Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Missing Landlord

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Kosseegan

So now you admit that the Rent Tribunal pays for the work done by staff of the PRTB when working on Rent Tribunal matters. The PRTB itself rightly has nothing to do with Rent Tribunal matters. A newspaper headline is just a comment, not a definitive statement of the legal position.There are two distinct bodies who share a common staff with the budgest apportioned according to the staff resources consumed.
    The PRTB does not run or administer the Rent Tribunal. To do so would be beyond it's powers.
    The PRTB in fact refused to do something within it's powers a few years ago and had the law changed when it was found to be wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Kosseegan wrote: »
    So now you admit that the Rent Tribunal pays for the work done by staff of the PRTB when working on Rent Tribunal matters. The PRTB itself rightly has nothing to do with Rent Tribunal matters. A newspaper headline is just a comment, not a definitive statement of the legal position.There are two distinct bodies who share a common staff with the budgest apportioned according to the staff resources consumed.
    The PRTB does not run or administer the Rent Tribunal. To do so would be beyond it's powers.
    The PRTB in fact refused to do something within it's powers a few years ago and had the law changed when it was found to be wrong!

So despite the fact that the Annual Report of the Rent Tribunal states that the PRTB provides its Admin support, and despite the fact that the PRTB states in it's latest Annual Report (copied and pasted below) that it provides the admin functions for the Rent Tribunal, you still think they've nothing to do with each other???!!!

So despite having to ring the PRTB to query matters to do with the Rent Tribunal, despite having to e-mail the PRTB query matters to do with the Rent Tribunal, despite having to deal with PRTB staff on matters to do with the Rent Tribunal, despite the Rent Tribunal having no website of it's own (all the info is on the PRTB website) despite the PRTB using its funding to run the Rent Tribunal, despite the Rent Tribunal having no dedicated staff of it's own but PRTB staff who do so "on a part-time basis and as required" the PRTB has nothing to do with the Rent Tribunal.

In fact two of the Board members of the Rent Tribunal are also on the Board of the PRTB.

"On 1 October 2009 the administrative functions of the Rent Tribunal were transferred from the Department of the Environment, Heritage and Local Government to the PRTB in accordance with one of the recommendations made in the McCarthy Report."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Kosseegan

So despite the fact that the Annual Report of the Rent Tribunal states that the PRTB provides its Admin support, and despite the fact that the PRTB states in it's latest Annual Report (copied and pasted below) that it provides the admin functions for the Rent Tribunal, you still think they've nothing to do with each other???!!!

"On 1 October 2009 the administrative functions of the Rent Tribunal were transferred from the Department of the Environment, Heritage and Local Government to the PRTB in accordance with one of the recommendations made in the McCarthy Report."

There are two distinct bodies with separate legal personalities. If I was a long term tenant under the 1983 ACt would I sue the PRTB if I was dealt with unfairly or otherwise?
    What the report is talking about is an adminstrative exercise, not a legal one. The functions were not transferred. A transfer could only happen if the law was changed, which it hasn't been. Resource sharing is not a transfer of functions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Kosseegan wrote: »
    There are two distinct bodies with separate legal personalities. If I was a long term tenant under the 1983 ACt would I sue the PRTB if I was dealt with unfairly or otherwise?
    What the report is talking about is an adminstrative exercise, not a legal one. The functions were not transferred. A transfer could only happen if the law was changed, which it hasn't been. Resource sharing is not a transfer of functions.

I fully agree with all of that.

That is completely different to what you originally said though.

Do we agree that both the PRTB and Rent Tribunal are separate legal entities who share the same resources provided by the PRTB?

Advertisement