Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unpopular Opinions.

Comments

I think the body comfortable campaigns can do more damage than good. Sure, nobody should be mocked for how they look, but it doesn't mean that it's OK. It's also odd how it only applies to fat people and not to skinny people. Both extremes of the scale are as damaging as each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

RainyDay wrote: »
    Is it just gender-related name changes that you struggle with, or all name changes? Do you call Aviva as Landsdowne, Windscale as Sellafield, Snickers as Marathon etc?

it'll always be landsdown to me , I wasn't in ireland when it was marathon
    I've never known it as another other than Sellafield.

I still call it superquinn in swords...

so maybe yeah....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

Kev W wrote: »
    Yeah but I've started thinking of you as the guy who made that post and my brain's just wired that way now.

ah no, different thing here...I might be unable to change a name but you are changing the past.

But I did laugh at your reply it was funny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

stephenl15 wrote: »
    His name is Bruce. He is a man. You don't get to choose your gender.

Do me a favour and take 5 minutes out to watch this story, and tell me how you would deal with your 5-year-old daughter telling you that "when this family dies, I'm going to cut my hair and be a boy", given the 41% rate attempted suicide rate for transgender people who struggle to get acceptance from people like yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭stephenl15

RainyDay wrote: »
    Do me a favour and take 5 minutes out to watch this story, and tell me how you would deal with your 5-year-old daughter telling you that "when this family dies, I'm going to cut my hair and be a boy", given the 41% rate attempted suicide rate for transgender people who struggle to get acceptance from people like yourself.

Will do when I get home from work

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

That video is completely different to Bruce Jenner, why wait 50+ years to do it? Conveniently when his reality TV star had faded.

Btw, that child is a girl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Can we all shut the fcuk up about Transgender issues on this thread and get back to posting more unpopular opinions. Also, the spirit of the thread was that you wouldn't be called out on your opinions I thought?

My unpopular opinion. I automatically think less of anyone who smokes. From an attraction point of view or an intellectual one, I take them down a peg in my mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I get really pissed off at people who use the term 'victim blaming'. Yeah, their idea of 'victim blaming' is my idea of people taking some personal responsibility for the consequences of their actions.

Omackeral wrote: »
    Can we all shut the fcuk up about Transgender issues on this thread and get back to posting more unpopular opinions. Also, the spirit of the thread was that you wouldn't be called out on your opinions I thought?

My unpopular opinion. I automatically think less of anyone who smokes. From an attraction point of view or an intellectual one, I take them down a peg in my mind.

Given the huge movement against smoking in recent years, that's not really a unpopular opinion. Lately, an unpopular one is to say you like smokers :pac:

I have never seen the Godfather and have zero interest in it. Same with Goodfellas, and other mob movies. I've also only seen 2 series of the Wire (maybe halfway through 3), but can't be arsed going back to it.

• Advertisement

I think the criticism that the New York Times received for the article they wrote on the Berkley incident was outrageous. Politicians and a former President wading in to complain over an article that didn't paint the J1 scheme in a positive light and also didn't paint the Irish students who died as being saints.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭mr.anonymous

I don't like seeing women in Burkas or similar. It just screams oppression. I don't think it's culture or choice as much as it is indoctrination.

I also can't stand people talking about "foreigners over here taking our jobs." If there's one country with a history of the emigrating for work it's this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

I think the criticism that the New York Times received for the article they wrote on the Berkley incident was outrageous. Politicians and a former President wading in to complain over an article that didn't paint the J1 scheme in a positive light and also didn't paint the Irish students who died as being saints.

Initially I thought the same way as you. However, upon reflection, while I agree that J1 is basically seen as a good time out of sight of your parents, and believe that many americans probably have had bad experiences with the behaviour of irish students, the article was probably a little too close to the event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

I don't like seeing women in Burkas or similar. It just screams oppression. I don't think it's culture or choice as much as it is indoctrination.

Either do I. Of course, it boils down to three possible reasons: the person is force fed voodooism from childhood and ACTUALLY believes this tribal rubbish. The second possibility is that the person is brainwashed for years by some fascist regime who enforces voodooism on their people and, even here to escape the regime, it still subconciously obeys it. Or third and most sinister: they are members of a terrorist organisation like al Qaeda or ISIS and are wearing extremist clothing as a statement or to frighten.

Warped voodooism is very dangerous and is a threat to Islam, Christianity, East and West alike. Saudi Arabia have done ALL they can to promote it and have singehandedly destroyed Islam just like Ferdinand and Isabella destroyed Christianity. BOTH movements set back what were before that progressive religions. Jesus and Mohammed both were rebel leaders against tribalist voodooism and were fighting against regimes like Saudi Arabia and its many copycats.

It is not culture, choice, or social norms. It is not Islamic. It is tribal voodoosim made up by unintelligent people and the enemy of the likes of Mohammed and Jesus. It is used by the world's worst dictatorships to keep the people down while the the kings, mullahs, ayatollahs, businessmen and warlords who rule these places live lives of excess, decadence and luxury that are at odds with what the ordinary people have to obey.

Some people on the J1 are idiots. When I was in San Diego I was told how hard it was for Irish people to get accommodation there, because of the amount of people that choose to have leaving parties and purposefully do thousands of dollars in damages, leaving the landlord in the lurch.

I have never seen the Godfather and have zero interest in it. Same with Goodfellas, and other mob movies. I've also only seen 2 series of the Wire (maybe halfway through 3), but can't be arsed going back to it.

Godfather is over-rated, so is the Wire actually. However, Goodfellas is just a very good movie that happens to be about the mob. You don't have to be into mob movies to appreciate it. It is well worth watching.

• Advertisement

Initially I thought the same way as you. However, upon reflection, while I agree that J1 is basically seen as a good time out of sight of your parents, and believe that many americans probably have had bad experiences with the behaviour of irish students, the article was probably a little too close to the event.

I know what you mean. I just hate the typical Irish approach to the recently departed as being almost saint like regardless of what an utter cnut they may have been in life. I'm not aiming that remark at the dead students by the way, just the general hypocrisy. That being said, I don't think it would have mattered much whatever length of time they left before printing the article.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

That video is completely different to Bruce Jenner, why wait 50+ years to do it?
    Probably because of the large numbers of people coming out with
    Btw, that child is a girl.

stuff over the years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

Most 'classic' movies are just remakes of older films or else very similar to different titles from the same era. People would be shocked at how many of these greatest films of all time are so unoriginal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I know what you mean. I just hate the typical Irish approach to the recently departed as being almost saint like regardless of what an utter cnut they may have been in life. I'm not aiming that remark at the dead students by the way, just the general hypocrisy. That being said, I don't think it would have mattered much whatever length of time they left before printing the article.

The J1 partying been dealt with before in the articles and it will be dealt with again. It was kind of tactless on the part of NYT to publish the directly after what happened and as much as you hate the term victim blaming, it seemed to imply a correlation between Irish students drinking and vandalism of apartments and the balcony collapse. That said the coverage has been absolutely suffocating and the outrage some people feel the need to display on behalf of the people that were killed or injured in the incident is kind of bizarre.

I agree up to the last sentence.
    If they print that article after a gang of irish students wreck an apartment and some falling debris gravely injures someone down on the street, they get a completely different response.

• Advertisement

fiachr_a wrote: »
    Most 'classic' movies are just remakes of older films or else very similar to different titles from the same era. People would be shocked at how many of these greatest films of all time are so unoriginal.

Tbf, there's only so many plot lines and plot devices out there…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

minority group + lack of information + "too sensitive" + "nowadays" + "PC" "gone mad/crazy" = populist opinion, ≠ unpopular opinion

+/- "rub it in your face," "everybody knows," "not afraid to tell it like it is," ":rolleyes:," "liberals"
    Oh man, you're on the Thanks Gravy Train with that one..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Yes. Mainly because most films do follow a certain structure. Like in a western, action film or police film, there are certain things that have to go in there like bad feeling between 2 sets of people, a climax that could be a fight, shootout or chase, and that the bad guy loses and his plot is scuppered.

Yes. Mainly because most films do follow a certain structure. Like in a western, action film or police film, there are certain things that have to go in there like bad feeling between 2 sets of people, a climax that could be a fight, shootout or chase, and that the bad guy loses and his plot is scuppered.

Romantic comedies. Man and woman with differing opinions and attitudes to life are forced to work together to achieve something inconsequential all the while they are bickering before hilarity - and romance - ensues. But wait, there's a misunderstanding! Man and/or woman does something that upsets the other and they fall out. This is a disaster! Even though they had such different personalities, the looked so suited to each other - say it ain't so, Hollywood!!! Cue melancholy piano music as man and woman are consoled by their best friends - who both happened to be ever so slightly quirky characters who although prone to outrageous lapses in judgement and decorum have hearts of gold. Eventually man and/or woman realise that they are meant to be together but that's not all! Man and/or woman now has a new/existing partner and they are about to get married. Cue frantic - and hilarious - scene where man/woman rushes to declare their true love to woman/man. Love is declared and romance wins the day. Hooray!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭barry181091

Boojum/Generic 'burrito' restaurants are tasteless shite!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

I don't find Rihanna attractive.

I don't understand people that go to the gym just to talk/to be seen/to go on their phones. I'm there to do my workout and nothing else, stop hogging the machines/weights and go somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

I hate how people piss on about how sick they are of remakes like they're some kind of film expert but they only talk about mainstream cineplex type films. Tons of interesting and original films come out every year but they take a slight bit of effort to find, that's all. If people don't like what they're being spoon fed they should get up and feed themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Kev W wrote: »
    I hate how people piss on about how sick they are of remakes like they're some kind of film expert but they only talk about mainstream cineplex type films. Tons of interesting and original films come out every year but they take a slight bit of effort to find, that's all. If people don't like what they're being spoon fed they should get up and feed themselves.

Exactly, it also applies to almost every art form including music. The popular form of the day tends to follow understood rules and contains understood prompts and references. It's popular because it's OK not to be challenged and made to think. Popular art which requires less thought or investigation has value, it has it's place. It can be comforting, sometimes the pleasure is derived from how well a particular form, no matter how obvious, is delivered.

Of course, more esoteric, brave, groundbreaking etc types of art forms are also valuable. Depends on how you feel at the time. Sunday night, just before work without a functioning brain cell left in my head I'm probably OK with watching a mainstream rom com with the wife, in another moment I'll expect something which might provoke introspection and demand more attention.

The people I cannot fcking stand are those which slavishly identify with one form over the other (apart from those who actually produce the movie, painting or music!) and identify with it as though it were their own work, as though discovering that work and identifying with it demands loyalty to that particular art form and that loyalty was rewarded with intellect and credibility.

Fantastic that people explore the full range of music, film, tv etc....but fck you were the sun don't shine if you think that grants you some sort of wisdom or perception! It's all valid if it does something for you personally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Pepsi is nicer than Coca Cola

Murphys is nicer than Guinness

Finches Orange is nicer than Club Orange

I'm calling these unpopular as Coke & Club & Guinness have a gazillion times more sales in Ireland than their competitors

Gwan, flame me :p

Reminds me when I was a barman and the bar manager ordered in crates of Pepsi as it was cheaper and maybe we would do it in future. Customers would act like I was serving a bottle of piss! Pepsi glass bottles in a bar are larger than Coke bottles, don't you people like value?!?

The trial ended and we never ordered Pepsi again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,517 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

^^^^

I agree with 2 out of 3 Mike, but Pepsi is fcuking muck :pac:

Pepsi Max on the other hand, is quite nice :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Pepsi is nicer than Coca Cola

Death to Mikemac1!!! Permaban!!! Erase his line!!! Bomb his village!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Diet Pepsi is much nicer than diet coke.

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Even at the countries lowest point 17 out of every 20 people that wanted a job had a job. If you're not in that 17 then you need to ask yourself why.

Not counting the hundreds of thousands who emigrated. Now since your in the mood for questions tell me why I was unemployed. Working outside the home since I was 15 in roles including, retail, caring and market research. 2.1 in my undergraduate, a first in my masters. What was 'wrong' with me?

Not counting the hundreds of thousands who emigrated. Now since your in the mood for questions tell me why I was unemployed. Working outside the home since I was 15 in roles including, retail, caring and market research. 2.1 in my undergraduate, a first in my masters. What was 'wrong' with me?

I'm going with bad attitude.

I'm going with bad attitude.

Yep definitely. Such a bad attitude that I attended the mandated JobClub then participated in a jobbridge and as the economy improved got several full time professional offers.

Yep definitely. Such a bad attitude that I attended the mandated JobClub then participated in a jobbridge and as the economy improved got several full time professional offers.

Now I'm changing my mind to overly sarcastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Mark Tapley

I think its handy for bigots to have children so they can warp their minds and turn them into horrible ***** at an early stage of their development.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Boojum/Generic 'burrito' restaurants are tasteless shite!

Ah here. That's just ridiculous. Burritos are amazing

• Advertisement

Now I'm changing my mind to overly sarcastic.

OHHHHhhhh you are so right. Ya couldn't be more right. I can't believe how right you are!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Finches is unreal! Pity not many shops stock it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I have zero sympathy for Greece, **** or get off the pot.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭irishlad12345

i think charging people for water makes perfect sense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Irish people are far more socially conservative than is healthy, but refuse to admit it.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

Irish people are far more socially conservative than is healthy, but refuse to admit it.
    Well I guess it's those Irish individuals who aren't, that refuse to be boxed into the "Irish people" category.
    In what ways? The marriage referendum contradicts an element of what you say, to be fair.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

The country just voted for gay marriage. Which wouldn't have a hope in much of the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

I would aim for a 100% inheritance tax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Aero is nicer than Wispa. (not my opinion, Aero's are gross)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I'm not sure what level level of social conservatism you deem unhealthy when Ireland recently passed a referendum on marriage equality?

What is there to admit to, only what doesn't meet your standards? Your opinion is hardly unpopular though, it's one I hear that bandied about a lot by people who don't accept that the vast majority of people in society simply disagree with their ideas for the way Irish people should live their lives.

Funny how that sort of irony works though.

We should stop building council houses for those on benefits with taxpayer money. Let the private sector set up trailer parks so they can rent somewhere cheap to live.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement