Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big bag of salt for driveways

Options
  • 15-11-2011 9:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭

Anyone know of places in South Dublin that are selling big bags of salt for your driveway/sidewalk for when/if the snow arrives.?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Lidl are selling bags of salt. Not sure of the price though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Tippex

they are €2.99 per bag in lidl.

BTW its footpath not sidewalk ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Tippex wrote: »
    they are €2.99 per bag in lidl.
    I spotted that and I will probably pick them up, but they are pretty small. However I guess at that price you can't go wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 46,160 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Just make sure you dont put it on concrete.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

muffler wrote: »
    Just make sure you dont put it on concrete.

Why?

• Advertisement

54kroc wrote: »
    Why?
    A lot of the bagged salt is "Basalt" which chemically interacts with the concrete and basically causes it to disintegrate. Trust me, I know from my experience last winter.

2 things to note and I know this is not the place for discussion but ordinary table salt is fine and the basalt doesnt appear to do any damage to tarmac.

The guys in the DIY forum would address concerns on this issue if you wanted to open a thread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

So theres obviously no builders providers on the southside of Dublin at all, that sell 25kg bags de-icing salt

No builders providers like Heaton Buckleys,Chadwicks,Smiths,Goodwins and so on.

paddy147 wrote: »
    Do people ever use their cop on and common sense here??
    Who's that supposed to be directed at?

paddy147 wrote: »
    Because theres obviously no builders providers on the southside of Dublin that sell 25kg bags de-icing salt

No builders providers like Heaton Buckleys,Chadwicks,Smiths,Goodwins and so on.
    And the above has contributed to this thread in what way?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

In other words,go to a builders providers and you will get large bags of it very easily.

Its not rocket science.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

muffler wrote: »
    A lot of the bagged salt is "Basalt" which chemically interacts with the concrete and basically causes it to disintegrate. Trust me, I know from my experience last winter.

2 things to note and I know this is not the place for discussion but ordinary table salt is fine and the basalt doesnt appear to do any damage to tarmac.

The guys in the DIY forum would address concerns on this issue if you wanted to open a thread.

That explains what happened to our concrete patio, I thought it was the ice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Cheap dishwasher salt from Lidl works a treat on ice,my local store sold out last winter as people copped on to the idea of using it.Safe to use on concrete too.
    You don't have to spread it too thick,just scatter it using your hands and it'll dissolve ice amazingly quickly.

Advertisement