Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unpopular Opinions.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Both Irish and UK sausages are.

I mean, unless you're getting some decent ones which aren't full of filler and pig snout then they are the worst things ever.

Oh my ****ing god.

Banned. in the ass. Forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Oh my ****ing god.

Banned. in the ass. Forever.

Enjoy your inferior pork products.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

Enjoy your inferior pork products.

:rolleyes:

I thought that anti-Sausage muppet was banned?

Certain forms of the Dublin 4 accent are easy on the ear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 361 ✭✭Caiseoipe19

It's "Connacht" not "Connaught" and when writing in Irish, it's not alright to leave out "fadas" just because they are small. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Sparkling Water is DELICIOUS.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

If there were no Sauces for out tasteless food who'd bother eating and no refrigeration for that Lukozade we call beer who'd bother drinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Sky King wrote: »
    :eek:
    Ah now, that's just... that's just too far... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

:eek: one time when i was in france it was about 30 degrees and i was so thirsty and i opened a bottle of what i thought was normal water but it wasnt it was ..sparkling water and i nearly threwup:pac: howcould you possibly like it??

It refreshes my face off so it does.

I buy a six pack of 2L in Fidl every week and keep one by my bed and one in the car. Great to cut though night mucus for maximum nocturnal refreshment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

It refreshes my face off so it does.

I buy a six pack of 2L in Fidl every week and keep one by my bed and one in the car. Great to cut though night mucus for maximum nocturnal refreshment.
    You could do ads for sparkling Ballygowan.

I know, come out of the lake as a swan after 800 years and gargle up some lung butter, hock it into the nearest empty tea stained mug or congealed milk cereal bowl and take a deep draught of the carbonated stuff, then back to the lake for another bit of shut eye before the morning tug.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

bb1234567 wrote: »
    :eek: one time when i was in france it was about 30 degrees and i was so thirsty and i opened a bottle of what i thought was normal water but it wasnt it was ..sparkling water and i nearly threwup:pac: howcould you possibly like it??

It actually is quite nice if you're very thirsty..

I know, come out of the lake as a swan after 800 years and gargle up some lung butter, hock it into the nearest empty tea stained mug or congealed milk cereal bowl and take a deep draught of the carbonated stuff, then back to the lake for another bit of shut eye before the morning tug.
    Em... Yup. That's the stuff. Lovely...

*pukes in bucket*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Tea and coffee are rubbish drinks and should only be drank by the old or very sick.

Bah humbug.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

It should be illegal for women to knowingly consume any substances, or inflict any damage to themselves, that could potentially harm their child whist they are pregnant.

When I say this I mean it should be illegal to drink alcohol, smoke cigarettes or engage in any activity that could harm the foetus.

I'm also against the ridiculous rate of capitals acquisitions tax.

I think dubstep is brilliant.

I have no problem with downloading free software.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

I have no problem with downloading free software.

Freeware or pirate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭btard

The average person knows precisely dick about basic psychology, and listens to everything society tells them without question and will fold like a house of cards if more than two of their friends says "eww" to something simultaneously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 592 ✭✭✭kieranfitz

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    I want to join this 'special club' but it is only tea and instant coffee I abhor. Everything else is tolerable. Does I qualify??

Ill kinda see where your coming from, can't stand tea, at all. atleast coffee smells nice.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

All my opinions are unpopular and it's why i'm often alone but i know people who are very popular and i promise you they are useless on a rainy day because they agree with everybody all the time.Useless company all of the time.You never learn anything from such people.I'm a pain and will always remain unapologetic about it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

You shouldn't have children if you don't intend spending a lot of time with them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

Drinking whiskey at 10:30 am is cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Pighead wrote: »
    Tea and coffee are rubbish drinks and should only be drank by the old or very sick.

What have you got against the old or very sick ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

I'm sick of hearing people who haven't a clue about economics or politics ranting and raving about our current financial situation

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Dudess wrote: »
    Why is the gay thing a problem unless you hate gays? In which case just say it?

I hate the box-ticking idea. 2% of people in the UK are black, watching CBBC it looks more like 20%. I think they had a one-armed person at one point to be even more inclusive. Dunno how many people on that RTE thing in the evenings between the Aussie soaps are gay but a bloody lot of them are panto-camp.

paddyandy wrote: »
    All my opinions are unpopular and it's why i'm often alone but i know people who are very popular and i promise you they are useless on a rainy day because they agree with everybody all the time.Useless company all of the time.You never learn anything from such people.I'm a pain and will always remain unapologetic about it.

Your other unpopular opinion is that spaces after punctuation are a waste of time.

A maverick is what you are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

talkinyite wrote: »
    why not?

Constant arguments with family and friends over why I don't go to mass? Maybe it's just my personal experience.

Fbjm wrote: »
    Probably been said already, but being atheist in a predominantly catholic country is not fun.

I am 35 and I know nobody who goes to mass or church, at my age or younger.
    Even my dad doesn't.

Grow some.

My unpopular opinion is that the modern atheist isn't seeing the challenges of being an atheist ( in 2011) that he thinks he is.

From wiki:

In the 1970s a survery had given figures at 91%.[4] In 2011, it was reported that weekly Mass attendance in Dublin was on average 18%, with it being lower among younger generations and in some areas less than 2%.[5][6]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

Never get behind a black lady in a queue!....there will always be a problem with her....always!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

pebbles21 wrote: »
    Never get behind a black lady in a queue!....there will always be a problem with her....always!!

Particularly if her name is Pamela Ivesbekhai

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Mr. Boo

War is a pimple on the pope's pet dragon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

btard wrote: »
    The average person knows precisely dick about basic psychology, and listens to everything society tells them without question and will fold like a house of cards if more than two of their friends says "eww" to something simultaneously.
    hmmm..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Its completely natural for an adult to feel attracted to a person aged 15-18 and there isn't anything wrong with it.
    However when an adult takes the step of getting romantically involved with that 15-18 year old then it is wrong and not ok.
    People need to learn the difference between Pedophilia and Ephebophilia.

I'm sure quite a few are going to jump down my throat for saying this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

I cant understand why people post pictures of themselves on here. Most forums have a "...know your fellow loungers" etc. I think its bloody stupid. Kinda feels like people want attention or something. That they love when loads of people "thank" it.

Now, I still maintain an each to their own thing. But then you see the same people posting 20 pictures in the same thread. That every page its another photo of them :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭iguana

amacachi wrote: »
    I hate the box-ticking idea. 2% of people in the UK are black, watching CBBC it looks more like 20%. I think they had a one-armed person at one point to be even more inclusive. Dunno how many people on that RTE thing in the evenings between the Aussie soaps are gay but a bloody lot of them are panto-camp.

I can kind of see your point on that. I was utterly shocked to discover that 92% of the UK population is white. That's not what's represented on television at all. I guess to some extent it's because a lot of media is London-(and other large city)-centric and the majority of other ethnicities live in the big cities.

But there is definitely a push to fill quotas in television programming which over represents minorities in certain areas which can ultimately do more harm than good as it's easy to see why the majority population might feel resentful. When it comes to television casting actors, for example, should be chosen from a mixture of their talent and physical suitability for a role, not because the actors tick the race boxes that make a multi-ethnic rainbow raced cast, or make a stunt statement like Freema Agyeman in Little Dorrit (also she's an utterly appalling actor).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

iguana wrote: »
    I can kind of see your point on that. I was utterly shocked to discover that 92% of the UK population is white.

Are you serious? :eek:
    But its so multi-cultured...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Herrick

I can kind of see your point on that. I was utterly shocked to discover that 92% of the UK population is white. That's not what's represented on television at all. I guess to some extent it's because a lot of media is London-(and other large city)-centric and the majority of other ethnicities live in the big cities.

But there is definitely a push to fill quotas in television programming which over represents minorities in certain areas which can ultimately do more harm than good as it's easy to see why the majority population might feel resentful. When it comes to television casting actors, for example, should be chosen from a mixture of their talent and physical suitability for a role, not because the actors tick the race boxes that make a multi-ethnic rainbow raced cast, or make a stunt statement like Freema Agyeman in Little Dorrit (also she's an utterly appalling actor).

Thank God I'm not the only one that notices this.

I think the BBC are especially guilty (there may be other stations I'm unsure) of over representing in their shows.

The best I have seen from them was having a black actor play Friar Tuck in their version of Robin Hood, something the actor himself thought ridiculous. They also have their own telling of the King Arthur legend on at the moment too, with one of his Knights a black guy :rolleyes:

Now, while those two examples never claimed to be serious and accurate, it's obvious that there's a quota being filled or at least an over the top attempt to be multicultural in casting. Somehow, I don't think any black people are going to offended over a fully white cast seeing as it would be accurate for the time periods the shows would be set in.

LighterGuy wrote: »

As of the 2001 census. 92% white, 4.4% Asian, 2% percent black, 1.2% mixed race and 0.4% other. It's expected that this years census will see the white population down to 89% when the results are released next year.

Only the big cities are multi-cultural, with London being the out and out leader with 69.4% white, 13.1% of south Asian descent, 10.7% are black, 3.5% mixed race, 1.9% other and 1.5% Chinese.

Of course this means that people of the vast majority of other races live in the biggest cities so the smaller cities, towns, villages and rural regions are almost completely white.

Yeah, to be fair, being really right-on in terms of culture representation is kinda cringey IMO.
    Fbjm wrote: »
    Constant arguments with family and friends over why I don't go to mass? Maybe it's just my personal experience.
    I reckon it is. I don't face any hassle whatsoever about being an atheist.
    cocoshovel wrote: »
    Its completely natural for an adult to feel attracted to a person aged 15-18 and there isn't anything wrong with it.
    However when an adult takes the step of getting romantically involved with that 15-18 year old then it is wrong and not ok.
    People need to learn the difference between Pedophilia and Ephebophilia.

I'm sure quite a few are going to jump down my throat for saying this.
    Fully agreed. Although there's nothing illegal about getting involved with someone who's 17 or older here - whether it's wrong or not depends on the intentions I guess.
    And to take that further, if someone is a paedophile (i.e. attracted to children - I haven't said anything about actually doing anything to a child) and they rightly don't act on it, they're not doing anything wrong other than having feelings they can't control. And I'd just feel sorry for someone in that situation - must be a miserable and lonely life. And I'm sure they'd give anything to be attracted to adults.
    Someone acting on paedophilic desires though, no sympathy and they deserve to be punished - obviously.

• Advertisement

I reckon it is. I don't face any hassle whatsoever about being an atheist.

I'd say most adults living away from home get very little pressure about attending weekly mass, those still living with mass going parents can still be pressured/forced into going. But when it comes to big events, christenings, weddings, funerals, etc, not having a church ceremony can cause problems, from snide comments to full on threats and tantrums from extended family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

I havnt been to mass in years but if someone invited me i'd have no problem going. I have nothing against priests or religion and actually think followers of 'new atheism' are a bunch of cnuts

eth0 wrote: »
    I havnt been to mass in years but if someone invited me i'd have no problem going. I have nothing against priests or religion and actually think followers of 'new atheism' are a bunch of cnuts
    What's new atheism?

LighterGuy wrote: »
    And to some extent I can sympathise somewhat with those who see the BBC (the main culprits in the UK) as being too "PC".
    It's funny though, in Australia they've gone completely the other road. Neighbours and Home and Away were criticised a few years back for having no non-European people whatsoever in the shows. Since then Home and Away have added 1 (a Christian minister :pac: ) while Neighbours added a Korean character. Very tokenistic.

There were rumblings recently about how few black managers there are in English football. 2 of the football league clubs (90 something of them) have black managers, it's pretty much par for the population.

EDIT: I think CBBC even had a presenter with 1 arm a coupla years ago, it wasn't long after a report that criticised the BBC for not having enough disabled people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Herrick

There were rumblings recently about how few black managers there are in English football. 2 of the football league clubs (90 something of them) have black managers, it's pretty much par for the population.

Was it claiming that black managers aren't given an opportunity or there are actually not enough black managers can you remember?

Tbh, you cant do anything if not many black people enter management ffs and it just shows that some people have far too much time on their hands to be grumbling over such things.

I mean in football its simple, if the manager is good he'll get the job.

Granted, there are certain clubs a non-white manager would be run out of, but in the UK I can't see it being a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

paddyandy wrote: »
    Being Gay is not normal the body was not designed that way not by any stretch of the psychical nature of it's design.Any Gynaecologist could tell you that.The Community of Perverts want to make it "normal" behaviour? There is nothing at all normal about it and treating it so will destroy the reluctant tolerance that there is out there.You people are getting overbearingly arrogant.

Nice pun there.

Herrick wrote: »
    Was it claiming that black managers aren't given an opportunity or there are actually not enough black managers can you remember?

Tbh, you cant do anything if not many black people enter management ffs and it just shows that some people have far too much time on their hands to be grumbling over such things.

I mean in football its simple, if the manager is good he'll get the job.

Granted, there are certain clubs a non-white manager would be run out of, but in the UK I can't see it being a problem.

Yeah they were saying the reason for the low numbers was lack of opportunities. They could come up with little evidence. Think Paul Ince was saying such things, his idea of opportunities seems to be "don't sack me even when I do a terrible job."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭mickrock

cocoshovel wrote: »

Anyone who gets romantically involved with an 18 year old is scum and should be shot like a dog.

I often read complaints about shows like Coronation St not having enough minority characters as it's set in Manchester. But with 5 Asian characters, 2 black characters and 2 mixed race characters out of a cast of about 60, it's technically ever so slightly over-representative of minorities.

And I suspect that even for Manchester the fact that all most every household has an immediate family member who is LGBT is a tiny bit unbelievable. But then again so is the amount of adultery, murder, serious accidents, Christmas day births, false imprisonments, etc :D

• Advertisement

What's new atheism?

According to wikipedia:
    New Atheism is the name given to a movement among some early-21st-century atheist writers who have advocated the view that "religion should not simply be tolerated but should be countered, criticized, and exposed by rational argument wherever its influence arises."[1] New atheists argue that recent scientific advancements demand a less accommodating attitude toward religion, superstition, and religious fanaticism than had traditionally been extended by many secularists.

I've got to agree, this kind of carry on is pretty ignorant.

I'm not sure it would classify as unpopular, but I think that people who are under the impression that the few bits of scientific info they know is some sort of proof that all religion is false, are ignorant, lack tolerance, and are extremely close-minded, which is ironic considering they're usually of the opinion that religion is close-minded. The few people I know who are like this just spout regurgitated lines from a Richard Dawkins or Ben Goldacre pop science book. They also usually completely misinterpret the information they do know.
    mickrock wrote: »
    Anyone who gets romantically involved with an 18 year old is scum and should be shot like a dog.
    Really? I went out with an 18 year old once.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement