I say all this as a straight man, the less homogeneous life is, the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

karaokeman wrote: »
    For me, its rocket science how there are still people who don't support LBGT rights. To say a gay person shouldn't be allowed love or have children (by adoption or however artificial means) is like saying an individual with Asperger's shouldn't be allowed to own a house. Its a denial of basic human rights based on unchangeable characteristics.

Part of the reason our world is so interesting is because of the intricacies of humanity, and the fact it fosters all kinds, different sexualities, different abilities and talents, different skin colors, the list is endless. And I say all this as a straight man, the less homogeneous life is, the better.

You couldn't have picked a worse analogy. At the moment in Ireland there are a number of laws affecting people with intellectual disabilities, but there is a Bill recently published by the Oireachtas which still denies people with intellectual disabilities their basic human rights -

"Assisted Decision-Making (Capacity) Bill 2013"

In the definition of ‘capacity’ provided in section 3 of the Bill, if a person is found to lack mental capacity, based on a functional assessment, this can be used as a basis for denying her legal capacity (ultimately through the appointment of others to make decisions on her behalf). In effect, decisions made by a person who lacks ‘mental capacity’ will not have legal force in the same way that a decision (such as to marry, to enter into a contract, to consent or refuse medical treatment) that a person who is deemed to have mental capacity will be respected by the law.

This appears to exempt a large portion of existing laws from the impact of new Bill – which is disappointing, as many of these existing laws apply more restrictive approaches to capacity which would not be compliant with Article 12 of the UN Convention. One particular concern is section 5 of the Criminal Law (Sexual Offences) Act 1993, which in effect, criminalises sexual intercourse with a person with ‘mentally impaired’ persons – regardless of whether or not the person gave free and informed consent. While it may not be possible to address all the many areas of law which touch upon legal capacity in the present Bill, it would be important for government to commit to a process of reforming these crucial areas – especially since Article 12 of the UN Convention makes clear that persons must enjoy legal capacity ‘in all areas of life.’

Source: Human Rights Ireland

Effectively, not only are people on the ASD spectrum denied the right to own property, they are also denied the right to a healthy and fulfilling sex life. Even LGBT persons aren't denied those rights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

Czarcasm wrote: »
    You couldn't have picked a worse analogy. At the moment in Ireland there are a number of laws affecting people with intellectual disabilities, but there is a Bill recently published by the Oireachtas which still denies people with intellectual disabilities their basic human rights -

Effectively, not only are people on the ASD spectrum denied the right to own property, they are also denied the right to a healthy and fulfilling sex life. Even LGBT persons aren't denied those rights.

I have Aspergers and my girlfriend is pregnant are we going to jail?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

GrayFox208 wrote: »
    I have Aspergers and my girlfriend is pregnant are we going to jail?

I don't make the laws, but I hope you'll understand when I say I'm in no position to comment on your personal circumstances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Czarcasm wrote: »

Sure, the law might be in place but that doesn't make it justified. 95% of people I know agree that people on the Autistic spectrum should be granted those rights assuming they have proven themselves capable of all duties associated with possessing those assets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

There's still hope for Mayo GAA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

UFC is bullshít.
    You might be in the minority as it as overtaken boxing in popularity, but I agree. Too many sort fights, what they need is some of those boxing fights that just went on...

...and on...

...and on...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYZ2DV4kizU

And slag the Brazilian fella all you want, but barely a boxer in the world in is weight class would stand a chance against him. Far wider skillsets involved in MMA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

I like The Sims 3 :mad::mad::mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

UFC is bullshít.

EDIT: also, to add this. That Brazilian that McGregor was fighting couldn't kick snow off a rope. So was a bit pointless, to be fair.

Boxing is great if you want to watch someone get brain damage in real time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

I can't understand the obsession with Lance Armstrong's doping compared to every other cyclist who lied and took banned substances. Other Tour De France winners were caught and they kept their wins, why is he different? Surely it should be all or none really. EPO boosts performance by roughly 5% so clearly he was a good cyclist without it too (not condoning drug taking for one second by the way). I just don't think he should be singled out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    I can't understand the obsession with Lance Armstrong's doping compared to every other cyclist who lied and took banned substances. Other Tour De France winners were caught and they kept their wins, why is he different? Surely it should be all or none really. EPO boosts performance by roughly 5% so clearly he was a good cyclist without it too (not condoning drug taking for one second by the way). I just don't think he should be singled out.
    because he ruined peoples lives and hid behind his cancer charity

he was a total cúnt

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/gil-laroya/understanding-how-bad-lan_b_2513561.html

because he ruined peoples lives and hid behind his cancer charity

he was a total cúnt

I am not disputing for one second he's a cúnt for what he did to people. But professionally, why would the UCI take just his wins when others did it too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

I am not disputing for one second he's a cúnt for what he did to people. But professionally, why would the UCI take just his wins when others did it too?
    but others have had there TDF wins taken away too, as recently as 4 years ago - Alberto Contador

but others have had there TDF wins taken away too, as recently as 4 years ago - Alberto Contador
    And yet he was riding this year again. Lance was banned outright. I am not a Lance fan, I just have noticed this the more my partner watches more cycling events.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

UFC is bullshít.

If it's Utah Fried Chicken you're talking about, I would disagree completely, it's actually much nicer than the Kentucky stuff, and the batter isn't as greasy.Their chips aren't great though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

EPO boosts performance by roughly 5% so clearly he was a good cyclist without it too (not condoning drug taking for one second by the way). I just don't think he should be singled out.

I think I heard someone say the difference between middle of the pack and finishing first in the TdF is the edge you get from that 5%. Yes you still have to train to get into the over 6W/kg range that elite cyclists are at but that 5% is what keeps the stamina up and outlast the other competitors.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Joe prim wrote: »
    If it's Utah Fried Chicken you're talking about, I would disagree completely, it's actually much nicer than the Kentucky stuff, and the batter isn't as greasy.Their chips aren't great though.

Even taking the extra cost into account? Utah Fried Chicken is a little moremoney.

I think I heard someone say the difference between middle of the pack and finishing first in the TdF is the edge you get from that 5%. Yes you still have to train to get into the over 6W/kg range that elite cyclists are at but that 5% is what keeps the stamina up and outlast the other competitors.

But they were all on it or something similar. But not my point, my point was the specific attack on one guy as opposed to throughout the sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

But they were all on it or something similar. But not my point, my point was the specific attack on one guy as opposed to throughout the sport.

I'd imagine was his extraordinarily high profile - how many cyclists are known to people outside of cycling fans? - and his ability to destroy people's reputations and his bully boy tactics with journalists and others on his team when he was at the peak of his career meant he was going to come crashing down when people started to find out the truth. There's something fascinating when you see someone who was held us an inspiration and a hero and their mask slips and you find out they were actually a total geebag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

It was his systematic abuse, bullying of fellow cyclists and anyone who questioned him, being a ringleader of the doping culture in cycling, etc. that brought it about. Saying he was unfairly singled out is overlooking the major salient points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

The crispy bits in Leo Burdocks chips are massively over rated. I'd rather go without them.

Lately a good many boardsies’ posts quote from other posters all the time nearly in every post they make. I do this too, but don't overdo it. I'd be too much of a stuck up self opinionated snark if I did overdo it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,908 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Messi was disappointing in the world cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Awkward Badger

I think chocolate ice cream is horrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

I like the new numbering system of trivial things that annoy you...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

The internet was a lot better before working class people started using it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

I think David Icke is right about pretty much everything.

sabat wrote: »
    The internet was a lot better before working class people started using it.
    And there was only blue collar class and white collar class of worker. Now largely because of the internet the yellow collar class has emerged! ;D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

Eva Mendes is not attractive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I think David Icke is right about pretty much everything.
    Especially the lizard-people ;)

Links234 wrote: »
    Especially the lizard-people ;)

Well, just look at the queen. There's no way that is fully human.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Militant atheist types, they scrape their little hooves and blame all society's problems on religion, specifically the CC. The Irish kind are usually Baptised and confirmed, full made members who can never truly leave. LMAO....:pac:

If it wasn't for the CC they'd still be picking spuds out of a field, you think the Free State could have afforded to have ran an independent education system. First in the family to go to college, turn full on Leftie :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

I think that western countries intervening in wars far from their borders are absolutely fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

The Master wrote: »
    Eva Mendes is not attractive

Rihanna is rotten looking too.

• Advertisement

I think Brad Pitt is really ugly. Even when he was young he was a minger but he looks even worse now. I wouldn't touch that with a ten-foot bargepole. I'm female btw.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement