If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q re media streamer, speakers and TV

Options
  • 15-11-2011 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi,

What I'm looking for is this:

1. a media streamer which will play AVI, MKV, etc. files over wired network connection. Music (MP3, etc) would be good too as would ability to play Bluray. This will connect to a Philips 52PFL7404H/12 TV I got from Ashley in the Philips shop in Dublin. I've looked at the Onkyo TX-NR609 but not sure if this is what I need.

2. a set of 5.1 speakers, we're not really audiophiles but my wife likes things to fit in with the overall "look" if you know what I mean - this rules out floor standing ones in favour of small, modern-looking piano black ones.

3. a 40/42 in TV for a different room. A Smart TV or just one which can use Skype would be great, using a Ethernet network connection. Ability to use a wireless or bluetooth keyboard (or iPhone app) would be great too.

Price is important but would really love to tick all the above boxes.

Thanks a mill

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Ashley

Hi HazardsOn

Hope you are still enjoying your mighty 52PFL7404:D
    Nice screen size that......................

I'll jump right to question 3

I'd say the latest model 7 series TV in 42" would suit you down to the ground, its the 42PFL7404H
    This is a Smart NET TV that can be wired into your router and you can control it via your iPhone/touch/Pad (even an Andriod Phone as well) great for interacting with the TV's Net features

It's not Skype compatiable however - is this a deal breaker??

This and its 47" bro have been massively popular since launch - the sell for €999.99 but i'll pm you a Boardies Special Price.

For Questions 1 and 2 have a chat with the lads in Richer Sounds - they'll be able to look after you with these - lots of things to temp you with up there - check out www.richersounds.ie for a taste

Cheers
    Ash

• Registered Users Posts: 12 HazardsOn

Thanks for the PM Ash, and PM'd you back.

In relation to Q1 and 2, I've done a bit of research and I'm pretty sure that what I want is a Panasonic SC BTT 370 system. Now, this is on the Richersounds UK site but not on the .ie one. Could you guys get a hold of one and ship it down to me here in Wicklow, and if so what's the price.

Thanks a million,

Hazards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Dave

Hi Hazards.

Unfortunately the Panasonic system is showing as in-store only on the UK site as stock of these is very tight.

It's not one that I can ship at the moment.

The 5.1 systems in general are limited in terms of connections for connecting other equipment and they are also not as good on the sound front as having a dedicated surround amplifier.

If this is the one that you have settled on, then I can order it in for collection in Belfast, but the way that I would look at this is that this system can only ever be used as a system and it cannot be upgraded etc.

I personally would go with a surround system to get the best sound and not worry about the networking features as the TV will handle most of this. Combined with a blu ray player and you will have a good sound system, good bluray playback and media streaming via the TV.

This would be a much more viable option for the long term, for connections and for upgrading and would wipe the floor with the Panasonic in terms of sound quality and build....and I do appreciate that it may be a bit more expensive.

Let me know what you think.

ATB

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 12 HazardsOn

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the reply - but, the big question now is what would you recommend. Again, my must have requirement is - a receiver which is network enabled and able to play AVI and MKV files.

I'll assume I can hook up my blu-ray player but will need a recommendation for a set of surround sound speakers too.

Thanks again,

Hazards

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.