Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unpopular Opinions.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

We should stop building council houses for those on benefits with taxpayer money. Let the private sector set up trailer parks so they can rent somewhere cheap to live.

Now the fun begins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

We should stop building council houses for those on benefits with taxpayer money. Let the private sector set up trailer parks so they can rent somewhere cheap to live.

And if the private sector sees no money in it throw them on the street. Decrease the surplus population. Restart the workhouses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Well I guess it's those Irish individuals who aren't, that refuse to be boxed into the "Irish people" category.
    In what ways? The marriage referendum contradicts an element of what you say, to be fair.
    The country just voted for gay marriage. Which wouldn't have a hope in much of the world.
    I'm not sure what level level of social conservatism you deem unhealthy when Ireland recently passed a referendum on marriage equality?

What is there to admit to, only what doesn't meet your standards? Your opinion is hardly unpopular though, it's one I hear that bandied about a lot by people who don't accept that the vast majority of people in society simply disagree with their ideas for the way Irish people should live their lives.

Funny how that sort of irony works though.

Firstly, regarding nudity: try finding nude models or artwork without people thinking you're using it as an ice-breaker for sex.

Secondly, the thread about the sex shop opening in Drogheda. A surprisingly high number of people are saying "it's fine, but not near a school" - what difference does it make where it is? People seem not to be able to handle questions about sexuality from their kids in a mature way. People are far too quick to justy ban something they see as immoral than to talk about it

Thirdly, there is a surprisngly high number of people here who would gladly bring back the death penalty given half the chance.

Fourthly - the ban on head shops.

Same sex marriage is legal in most of western Europe.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Firstly, regarding nudity: try finding nude models or artwork without people thinking you're using it as an ice-breaker for sex.

Secondly, the thread about the sex shop opening in Drogheda. A surprisingly high number of people are saying "it's fine, but not near a school" - what difference does it make where it is? People seem not to be able to handle questions about sexuality from their kids in a mature way. People are far too quick to justy ban something they see as immoral than to talk about it

Thirdly, there is a surprisngly high number of people here who would gladly bring back the death penalty given half the chance.

1) I'm pretty sure nude painting goes on here but of course an add on Craigslist asking for nudes is suspect.
    2) many countries ban these types of shops from certain areas even if legal elsewhere. That's why they have certain districts in amsterdam and Hamburg.
    3) is there? We voted against the death penalty in a referendum.
    4) we voted in a referendum which is the world's first legitimacy by public plebiscite and Western Europe is a world liberal outlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I don't know have you ever actually tried finding nude models for artwork, but they're not in short supply in my experience. One of my friends regularly models for artists, it's never occurred to me to ask her has she ever been propositioned, but she's never mentioned it at least. I take it your experience seems to differ?

Is there such a shortage of retail units in Drumcondra that anyone thought it was a good idea to locate a sex shop near a primary school? I'd say that was a wise move to reconsider his decision to locate there. If you can't see an issue with locating a sex shop in a community area and especially so near a school, I'd suggest you're being wilfully blind to the issues that could arise, both for the proprietor, and for the people who actually have to live in the area, and have to send their children to school just across from a sex shop.

It's not so much a question of morality or otherwise, it's just in poor taste to locate a sex shop so near to a primary school. That doesn't indicate at all that people have an issue with talking about sex and sexuality with their children. It simply means they don't want a sex shop in the vicinity of a school in their community.

What was unhealthily socially conservative about that? Were head shops of any particular benefit to society that I'm unaware of?

So most of Western Europe isn't as unhealthily socially conservative either? How's that whole same-sex marriage idea working out in Germany then?

Oh, that's right, same-sex marriage is still not recognized in Germany.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I don't know have you ever actually tried finding nude models for artwork, but they're not in short supply in my experience. One of my friends regularly models for artists, it's never occurred to me to ask her has she ever been propositioned, but she's never mentioned it at least. I take it your experience seems to differ?

Is there such a shortage of retail units in Drumcondra that anyone thought it was a good idea to locate a sex shop near a primary school? I'd say that was a wise move to reconsider his decision to locate there. If you can't see an issue with locating a sex shop in a community area and especially so near a school, I'd suggest you're being wilfully blind to the issues that could arise, both for the proprietor, and for the people who actually have to live in the area, and have to send their children to school just across from a sex shop.

It's not so much a question of morality or otherwise, it's just in poor taste to locate a sex shop so near to a primary school. That doesn't indicate at all that people have an issue with talking about sex and sexuality with their children. It simply means they don't want a sex shop in the vicinity of a school in their community.

What was unhealthily socially conservative about that? Were head shops of any particular benefit to society that I'm unaware of?

So most of Western Europe isn't as unhealthily socially conservative either? How's that whole same-sex marriage idea working out in Germany then?

Oh, that's right, same-sex marriage is still not recognized in Germany.

The amount of times I heard the phrase "I'd love to be painted but my boyfriend would never let me" or "i really like you work, but there's no way I'd be happy if my girlfriend wanted to be painted". I also turned down relationships on two occasions because the girl in question wasn;t comfortable with me painting and looking at other naked women. (Last one is a bit anecdotal, I know, but from conversation with other Irish girls, they said they could totally understand the girls' pov).

The sex shop location is a bit of a misnomer - even in cities where they are more prevalent in certain districts, there are still kids living in these districts.

Head shpos were just down to choice: why ban something if it's not dangerous?

The fact that Germany doesn't have ful same-sex marriage is irrelevant. Germany tends to be more traditional than conservative (and even then, it depends on the specific state)

Anyway - just mny opinoin, which I feel has been backed up. It's based on personal experience and living in Ireland and abroad. Anyway - at least you can't say it's not an unopiular opinion :D

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

The amount of times I heard the phrase "I'd love to be painted but my boyfriend would never let me" or "i really like you work, but there's no way I'd be happy if my girlfriend wanted to be painted". I also turned down relationships on two occasions because the girl in question wasn;t comfortable with me painting and looking at other naked women. (Last one is a bit anecdotal, I know, but from conversation with other Irish girls, they said they could totally understand the girls' pov).

They're all anecdotes really, and still a stretch to assume that your personal experience is in any way sufficient to judge a whole population as unhealthily socially conservative.

The sex shop location is a bit of a misnomer - even in cities where they are more prevalent in certain districts, there are still kids living in these districts.

The fact that there are people who have children and live in areas where there are sex shops then kinda nukes your whole point about the location of a single sex shop being an indication of unhealthy social conservatism.

Head shpos were just down to choice: why ban something if it's not dangerous?

Closing head shops wasn't just down to a decision based on social conservatism. The head shops were proven to have had a detrimental effect on Irish society, and closing them was a popular decision all round (except for the minority of minors that couldn't get their bath salts at 3am in the morning).

The fact that Germany doesn't have ful same-sex marriage is irrelevant. Germany tends to be more traditional than conservative (and even then, it depends on the specific state)

How can you say same-sex marriage is legal in most of Western Europe, and then when it's pointed out to you that same-sex marriage is still not recognized in one of the biggest countries in Western Europe - "That's irrelevant"?? Bizarre! :confused:

I'd also love to understand how you differentiate between traditional and conservative, because the definition of conservative is maintaining society as it always was, ie- valuing social tradition over social progress. By that standard, Germany as a whole is far more socially conservative than Ireland, and certainly far more socially conservative obviously than you're prepared to admit to.

Anyway - just mny opinoin, which I feel has been backed up. It's based on personal experience and living in Ireland and abroad. Anyway - at least you can't say it's not an unopiular opinion :D

Of course your original assertion isn't an unpopular opinion. Like I said, pretty common among people who want to dictate to other people how they should think, based on their own way of thinking. I'd respectfully suggest you need to broaden your horizons a bit more and open your mind to be willing to embrace other people's opinions which differs from your own perception of Irish society. You may surprise yourself even to find Irish society isn't nearly as insular and closed minded as some people like to think it is :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

And if the private sector sees no money in it throw them on the street. Decrease the surplus population. Restart the workhouses.

Nah put them on dinghy boats in the Mediterranean and send them to Italy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

I would aim for a 100% inheritance tax.

So if your parents died you'd lose the home you grew up in, and everything it contains?

Harsh...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Kill everybody i don't like !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Hah, after the government seizes farms will it be putting in civil servants to run them?

Sounds very communist comrade Eugene

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

I think the criticism that the New York Times received for the article they wrote on the Berkley incident was outrageous. Politicians and a former President wading in to complain over an article that didn't paint the J1 scheme in a positive light and also didn't paint the Irish students who died as being saints.

Ridiculous. The article was inaccurate, racist, crass and insensitive. This has since been acknowledged by the NYT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Given the huge movement against smoking in recent years, that's not really a unpopular opinion. Lately, an unpopular one is to say you like smokers :pac:

I have never seen the Godfather and have zero interest in it. Same with Goodfellas, and other mob movies. I've also only seen 2 series of the Wire (maybe halfway through 3), but can't be arsed going back to it.

I meant I think they're dumber when I find out they smoke, that's my unpopular opinion. Not that I don't like them. I think less of them.

Godfather I watched first half hour of and was bored sh*tless. Goodfellas was great I thought, super narrative throughout. A bit OTT at times but that's the beauty. I love The Wire but unless you're invested fully in it I can totally understand why you'd be indifferent to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

Put them all out on the streets then BURN THE STREETS!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Eat Poor People ! !

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭MathDebater

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Hah, after the government seizes farms will it be putting in civil servants to run them?

Sounds very communist comrade Eugene

Worked out just fine in Zimbabwe. They are all trillionaires over there now. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

100% is far excessive but I certainly believe it needs to be much higher in tiered fashion.

Omackeral wrote: »
    I meant I think they're dumber when I find out they smoke, that's my unpopular opinion. Not that I don't like them. I think less of them.

You do realise they aren't though? I mean it may be a stupid decision but its not a signifier of less intellect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

So... You work your ass off all your life while a sector of society lives free in free homes with free money and free holidays (paid for with the free money) and free utilities. You manage to scrabble up an asset, maybe two, and count yourself lucky you can afford baked beans after paying your bills because the tax man left you 48% of your wages. Then when you drop dead, the tax man wants everything he didn't manage to grab the first time around, so he can redistribute your 'wealth' to the lazy feckers who haven't known a days work in their lives or didn't save their pennies for their retirement?

My Dads gotten up at 4am for the last 48 years, he's paid off his mortgage, manages one holiday every four years and drives a 10 year old car as he saved for his retirement. If they brought in a 100% inheritance tax, I'd tell him to go mad in the first five years of bring an OAP and then take off the government until he chokes.*

If you want something in life, go out and earn it, don't expect the government to take off the hardworking and redistribute it.

* to be fair, I've told him to spend every cent enjoying life - I'm happy to earn my own, and he's had a hard life, so deserves every moment of joy he can wring from life a thousand times over

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

100% inheritance tax would mean people selling their houses before they die and investing the money in some scheme or opening a company with the children and parents on the board.
    People just wouldn't accept it.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭obriendj

This can only be a troll or an idiot. but probably both.

100% is far excessive but I certainly believe it needs to be much higher in tiered fashion.

Why? Should it not be lower? if your parents have already paid tax on it why pay tax on it again?

if they earn 100K get roughly 50K then pass on - then you have to pay 50% on the 50K leaving you with a quarter of what they earned... why double tax it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

i like fake tan on women and i like make on them up.

even heavily applied up to the point of the gypsy wedding stuff - that's too much.

on_my_oe wrote: »
    Then when you drop dead, the tax man wants everything he didn't manage to grab the first time around, so he can redistribute your 'wealth' to the lazy feckers who haven't known a days work in their lives or didn't save their pennies for their retirement?
    You'll be dead. You won't be able to care.
    My Dads gotten up at 4am for the last 48 years, he's paid off his mortgage, manages one holiday every four years and drives a 10 year old car as he saved for his retirement. If they brought in a 100% inheritance tax, I'd tell him to go mad in the first five years of bring an OAP and then take off the government until he chokes.*
    That would be a massive economic stimulus. He'd still be a net contributor to society. Good for him to die in the peace of such blissful knowledge.

Why should you get your mits on your Papa's hard-earned pennies? Why are you more deserving of the reserves of his labour than some homeless woman in the street on a wet evening?
    If you want something in life, go out and earn it
    You might take your own advice there.

You'll be dead. You won't be able to care.

Why should you get your mits on your Papa's hard-earned pennies? Why are you more deserving of the reserves of his labour than some homeless woman in the street on a wet evening?

He should get their mits on it because that is the choice of his Papa. He may not deserve it - he might just spend it on drink / drugs but his Papa worked hard, earned his money, paid the tax on it and if he wants to donate it to homeless he is fully entitled.

It is Papas money let him do what he wants with it.

• Advertisement

obriendj wrote: »
    He should get their mits on it because that is the choice of his Papa
    Papa's wishes for the affairs of society don't survive his demise.

The dead have no rights. Well, they ought not.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭mr.anonymous

I'm in favour of the proposed increase in the price of alcohol. Also in favour of a "fat/sugar tax". These things make people unhealthy and ultimately cost the State money.

People don't like smokers but those who eat or drink excessively don't seem much better. Of course there's personal responsibility for your body but with the predicted crisis level of obesity here we need to do something.

The term "any last requests" has been around longer than us all. A will is the modern day equivalent and as such it should be granted.
    If the Papas children are not worthy of his hard earned cash and he donates to a homeless person - will you expect them to pay tax on it?

The term "any last requests" has been around longer than us all.
    Fine, keep the phrase, but let the state keep Pop's bank account.
    If the Papas children are not worthy of his hard earned cash and he donates to a homeless person - will you expect them to pay tax on it?
    I'm talking about funding social services... I'm obviously not suggesting large capital transfers to homeless people. Nobody should be obliged to pay tax on anyone else's death.

Humans get far more out of communal living than they ever put in themselves.

I don't see why their (usually fully grown, adult) offspring should be entitled to inherit anything. I say this hypocritically, having been the beneficiary of a will, but I do think we should have already outgrown the concept of inherited rights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I don't see why their (usually fully grown, adult) offspring should be entitled to inherit anything. I say this hypocritically, having been the beneficiary of a will, but I do think we should have already outgrown the concept of inherited rights.

What about a business or farm that the young person worked as a child, as a teen and as an adult.

The father dies and an anonymous civil servant arrives from Dublin and liquidates it in an auction. Is that what you plan?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I don't have a problem with inherited rights but I don't believe in inheriting a right to a better education and therefore a better life. I believe in equality of opportunity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Fudge You

i think charging people for water makes perfect sense

This opinion is not unpopular on boards.ie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,975 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Finches is unreal! Pity not many shops stock it.

Dunne Stores normally stock it , down here anyway :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

...You do know that the dead were alive once, and they had votes (still do in some parts of the country!) and they will never ever elect a party which goes near a 100% inheritance tax. You're living in fantasy land to think otherwise.

Why? Should it not be lower? if your parents have already paid tax on it why pay tax on it again?

if they earn 100K get roughly 50K then pass on - then you have to pay 50% on the 50K leaving you with a quarter of what they earned... why double tax it?

I believe in the redistribution of wealth. An individual ought to be able to provide a decent amount to their offspring but beyond that limit very heavy taxation should apply and on a progressive basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

That I'm sound! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭MathDebater

I believe in the redistribution of wealth. An individual ought to be able to provide a decent amount to their offspring but beyond that limit very heavy taxation should apply and on a progressive basis.

Nothing 'progressive' about ignoring a dead persons wishes and not allowing their wealth to be distributed as they deemed fit.

Nothing 'progressive' about ignoring a dead persons wishes and not allowing their wealth to be distributed as they deemed fit.

I don't know what progressive has to do with it. There is no disrespect in establishing a regime that heavily taxes bequeathments. All those making such gifts would do so in full knowledge of the law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

An unpopular opinion is people are generally good and will help people who are stuck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Intelligent descant working people are going to be far outnumbered in the future by stupid lazy scumbaggy people.

• Advertisement

Willfarman wrote: »
    Intelligent descant working people are going to be far outnumbered in the future by stupid lazy scumbaggy people.

They aren;t already?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

They aren;t already?

"We" surely?

"We" surely?

I like to keep my hubris under wraps (occasionally).

Due to societal obligation and political correctness in western society there is now no survival of the fittest.. In in fact the complete opposite is the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

Due to societal obligation and political correctness in western society there is now no survival of the fittest.. In in fact the complete opposite is the case.
    Yeah, wish I could be really sick or disabled rather than healthy and able-bodied - it'd be the dream. :(

Not too hard to go on the sick. Ouch my back. Cert from the doc. Medical card. Put a shot in the wife every 12 months to make another waster a year. Working people taxes feed clothe and entertain the lot of us. Why the fup would I admit to being able bodied and go get a job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Why the fup would I admit to being able bodied and go get a job.
    €800 a month v €3300? No contest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Mod: Willfarman don't post in the thread again

Not too hard to go on the sick. Ouch my back. Cert from the doc. Medical card. Put a shot in the wife every 12 months to make another waster a year. Working people taxes feed clothe and entertain the lot of us. Why the fup would I admit to being able bodied and go get a job.

And if your nonsense rhetoric were remotely true you'd have a point.

Back in reality however numerous studies from reputable bodies have shown that the overwhelming majority of those on welfare would be better off in work. As someone born into homelessness, who experienced a period of prolonged unemployment myself I am thankful for the welfare system.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

How do you define "survival of the fittest" in this context?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement