Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Minecraft Launch Countdown: Minecraft Goes Gold

• 15-11-2011 1:09pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So with inevitable launch of Minecraft this Friday, I've made a thread for general discussion and its upcoming reviews.

So what do you think? Will reviews be a resounding success or will Minecraft fall flat on its feet for its seemingly endless bugs? What will the release update bring us? Will we be surprised once or twice? What are you doing Friday night? :pac:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Too... Much.. Potions!

Really no need for them, I'm thinking it will get good reviews! not amazing, but good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 670 ✭✭✭jujumushu

What am I doing Friday night? Getting drunk and playing Minecraft obv. :D

Haven't played any of the pre-releases because if even the official updates cause issues then...you know!

So excited but reckon it's gonna turn into a 1.5 disaster again :(

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Blue Shamrock

Only just started playing minecraft on my nephews computer recently and have got addicted will the game be available in shops or is it download only?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Willbbz

After reading the OP I thought that the end of Minecraft was nigh but fortunately..
    Notch wrote:
    For one, the version we deem as the “full version” won’t be very different at all from what the game was like a week ago, and we’ll keep adding features after the release as well(...)

Friday night? Probably will be hittin' the bottle because with all updates; mods and plugins tend to break :o

Willbbz wrote: »
    After reading the OP I thought that the end of Minecraft was nigh but fortunately..

Friday night? Probably will be hittin' the bottle because with all updates; mods and plugins tend to break :o
    Just when I got used to them :/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Yeah, once the update goes live it'll be back to the Wild West with Avo and LXG releasing their hordes to wreak chaos upon Bukkitless servers across the globe... again :rolleyes:

Solitaire wrote: »
    Yeah, once the update goes live it'll be back to the Wild West with Avo and LXG releasing their hordes to wreak chaos upon Bukkitless servers across the globe... again :rolleyes:
    That doesn't happen so much tbh

The whitelist is still in effect, and the backups are usually very quicky updated

I meant generally - its amazing how fast the marginal elements of each server quietly declare their allegiance to one of the two and start causing merry havoc once there's no server logs :o Half the server starts looting the other half's chests and gear while the marginals start griefing and cheating :( Its rarely mentioned anymore as it was a very different picture once 1.8.0 went official, but until then the Boards.ie server was a warzone that escalated into some serious nastiness just before Bukkit went on :(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Official reviews are being rolled out now.

Eurogamer:
    10/10
    Beefjack:
    9.5/10

Hype machine is definitely rolling :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Hype machine is definitely rolling :p

I'd say so.

http://kotaku.com/5860864/minecraft-scores-perfect-first-review-game-selling-at-one-every-five-seconds
    Minecraft Scores Perfect First Review, Game Selling at One Every Five Seconds

Minecraft is meant to come out today, but Eurogamer already had a chance to play through the game and... beat it. That's right the retail version of Minecraft has stats, buffing and an endgame with poetic pay off. It also is a game that warrants a perfect score from the reviewer Alec Meer.

Anticipation for this full release of this game has been building for years, currently if you hop onto the Minecraft.net site you can see in real time that people are registering for the site at faster than one a second. Someone, somewhere seems to be buying a copy of the game nearly ever five seconds. Already sales have topped 4 million. And it's not out yet, not until later today.
    Despite the 10 out of 10 score, Meer does point out that there are some issues with the game. It's experience system and endgame both are undercooked, he says, as is its final boss battle.

But over all, Meer is a fan:

"Minecraft is a towering achievement in the very possibilities of gaming, and it does this without losing itself to either esoterica or cynicism. It is a game anyone can play and anyone can get something out of, no matter how skilled or imaginative they are. They will make something and they will have an experience that feels like theirs and theirs alone."

Head on over to Eurogamer for the review and Minecraft to be mesmerized by the steady tick of sales, or to pick up your own copy. We'll have our gut check and review coming later this month.

Can't connect to minecraft.net

FFS!!!!!!! >.< *RAGE*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

Tallon wrote: »
    Too... Much.. Potions!

Really no need for them, I'm thinking it will get good reviews! not amazing, but good

How wrong you were/are/will be! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

There's a boss battle in Minecraft? I always just assumed this was virtual lego, albeit with quite a few complexities.

Fewcifur wrote: »
    There's a boss battle in Minecraft? I always just assumed this was virtual lego, albeit with quite a few complexities.

There will be.

And very, very soon. Mojang is down. Wonder why...? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 DarylH

Only just started playing minecraft on my nephews computer recently and have got addicted will the game be available in shops or is it download only?

Yes, it is downloadable, on Minecraft.net and you must pay something in the region of 20 Euro, cannot remember exactly, I also have been informed it will be soon buyable as a Xbox Arcade Game, buyable off XBox Live.

right now,seriously lads....where the f***********?!

Just keep on trying to log in, they're not adding 1.0, its just the usual Mojang crash :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Colmo52

Notch just launched it at Minecon.

Updating now!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Dale Parish

Wait what?
    :O Updating!

• Advertisement

Its not supposed to be out until 10:30 :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 DarylH

Pfft we give out when releases are out late now you're giving out there here early? Lol

Just surprised.

Its not supposed to be out until 10:30 :confused:

He was speaking from 1pm-2.30 which is 9pm-10.30...he left early? probably for a vacation :P

Watched the "launch" aka the lamest thing I've ever seen in my life, played for about 2 minutes...so much mycellium (definitely gonna get on my nerves), no mobs other than one cow and a million sheep...

seriously, what's with all the sheep? o.O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Colmo52

Wait what?
    :O Updating!

As in minecraft updating in the client.

Runnin 1.0 server, pretty cool actually

If you're floating above the ground in Creative mode with Admin Powahs it sure is! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Completionist

Now we finally get to PLAY minecraft rather than just beta test it!:D

My opinion of 1.0.0 is: biggest pile of sh!te in MC history. It makes the 1.8 pre-releases look STABLE in comparison.

Only way to get a decent melee weapon is to farm EXP for hours upon hours upon hours. No way to do that in a practical fashion so its off to the modified mob farm to pump EXP for hours on end. Only then can you get a diamond sword so massively buffed that does slightly less damage than a diamond sword in 1.8. Yay. And as for the broken netcode... did no-one test it before it went out? I can't even connect to a server tonight :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Well you can expect bugs as its still in beta

Ohhh wait....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Was there not meant to be an adventure mode in this game? Was that shelved, or is the game just not finished?

It was just a fancy name for Survival. AFAIK there were supposed to be additional elements that got shelved, so its still called Survival.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Aww. I was hoping for more than that. :(

Advertisement