Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unpopular Opinions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

Too many people believe the Irish state is their own personal atm.

The sense of entitlement in this country is mental.

"Minority rights" groups in this country are one of the only sectors of the economy that are booming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

IrishAm wrote: »
    Too many people believe the Irish state is their own personal atm.

The sense of entitlement in this country is mental.

"Minority rights" groups in this country are one of the only sectors of the economy that are booming.

This is some A-grade stuff.

Original too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Shybookwormy

I don't quite like harry potter... :/ I don't see what all the hype is about tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

poisonated wrote: »
    Jaws and lord if the rings are awful movies

No way! Jaws is one of the best movies of all time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Everyone's ambition seems to be "travel" I have done a bit, I do hope to see the Antarctic someday. But in general I hate travel, I don't believe it broadens your horizons or makes you a more interesting or better person, I think you see more of a countries culture on TV then the sanitised tourist regions people actually travel to and as for foreign cuisine give me what i am use to anyday.

If somehow i could not travel again for the rest of my life I wouldn't be that bothered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Every choice you think you make was predetermined by the laws of physics. Unless of course the laws of physics doesn't apply to the area inside your skull and you have wizard like powers to change the laws of physics at will.

What if I flip a coin to decide?

Scrap the cap!

44leto wrote: »
    Everyone's ambition seems to be "travel" I have done a bit, I do hope to see the Antarctic someday. But in general I hate travel, I don't believe it broadens your horizons or makes you a more interesting or better person, I think you see more of a countries culture on TV then the sanitised tourist regions people actually travel to and as for foreign cuisine give me what i am use to anyday.

If somehow i could not travel again for the rest of my life I wouldn't be that bothered.

Mr. Pilkington? Is that you?

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Mr. Pilkington? Is that you?

You would presume, or was that Livingston.

Irish chipper chips are, on average, very poor.

I want mine golden and crispy. I dont mind waiting. Just dont serve me that anaemic looking soggy garbage.

A chip should be golden brown, crispy on the outside and fluffy on in the inside.

I hate floury potatoes.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭MadameGascar

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    What if the sex offender is female?

Sorry, I mean really that reproductive rights should be taken away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I don't quite like harry potter... :/ I don't see what all the hype is about tbh

I was dragged to see one by a girl once. It sucked. The special effects were second rate and the story had holes all over it.

And to everyone who says it's because I didn't read the books. They're children's books. No matter how you try to explain it, you're a grown adult who's reading a kids book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Its the ambition for young hormonal teens who have never lived outside of their home/ with the parents.

I wouldn't say it makes you a better or more interesting person but its an experience, everyone thrives toward past the age of 16.

You may say that you wouldn't want to travel again for the rest of your life, but if you had never done it before you would feel completely different about it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Not one tune written in the past 20 years will go down as an all time classic.
    Smells Like Teen Spirit & One were the last 2 of note & it's been garbage since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Music is still good, you are just getting old and nostalgia makes music seem better than it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭MetalDog

"The Catcher in the Rye" is an overrated pile of sh1t.

Only reason it has lasted is that Mark Chapman was apparently reading it when he missed Yoko Ono shot John Lennon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Shybookwormy

I don't see what's wrong with liking things that are mainstream. If something you like is mainstream (Justin Bieber, Miley Cyrus, Jonas Brothers etc) like it anyways... don't just flow with the unpopular opinion because you think it makes you seem cooler...

karaokeman wrote: »
    Its the ambition for young hormonal teens who have never lived outside of their home/ with the parents.

I wouldn't say it makes you a better or more interesting person but its an experience, everyone thrives toward past the age of 16.

You may say that you wouldn't want to travel again for the rest of your life, but if you had never done it before you would feel completely different about it.

That is probably true, as a young hormonal and adventurous teen and tween, I did my bit of emigration and travel. I enjoyed it to an extent but now I couldn't be arsed.

I will hop on a plane again, but I do not want to see the world. I have a recent travel ambition to walk or cycle the camino de Santiago but that will be more for the achievement then the travel aspect of that trip. But I think that is more a 40 thing, midlife crisis etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    Smells Like Teen Spirit & One were the last 2 of note & it's been garbage since.

The above statement is nostalgic garbage.

/controversial

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I will hop on a plane again, but I do not want to see the world. I have a recent travel ambition to walk or cycle the camino de Santiago but that will be more for the achievement then the travel aspect of that trip. But I think that is more a 40 thing, midlife crisis etc.
    I've been thinking the same :D. I dunno I certainly regret not having traveled as much as I'd like to in my youth. If I had time over again I would that's for sure. Then again if the circumstances were the same maybe not... The bit of travel I did do I enjoyed immensely. I loved seeing differences and commonalities and just new "stuff". If I ever came into real "fcuk off working world" money I'd defo travel a lot more. I never lived anywhere for any length of time though. Extended holidays at best. That makes a diff.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

MetalDog wrote: »
    "The Catcher in the Rye" is an overrated pile of sh1t.

Only reason it has lasted is that Mark Chapman was apparently reading it when he missed Yoko Ono shot John Lennon.

Less of that, and stop gabbing about "where I was born, and what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents were occupied before they had me, and all that David Copperfield kind of crap"

"Anyway, I keep picturing all these little kids playing some game in this big field of rye and all. Thousands of little kids, and nobody's around - nobody big, I mean - except me. And I'm standing on the edge of some crazy cliff. What I have to do, I have to catch everybody if they start to go over the cliff - I mean if they're running and they don't look where they're going I have to come out from somewhere and catch them. That's all I do all day. I'd just be the catcher in the rye and all. I know it's crazy, but that's the only thing I'd really like to be."

I read it as a teen and it was written for teenagers it connected with me, it is full of rebellion, angst and a sense of lost. But if I read it now. I would also think it was a load of crap. There are some great sequences and quotes in that book and even now I still rank it as one of the best most beautifully written book I have read. It is a classic and it will always speak to teenagers of every generation. It will last for a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭MetalDog

Less of that, and stop gabbing about "where I was born, and what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents were occupied before they had me, and all that David Copperfield kind of crap"

"Anyway, I keep picturing all these little kids playing some game in this big field of rye and all. Thousands of little kids, and nobody's around - nobody big, I mean - except me. And I'm standing on the edge of some crazy cliff. What I have to do, I have to catch everybody if they start to go over the cliff - I mean if they're running and they don't look where they're going I have to come out from somewhere and catch them. That's all I do all day. I'd just be the catcher in the rye and all. I know it's crazy, but that's the only thing I'd really like to be."

I read it as a teen and it was written for teenagers it connected with me, it is full of rebellion, angst and a sense of lost. But if I read it now. I would also think it was a load of crap. There are some great sequences and quotes in that book and even now I still rank it as one of the best most beautifully written book I have read. It is a classic and it will always speak to teenagers of every generation. It will last for a long time.

I read it as a teenager as well. I did read American Psycho before it though. Maybe that's it?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I don't think it will. It's pissypant drivel with no discernible plot and a detestable protagonist. It certainly didn't resonate with the teenager I was and I can't see it having any relevance to anyone today.

Wibbs wrote: »
    I've been thinking the same :D. I dunno I certainly regret not having traveled as much as I'd like to in my youth. If I had time over again I would that's for sure. Then again if the circumstances were the same maybe not... The bit of travel I did do I enjoyed immensely. I loved seeing differences and commonalities and just new "stuff". If I ever came into real "fcuk off working world" money I'd defo travel a lot more. I never lived anywhere for any length of time though. Extended holidays at best. That makes a diff.

Which is one of the aspects of the Camino which attracts me. First it is a long hike or cycle, you are roughing it and you are totally away from the grind, with others who you will meet feeling the same. There is a freedom to it that attracts me.

But some else said just buy a motorbike.

MetalDog wrote: »
    I read it as a teenager as well. I did read American Psycho before it though. Maybe that's it?

I read that as an adult and wow another classic for every generation, but yes more for teens.

• Advertisement

I disagree.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Those music choices have just made my point.
    So those tracks would stand comparison with Let it Be or Bohenian Rhapsody :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Cannabis may be safer than alcohol.
    BUT
    Any illegal drug is going to cause hardship, violence and death on it's journey to the customer, between the growing/processing, the cartels and smugglers and the suppliers/dealers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

BUT
    Any illegal drug is going to cause hardship, violence and death on it's journey to the customer, between the growing/processing, the cartels and smugglers and the suppliers/dealers.

Unless it;s grown in your back garden.

BUT

So true
    It is actually destroying nations, Mexico and central america, Columbia and to spite the war Afghanistan as well.

Mine is Cannabis is not a safe drug, I can spot a long term cannabis user a mile away. They turn into apathetic dudes and are a drain on society. They always dabble in other stuff and they condemn themselves and their families to poverty.

Also they say it is not addictive, but the lifestyle is, and why wouldn't it be. "Yeah man I smoke dope excessively, I don't work and I don't care,,,,Man,,,,"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Fizgig Bandicoot

They turn into apathetic dudes and are a drain on society. They always dabble in other stuff and they condemn themselves and their families to poverty.

Also they say it is not addictive, but the lifestyle is, and why wouldn't it be. "Yeah man I smoke dope excessively, I don't work and I don't care,,,,Man,,,,"

While that may be true of some people you know, I don't think it's indicative of all stoners. I know a lot who don't do any other drugs, some don't drink and they all work. And even of the ones I know that do dabble in other substances, not one of them has condemned their family to a life of poverty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

Those music choices have just made my point.
    So those tracks would stand comparison with Let it Be or Bohenian Rhapsody :rolleyes:

a) The beatles are the most overrated musical act in musical history.

b) Bohemian Rhapsody isnt all that. I cant decide if this or stairway to heaven is the most overhyped piece of crap of the century

I hate the whole "all music today is s*** and everything was great back in the day" argument.

If someone would just look at a list of all the #1's from the 80s they would see my point.

Also I don't hate things, just because they are mainstream. I happen to love Green Day's American Idiot album, I just can't stand all the manufactured autotune crap like The Wanted, Ke$ha, Nikki Manaj etc etc. Thats not being cool, thats appreciating music thats modern but genuinely made.

EDIT : For the comment about no songs today becoming a classic in the future I could have mentioned Wonderwall but that one song is almost as overrated as the Beatles entire back catalogue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Let It Be is a load of soppy ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Green day aren't mainstream?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

While that may be true of some people you know, I don't think it's indicative of all stoners. I know a lot who don't do any other drugs, some don't drink and they all work. And even of the ones I know that do dabble in other substances, not one of them has condemned their family to a life of poverty.

I found most hardcore stoners are lazy fecks. The gange didn't turn them that way, it just makes their boring lives less boring. There are plenty of ppl who smoke regularly and lead productive lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 stacey25

i hate Glee too!

Allowing accession state citizens free access to our labour market in 2004 was a massive, massive mistake.

Angels is a perfectly good example.. Everyone knows it, 99% of people will happily listen to it, most people like it and if you compare it's musical content to some of your classic bands, it's fairly on par. Even a lot of the 12yr old kids I teach here in Vietnam know and love that song.

My unpopular opinion is that Abba are musically brilliant but their sound doesn't really appeal anymore.

That one video utterly changed how I think about music. No exaggeration, I started to listen past the initial sound of music when I realised what Money Money Money sounds like on a guitar.

• Advertisement

Paparazzo wrote: »

See Ad By Google's post.

Whether you like Robbie Williams or not you can't slate Angels for its commercial success and critical acclaim.

So what if he came from a boyband, Rob is one of a kind and I know many metal heads that respect him as an artist.

The song was voted at the 2005 BRIT Awards as being the best song of the past 25 years in Britain.

Its also a popular song for funerals, the most popular karaoke song and common among couples who want to spice up their love life.

The English Cricket Team also used it to celebrate their victory at the 2010/11 Ashes series.

It has also been played at numerous weddings, clubs, graduations and so fort in the US.

And lets not forget the numerous compilation albums it has been included on and the countless covers of that one song etc etc.

Surely that can't mean Angels is not a classic especially when comparing it to the songs you listed (maybe barr R.E.M).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

I hate American "sitcoms" - a bunch of overzealous fools with a massive head of hair mouthing off thinking they're great. They are not funny, neither is most american based humour. Most of it is complete and utter sh1t.

See Ad By Google's post.

Whether you like Robbie Williams or not you can't slate Angels for its commercial success and critical acclaim.

So what if he came from a boyband, Rob is one of a kind and I know many metal heads that respect him as an artist.

The song was voted at the 2005 BRIT Awards as being the best song of the past 25 years in Britain.

Its also a popular song for funerals, the most popular karaoke song and common among couples who want to spice up their love life.

The English Cricket Team also used it to celebrate their victory at the 2010/11 Ashes series.

It has also been played at numerous weddings, clubs, graduations and so fort in the US.

And lets not forget the numerous compilation albums it has been included on and the countless covers of that one song etc etc.

Surely that can't mean Angels is not a classic especially when comparing it to the songs you listed (maybe barr R.E.M).
    OK, here's my unpopular opinion. The song Angels by Robbie Williams is shíte.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

I hate the whole "all music today is s*** and everything was great back in the day" argument.

If someone would just look at a list of all the #1's from the 80s they would see my point.

Well actually, if you look at the acts that had number 1s in the 80s, there are a lot more good ones than there are now. Bowie, Springsteen, Smiths, U2, New Order. You don't get those any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

Christian cross/first name/attention seeking fag, life slogan tattoos.
    i.e "Only god can judge me" are pathetic, unoriginal, braindead tattoos

All reality TV shows aimed at the useless, lazy and simpletons like X factor, I'm a celebrity, Tallafornia etc

People with over 30 convictions should be put down

Women with 3 or more kids from different fathers and doesn't work should receive NO welfare (shes a parasitic slut)

Drugs and prostitution should be legalised

MaxSteele wrote: »
    Women with 3 or more kids from different fathers and doesn't work should receive NO welfare (shes a parasitic slut)

Takes two to tango.

Scrap the cap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

ninja900 wrote: »
    Takes two to tango.

Really ??:eek:

**** argument. I have mates(girls) who've slept around and not one of them has a kid. Wear a johnny or make sure you have enough money instead of being a a lazy, unemployed baby factory.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Fizgig Bandicoot

Grayson wrote: »
    I found most hardcore stoners are lazy fecks. The gange didn't turn them that way, it just makes their boring lives less boring. There are plenty of ppl who smoke regularly and lead productive lives.

I do also know stoners who are complete wasters but they'd be like that anyway even if they didn't smoke, so your post is essentially what I meant:).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

My unpopular opinion is that Abba are musically brilliant but their sound doesn't really appeal anymore.

I'd agree - benny and bjorn were touched by the same genius as macca or b. wilson, but Abba's production hasn't aged well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Also I don't hate things, just because they are mainstream. I happen to love Green Day's American Idiot album, I just can't stand all the manufactured autotune crap like The Wanted, Ke$ha, Nikki Manaj etc etc. Thats not being cool, thats appreciating music thats modern but genuinely made.

EDIT : For the comment about no songs today becoming a classic in the future I could have mentioned Wonderwall but that one song is almost as overrated as the Beatles entire back catalogue
    Have you listened to the radio recently. Music today is so ****in bad.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement