Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unpopular Opinions.

Comments

Sea Filly wrote: »
    Why bother though? You've only got a small sample of women from either country to go on anyway.

Why bother thinking about your past and comparing it to the present? I thought that was pretty normal..
    Also when you realise that you're probably not going to live in Ireland again for a long time, you tend to think about the fact that you're not going to be with Irish girls for a long time. If I write down those thoughts and they come across as bitchy, so be it. I rarely do, if ever. But I think it's fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Why bother though? You've only got a small sample of women from either country to go on anyway.

Why bother thinking about your past and comparing it to the present? I thought that was pretty normal..
    Also when you realise that you're probably not going to live in Ireland again for a long time, you tend to think about the fact that you're not going to be with Irish girls for a long time. If I write down those thoughts and they come across as bitchy, so be it. I rarely do, if ever. But I think it's fine.

You're missing the point. It's not about immigrants, it's about guys who say that Irish women are crap abd picky, and that foreign women much better and how that sounds bitter; if they are dating foreign women why so bitter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

You're missing the point. It's not about immigrants, it's about guys who say that Irish women are crap abd picky, and that foreign women much better and how that sounds bitter; if they are dating foreign women why so bitter?

Exactly. Outside of Ireland, I've only gone out with Welsh and English fellas, so not mad exotic, but I never compared them to Irish men while I was with them, as I don't have any bitterness towards Irish men (despite experiencing the odd dickish one) so why would I? I was simply in the moment, enjoying those relationships. Why are the men on AH who bitch about Irish women and who are in relationships with non-Irish women so bothered?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭BeerSteakBirds

My last 2 relationships have been with foreign ladies. It's difficult to draw any conclusions without being stupid. All I can say is I met some hot Irish girls who were only looking for money and I met some plain Irish girls who didn't care what I had. In that sense I never met an Irish girl who put love ahead and I still wonder about that.
    Of course I did meet hot foreign girls who wanted money and to screw me over but I also met hot foreign girls who didn't want anything but me and were extremely good partners. I also found that the foreign ladies in Ireland were intelligent and had a bit of get up and go to them because they had made the effort to get here in the first place and usually with very little help. At this time Irish girls the same age would often be living at home unless they too had emigrated and played the part of being ''foreign'' while in another country lol. Everyone is a bit more relaxed when they are in their hometown. I suspect the foreigners are the same.
    Everyone deserves the benefit of the doubt and at least 5 to 10 minutes conversation before you write them off. Most of us will have Irish daughters one day so be careful what sort of reputation you give to Irish women.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

I can see what you mean. There are good and bad everywhere. The one thing I would say is that many Irish women wear fake tan from a bottle and they just look dirty. Also ones that put foundation on their chests and neck.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Carles Puyol

Regarding women in this country, give me an Irish girl over a foreign (provided they have a similar rating) one every day of the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

For me it is the sense of humour of Irish girls, and English girls. Not getting that from Eastern Europeans I work with.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yea I have to agree there DH. Could never really understand that aspect of it at all. Even if the guy in question is actually going out with a non Irish woman, it sounds like over compensation to me. Personally I couldn't give a tupenny feck who any other bloke chooses to go out with. Why should I, I'm not going out with them?

Most of the time IMHO this whole argument is one of slanted viewpoint/perception rarely rooted in reality, applying one or two bad experiences to an entire group. It's a silly meme really. Irish women are pains/ugly compared to non Irish? Arse. Bear in mind this is coming from someone who has gone out longer term with more non Irish women than locals. No real plan involved, it just went down that way, or the locals had a secret meeting and voted agin me...

Now if you personally are more drawn to the look of say Latin women or Eastern European or Asian or African etc then cool beans, whatever floats your boat and yes you may not be as drawn to the "Irish look" if such a thing even exists*, however that's different. As for personality, there's feck all diff in my experience. Cultural diffs yea to some degree. EG Asian women would tend to be more reserved sorta stuff, again depending on what her particular culture is. One size doesn't fit all.

Plus you hear this same thing from some blokes in damn near every culture you care to mention. This notion of greener grass in the ladies from "elsewhere". I've known Italian men who consider their women overbearing and needy, Polish guys who think their women are hard work. It's generally utter bollocks.

*It kinda does, but there's still a lot of variability too. I've met Italians that could pass for say Corkonians and vice versa

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I really don't mind Sarah Jessica Parker. Everyone tells me she's supposed to be annoying, and that she looks like like My Friend Flicka, but I think that's way over the top. Yes, Carrie Bradshaw (Sex & the City) is annoying, but Carrie Bradshaw is a fictional version of another person. What is wrong with me?

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Advertisement

bnt wrote: »
    I really don't mind Sarah Jessica Parker. Everyone tells me she's supposed to be annoying, and that she looks like like My Friend Flicka, but I think that's way over the top. Yes, Carrie Bradshaw (Sex & the City) is annoying, but Carrie Bradshaw is a fictional version of another person. What is wrong with me?

Well, I think she not good-looking but other than that, I don't mind her at all. And kudos to her for making it in a profession where women are usually required to be pretty/beautiful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Ireland definatly has some very good looking women. If you need evidence of that just walk around UCD for a half hour! As regards Irish women being stuck up? I think maybe a few are but only the celtic tiger cubs and no more than any other nationality. The most stuck up women I know are not Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

Most of the time IMHO this whole argument is one of slanted viewpoint/perception rarely rooted in reality, applying one or two bad experiences to an entire group. It's a silly meme really. Irish women are pains/ugly compared to non Irish? Arse. Bear in mind this is coming from someone who has gone out longer term with more non Irish women than locals. No real plan involved, it just went down that way, or the locals had a secret meeting and voted agin me...

I personally think Irish women for a large part are fantastic and sexy. The accent especially floats my boat.

My unpopular opinion:

I dont have a problem with anyones religious beliefs. In fact some of the atheists are just being intolerant about other peoples lifestyle choices. Im not religious but I have an aunt who is a mass goer. Shes not doing anyone any harm and I dont see how atheists calling her and idiot for believing in (insert religious belief here) are doing the world a favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

steddyeddy wrote: »
    My unpopular opinion:

I dont have a problem with anyones religious beliefs. In fact some of the atheists are just being intolerant about other peoples lifestyle choices. Im not religious but I have an aunt who is a mass goer. Shes not doing anyone any harm and I dont see how atheists calling her and idiot for believing in (insert religious belief here) are doing the world a favour.
    I don't think that's productive either. If religion gives some people peace of mind then so be it. My mother is the same but she has said that if I was ever in a vegetative state, she wouldn't give me a bit of dignity and turn off the machine.

That's where I start having problems with religion.If religious people kept their beliefs to themselves and it didn't enter the public realm or affect other people, I doubt anyone would have a problem. Unfortunately it doesn't work like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭lil'bug

I like Nicolas Cage :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Regarding women in this country, give me an Irish girl over a foreign (provided they have a similar rating) one every day of the week.

Is it stamped under their armpit?

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    I don't think that's productive either. If religion gives some people peace of mind then so be it. My mother is the same but she has said that if I was ever in a vegetative state, she wouldn't give me a bit of dignity and turn off the machine.

That's where I start having problems with religion.If religious people kept their beliefs to themselves and it didn't enter the public realm or affect other people, I doubt anyone would have a problem. Unfortunately it doesn't work like that.

Good point. Now that you reminded me another circumstance that I would take issue with religious beliefs is when they inform laws like gay rigths ect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Radiohead are the most depressing band ever. I wonder how many people have slit their wrists listening them?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 348 ✭✭Actor

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Good point. Now that you reminded me another circumstance that I would take issue with religious beliefs is when they inform laws like gay rigths ect.

Catholic thought has reasoned for quite some time on the issue of homosexuality. It's pretty clear - no legislator should facilitate this issue or they will find themselves unwelcome at the altar rail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

MJ23 wrote: »
    Radiohead are the most depressing band ever. I wonder how many people have slit their wrists listening them?

I'd say that might be a popular enough one, although I don't think they're too bad myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,908 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

You've obviously never listened to Joy Division

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭lil'bug

Suas11 wrote: »
    You've obviously never listened to Joy Division

Or The Cure!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Ahh the cure are happy enough to be fair. much moreso than their rep suggests.

you want depressing? Leonard fcuking Cohen. Jesus. A whole career based on a droning non singer with three "tunes" only the changed title and lyrics making any diff.

Never got the deal with Lou Reed either tbh. Far superior to someone like that cohen chump, but still...

Pink Floyd? Defo have their moments early on, but mostly pretentious suburban public schoolboys wittering. Music for middle management types who hope they have taste. Beige music and horribly stuck in the 70's IMHO.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »

you want depressing? Leonard fcuking Cohen. Jesus. A whole career based on a droning non singer with three "tunes" only the changed title and lyrics making any diff.

:mad:

Leonard Cohen Bluey? Really?

Another poster reminded me of Frank Zappa. Loved reading the chap's writings and interviews. Seemed like a really cool and nice dude, but his music? Good Jesus. Ditto for Captain Beefheart and all that shíte. The Grateful dead? Again seemed like nice(if drug addled) blokes, really cool with fans, but how the jumpin fcuk were they so hugely popular? And they were hugely popular. Biggest touring band of the 80's IIRC. Long winded dirge music. I suppose if you're off your box on lysergic it makes sense

yep, have to admit i like him :cool:
    sisters of mercy, stranger song, last year's man, dance me to the end of love...

and "thousand kisses deep" from his recent growly days :D

just don't insult r.e.m. and we'll be cool ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I don't know all their stuff, but I think OK Computer is depressing in a trippy, cathartic way, if that makes sense. Lucky is where they come out of the tunnel, and The Tourist is a nice boost of energy at the end.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

bnt wrote: »
    I don't know all their stuff, but I think OK Computer is depressing in a trippy, cathartic way, if that makes sense. Lucky is where they come out of the tunnel, and The Tourist is a nice boost of energy at the end.

It gets progressively worse (or better, if you like that kind of thing) thereafter, IMO. I used to love them but I simply can't stand to listen to any more of the long, drawn-out warbling on their later albums.

Radiohead up to, and including, OK Computer are excellent. Love them. After that, meh.

But what's wrong with being depressing anyway? :)

I always think of The Cure as a happy band. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

The Godfather III was the best of them all

• Advertisement

I always think of The Cure as a happy band. :confused:
    Ditto

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Pink Floyd? Defo have their moments early on, but mostly pretentious suburban public schoolboys wittering. Music for middle management types who hope they have taste. Beige music and horribly stuck in the 70's IMHO.

ahhh have a cigar will ya :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

you want depressing? Leonard fcuking Cohen..

Some of us like depressing music...

Wasn't he the victim of a multi-million dollar rip off by his money managers too? A bit of depression is understandable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

mikemac1 wrote: »
    The Godfather III was the best of them all

I've seen some unpopular stuff on this thread, but that goes too far. it's just wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Not in my opinion

The end scence outside the opera house when they mute the sound cuts me up every time :o

prinz wrote: »
    Wasn't he the victim of a multi-million dollar rip off by his money managers too? A bit of depression is understandable.

Yeah, that was terrible. I mean, I'd feel sorry for a millionaire who remained a millionaire after being robbed (a la Adam Clayton), robbery is robbery after all, and trust being broken like that is awful. But I especially feel sorry for Cohen as, AFAIK, he was nearly completely cleaned out! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

krudler wrote: »
    South Park is both clever and funny, its gotten consistently better over the years, some of the jokes are razor sharp in it.

The last series was disappointing tho...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Bryan?

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Unpopular Opinions.

Two former hotel workers, Avinash Treebhoowoon and Sandip Moneea, have been found not guilty of the murder of Michaela McAreavey in Mauritius.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

realies wrote: »
    Unpopular Opinions.

Two former hotel workers, Avinash Treebhoowoon and Sandip Moneea, have been found not guilty of the murder of Michaela McAreavey in Mauritius.

How is that an opinion?

Grimebox wrote: »
    How is that an opinion?

The opinion of some of the jury was that they are innocent... or so it seems.
    I don't know enough about the case to say for sure that it was a wrong decision but its certainly a surprising one.

How is that an opinion?

The opinion of some of the jury was that they are innocent... or so it seems.
    I don't know enough about the case to say for sure that it was a wrong decision but its certainly a surprising one.

Why would it be surprising? Sure they've been reporting for weeks about how the police allegedly forced them to confess and the things they said and did to michaela's fella.

So the jury can't really convict them if they're not sure. No real proper evidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

How is that an opinion?

Its an opinion of 12 people and while I can accept there opinion of not guilty,There opinions seems very unpopular in Ireland atm.

realies wrote: »
    How is that an opinion?

Its an opinion of 12 people and while I can accept there opinion of not guilty,There opinions seems very unpopular in Ireland atm.

But why convict them if they're not guilty? That's hardly popular either, just to imprison someone for the sake of it.

Neeson wrote: »
    But why convict them if they're not guilty? That's hardly popular either, just to imprison someone for the sake of it.

The third guy saw them going into the room and heard Michaela shout for help. He didn't help but was given immunity in exchange for giving evidence. There's not enough public info to convict them but surely the investigation should have all the necessary evidence and not just a forced confession?

• Advertisement

Yeah, that was terrible. I mean, I'd feel sorry for a millionaire who remained a millionaire after being robbed (a la Adam Clayton), robbery is robbery after all, and trust being broken like that is awful. But I especially feel sorry for Cohen as, AFAIK, he was nearly completely cleaned out! :eek:
    Yea like you I felt sorry for him at the time he was really fcuked over. Though he was a moany git beforehand. :D

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Not in my opinion

The end scence outside the opera house when they mute the sound cuts me up every time :o

That scene is a masterpiece.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

To lead on from the above, while not the best of the trilogy, GF3 is a lot better than it's generally given credit for being.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,908 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

To lead on from the above, while not the best of the trilogy, GF3 is a lot better than it's generally given credit for being.

I totally agree. It's been given such a bad reputation because it's constantly compared to the first two movies which it has no hope of living up to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

I love marzipan; I think it's fuppin' delicious.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement