Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time bill

Options
  • 15-11-2011 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭

Hi live in a 2 bed apartment, 2 adults 2 kids,

got my first ESB bill for a period of 22 days @ 79.87euro

is that high or average??

we have the immersion on for showers at night and morning

don't use storage heating

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi battries not included,

It can be difficult to say what's average, but continuing with that pattern of usage would lead to a bi-monthly bill of about €220 (based on a 61-day cycle). For 2 adults and 2 children it isn't too bad, but there are always some energy-saving measures that can be taken.

Our Appliance Calculator could help you out here (it also comes as a Smartphone App); we also have a general energy efficiency section on our website, which includes tips and information on lighting and heating, plus our Energy Saving Wizard and 3D Tour of an Energy Efficient House.
    we have the immersion on for showers at night and morning

don't use storage heating

Do you have a Nightsaver meter, or a Standard 24hr meter? If you use approx. 25% of your usage during the hours of 11pm and 8am (or midnight to 9am in summertime), then you may benefit from the Nightsaver. You can find further information here.

Hope this helps,

Thanks,

David.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭battries not included

It can be difficult to say what's average, but continuing with that pattern of usage would lead to a bi-monthly bill of about €220 (based on a 61-day cycle). For 2 adults and 2 children it isn't too bad, but there are always some energy-saving measures that can be taken.

Our Appliance Calculator could help you out here (it also comes as a Smartphone App); we also have a general energy efficiency section on our website, which includes tips and information on lighting and heating, plus our Energy Saving Wizard and 3D Tour of an Energy Efficient House.

Do you have a Nightsaver meter, or a Standard 24hr meter? If you use approx. 25% of your usage during the hours of 11pm and 8am (or midnight to 9am in summertime), then you may benefit from the Nightsaver. You can find further information here.

Hope this helps,

Thanks,

David.

Hi david, i'm not sure which kind of meter i have, the meter is down in the basement of apartment, it has two readings (night & day) i checked my price plan and i am on the valusaver option.

not sure about the electricty box inside the apartment (the fuse box) as it has a setting on it for night and day but i dont know which one to put it at :(

i'm not sure which kind of meter i have, the meter is down in the basement of apartment, it has two readings (night & day)

I can check this for you if you PM me your account details. In general, if you have an older style analogue meter (with a revolving disc that clocks up usage) having both day and night readings would automatically mean you are on a Nightsaver tariff. However, if you have a digital meter, both day and night readings are included, as this would help people who are on a 24hr tariff to gauge their suitability for the Nightsaver before committing to it.
    not sure about the electricty box inside the apartment (the fuse box) as it has a setting on it for night and day but i dont know which one to put it at frown.gif

The timeswitch for night and day would be next to the meter (if it's analogue) or integrated into the meter itself (if it is digital). It wouldn't normally be near the fusebox. In any case, the timeswitch works automatically - customers can't (and shouldn't) adjust this, and it is protected by a seal. After 11pm, all your electricity usage should be charged at the cheaper rate, until 8am the next morning when it reverts to the day rate.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Thanks,

David.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

that bill would have been estimated no?

take your own readings if you can and either contact the esb by phone or submit the readings online.

regarding the digital meters David, does the 1 on the display stand for day rate and 2 for night rate?

I can check this for you if you PM me your account details. In general, if you have an older style analogue meter (with a revolving disc that clocks up usage) having both day and night readings would automatically mean you are on a Nightsaver tariff. However, if you have a digital meter, both day and night readings are included, as this would help people who are on a 24hr tariff to gauge their suitability for the Nightsaver before committing to it.

I will PM you my details, thank you.

The timeswitch for night and day would be next to the meter (if it's analogue) or integrated into the meter itself (if it is digital). It wouldn't normally be near the fusebox. In any case, the timeswitch works automatically - customers can't (and shouldn't) adjust this, and it is protected by a seal. After 11pm, all your electricity usage should be charged at the cheaper rate, until 8am the next morning when it reverts to the day rate.

I have uploaded a picture of the fuse box inside my apartment, I have not touched anything on it but am not sure what is it for....

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 23 Verified rep Electric Ireland: Orla

Hi who ru,

Its actually the other way around: On the digital meter screen, 2 indicates the day rate, and 1 indicates the night.

Thanks
    Orla

• Company Representative Posts: 23 Verified rep Electric Ireland: Orla

Hi batteries not included,

The attached is not your electricity meter, so unfortunately I cannot tell from this what type of meter you have. If you could send on your account number by PM to me, I can check straight away for you.

Thanks
    Orla

Hi orla, it was meant david :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi Battries not included,

David has actually been out of the office since yesterday and will return Monday. Would you like me to continue dealing with your query?

Regards,
    Una

Hi Battries not included,

David has actually been out of the office since yesterday and will return Monday. Would you like me to continue dealing with your query?

Regards,
    Una

Hi Una, no rush ill await david response on Monday , thanks though :)

• Advertisement

Thanks battries not included, got your PM. :) Looking into it now.

Advertisement