Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Information evening for new post primary school Maynooth

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I've heard some interesting tales about last night's meeting but they were from people who couldn't make it. I'll be talking to someone tomorrow night who was at it and I'll get the true story then.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 DevaRealta

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone knows what stage the process is at?

Is the site at Moyglare 100%? I live in Moyglare Hall and was not aware of the plans to build in the estate, noise, traffic etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

The site has been bought. And it's not in the estate, but the field between the estate and the county boundary.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭n0brain3r

The site is to the left of the avenue as you drive in from the main road. I've seen random activity in there over the past few years most recently some test holes where dug.

Yes I meant it will be in the same entrance as the estate and when the estate walk way opens it will be used as a short cut to the school which isn't very pleasing.
    It hasn't passed planning permission yet though has it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Don't think it has planning permission yet.
    The proposed plans I saw last year had two entrances - both roundabouts, one at the junction with the Moyglare Road, and one at the entrance to the estate. Don't see the estate being used as a shortcut.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭n0brain3r

If the walk way does ever open it will be 50/ 50 the distance looks about equal and if the shops are ever built (There's planning for 3 on The Walk) in the estate I'd say it would be definately be used the plans are here btw http://www.kildarevec.ie/newmaynoothschool/

Thanks guys, i suppose there isn't much I can do now, should have researched the surrounding land before buying I suppose!

I just think it takes away from the peaceful surroundings the way it is now, oh well!!!

Do either of you know of any further information evenings? I did hear that there were a few objections from families living on the Straffan side of Maynooth as the school is quite far from them and quite a long walk for kids........maybe they will object to the planning also...wishful thinking!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

We live on that side and I have no idea where they could put it over here and anyway sure the best thing about Maynooth is everything is walking distance of everything else. Moyglare is far out but teenagers should be well able for the walk:)

metalloa wrote: »
    So the Department of Education want two different schools on the same site. So now we are to have Maynooth Post Primary School and Maynooth Community College.The parents want a junior/senior school. Where do we go from here?

Good news tonight. The Minister informed the PA/PTA chairs in the Dail that there will be a junior cycle and a senior cycle school. Commonsense has prevailed. Full details of how they will be managed etc are still to be worked out but it's a victory for good campaigning and logic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Orion wrote: »
    Good news tonight. The Minister informed the PA/PTA chairs in the Dail that there will be a junior cycle and a senior cycle school. Commonsense has prevailed. Full details of how they will be managed etc are still to be worked out but it's a victory for good campaigning and logic.

Oh that is good news.
    Delighted to read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 metalloa

That's a great result for the parents and children of Maynooth. Congratulations to all involved in the campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,879 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Are you sure of that? Letter I've seen mentions "two vertical schools" and is dated 25th

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

same and is a bit hard to work out.

MYOB wrote: »
    Are you sure of that? Letter I've seen mentions "two vertical schools" and is dated 25th

I was talking to someone who was in with the minister. And i got verification from another. Can you post the letter?

sent

I completely forgot to reply to this. Apologies.

The situation is that there will be two schools on paper. Maynooth PPS and Maynooth Community College will exist and have their own roll numbers. This is necessary for legal reasons.

However, they will fall under a new entity called Maynooth Education Campus. This overseeing body will be responsible for a single enrolment policy for the two schools which will share all resources. This Campus is a new idea and the Minister is amending the Education Act to allow for such a body. The single enrolment policy will mean that children will be allocated to one school or the other - and this will be their school for all official business such as state exams etc.

But in practice there will be one school, one uniform, one enrolment policy and one overseeing management structure. Kids from each school will be in the same classrooms as effectively be school colleagues. Each school will have it's own board of management but reporting into the Campus board.

It's not a 100% victory but it is 90% and the practice will be pretty much what we all wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭SQ2

So it won't be junior and senior school then?

SQ2 wrote: »

No, that was effectively impossible due to the religious ethos rules - the Community College is not going to have a religious ethos, as the plebiscite was strongly against the religious option; but the existing MPPS has a Catholic ethos. And the Catholic Church didn't show any signs of being willing to relinquish that.

This works around that issue to prevent the potential inter-school rivarly/bullying risk/"better school" perception in the best way possible.

I like the idea of a campus and is would be awesome when we get the Gaelcolaiste if it went in there too.
    They can share resources have awesome pe and music facilities.

• Advertisement

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I like the idea of a campus and is would be awesome when we get the Gaelcolaiste if it went in there too.
    They can share resources have awesome pe and music facilities.

There'll be an Irish stream all the way to LC anyway - I don't think there is ever going to be a Gaelcolaiste. If one existed and was integrated in the same manner it would effectively be identical.

There is if the irish stream have a certain amount of kids enrolled for I think it is at least 5 years.I think it was 70 kids for 5 years.
    There is a major difference between an irish stream and an irish school.

Moonbeam wrote: »
    There is a major difference between an irish stream and an irish school.

If integrated as the two schools will be here, what differences?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Interesting.
    I am concerned as to the mechanics of how this will work. I'm sure you don't have all the details but will this mean religion is taught in all the school? Will the RCC have input into the new school if children are effectively all in the one campus. Do, for example, all new entrant 1st years share classrooms for all classes or are they going to be seperated?How are children allocated to the schools?
    Oh so many questions!
    Thanks a million for coming back to us though...

SQ2 wrote: »

in practice that is exactly what it will be. kids in each 'school' will in the same classes. Sharing all resources means exactly that. The two school thing is a construct to allow for this.

No, that was effectively impossible due to the religious ethos rules - the Community College is not going to have a religious ethos, as the plebiscite was strongly against the religious option; but the existing MPPS has a Catholic ethos. And the Catholic Church didn't show any signs of being willing to relinquish that.

This works around that issue to prevent the potential inter-school rivarly/bullying risk/"better school" perception in the best way possible.

The Catholic Church has no standing in the current MPPS. It is a VEC school with a catholic ethos on paper - that's it. It is not a church run school and hasn't even had a catholic chaplain in many years. In practice it is a multi-denominational school that caters for many different religions and none. Nobody in Maynooth even considered it a catholic ethos school until this all started. In practice, while there will still be the MPPS and MCC as the official schools, the Maynooth Education Campus will be the 'school' that kids in Maynooth and surrounding areas will go to.

Call me Al wrote: »
    Interesting.
    I am concerned as to the mechanics of how this will work. I'm sure you don't have all the details but will this mean religion is taught in all the school? Will the RCC have input into the new school if children are effectively all in the one campus. Do, for example, all new entrant 1st years share classrooms for all classes or are they going to be seperated?How are children allocated to the schools?
    Oh so many questions!
    Thanks a million for coming back to us though...

Religion is taught as a subject in secondary school not as instruction.

The RCC has no say in the running of the existing school so will have none in the new school. The current MPPS is a VEC school - not a church run school. The reasons for its nominal 'catholic ethos' was to allow it to exist in the first place as the bishops were objecting to the VEC being patron for a secondary school in Maynooth at the outset.

The common enrollment policy means that children will be allocated to one school or the other but will share classes. That's the plan anyway, subject to approval by the 3 BoMs and the VEC - which should be a formality.

Orion wrote: »
    The Catholic Church has no standing in the current MPPS. It is a VEC school with a catholic ethos on paper - that's it. It is not a church run school and hasn't even had a catholic chaplain in many years. In practice it is a multi-denominational school that caters for many different religions and none. Nobody in Maynooth even considered it a catholic ethos school until this all started. In practice, while there will still be the MPPS and MCC as the official schools, the Maynooth Education Campus will be the 'school' that kids in Maynooth and surrounding areas will go to.

I'm aware of all that, but the point still is that the Catholic Church has legal status over MPPS, for arcane 60s political reasons, that is effectively unremovable.

There'll be an Irish stream all the way to LC anyway - I don't think there is ever going to be a Gaelcolaiste. If one existed and was integrated in the same manner it would effectively be identical.

Actually the letter says that there will be an Aonad "if required". The problem for people who want this is that a lot of them don't send their kids to the Irish speaking junior cycle stream - some kids go to the English stream and some to other schools. The numbers currently don't demand an Aonad as I understand it. If people want an Aonad they will have to enrol to show the interest or it may never happen.

• Advertisement

I'm aware of all that, but the point still is that the Catholic Church has legal status over MPPS, for arcane 60s political reasons, that is effectively unremovable.

That's not true. It's a VEC school with a catholic ethos. That is a completely different kettle of fish to a catholic run school. The church has no status over MPPS. It doesn't even have a representative on the board - in a church run school the chairman would be a local priest/bishop.

Advertisement