Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vhi Cover

• 15-11-2011 12:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭

Hi guys ,Just have a query on a pre-existing codition,I am due to go into hospital and have an operation ,now i broke my vhi 3 years ago due to been unemployed at that point and took it back up just after the year when i was working again !

I will pay for the operation and thats not the issue ,I was wondering do/can i still use my VHI to cover the private/semi-private room costs ,2-3 nights stay etc ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

Check that VHI didn't put you on Plan P - a redundancy plan for the year to maintain your served waiting periods. If so ,they may recognise the cover. Otherwise it will be 5 years before pre existing conditions will be covered- not ust the procedure but the accommodation also. Can you leave the system and return as a public patient ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭okiss

I would contact your consultant and ask them for the vhi procedure number for the operation you are having. All procedures have a number and once you ring vhi with this number they can check what cover if any you have for this.
    If you are not covered with vhi you can pay this yourself as a private patient or you can go as a public patient.
    All public patients have to pay a charge for hospital stays but this set a a max of €750 a year.
    If you have to pay either as a private or public patient you may be able to get some of this money back by filling in a med one form at the end of the year.

Advertisement