Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unpopular Opinions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Paulor94

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    While the quality of Irish education is (contrary to popular misconception) generally pretty poor and radical reforms are decades overdue, the points system is actually a pretty equitable way to allocate third level places and the introduction of continous assesment for the leaving cert would create far more problems than it would solve.

I agree with the system being pretty poor but speaking as a student i would love nothing more than continous assesment it's not fair tht they expect us to do all of our tests in 3 weeks. It's unfair and could you tell me how it would create more problems than solve?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Paulor94 wrote: »
    could you tell me how it would create more problems than solve?

Various reasons among them being having some/all of one work assessed by teachers rather than anonymously by independent outsiders with no ties to ones own school being wide open to all manner of bias and downright abuses.

Experience with GCSE coursework in the UK pretty much bears this out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Niall558

Fear Uladh wrote: »
    I also think it should be mandatory that children get the school buses instead of the "yummy" mummy brigade causing gridlock in their badly parked/badly driven 4x4 mobiles. :mad:

Reminds me of this :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

lil'bug wrote: »
    i have no preference between tea and coffee i like them both
    Howzat unpopular? :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

I prefer a good SG to Les Paul.
    But I prefer Fender to Gibson,go figure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Lustrum wrote: »
    The Langers of Cork are the most introverted people in the country and plenty of them have never been further north than Glanmire

(unpopular because I live down here!)

There is a lot of that going on in Cork. Even on this forum someone compared Cork (favourably) with cities like Paris, London and Berlin, sweet mother of delusion so embarrassing. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

pmcmahon wrote: »
    I prefer a good SG to Les Paul.
    But I prefer Fender to Gibson,go figure.

freak

:pac:

While public transport can offer benefits over private vehicles in terms of congestion, pollution and conservation these benefits are widely overstated -particularly in the case of busses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

Anyone who takes out an acoustic guitar at a house party is a bóllox. Absolutely no-one wants to hear you bring down the atmosphere with your rendition of Tracy Chapman's ''Fast Car''.

• Advertisement

Steak is totally over rated.

St.Spodo wrote: »
    Anyone who takes out an acoustic guitar at a house party is a bóllox. Absolutely no-one wants to hear you bring down the atmosphere with your rendition of Tracy Chapman's ''Fast Car''.

jealousy,delightful!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

jealousy,delightful!

Nobody is jealous of the numpty playing guitar at a party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

St.Spodo wrote: »
    Anyone who takes out an acoustic guitar at a house party is a bóllox.
    That is in no way an unpopular sentiment! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

that one day i will invent a seamless button that basically mute naggy women's voice with in a 10 meter distance

Dudess wrote: »
    That is in no way an unpopular sentiment! :pac:

It is :mad:

guitar singers :mad:

• Advertisement

Nobody is jealous of the numpty playing guitar at a party.

thats what they all say...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

My friend has a child that I think is ugly. I've said this to others. Doesn't go over well. I think deep down they might be thinking the same though.

Cheryl Cole has no personality and no sex appeal, pet.

I dont get why Paul Galvin (GAA Star) gets so much praise for his looks.

Dublin GAA fans mostly deserve the bandwagon tag they get.

Anyone who refers to an English soccer team as WE or US, and who has no tie to the city in question, is just deluded. Imagine a Cork man calling Antrim 'us'.

thats what they all say...

no a party =s every one getting messy

How ever sitting around camp fire singing combyeya is perfect for guitars :pac:

G.A.A is Cráp.

Tron Legacey was actually quite good

• Advertisement

HB brown sauce is far superior then tomato ketchup :)

jealousy,delightful!

The majority of amateur acoustic singers are not as talented as they think and even when they can there are more appropiate settings in which one can demonstrate their talents.

I don't like steak. everybody says it's a matter of it being cooked right, but no matter what way it's done, it's just not nice!

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    The majority of amateur acoustic singers are not as talented as they think and even when they can there are more appropiate settings in which one can demonstrate their talents.

ah come on,i don't think i have ever seen a bad guitar player at a a party,i mean i have plenty of friends who can sing and play Wonderwall perfectly and everybody knows thats one of the best songs ever written,which leads to the conclusion that the performers are great guitar players.

ah come on,i don't think i have ever seen a bad guitar player at a a party,i mean i have plenty of friends who can sing and play Wonderwall perfectly and everybody knows thats one of the best songs ever written,which leads to the performer being great guitar players.

i was with you on this, up until this post. my friend is a fantastic guitar player, and sometimes would play, and i can say with some degree of certainty that it is jealous. but nobody wants to hear wonderwall or similar ****e like that, done over and over. and no it definitely doesn't make the performer a great guitar player.

i was with you on this, up until this post. my friend is a fantastic guitar player, and sometimes would play, and i can say with some degree of certainty that it is jealous. but nobody wants to hear wonderwall or similar ****e like that, done over and over. and no it definitely doesn't make the performer a great guitar player.

ah but it does,they even end the night with the national anthem

Snowie wrote: »
    HB brown sauce is far superior then tomato ketchup :)

But surely you can't put it on chips or burgers.
    don't call me Shirley?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

But surely you can't put it on chips or burgers.
    don't call me Shirley?

Yeah you can.

Brown sauce is amazing on chips and burgers.

Apparently it's delicious in a cup of tea too.

a bit of floor spice makes everything nice,

Back me up here themadchef :D :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭Sheeps

I don't give a shit about the car emissions and their effect on the environment, or global warming for that matter.

• Advertisement

Yeah you can.

Brown sauce is amazing on chips and burgers.

That's just pure sauce perversion. I think you sauce perverts should be ostracized by your communities.

Irish media (radio in particular) devotes far too much coverage to Sport -particularly on Saturday afternoons

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

oasis are one of the best bands ever :)

i think children allowence shouldnt be got rid off

why would i pay for your children if you cnt afford them dont have them

get rid of all alowence most of them annoy me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Hehe deadly film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

Omackeral wrote: »
    My friend has a child that I think is ugly. I've said this to others. Doesn't go over well. I think deep down they might be thinking the same though.

Cheryl Cole has no personality and no sex appeal, pet.

I dont get why Paul Galvin (GAA Star) gets so much praise for his looks.

Dublin GAA fans mostly deserve the bandwagon tag they get.

Anyone who refers to an English soccer team as WE or US, and who has no tie to the city in question, is just deluded. Imagine a Cork man calling Antrim 'us'.

Sure alot of Northern Irish people support Kilkenny hurling because their hurling is ****e up there.

The reputation held by countries like the Netherlands and (particularly) Sweden for being openminded, tolerant, liberal societies can be somewhat of an exxaguration.

Both countries have their local equivalents of the Daily Mail/Joe Duffy brigade and some aspects of their history are pretty dubious.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭mightdomighty

Those with "the right to vote" should be tested before they vote, to ensure that they actually understand what a candidate stands for / what the motion is etc etc before their vote is acknowledged in the final count

e.g. very simple MCQ BEFORE they select their actual choice, the answer of which will cause their vote to be either discounted or included in the final count

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Those with "the right to vote" should be tested before they vote, to ensure that they actually understand what a candidate stands for / what the motion is etc etc before their vote is acknowledged in the final count

e.g. very simple MCQ BEFORE they select their actual choice, the answer of which will cause their vote to be either discounted or included in the final count

It should revert to the old system, only men and land owners can vote.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I find the word 'retard' more offensive than any racial slur or slur about sexual orientation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Irish soccer is hampered by the numbers of people following British teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭nicebutdim

Leinster people who support Munster Rugby should not be allowed to support either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

nicebutdim wrote: »
    Leinster people who support Munster Rugby should not be allowed to support either

I definately agree with the idea that people should support the teams from their own cities/regions.

Alot of the people say there's links with the family throughout generations. Hilarious how its usually the successful teams. Ya'll meet 50 Liverpool fans before you meet an Everton fan. Ditto for Arsenal and Crystal Palace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭AstridBean

Steak is totally over rated.

+1,000,000

Ditto for roast lamb.

In general the quality of the Irish news media leaves much to be desired.

Journalists regularly write/speak on matters they clearly know $hit all about /havent researched properly, rarely dig deep enough into the details behind a story, give politicians/clerics/business leaders a far too easy ride and overlook dissenting viewpoints while being scared sh1tless of being seen to go against the "consensus".

On European Issues coverage is particularly pi$spor although the British media are almost invariably even worse in the latter regard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I've never seen someone change their mind so quickly!

An opinion of mine that's unpopular among quite a lot of people I know.

The Guardian newspaper is fairly good for reporting on issues that other papers don't focus on, but is let down by its almost contrarian anti-conservative bias. I'm quite a lefty in many ways but I can predict their slant on any story before I look at it. The opinion pieces are the worst, almost as subjective as pieces in the Daily Mail, but at least better-researched and thought-out.

And despite its flaws it's still better than the vile tabloids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭AhSureTisGrand

Potatoes are a pretty crappy food. Unless they're roasted. Mmmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Desire2

After hours makes many worthy forums either without input or very little.
    its a case of Boards having a Forum that is a victim of its own success but to the detriment of other forums.

eventually most people give up on the other forums because it is like typing to oneself,do not bother to post much on less popular forums or close their account.

Not AH's fault.......... just sayin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

tajd wrote: »
    fail.
    crappiness of the sentence aside, what about people who could afford them but then fell on hard times for various reasons?
    Until you need them yourself of course...

Potatoes are a pretty crappy food. Unless they're roasted. Mmmmm

O M F G you TRAITOR!

Chips
    Mash
    Boiled potatoes
    Croquettes
    Potato waffles
    Crisps
    Roast spuds
    wedges
    Potato gratin
    Potato salad
    Baked potato
    Gnocchi
    Potato flour (dumpling, potato breads etc)
    Potato rosti
    Hash browns
    Instant potato
    Fried potato (from boiled leftovers)
    Vodka
    Poitin

The Potato is the greatest vegetable in the known universe. No doubt.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement