Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unpopular Opinions.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Wolf Club wrote: »
    Billions for who?

Denis O'Brien

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

I'm a bit suspicious of that Santa Claus fellow who allegedly brings presents every year. But whose money is buying them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Christmas day is easily the most boring day of the year.

You're doing it wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Venus In Furs

Most opinions to what I've seen of this thread don't seem to be unpopular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

I can't sympathize with the people who moan on tv that social housing is not available for them, and rents are too high, and who reach the point where they might become homeless.
    If they are unemployed then they have no ties that justify putting your kids through that ordeal : just move out of the big town, to a more rural area with accommodation and cheaper rents.

There are other people displaced in the world with tougher stories to tell than having to move a few hundred kilometers away from your family or the area you like and know.

I can't sympathize with the people who moan on tv that social housing is not available for them, and rents are too high, and who reach the point where they might become homeless.
    If they are unemployed then they have no ties that justify putting your kids through that ordeal : just move out of the big town, to a more rural area with accommodation and cheaper rents.

There are other people displaced in the world with tougher stories to tell than having to move a few hundred kilometers away from your family or the area you like and know.

Probably not an unpopular opinion on After Hours.

I may be wrong, but it seems to me that most of the people "moaning on" about high rents sparked by the lack of social housing are those who are in work?

There was a social housing project - run by volunteers - back in the 1980s/90s bringing workless families from places like Ballymun to rural areas, mostly in South Clare. At the time, the organisers said that one family on the dole was worth €2,000 a year (multiply that by 10 at least for today's figures) to a rural community. Some village schools were saved from closure by the strategic import of a couple of city families. It would be an interesting project for a journalist now to go and hunt out a couple of those families, see what happened. I know that a lot returned to Dublin in the Tiger days.

Oh, and another unpopular opinion from me: I hate the use of terms like "moan on", "whinge", "brigade", "sheeple", "feminazis", grammar nazis", "Shinners", "Blueshirts", etc - those distancing terms that dehumanise people who think differently from you, and belittle their concerns.

Substitute moan for "complain" so in my post. That's a bit less judgemental.

To be brutally honest though, belittling their concerns is exactly my point. Their concerns should be belittled imo : having to move to a location more suited to your needs for the sake of your family is not a big deal.

The people whose story I have read/heard about were indeed unemployed.
    People with employment have a good reason to remain in the same spot obviously.

Substitute moan for "complain" so in my post. That's a bit less judgemental.

To be brutally honest though, belittling their concerns is exactly my point. Their concerns should be belittled imo : having to move to a location more suited to your needs for the sake of your family is not a big deal.

Mm. People who are unemployed generally hope not to be; to move to Ballydehob will not increase their chances of gainful employment.

Sometimes it's good to live someone else's life before contributing your wisdom on what they should do to solve problems you haven't yet experienced…

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Well you're an broad-minded, understanding, friendly and non-judgmental humanist, aren't you miss Thacther?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Oh, and another unpopular opinion from me: I hate the use of terms like "moan on", "whinge", "brigade", "sheeple", "feminazis", grammar nazis", "Shinners", "Blueshirts", etc - those distancing terms that dehumanise people who think differently from you, and belittle their concerns.

Plus to the one.

'Sheeple' is the most annoying as it is so very supercilious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

newmug wrote: »
    I think competition is a bad thing. Controlled competition is ok, but generally speaking, competition guarantees that the weakest will always lose.

Trouble with controlled competition and Ireland it results in, he who give most to FF wins

Moving to a more rural location would likely necessitate the purchase of a car. That and the cost of running the car would negate any savings made on lower provincial rents.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

I think that the present public service pension contributions are scandalous.

The government should bring in a system for all new entrants whereby public servants pay the full rate PRSI (the same as everyone else) - this will entitle them to an old age pension, same as everyone else.

After that you are on your own. If you want a better pension you buy it yourself, same as everyone else.
    It shouldn't be linked to years service or final salary.

This would save the government a fortune.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

I can't see much difference between drag acts and minstrels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

People who don't understand the word 'unpopular' should all be euthanised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I can't see much difference between drag acts and minstrels.

Nor should you, they come from the exact same school of entertainment. Men dressed in drag as women were prohibited from taking to the stage. White people went in blackface as there weren't enough or any black people around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I ****ing LOOOOVE Christmas! :D it's awesome! I love mince pies, turkey & stuffing, Christmas pudding, oh and those mother****ing Danish butter cookies are like cocaine they're so awesome, I love love love this time of year. Screw all of you, THIS is unpopular! :D

Probably not an unpopular opinion on After Hours.

It seems I have posted this opinion in the right thread and place after all ;)
    Mm. People who are unemployed generally hope not to be; to move to Ballydehob will not increase their chances of gainful employment.

Sometimes it's good to live someone else's life before contributing your wisdom on what they should do to solve problems you haven't yet experienced…

By rural I meant "out of Dublin", not necessarily Ballydabacko'nowhere, I should have said "provincial".

Clonmel, Waterford, Kilkenny, Carlow, and these are just the towns I'm closer to, all have jobs going, and as the economy in the capital picks up, so does it in the provinces. These towns have accommodation available, within reach of jobs and schools.

All of the testimonials I have seen on the news are of people living in the capital or its suburbs.

Social housing is available elsewhere, jobs are available elsewhere.
    It should really be a no brainer.

I uprooted from France to live in Ireland, so I have an idea. When I was small, back in France, we moved 5 times from my kindergarten to Secondary school years. We simply went where the work was, or where it was possible to live (more) comfortably. The moves mustn't have been easy for my parents, but they just got on with it. Us children didn't always like it, but we weren't traumatised either.

So.
    Going homeless, or going for affordable housing in Dungarvan/Waterford/Clonmel/Kilkenny... what's the best option for one's family ?

http://www.daft.ie/lettings/23-boithrin-an-mhuillin-dungarvan-waterford/1493673/

http://www.daft.ie/lettings/6-cois-mara-davitts-quay-dungarvan-waterford/1504207/

http://www.daft.ie/lettings/alexandra-street-waterford-city-waterford/1500352/

But this is OT, so I won't discuss it further on thread, I just allowed myself one reply. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

I think that the present public service pension contributions are scandalous.

The government should bring in a system for all new entrants whereby public servants pay the full rate PRSI (the same as everyone else) - this will entitle them to an old age pension, same as everyone else.

After that you are on your own. If you want a better pension you buy it yourself, same as everyone else.
    It shouldn't be linked to years service or final salary.

This would save the government a fortune.

Public servants do pay the full rate of PRSI! Anyone employed after 95 I think it is anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

dearg lady wrote: »
    Public servants do pay the full rate of PRSI! Anyone employed after 95 I think it is anyway.

Ok
    That should entitle them to the old age pension like everybody else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭chases0102

Justice system isn't working to protect those who contribute most to society.

5 strike rule - if you break the law five times (mid-level law-breaking, like assault and burglary) you should be thrown in jail, along with the key. You simply aren't contributing to society in a meaningful way.

That'll stop the thieving, cowardly, cynical scumbags who have this overrun parts of this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

chases0102 wrote: »
    ...you should be thrown in jail, along with the key.

But then they can easily escape! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

"All About That Bass" is about talentless hack acceptance above all else. Meghan Trainor can NOT f*cking sing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

"All About That Bass" is about talentless hack acceptance above all else. Meghan Trainor can NOT f*cking sing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,118 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Trouble with controlled competition and Ireland it results in, he who give most to FF wins

Not now with annual limits of 1000 euro

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Not now with annual limits of 1000 euro

I don't think there's any limits on how much you can pay to attend a meeting with a minister/the Taoiseach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,118 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I don't think there's any limits on how much you can pay to attend a meeting with a minister/the Taoiseach.

If its a party fundraiser then yes there is.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Jennifer Lawrence, Emma Watson and Kate Upton are extremely over rated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Benny & Bjorn should have ditched the gals.

May well have sold less records, but the music would have been the better for it.

Jennifer Lawrence, Emma Watson and Kate Upton are extremely over rated.

Kate Upton has a strange figure for a model. Big boobs, yeah, but no waist and very birdy legs. Gorgeous face though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Everytime I see a photo of Rihanna I wonder that the fuss is about. She looks odd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Ed Sheeran is shit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    Kate Upton has a strange figure for a model. Big boobs, yeah, but no waist and very birdy legs. Gorgeous face though.
    Serious jabronis

Serious jabronis

:pac:

Yes indeedio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

gramar wrote: »
    Everytime I see a photo of Rihanna I wonder that the fuss is about. She looks odd.

Never mind a forehead, she has a fivehead. Also, skanky as ****. Much nicer when she first came on the scene. Plus I think she's lost/hidden her Caribbean accent, which also set her apart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭Hoop66

Serious jabronis

She's got a couple of major-league yabbos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Ed Sheeran is shit
    He's one of those that I don't like personally, but I can see why people do. At least he writes his music which is a lot more than most of todays pop acts can do.
    Someone I genuinely can't understand how people listen to is Michael Buble. I didn't think it was possible to be more bland and middle of the road. Michael Buble is for people who don't like music

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

I don't like pets. Being licked by a dog is the grossest thing ever. Cats make me sick with their arses on display. I'd never hurt an animal or mistreat one in any other way, I just don't get the attraction at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Hip hop has been the most creative form of music in the past 20 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Frito

John Lennon's "Imagine" isn't that good.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    Hip hop has been the most creative form of music in the past 20 years.

Make that 30 years, especially from 1985 to 1995.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭puppieperson

Humans are vile and dont deserve animals as friends.

Depends on the human I suppose. It's a good thing a lot of animals have human friends to take good care of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Smart phones and facebook have outed most of us as morons. Previously we went around keeping our cretinous impulses hidden away. Now we show the world how boring and inane we are on a daily basis. I include myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭emersyn

The Beatles are trash

Depends on the human I suppose. It's a good thing a lot of animals have human friends to take good care of them.
    yes it is but we are sadly in the minority

Smart phones and facebook have outed most of us as morons. Previously we went around keeping our cretinous impulses hidden away. Now we show the world how boring and inane we are on a daily basis. I include myself.

so, be original give up the habit!!

yes it is but we are sadly in the minority
    No we're not. It's the minority who abuse animals.

I hope you are right..... even tonight there are horses and donkeys in fields of mud with no food to keep them warm. cold and miserable but their owners are fat and warm in their houses!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭DeadHand

no food to keep them warm

Yes, I remember well the deprivation of my own childhood.

We often had no potatoes for the fire or pasta sheets to wrap ourselves in.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement