Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unpopular Opinions.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,517 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Quazzie wrote: »
    If you dislike someone you've never met, then I don't have any issues. I dislike many people I've never met. My point was that you can't really hate someone you've never met as hate is such an intense feeling.

Yeah sorry Quazzie, I never should have quoted you, as I wasn't having a go, just trying (badly) to make a counter argument!

I guess what I was getting at was adulation vs disliking, rather than love vs hate :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Quazzie wrote: »
    If you dislike someone you've never met, then I don't have any issues. I dislike many people I've never met. My point was that you can't really hate someone you've never met as hate is such an intense feeling.

Surely it depends on what they've done. There are historical figures that are worthy of hatred. Same with more modern criminals. We see and hear about some really sick stuff.
    Likewise if someone hurts someone you know, even if you don't know them, it can arouse very strong feelings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

marcbrophy wrote: »
    My basic point was that no one questions your motives when you adore a public figure, but there is a slew of raised eyebrows if someone dislikes the same person!

The Irish love hating people. Figure that one out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

I think there is a lot of irony that came out of my post, based on the responses that followed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

The Jenner lad on that magazine is just wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    The Jenner lad on that magazine is just wrong.

What lad? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

The Irish love hating people. Figure that one out.

Nidge, Fran, etc. !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

there are elements of Katie Hopkins character that I like, although I don't always agree with how she conducts herself and her opinions. I agree with her highlighting of childhood obesity as it is a problem. but most of all I like how she doesn't back down, she's brazen and unapologetic. you never see her issuing a grovelling apology with her tail between her legs on social media like 80% of the other people in the public eye when they make a ''controversial, offensive remark''. her attitude is '' yeah I said that, i went there, I have my views, don't like them? piss off'' I kindve like that about her and wish I had more of that in my own character. theres something refreshing about someone with courage in their convictions no matter what the reaction. of course she has her moments where's just a nasty bitch for the sake of it though. im aware of that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Robsweezie wrote: »
    there are elements of Katie Hopkins character that I like, although I don't always agree with how she conducts herself and her opinions. I agree with her highlighting of childhood obesity as it is a problem. but most of all I like how she doesn't back down, she's brazen and unapologetic. you never see her issuing a grovelling apology with her tail between her legs on social media like 80% of the other people in the public eye when they make a ''controversial, offensive remark''. her attitude is '' yeah I said that, i went there, I have my views, don't like them? piss off'' I kindve like that about her and wish I had more of that in my own character. theres something refreshing about someone with courage in their convictions no matter what the reaction. of course she has her moments where's just a nasty bitch for the sake of it though. im aware of that.

People with balls. There is a severe shortage of them lately. You can have balls and still be sound aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

I think smokers should be refused medical treatment for smoking related illness bar they have private health insurance or pay for it themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Todd Toddington III

Willfarman wrote:
    I think smokers should be refused medical treatment for smoking related illness bar they have private health insurance or pay for it themselves.

Same for fat people then. And the elderly sure aren't they nearly dead. Oh and preexisting conditions too, no treatment for them chancers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

I hate when people refer to cars as "her" and "she".

No. A car is an "it".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

It's mostly ugly people who fall ill. In any work office it's the uglier people who're doing the coughing and sneezing. Go into an Irish hospital and look at how ugly most people are lying in their beds. Naturally good-looking people don't get sick as much it's because of genetics. Irish hospitals are full up because of all the ugly people in this country getting sick.

Same for fat people then. And the elderly sure aren't they nearly dead. Oh and preexisting conditions too, no treatment for them chancers

Il will credit you with the intelligence to see that old age related illness and smoking related illness are very dissimilar. If you choose to neglect your body why should I pay for it? Obesity the very same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Todd Toddington III

It should be okay to tell fat people they need to lose weight and eat better, same as telling smokers they need to stop smoking. #healthcrisis

• Advertisement

fiachr_a wrote: »
    It's mostly ugly people who fall ill. In any work office it's the uglier people who're doing the coughing and sneezing. Go into an Irish hospital and look at how ugly most people are lying in their beds. Naturally good-looking people don't get sick as much it's because of genetics. Irish hospitals are full up because of all the ugly people in this country getting sick.

Too small a population base you see. Inbreeding.

Behaviours are transmitted within families and cultures, whether genetically or environmentally, I do not know.

People deny that African-Americans, Jews, and German protestants often exhibit fairly stable behavioural characteristics, but I think that's merely a good-natured belief that has emerged from the postwar era as a necessary means of curbing evil acts perpetrated by humans against one another.

I don't think this denial is based on fact, and I suspect this denial is untrue.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭MathDebater

I think the full Irish breakfast is vastly overrated by people. I like the thought of having one more than the actually eating of one. It makes you feel dehydrated and lethargic for the rest of the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

No. A car is an "it".
    My motorcycles are all she's & have names :P

Leave my girls be :mad: :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

fiachr_a wrote: »

Would ill health not be more likely in older people and also would it not be likely to make people uglier - pale, sunken eyes etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

I think the full Irish breakfast is vastly overrated by people. I like the thought of having one more than the actually eating of one. It makes you feel dehydrated and lethargic for the rest of the day.

I never thought of it that much, but now that you mention it - strangely it's not all that filling but makes me feel a bit bloated and thirsty - not pleasant.

I was in a hotel last week that had a buffet breakfast. I noticed that nearly every diner was overweight - some were pretty massive - and all piling on the fried eggs, sausages, pudding etc onto big plates. Spotted one young woman (the size of a bungalow) with a huge plate of Irish breakfast stuff plus a plate of muffins and pastries plus 4 slices of toast. For breakfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭MathDebater

Probably an American tour group. The see a buffet breakfast and take it as if it were an all you can eat challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

LorMal wrote: »
    I never thought of it that much, but now that you mention it - strangely it's not all that filling but makes me feel a bit bloated and thirsty - not pleasant.

I was in a hotel last week that had a buffet breakfast. I noticed that nearly every diner was overweight - some were pretty massive - and all piling on the fried eggs, sausages, pudding etc onto big plates. Spotted one young woman (the size of a bungalow) with a huge plate of Irish breakfast stuff plus a plate of muffins and pastries plus 4 slices of toast. For breakfast.

I know how can people shovel down that much food at such an early hour, I struggle to hold down a slice of toast at that hour. I can't eat properly until much later in the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I like a full Irish, but only on a very special occaision. Like if I'm going to a convention or something, massive ass cooked breakfast and I'm full for the day, that way I'm not gouged with ****ty ass expensive con food. Or if I'm over in England, get massive cooked breakfast, go do touristy stuff and don't have to stop for lunch. That's pretty much what it's for, it's breakfast and lunch in one go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Don't forget all the sports-players with their self-inflicted fractures and sprains too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭MagicHumanDoll

~ Our (the Irish) attitude to drinking is pathetic*

~ We should be taught how to deal with anxiety/stress/our emotions from a young age

~ Continuing on above. Teaching Irish past 3rd year is a waste of everyone's time

~ I hate how Ireland clings to being traditional, but I'm quite proud to be from here

~ Getting a job and learning life skills in the process is more often than not better for those who don't know what they want to do in college and pick a ridiculous course with a nothing degree

~ Education (college) shouldn't be viewed as a 21st century 'necessity'

~ Books are overrated. They can be great, but most are simply good

I have more but most seem education related (College student ironically..)

*This obsession with how much your friends have drank. This obsession with using children's birthdays/communions etc to buy loads of alcohol and drink excessively to get away from your sad life is the worst. However I do believe in drinking but just believe in moderation and not feeling like its essential in having a good time.

Word *drops mic*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

HD brows

Ever wonder where you've seen them before?

That's right. On a ****ing clown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

I hate the nepotism in Ireland.It's almost engranined into our culture.We all know someone who only had their job because someone they know got them the job.This sense of self entitlement is actually pretty common amoung many people.Not very meritocratic at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

I hate the nepotism in Ireland.It's almost engranined into our culture.We all know someone who only had their job because someone they know got them the job.This sense of self entitlement is actually pretty common amoung many people.Not very meritocratic at all.
    A major reason for emigration and why so many people with good qualifications cannot find work here.

The tragedy around the students in Berkeley is being a bit overplayed. It is very sad, and devastating for the families involved. I'm not sure we'd have the same media and Ministerial reaction if it was a gang of teens from Clondalkin in Magaluf. 5 or 6 people get killed on our roads every week, and we don't have outpourings of shared grief and Ministerial delegations to look after them.

• Advertisement

Harsh but true.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover54

I wouldn't call it an unpopular opinion but I agree 100%.

Just this week my sister - who has been teaching primary school (very competently) for over 10 years - was turned down yet again for a job in our parish after applying for the last umpteen vacancies.

The person awarded the job? The daughter of a local councillor who is 24 and only completed her training last year.

It would nearly make you cynical :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭HardenendMan

My unpopular opinion is that there should be no effort to help progress women higher up the hierarchy of an organisation.

An example; I seen a report for an AGM of a large organisation. They reported 60:40 women:men membership, yet had 40:60 women:men ratio among senior management & board of directors. They were formulating an action plan to get closer to 60:40. I believe the best person for the job should be in it (regardless of gender).

You can't help getting old or what preexisting conditions you have. However being a smoker and being fat is a choice you can make, so making a comparison between them is being silly.

Regarding the Berkley tragedy, which is what it was, a tragedy, Irish people were up in arms about it when the NY times made assumptions about the J1 Visa, yet have no problem doing the same with tragedies that happen abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

RainyDay wrote: »
    The tragedy around the students in Berkeley is being a bit overplayed. It is very sad, and devastating for the families involved. I'm not sure we'd have the same media and Ministerial reaction if it was a gang of teens from Clondalkin in Magaluf. 5 or 6 people get killed on our roads every week, and we don't have outpourings of shared grief and Ministerial delegations to look after them.

I would hesitate to say it's been overplayed but the same thoughts came to my mind when seeing all the extended news reports on RTE and elsewhere of the tragedy. Would there be the same news and media reaction if they were working class kids from council estates that were killed somewhere. Sadly I think not.

The loss to the country is seen as somehow greater it seems because they had bright futures ahead of them as doctors and in other professions.

Obviously the loss is immense to their families and communities and they should be honoured and mourned appropriately, but I can't imagine such an outpouring either if they were early school leavers or working in low paying jobs for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

~ Our (the Irish) attitude to drinking is pathetic*

~ We should be taught how to deal with anxiety/stress/our emotions from a young age

~ Continuing on above. Teaching Irish past 3rd year is a waste of everyone's time

~ I hate how Ireland clings to being traditional, but I'm quite proud to be from here

~ Getting a job and learning life skills in the process is more often than not better for those who don't know what they want to do in college and pick a ridiculous course with a nothing degree

~ Education (college) shouldn't be viewed as a 21st century 'necessity'

~ Books are overrated. They can be great, but most are simply good

I have more but most seem education related (College student ironically..)

*This obsession with how much your friends have drank. This obsession with using children's birthdays/communions etc to buy loads of alcohol and drink excessively to get away from your sad life is the worst. However I do believe in drinking but just believe in moderation and not feeling like its essential in having a good time.
    HD brows

Ever wonder where you've seen them before?

That's right. On a ****ing clown.
    Not much unpopular there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

mr bean is NOT funny in the slightest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Greentopia wrote: »
    I would hesitate to say it's been overplayed but the same thoughts came to my mind when seeing all the extended news reports on RTE and elsewhere of the tragedy. Would there be the same news and media reaction if they were working class kids from council estates that were killed somewhere. Sadly I think not.

The loss to the country is seen as somehow greater it seems because they had bright futures ahead of them as doctors and in other professions.

Obviously the loss is immense to their families and communities and they should be honoured and mourned appropriately, but I can't imagine such an outpouring either if they were early school leavers or working in low paying jobs for example.

My Mam said the same thing the other day. If they were six ag science students from leitrim would we be hearing this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

thelad95 wrote: »
    My Mam said the same thing the other day. If they were six ag science students from leitrim would we be hearing this?
    Yes. It was big news before we even knew their identities, which were not made public for some time.

It's an unpopular opinion because it's wrong imo.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

I am very sorry for the young people that died and the injured and all the families. I have even shed a few tears.

But there is something in some people that kind of goes to a strange place with these things. It is part of the human condition but also a bit weird.

My unpopular opinion is that there should be no effort to help progress women higher up the hierarchy of an organisation.

An example; I seen a report for an AGM of a large organisation. They reported 60:40 women:men membership, yet had 40:60 women:men ratio among senior management & board of directors. They were formulating an action plan to get closer to 60:40. I believe the best person for the job should be in it (regardless of gender).

I agree with the equality of opportunity but not equality of outcome.

I wouldn't call it an unpopular opinion but I agree 100%.

The person awarded the job? The daughter of a local councillor who is 24 and only completed her training last year.

Just this week my sister - who has been teaching primary school (very competently) for over 10 years - was turned down yet again for a job in our parish after applying for the last umpteen vacancies.

Yeah I guess you are right but in some areas particularly rural areas and in our political system it seems to be a right of passage to some to aquire a position due close ties with someone.

thelad95 wrote: »

It would be a news story but definately not the same coverage and definately not the national tragedy spin. I sympathise with the families but that's it. It's not a tragedy for me thank god.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

I think the cut off point for me is when people starting going on about how Ireland is a big village.

Feeds into the "my mother was a Reilly, did ya know her? gag and it just isn't true.

Sure, I told the OH to get in off the balcony after I heard, but I can't imagine I feel anything close to the loss these poor families must be feeling.

I agree with the equality of opportunity but not equality of outcome.

So you'd be against the reshuffling of the boxes then?

864011_orig.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

It is very unsettling to read this opinion. I agree that there is a strong tendency in Irish media to over play the angst and over dramatise events.
    I strongly disagree with the opinion that this is somehow to do with where the kids were from. We are a small enough country without this kind of narrow minded parochialism and thinly veiled reverse snobbery.
    This opinion perhaps betrays more about your feelings about yourself than it does about the media coverage.

I wish people would stop talking about Italia 90 ffs, You'd swear we won the world cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,908 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

No. A car is an "it".

I always find that funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

LorMal wrote: »
    It is very unsettling to read this opinion. I agree that there is a strong tendency in Irish media to over play the angst and over dramatise events.
    I strongly disagree with the opinion that this is somehow to do with where the kids were from. We are a small enough country without this kind of narrow minded parochialism and thinly veiled reverse snobbery.
    This opinion perhaps betrays more about your feelings about yourself than it does about the media coverage.

Media bias exists. Anto from Ballyfermot who dies from an overdose will never get the same media coverage as Katy French or a young pretty girl taking ecstasy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭TomBtheGoat

The tragedy around the students in Berkeley is being a bit overplayed. It is very sad, and devastating for the families involved. I'm not sure we'd have the same media and Ministerial reaction if it was a gang of teens from Clondalkin in Magaluf.

As unpopular as it maybe be, I tend to agree with that.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement