Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shoes need to be fixed....

Options
  • 03-05-2011 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know where I can get a shoe mended? I tried Mr Mint, but they said they would have to send it away, which sounds like unnecessary hassle for what should be a simple job.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

James Heffernan on Sea road, excellent at what he does; he's near the Jez opposite the Simon shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭emptybladder

James Heffernan on Sea road, excellent at what he does; he's near the Jez opposite the Simon shop.

+1,000,000. He's the best in the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

There is also a lad in old mervue near the shops

He is good too, but I find James Heffernan is nicer to deal with. And he will try to fix anything. My dog destroyed the side of a(favourite) boot of mine, ripping a big bit off the side of it and ripping part of the zip out, and you would not believe the fix up job he did on it, it was outstanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Old guy in Mervue by the Indian and hairdressers. He is a little difficult to deal with because he's deaf but he does a good job. He's also the only person I'd trust to get a key cut properly

• Advertisement

Wompa1 wrote: »
    He's also the only person I'd trust to get a key cut properly

He cut two keys backwards on me before:p

Colleran's down by the Crane are the best for key cutting, it's amazing what those men know about locks. One of them can be moody as hell tho:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

He cut two keys backwards on me before:p

Colleran's down by the Crane are the best for key cutting, it's amazing what those men know about locks. One of them can be moody as hell tho:D

Really? I've gone to him twice before, even though he was well away from where I was living at the time..both time I'd tried a few different place first and the keys wouldn't work but he got them right.

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Really? I've gone to him twice before, even though he was well away from where I was living at the time..both time I'd tried a few different place first and the keys wouldn't work but he got them right.

Yup. I went back and he did them again, but they still weren't right. So in the end I gave up and went back to Collerans. The guy in Mervue did other keys at the same time that were fine tho, that said. However, if I'm getting keys cut, I prefer to get them cut and be done with it, as opposed to having to go back to have them redone. Collerans can be awkward to get to, but it's worth it imo.

I should add that I have also had shoe repairs done by the guy in Mervue and he is good and quite reasonable, but I think the work of the guy in Sea road is neater, and I always feel that he is very careful with your shoes(this matters if they are expensive shoes for an occasion etc)

There is/was a cobbler guy in Shantalla, don't know if he is still there or not, but I used him once, and while he was ok, he was SO expensive. I paid way over the odds, so I would advise to go elsewhere tbh.

(I don't spend my life going to cobblers I might add, I'm just a big fan of having shoes heeled/soled properly, so I have a lot of experience of cobblers in Galway:D)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

The deaf dude down the west is by a mile the best, he's opposite The Crane pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭pseudonym1

AFAIK The guy in westside near the hospital off shantalla road is Sean the shoemaker. I got a pair of boots heeled there berfore and he charged me €5 Which was scandalously cheap imo. Heffernan on sea road is good too plus cute nice guy works in there.

In centre of town the place opposite Food for thought cafe have excellent standards and not a rip off either.

• Advertisement

pseudonym1 wrote: »
    AFAIK The guy in westside near the hospital off shantalla road is Sean the shoemaker. I got a pair of boots heeled there berfore and he charged me €5 Which was scandalously cheap imo. Heffernan on sea road is good too plus cute nice guy works in there.

Either you did well then, or I got exceptionally ripped off. Maybe he gives different prices to different people perhaps? Which is a huge turn off in itself imo.

Cute guy in Heffernan's is his son I believe:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

pseudonym1 wrote: »
    AFAIK The guy in westside near the hospital off shantalla road is Sean the shoemaker..

~Wow, this guy is still open down there.

I must drop in during the week. My daughter had a beautiful pair of brown knee high Next boots for only a 2 months before the back of one came away completely. Be great if he could repair them...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭45mhrc7evo1d3n

Does anyone know if the cobblers in Mervue has closed down? Checked this morning and this afternoon and the shutters were down. No sign to indicate opening hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Balou1234

I'm looking for someone in Galway city who repairs dancing shoes. There's a hole forming in the sole of them.

I'm quite attached to these shoes so a botched job would be a disaster. :D

Can anyone recommend where I should go?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Galway Shoe Repair on Abbeygate Street is excellent (it's the place opposite Food For Thought mentioned above). The guy in there was in Timmons in Corbettcourt for a long time. Very good, and very reasonably priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

James Heffernan on Sea road is your only man. He's at it for years, exceptionally good at what he does, and reasonably priced too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Does anyone know if the cobblers in Mervue has closed down? Checked this morning and this afternoon and the shutters were down. No sign to indicate opening hours.

I picked up shoes from there on Saturday so I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭crazyhorse

Big thumbs up for this guy. Had an old pair of shoes repaired here that looked like they were on the way out. Still holding up well 4 months on and the cost for repair was very reasonable.

Advertisement